Published: 2012/07/25

The Allman Brothers Band and Santana Share "Mountain Jam"

Photos by Dino Perrucci

Carlos Santana sat in with The Allman Brothers Band for the first time in decades last night. The collaboration took place at Wantagh, NY’s Jones Beach Theatre on the second night of The Allman Brothers Band and Santana’s co-headlining tour. Partway through The Allman Brothers Band’s show-closing set, Carlos Santana emerged to play guitar on the classic jam-vehicle “Mountain Jam.” He remained onstage as the song segued into “Smokestack Lightning” and then back into the end of “Mountain Jam.” The song also included a tease of “In A Silent Way.” Soon after, a more frequent ABB guest, Susan Tedeschi, sang with The Allman Brothers Band on a cover of Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right.”

Santana’s last known onstage collaboration with The Allman Brothers Band was at Bill Graham’s Crackdown Concert at New York’s Madison Square Garden in 1986. In more recent years, the guitarist has toured with Derek Trucks Band.

The Allman Brothers Band and Santana’s co-headlining tour continues at Holmdel, NJ’s PNC Bank Arts Center this evening. Santana will close the show.

Visit Relix.com for a video of last night’s collaboration.

Comments

Yossarian July 25, 2012, 10:57:35

Has anyone seen the ABB yet this summer? How’s Gregg? Is he playing the full shows now?

Mule Rose July 25, 2012, 11:12:49

It was a great night of brilliant musicians and we hated for it to end. The crowd was up,moving and singing along. Great photos as usual Dino. We were too far back to see you at work (play).

winterlander July 25, 2012, 12:32:48

Gregg on stage entire ABB set Voice – Good but not strong. Reading lyric sheets with wind (remember this is Jones Beach.) occasionally turning pages on him until corrected. If ever necessary, and it may have happened briefly once or twice, Warren is more than able to support or carry his vocals. It’s Betts’s singing that is still missing. Keyboard – Decent, but “there” and hit his solos -Accompaniment fine – No small acoustic set – He’s a pro – There’s nothing more that can be expected from any musician when those guitarists share a stage? Haynes and Trucks really know how to make a guest feel welcome. They opened up a generous amount of time and space for Santana to solo and shine. And it paid off spectacularly for the audience. 5 stars

Yossarian July 25, 2012, 14:50:57

Thanks for the recap, winterlander!

Grey July 25, 2012, 15:31:27

I f’in love the Allmans. The Allman Brothers at Great Woods in the summer of 95 was 1st concert I ever went to. Not only was it my 1st time in a sea of 14,000, it was the 1st time I witnessed music’s expansive power. I could see the magic just as much as I could hear it. I couldn’t tell you the setlist but I have a distinct, almost tangible memory of how crisp the guitars sounded, their chime deeply coded into my psyche. Allen Woody was so gnarly I began saving for my 1st bass that day. For probably the next decade the band came through town every summer, sometimes making 3 separate loops through Mansfield. Though parts of their lineup has experience a variety of change, The Allman Brothers experience has not. There are not many bands that have toured as long and as hard as the Allmans, and I’d go so far as to say – none have remained as consistent. If you haven’t seen them, do it this summer and get a taste of one the original purveyors of the jamband.

rivers gonna rise July 25, 2012, 17:11:34

Long live the Allman Brothers band!!!

Gary July 25, 2012, 21:57:46

Ill be seeing them in Raleigh NC next month. That looks like Tedeschi is playing Duane’s old axe. I saw Junior Mack play it in Macon in April. Glad to see it getting played.

Gary July 25, 2012, 21:57:46

jsolo61654 July 26, 2012, 09:07:15

The ABB were weak and un-engaged at PNC last night. Derrick Trucks looked like he was playing by himself in his garage… not “performing” for an audience. Gregg Allman appears to be catatonic and hid behind his organ all night.
Their music was repetative and boring… same old jam… over and over again…
Santana on the other hand; was his usual guitar-god.
Too bad he brought Derrick and Wayne on stage to play with them.

Whealy July 26, 2012, 21:35:03

Wayne??? who the hell is Wayne? I think you mean Warren Haynes. Just shows that your review was bias based on the fact that you have know idea what you are talking about..

DaddyLongLegs July 28, 2012, 10:49:45

Was lucky enough to see Santana and the ABB at Saratoga Springs last night. It was like seeing two great concerts for the price of one. Yes, Dwayne was a legend, but I think it’s time to acknowledge that Derrick Trucks and Warren Haynes deserve to be called legends themselves: the playing was extraordinary, and both were on fire. Greg seemed to be struggling a bit but still held his own on a lot of the vocals. For me, there’s a tendency to look back at the original band and not appreciate the mastery of the current lineup. Sorry to have lost Dwayne but so very glad I’ve had the chance to hear Warren, Derrick and others! Took me a few songs to adjust to Santana—kind of a mental shift, but his band was also great. I’m less into some of the more pop-ish focus he gives some of his music, but it was all excellent, and his classic pieces and latin vibes were terrific and damn, but that man can still play!

DC August 3, 2012, 10:07:34

“Dwayne”?...“Derrick”?...too many jello shots and far too little history, comprehension and memory retention…ABB better in theatres like Beacon and Orpheum/Boston these days tho: that’s where they get the intelligent fans and they play for them rather than dabblers and dilettantes that inhabit the sheds…

Bombadil January 26, 2014, 16:27:59

who is Dwayne? what is he talking about? He obviously is a less-than novice ABB fan