Published: 2012/03/18

Grace Potter, Randall Bramblett, Bruce Katz and More Join The Allman Brothers Band

Photo by Dino Perrucci

Numerous guests joined The Allman Brothers Band during their St. Patrick’s Day performance at New York’s Beacon Theatre last night. Partway through the Brothers’ first set, Gregg Allman Band keyboardist Bruce Katz emerged for this run’s first “Sky is Crying” as well as “Statesboro Blues.” A few songs later, Sea Level/Traffic multi-instrumentalist Randall Bramblett—who was in the area for a performance with guitarist Geoff Achison at Terra Blues’ Hittin’ the Note party—added saxophone to “Desdemona,” while Katz played keyboards.

At the end of The Allman Brothers Band’s now regular second set acoustic segment, Bramblett returned along with first time Allman Brothers Band guest Grace Potter to sing on Fleetwood Mac’s “Gold Dust Woman.” Though Haynes and Potter have performed the number together in a variety of other settings, this was the first time the song has appeared during an Allman Brothers Band show. Interestingly enough, Allman stepped offstage before the cover, leaving Potter and Bramblett alone with younger Allman Brothers Band members Haynes, Derek Trucks, Oteil Burbridge and Marc Quiñones (ABB founding drummers Butch Trucks and Jaimoe usually sit out the band’s acoustic songs).

The surprises continued: Haynes, Trucks, Burbridge and Quiñones plugged in, Bramblett moved behind Allman’s organ and ABB tech. James van der Bogert took over on drums for a powerful rendition of Neil Young’s “Southern Man.” Potter traded verses with Haynes throughout the song and even moved to the organ for a bit to play alongside Bramblett. It was the rare time The Allman Brothers Band have played an electric number without any founding member onstage, but also one of this run’s most memorable moments.

After Potter and Bramblett left, Allman, Trucks, Jaimoe and Katz returned for “Aint’ Wasting Time.” Later in the set, Bramlett and Geoff Achison also took the stage for “That’s What Love Will Make You Do.” The Allman Brothers Band then invited out Katz one final time for “Jessica” and “One Way Out.”

The Allman Brothers Band will return to the Beacon on Tuesday.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via The Allman Brothers Band’s homepage

Saturday, March 17, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

Set 1:
Midnight Rider
Trouble No More
I Walk on Gilded Splinters
Sky is Crying (with Bruce Katz)
Statesboro Blue (with Bruce Katz)
Egypt
Desdemona (with Bruce Katz and Randall Bramblett)
Hoochie Coochie Man

Set 2:
Acoustic
These Days
Dark End of the Street
Gold Dust Woman (with Grace Potter and Randall Bramblett)

Electric
Southern Man (with Grace Potter and Randall Bramblett)
Ain’t Wastin Time (with Bruce Katz)
Maydelle>
Manic Depression
That’s What Love Will Make You Do (with Randell Bramlett and Geoff Achison)
Jessica (with Bruce Katz)

E:
One Way Out (with Bruce Katz)

Comments

firingline March 18, 2012, 06:32:15

The Allman Bros really need to write some new music. I am sure this was a hell of a show,but they have turned into a cover band.

Cloudy Knight March 18, 2012, 10:06:19

I disagree, firingline. I’d rather hear the Allmans’ take on a classic or obscure cover than hear some lame new original. There’s a wealth of songs out there to interpret.

E March 18, 2012, 10:59:03

The show was awesome. The way I see it, it’s more of a “choose to” rather than “have to” kind of thing. They don’t cover because they need to (for whatever reason), this is how they roll.

Robert Spadafora March 18, 2012, 11:33:55

st. Pat show at Beacon great not exactly my favorite band of alltime but what a great show sat in upper balc the sound was great and the band was fantastic would like to go again latter in week wonderful show thank you Allman Brothers and I have been to over one hundred concerts in my days so I can tell a good fom great show and this was great

M March 18, 2012, 12:42:19

Grace & Warren were a knockout on Gold Dust Women!

JP76 March 18, 2012, 18:46:18

Grace Potter dances like Elaine from Seinfeld!

Kevin marchal March 19, 2012, 09:19:04

NOTHING can touch the Brothers at The Beacon!

PM March 19, 2012, 10:14:29

this thing is turning into Lynyrd Skynyrd, is this the ABB anymore? please Warren get back behind the Mule, and Derek ditch the wife and get back with the Derek Trucks Band.Y’all have alot of new stuff to offer.

Phil March 19, 2012, 11:32:24

This was a great show. I was there. Faaaaar from Lynyrd Skynyrd.

PM March 19, 2012, 12:30:30

I’m glad you liked i and it probably was good but it wasn’t the ABB

KD March 19, 2012, 12:42:40

Sat show was incredible and the rendition of Southern Man would have made Neil proud. Weird that no original Brothers were on the stage but it was a great twist to the night. Randall and Geoff were at the big Hittin the Note party in the village that afternoon and both were excited about sitting in that evening. A great day and a great show. One of best Ive been to.

RK March 19, 2012, 15:09:56

What’s the fuss about original members? Who cares? ABB is Warren Haynes’ band now, and I have a feeling Gregg is just fine with that. They are clearly preparing the crowd for a transition to Gregg-less shows in the next few years.

Fryan13 March 19, 2012, 17:58:52

To those of you who say this wasn’t the Allman Brothers all I can say is that, yes it isn’t the ABB of the 70’s…. but it is the ABB of 2012 and they brought the house down!! One other thought….. when the opened with Midnight Rider, it sounded a lot like the old ABB to me.

leon March 20, 2012, 13:37:00

I was at this show and it was a very good show. That potter gal can sing. I like when they did southern man. The sound was very good. I was alsdo at the friday show and the brothers really kicked butt.

jambandguy March 20, 2012, 15:53:33

I won’t get into my qualifications as an attendee of many many shows but from the late 60’s til now I enjoy going to shows. I have seen just about everyone live and the Allman’s dozens of times. I really enjoyed the old days but I aslo enjoy growing with them. Notice I didn’t say “old”. They are one of my favorites to see because they don’t do all the old stuff. I enjoy seeing “covers” of Neil Young, Stevie Ray, Van Morrison, The Dead…If you want to see “Ramblin’ Man forget it it. Go see these guys jam, interpret and improv. They are great. Thier new stuff comes individually. Check out Warren’s new stuff and PLEASE...ditch Tedeschi? Revelator is awesome. I only write this in case any of the band read it so that they know the hacks above are clueless and did not enjoy their one and only show. The rest of us know the deal and really really enjoy it. See you in Boston this summer?

jfish March 20, 2012, 20:30:39

I was there for both Fri and Sat night and I wish I was going back tonight. The earlier comments about ABB needing new material are completely misguided. That band is amazing and the covers are a treat. An American Treasure.

RST March 21, 2012, 10:41:45

Lynyrd Skynyrd does crazy covers and has a slew of guests from across the musical spectrum?!? ahhhh…....NO Anyway, nice to see they finally cross-pollinated with Geoff Achison, such a brilliant player. LONG overdue.

DWJ April 1, 2012, 10:00:52

It is interesting that original ABB members didn’t perform on this song. Especially Butch Trucks who plays on everything and never leaves the stage. Remember now, many people of the south weren’t too receptive of this song when it first came out.