Published: 2012/05/24

Jim James Talks Solo Album, Boston New Year’s Eve and Phish

Photo by Jeffrey Dupuis

My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James revealed some new information about his forthcoming solo album in a recent interview with Rolling Stone. James mentioned that the album features some of his “childhood friends” and that he plans to recruit some other old pals and bandmates for an upcoming solo tour. James—whose only other proper solo release is an EP of George Harrison covers—has been working on the project for several years.

“One of my childhood friends, who was in the first band I was ever in, plays drums on most of the record,” he says in the article. “Now I’m trying to put the band together to go on tour with after it comes out. I’m getting back together with friends I haven’t played with in a long time, from home. It’s very exciting.”

He also confirms rumors that MMJ plan to play Boston on New Year’s Eve because Phish has already booked Madison Square Garden. “It’s a shame because we wanted to do more New Year’s shows at the Garden, but Phish booked it for the next four years,” James says. “We haven’t confirmed this yet, but we’re close to finalizing a New Year’s show in Boston. It’s just not one hundred percent yet. The crowd there is always really rowdy and fun. It would also be an easy travel for people in New York or Philly. Again, it’s not one hundred percent, but we’re all kind of drooling over the idea right now.”

Like other major arena acts, Phish often puts holds on marquee venues for big nights like New Year’s Eve months or years in advance and then changes their plans closer to their show date.

Comments

Greg May 24, 2012, 21:30:33

I remember an off year when Boyz II Men nabbed the garden for new years, so ya never know!

Greg May 24, 2012, 21:30:37

g baby May 24, 2012, 22:17:49

don’t forget, it was boyz II men AND babyface shit was hot

chris May 25, 2012, 02:02:40

do like mmj & jim, but leaking info that phish has no intention of announcing for months because you wanted to play there/wanted extra publicity seems uncool…

Richard May 25, 2012, 07:45:12

Yea, makes you wonder if Phish wanted that info leaked. If these were rap singers somebody would be getting shot soon.

KingRhinoNJ May 25, 2012, 09:32:51

.... Poor Phishies … Take your bitterness back to PT … Aft the hideous New Year’s run this past time around, who even wants to make the effort to see the debacle that is Phish 3.0 …...

agreed May 25, 2012, 10:48:01

Yeah agreed this tool should not have leaked this info..probably a lwsuit in the bands future not to mention the people at MSG probably wont be pleased either.

J May 25, 2012, 11:18:59

Unprofessional move by Jim. @KingRhi: I’ll be back at msg. sounds like youre the bitter internet baby.

WordIsBorn May 25, 2012, 12:03:01

Who honestly gives a shit one way or the other? Isn’t that good news for Phish phans? MSG! Party time! Something to do for New Years! Get off Jimmy’s back. Now everyone gets to look forward to Phish for three more years or whatever. A lawsuit would lay bare exactly how craven Phish is for extra dollars. A band of pros would say, “Oh, well, since it’s out already…” and move on with their summer tour. I’m all ears for someone to explain the problem in non-sycophantic terms, but I just don’t see the big deal. Is it because now Fishman won’t get to make a new video announcing the show? Bummer. I’d pay good money to watch either band play there. Phish always rips, and MMJ’s 2008 NYE show remains an all-time favorite bootleg. Chill out, folks.

AK May 25, 2012, 12:59:00

Phish always has MSG on hold for New Year’s – same with a lot of venues they frequent. Most people already know this, and thus Jimmy James making a comment about it is NOT NEWS. I guarantee NOBODY in the Phish camp cares even the littlest bit that this info was dropped. Don’t you guys have better shit to do than speculate about potential arguments that don’t even really exist.?

TCinNYC May 25, 2012, 13:06:18

JJ’s statement carries little weight in my eyes. If Phish decides they want to do NYE at MSG they will announce it when they are ready. I don’t think they are upset JJ said what he said. There hasn’t been one word uttered from their camp to suggest it. If anything I think it illustrates how influential Phish is that they would be allowed to get a hold on MSG for 3-4 years. I guess thats what happens when you sell out 4 show NYE runs consistently, something im not sure MMJ could do. (& thats not a knock, most bands couldn’t do that). For the record this old school phan thinks Phish 3.0 is great. Psyched for NYE in the round room!!

Itschris May 25, 2012, 14:17:11

You guys are losers

j May 25, 2012, 14:29:07

Methinks mister james confuses the concept of hold slips with actually booking…..

kyle May 25, 2012, 15:15:16

Soo its cool to blow up phish’s spot???? And one bad run doesnt mean phish 3.0 sux. go back to the hole u came from you dirty ass wook. Jaded much. We all know phish owns the garden on nye. Some of the best phish shows as well as rock shows have been held by phish at the gardedn. So dont go and thank you in advance for the ticket you douce!

kye May 25, 2012, 15:17:31

oh and when mmj can sell out msg in 20 minutes for 4 straight nights give me a call bc that and that reason alone is why msg does not want to deal with lack of ticket sales and having to block behind the stage bc they cant sell those tickets

Itschris May 25, 2012, 17:02:45

You guys are f’ing losers

Eric May 29, 2012, 15:11:22

Hope the do the webcast again so I can watch on my couch and not have to deal with annoying phish fans.

JJ June 1, 2012, 11:05:26

Dr. Dog is what people should be listening to and going to see. I was a Phish fan in college and then a MMJ fan but both bands don’tt do it for me the way they used to. Dr. Dog is really fun and still writing great songs. Phish is still and awesome band but they pretty much wrote their best songs a long time ago.

Derek August 26, 2012, 10:55:56

Seems like most of the people on this thread miss the point of what these bands even represent, which is love. I’m sure your lives are worth the hate that you all represent, but can’t we all just get along. Music is not about what most of you have made it out to be. Enjoy your day and listen to what you want. Maybe then you can be happy, get on with your life, and not have to waste energy on the bad vibes which you have spewed on this forum. Peace.

Marty November 27, 2012, 03:48:02

MMJ isn’t even on Phish’s radar.