Published: 2012/08/06

Neil Young & Crazy Horse Kick Off First Tour Since 2004

On Friday night, Neil Young & Crazy Horse kicked off their first tour in almost a decade at Albuquerque, NM’s The Pavilion. With the exception of a single-song performance of The Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” in February, this was Young’s first performance with Crazy Horse since the Greendale tour ended in 2004.

Crazy Horse’s current incarnation—the band’s third iteration—features Young, guitarist/keyboardist Frank Sampedro, bassist Billy Talbot and drummer Ralph Molina. The band charged through a 15-song set of Young classics, including several jammed out numbers. The group also debuted seven new songs: “Born in Ontario,” “Walk Like A Giant,” “Twisted Road,” “For The Love Of Man,” “Ramada Inn,” “Psychedelic Pill” and “Jesus Chariot.” Only one of those songs, “Jesus Chariot,” appears on Americana, the new album of reworked children’s songs and traditional numbers Crazy Horse released in June. (“Jesus Chariot” is a rearrangement of “She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain”). The rest of the songs may appear on the second Crazy Horse album Young promises in the coming months.

Then, last night Young and Crazy Horse opened a two-night run at Morrison, CO’s Red Rocks. The group offered almost the exact same set, but dropped “Jesus Chariot” from their setlist and encored with “Over and Over.”

Young and Crazy Horse will return to Red Rocks this evening.

Here’s a look at Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s recent setlists via Sugarmountain.com

Friday, August 3, The Pavilion, NM

Love And Only Love
Powderfinger
Born in Ontario*
Walk Like A Giant*
The Needle And The Damage Done
Twisted Road*
For The Love Of Man*
Ramada Inn*
Cinnamon Girl
F*!#in’ Up
Psychedelic Pill*
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

E:

For The Love Of Man
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
F*!#in’ Up
Psychedelic Pill
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

E:
Over And Over

Comments

mark August 6, 2012, 11:00:48

can’t wait to see him at the garden floor seats

Jennigirl August 6, 2012, 11:13:57

I love Neil Young and have seen him live in the past. We were so excited for the concert…beautiful night at Red Rocks – ready to enjoy some of our favorite music from one of our favorite artists. Instead we got an entire concert of new material (which is good music) but felt like the classics were intentionally left out for song after song of never ending guitar jams. Those jams would have been fine for a few songs, but took over the entire concert. You could tell how excited everyone was to be there at the beginning. Tons of energy and cheers….as each song was played you could see the crowd deflating and loosing interests. When you pay 100-250 dollars a ticket and you spend 5-6 hours driving, parking, walking a mile up hill, listening to back up bands, etc. you HOPE you be able to dance and sing along with some of the songs…...didn’t happen. Still love Neil and Crazy Horse, just disappointed I didn’t get to hear ANY of my favorites –

Lou Dobbs August 6, 2012, 12:12:57

No ‘Albuquerque’ in Albuquerque, NM?

me August 6, 2012, 12:22:33

@Jennigirl… I’m a bit confused… you say a night full of new material?? Powderfinger, Needle, Mr Soul, Cinnamon Girl, Hey, Hey… how do you say “an entire concert of new material”??? Regardless, the ticket prices are ridiculous!

J Eng August 6, 2012, 13:02:45

Me, I think Jennigirl complaints come from the fact that relative to the length of the show, she wasn’t familiar with much of the music. My wife had the same comment. The new stuff is complete with long extended jams. “Walk Like a Giant” ended with a very strange acid rock jam that went on too long. In general, the show was very hard rock, not intended for the meek. On the other hand, Neil and band were clearly having a great time and if you love the Crazy Horse sound (as I do), you’ll love the show. Red Rock is absolutely spectacular. The sound was loud and clear even at the top. I’m not sure how well it will sound indoors somewhere with all the feedback and noise.

worthywads August 6, 2012, 13:39:24

My guess is Jennygirl doesn’t like or know any of his music with Crazy Horse. I saw the Crazy Horse I wanted to see. Extended guitar freakouts were the theme. Neil has long made spectacular noise with those guys. My beef is the Red Rocks show was way too short, he could have played for 3+ hours not the 2 hours set we got.

Nathan Johnson August 6, 2012, 13:46:24

LOL at people getting on a site called JAMbands to complain about a band jamming. Hahahahahaha

sluggobeast August 6, 2012, 13:58:21

Neil Young & Crazy Horse is all about jammed out, loud make your ears bleed, garage rock. Love Neil, love the Horse!

Chris Becraft August 6, 2012, 14:17:06

I can’t wait to see Neil and hear his NEW music, not the same re-treaded b.s. that most artists are living on. Thank God he is still viable.

me August 6, 2012, 14:57:46

@J Eng… your point seems reasonable… but I questioned her since she mentions that she loves him, one of her favorite artists… not sure how you can make that statement when at least a third of the song selections were clearly old-school… and the rest certainly sounds to be exactly what you’d expect him to do with Crazy Horse… just like you would expect a much lower key show when he was touring with his wife… which is what that was as well. @ Nathan… never even gave that viewpoint a thought but it you’re right… pretty funny complaining about jams on jambands %^)

Chris Brewer August 7, 2012, 17:32:35

I agree that this was a Neil & Crazyhorse show, and not a Neil solo show. It was my first time seeing him/them live and I LOVED IT. Of course, in ABQ – we got $26 lawn tickets. Very loud, very trippy, jammed out songs and lots of distortion. Classic CH…. Love and Only Love!

wnp August 8, 2012, 01:39:55

I saw the Sunday show and it was my first time at Red Rocks, and first time to see NY play live with the Horse. The song selection was exactly what you’d expect from Neil Young.. totally unpredictable.. didn’t play a single tune from his current album but I loved it… and Neil Young with Crazy Horse has always been a jam band loaded with repeating riffs and plenty of distortion. That band put out a hell of a lot of energy and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The new album will be great.

Petriedish August 21, 2012, 22:07:21

I will play devils advocate here re @jenni. The old songs presented are Neil and horse tunes I can hear anytime on redundant radio. Those are tunes they use a crowd pleasers. What about some “everybody knows this is no where”...Ill take a “down by the river”...although crazy horse was not listed on the cover of “after the gold rush” they played on the songs “when you dance” “lonesome me” and “I believe in you”
Zuma…come on an absolute masterpiece.
So there are some tunes that true Neil young and crazy horse fans can swoon over.
Btw…the set list is looking the same so far, just slight tweaks. I hope this is not the tour in a nutshell