Published: 2012/09/14

My Morning Jacket: Three Nights, No Repeats, Special Guests, Crazy Covers

Photo via MMJ’s Facebook page

My Morning Jacket closed their three-show run at Los Angeles, CA’s Wiltern Theatre last night. Not only were the concerts part of the band’s fan-driven Spontaneous Curation Series, but the band also managed to run through three shows without repeating a song.

Each night featured some of the unique covers My Morning Jacket have introduced over the years. On Tuesday night, My Morning Jacket offered their arrangement of Elton John’s “Rocket Man,” busted out their take on The Band’s “It Makes No Difference” and showcased their version of Prince’s “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man.” The next night the group offered an even more eclectic mix of covers, including Erykah Badu’s “Tyrone,” George Harrison’s “Isn’t It a Pity” and The Clash’s “Rock the Casbah.” In addition, MMJ guitarist Carl Broemel led the band through “Carried Away” off his solo album. Members of Iron & Wine, who opened the show, also sat in on “Isn’t It a Pity.” Finally, last night My Morning Jacket closed things out with takes on The Velvet Underground’s “Oh! Sweet Nuthin‘” and Curtis Mayfield’s “Move on Up” as well as this year’s first version of Lionel Richie’s “All Night Long.”

My Morning Jacket’s tour continues at Berkeley, CA’s Greek Theater tomorrow.

Here’s a look at this weekend’s Wiltern setlists via Setlist.fm

Anytime
The Day Is Coming
Touch Me I’m Going To Scream Pt. 2
Gideon

Encore:
Butch Cassidy
Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
It Makes No Difference

Cobra
Run Thru

Encore:
Hopefully
I Will Be There When You Die
Steam Engine
Isn’t It a Pity (with Iron & Wine)
Honest Man

Holdin On To Black Metal
All Night Long
Move On Up
One Big Holiday

Comments

tour rat September 14, 2012, 23:42:45

3 nights, no repeats, covers and special guests. Sounds like a normal 3-show run for a jamband. Why is that news?

eotw September 15, 2012, 09:19:19

Um, because they’re not really a jam band. I’m sorry, but MMJ were never really a jam band. They have a couple songs that last 10, 15 minutes once in a while, but do they jam between songs? hardly ever anymore. Frankly, they play the same songs night to night most of the time. They aren’t the Dead or Phish. Plus, JJ’s voice is really starting to go bad and he’s too young for that to happen. Still, their first 4 ablums are good.

Wow September 15, 2012, 12:55:41

Umm. Ok. I agree they aren’t a jam band, but if you are one of those ‘ the old stuff is better” and the band sucks now, you’re out of your mind. JJ’s voice is going bad? Wow. They are still a top notch band, writing good songs. This tour they have not played the same set over and over. They never said they were the Dead or everyones precious Phish. You stick to the old stuff, I’ll keep evolving with the band, like every great band should. Hater.

eotw September 15, 2012, 14:27:41

Not a hater at all. Can you tell me that that last album is as good as the first 4? really? I’ve seen the band live over 50 times. Hardly a hater. I listened to those two red rocks shows and I felt JJ’s voice was lacking. Maybe he had a sore throat. All I know is that they need ot raise their game, like a lot of bands need to. It’s hard to stay on top of their game. few bands do.

jackethead September 15, 2012, 15:21:53

I think the last album is far better than Evil Urges. Probably not as good as the 1st four, but still very good. It and Z are the only of their albums that wouldn’t be improved by cutting off 20 minutes.
As for JJ’s voice, it tends to get a little strained at times, but I think that it’s not a long term deterioration, just a short-term tiring from so much touring. I saw them this summer in Louisville, which came after a two-week break, and he sounded phenomenal. I’ll certainly keep coming back.

rebelINS00 September 15, 2012, 17:51:07

Wow those are some big sets, really awesome, hope they keep this up.

Yimmie Yames Yams September 16, 2012, 08:30:41

Keep on rockin MMJ!

Wesley September 16, 2012, 21:50:20

Attended all three. MMJ has reinvented themselves again. Haters gonna hate, but these guys are doing something really special right now. No way is Jim’s voice ‘strained’, that’s nonsense.

Zach September 25, 2012, 14:18:17

PHiSH is precious, watch your fucking mouth, son.