Published: 2012/08/13

The Allman Brothers’ Peach Music Festival

Photo by Chris Hoffman via The Peach Fest’s Facebook page

The Allman Brothers Band and Zac Brown Band co-headlined the first annual Peach Music Festival this past weekend. The performance took place at Scranton, PA’s Montage Mountain at the tail end of The Allman Brothers Band’s short summer tour.

Zac Brown Band headlined the festival on Friday night and nodded to the many classic rock bands in attendance with a diverse mix of covers. Those covers included Van Morrison’s “Into the Mystic,” The Band’s “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,” a version of John Mayer’s “Neon” that included a bit of “Isn’t She Lovely” and Charlie Daniels Band’s “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.” Though they shared the stage together earlier this summer, Gregg Allman did not sit in with Zac Brown Band during their set.

However, The Allman Brothers Band invited a number of guests onstage during their headlining sets. On Friday night, Warren Haynes Band saxophonist Ron Holloway sat in on “That’s What Love Will Make You Do.” Likewise, on Saturday night drummer Kenwood Dennard, Gregg Allman keyboardist Bruce Katz and The Juke Horns sat in on “The Same Thing.” A little later in the set, The Juke Horns returned for “Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’.” The show also included an acoustic version of Jackson Browne’s “These Days,” performed by Allman and Warren Haynes. Allman, who has performed the song during his solo shows since the ’70s, brought it into the current ABB’s rotation during this year’s Beacon run in March. In addition, the band offered another rendition of Dickey Betts’ “Blue Sky,” which the band abandoned for many years but revived in late 2011 as part of their Eat a Peach celebration. The show came to a close with “Mountain Jam” and the lone encore of “Whipping Post.”

Haynes also invited out some special guests during his Sunday morning Wake with With Warren solo set. First, Dennard added some percussion to The Beatles’ “In My Life.” Then, fellow festival performers The Blind Boys of Alabama sang on “Down By The Riverside” and “Soulshine.”

Here’s a look at this weekend’s Allman Brothers Band setlist via the group’s homepage

Friday, August 10, Montage Mountain, Scranton, PA

Statesboro Blues
You Don’t Love Me
No One To Run With
That’s What Love Will Make You Do (with Ron Holloway on sax)
Midnight Rider

Saturday, August 11, Montage Mountain, Scranton, PA

Don’t Want You No More
It’s Not My Cross To Bear
Trouble No More
Come and Go Blues
Egypt
The Same Thing (with The Juke Horns; Bruce Katz on piano and Kenwood Denard on drums)
Revival
Statesboro Blues
These Days
Mountain Jam >
Blue Sky
Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ (with The Juke Horns)
Into The Mystic
Dreams
Mountain Jam (Reprise)

E: Whipping Post

Comments

Donna August 14, 2012, 12:43:33

I had such a great time. Music was phenominal and weather turned out perfect. Only thing that I was a little bothered about what having to make choices of who to see. I missed 3 bands, due to the distance between stages. Had every intention to see everyone but it didnt haooen. Was turned on to two new bands, Blackberry Smoke and Trigger Hippie – fantastic!!

Doug Reddick August 13, 2012, 18:24:32

It’s GUILDED splinters btw.

Francesco Marano August 13, 2012, 18:27:06

The vibe, weather, and most certainly the bands were GREAT all weekend! A very positive and fun start to a new summer festival.
If anybody’s curious here’s a link to my pictures:

Karl P August 13, 2012, 18:30:06

Zac Brown played Friday night. In My Life is Gov’t Mule’s version.

Sherman Smith August 13, 2012, 19:43:01

What a blast! My brother & me left Friday morning from South Jersey planned to ride our Harley’s but it was really coming down! Once in Scranton we never saw rain again. What a great laid back venue, hope they have it there again next year. Police were friendly,no fights,no drunks good vibes all around thank you for a real good time

Tom Myers August 13, 2012, 21:26:36

Kudos to the Allman Brothers and all the performers who worked to make the inaugural Peach Festival one kick ass event. I travelled 650 miles from Midland, MI with a friend. We’ll be back next year, and we’re bringing a posse. What a fantastic weekend. The staff were extremely courteous, and the cops were really cool. I wish all festivals and concerts were as positive and fun and friendly as the Peach Festival. Peace out!

Richard Cohen August 13, 2012, 21:38:57

Who writes these reviews? It’s not too hard to get the facts straight if you were there and know anything about the music. Great weekend, especially both ABB sets and Warren on Sunday morning.

bill August 13, 2012, 21:45:10

couldnt wait to join the jam but my mom who lives 15 mins away sold her hosue
watched on moogis
what a bucnh of profeissionals
aiko aiko!!!

tennjed August 14, 2012, 07:00:48

Great festival!! Montage put on a fantastic rockin’ weekend. Staff & police were friendly and inviting. Music was tremendous all weekend. Was supposed to rain Friday and part of Saturday – nothing! Thanks Allmans & Friends. Hope the festival returns to Montage Mountain again next year – I will definitely make the trip again!

Josh August 14, 2012, 11:57:15

Wait – they had JD & Straight Shot on the bill? James Dolan (JD, owner of the Knicks, president of Cablevision, etc.) should not be allowed anywhere near a microphone. His music is a disaster of massive proportions, and is merely the indulgence of someone with too much money. BOOOOO!

Bruce August 14, 2012, 13:57:28

Fifth Festival of the year for me (Wannee, NO Jazz Fest, Mountain Jam, GOTV) great year. I agree with above comments that Police were mellow and staff was friendly. Not sure I’m sold on venue but next time I bring a bathsuit so I can enjoy the water park which was include in the addimssion. First night some confussion around parking and shuttle buses but nothing to painful and it was the first year. Great music. Hopefully again next year.. Brother Greg sound much better then Wannee or Beacon this year, may good health stay with him. And I was surprised at how much I liked Zac Brown for the 45 minutes I saw him coukld not stay for full set since I had to go get my DSO fix and they were very good. Also Tedeschi Truck Band smoked. I also enjoyed OAR. Bring on XMAS Jam dates. Peace

Yossarian August 14, 2012, 21:53:46

Glad someone mentioned how lame it is that JD and the Straight Shot were on the bill. Sounds like a good festival though.