Published: 2012/01/21

Dickey Betts Will Tour in 2012, Accept Grammy with The Allman Brothers Band

Photo by Jeff Ufberg

Though he never actually retired from touring—as he claimed a few years ago—Dickey Betts has limited his nights on the road recently. But the guitarist will tour in 2012. Dickey Betts & Great Southern will pay select dates in March, April and June, with the possibility that additional shows will be added in the coming months. In the final few months of 2011, Betts performed with both onetime Great Southern/Allman Brothers Band guitarist Dan Toler and Gregg Allman’s son Devon.

In other news, Betts has confirmed that he will attend the 2012 Grammy Awards, where the Allman Brothers Band will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award. A note on the guitarist’s Facebook page says, “We are very proud and excited to announce that the Allman Brothers Band was been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award, which will be presented to the band at the 2012 Grammy Awards, taking place on Sunday, February 12. Dickey Betts will be on hand to accept the award along with the other members of the band. This will be an exciting and historic moment that you do not want to miss!” There is no word yet as to whether Betts will perform with his former band.

Here’s a look at Dickey Betts & Great Southern’s upcoming shows

March 9 Jackson, CA—Jackson Rancheria Casino &
March 10 Las Vegas, NV—Canner Y Casino
April 25 New Brunswick, NJ—State Theatre
April 26 Ridgefield, CT—Ridgefield Playhouse
April 28 New York, NY—Concert Hall
June 7 Bethlehem, PA—Musikfest Café

Comments

Shawn Knoder January 21, 2012, 13:43:22

Good! He’s earned it along with the rest of the band. Bout time to bury the hatchet…time goes by like a hurricane….

CHARLIE LAND January 21, 2012, 13:55:02

CONGRATULATIONS, BROTHER.... SUCH A WELL DESERVED AWARD FOR SUCH A FINE, ACCOMPLISHED, VIRTUOSO, MUSICIANS/BAND. DICKEY – BE SURE TO RAISE THAT AWARD REALLY HIGH —- and LET DUANE KNOW – IT’S FOR HIM AS WELL.... RESPECTFULLY and SINCERELY, CHARLIE LAND (GOD BLESS....)

Mike B January 21, 2012, 14:38:29

One of the best guitarists of all time.

Jimmy Mitchell from Juliette January 21, 2012, 18:37:44

Great to see you back out of “retirement”. This is well deserved and the karma is coming full cu=rcle… saw Jaimo’s Jazzy Band and Gred at the Ruth Echard Hall the other night. Got a chance to catch up and glad to see how everyone is mellowing… Finally ghot a copy of the RR Hall of fame acoustic concert with Allen and Warren… hilarious in retrospect… always good to hear you are doing well.. ‘bout time!

dancin bear January 21, 2012, 18:52:42

Great news`~ congrats to all the abb family. You deserve it

Randall Gay January 22, 2012, 02:24:26

Congratulations Mr. Betts & The Allman Bros. You guys really earned it & deserve it.. KEEP ON ROCKIN’, Sincerely,Randall Gay

Cal January 22, 2012, 07:04:12

Great news!!

susiecue January 22, 2012, 12:05:13

And also for Berry Oakley!

Giles January 22, 2012, 16:34:35

A brilliant, gifted player and a hopeless nasty drunk. I’m glad he’s involved in the lifetime achievement award, he’s a truly unique artist. The ABB however, are on a whole other level. DB will never be allowed on stage with those dudes, he totally blew it and in doing so allowed the Warren / Derek magic that literally saved that band to occur. Dickie will stick to the state fair free gigs.

cdg123see January 22, 2012, 23:57:36

Giles,
Thank your lucky stars to be able to see DB where ever he plays, with the ABB or for free at the state fair. I appreciate the current ABB band as they are in my top 3 along with WSP and SCI. But make no mistake, the late 80’s early-mid 90’s with Dickey, Warren and Woody were the best years that they ever had. Respect to Duane and Derek. Live at the Orpheum in Macon from 1991 is incredible in case anyone wants to hear what I mean.

David January 23, 2012, 03:24:11

Congratulations to the Cat in the Hat, the one and only Mr. Betts— by far the best songwriter the ABB ever had.

BADGE January 23, 2012, 16:24:50

I wonder if all former members (or their survivors) of the band are receiving the award.

joe January 23, 2012, 19:48:09

i hate it when fans post negative stuff about famous people the dont even know.

Atlanta's Burning Down January 24, 2012, 12:48:08

C’mon, Dickey. How bout a show in Georgia?

rob January 24, 2012, 23:01:46

cdg, i agree that the betts /warren combo played some hellacious good music in the late 80’s/early 90’s ABB era. where it all begins was damn good. but better then duane? the man who started it all? sorry, dude/dudette, nobody EVER came close. you go back and listen to fillmore, eat a peach, then tell me duane ain’t the finest to ever play the blues. wail on, skydog! rip

GHB January 25, 2012, 08:53:21

The Orpheum is not in Macon. Only a portion of that disc is from Macon City Auditorium. Maybe only the picture…

George W. Bush January 25, 2012, 22:42:28

Cheers Dickey! And Duane! And all the rest of the Brothers, too. Thank you all.

Shaun January 27, 2012, 14:46:49

I’ve heard about Dickey’s alcohol problems, and the violence that allegedly occurred, that led to his dismissal. If true, it probably needed to happen. There’s no excuse for violence towards friends, co-workers, spouses, etc., so he got what was coming to him. But Dickey still deserves his due as a great musician and songwriter. No doubt. Likewise, ABB’s flourished as a live band without him. I may even like the Derek/Warren version of the band better than the early-mid 90’s lineup (which was also great, though the original band with Duane will always be the best). I just wish they’d make another album together… Hittin’ the Note was a gem, and it was great to hear Gregg wirting, singing and playing at his best once again. If Dickey’s cleaned up his life, I hope Gregg and the others will be able to open their hears and share the stage with him at the Grammys, and maybe play some gigs too? I don’t think he’ll ever rejoin ABB full-time again, but a guest shot here or there would be awesome.

Rico January 29, 2012, 20:40:04

Bring back Dickey and Warren ABB!

JEREMY January 30, 2012, 17:35:27

Giles, the resident ABB expert. What a tool.

JP98 January 30, 2012, 22:11:40

The Orpheum, and the picture, are in Boston…

JOJO February 1, 2012, 00:03:49

I was lucky enough to be the son of a huge ABB fan and have seen them over 50 times. I was born in 86 and one of the first memories was my dad putting the earplugs in my ears as we crept all over NC in search of the sound. I was lucky enough to see Betts with the ABB as well as the late great Allen Woody, over 20 times. However, I was also there,. and old enough to recall, the breakdowns during 94. I mean we saw 3 shows that year, which for us was next to none, and man he was outta control. Purposefully singing wrong lines, looking at the band members like he wanted to kill em. ABB didnt just kick him oyut cause of his coke and alcohol problems, it was due to the fact that he grew apart from the band. Now that being said I have seen him with Great Southern recently and wow, man does he still wail. I really hope like someone mentioned they can bury the hacthett and let Dickey join em at the Wanee or somewhere of the sort. I love these guys and Dickey to, they are like my extended family. Most blessings and congratulations to them gettin that grammy, still my favorite band touring.

Cal February 1, 2012, 16:08:14

I hope everyone can get along for just one night.

bigdog February 12, 2012, 02:40:55

Wonderful award for the greatest band to ever play. For the original members, the award is overdue and well deserved. It is great that Dickey will be on hand to accept the award. I only wish Duane and Berry could be here too, but they are, in spirit. God bless Duane Allman.