Published: 2012/10/04

Dead On Live Announce Tour Dates

Dead On Live have announced their dates for the fall. The band is known for its note-for-note recreations of the Grateful Dead albums Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty, as well as recreations of selections from Skull and Roses, Garcia, Europe 72 and Ace. The group will debut their latest recreations— selections from Wake Of The Flood, Mars Hotel, Compliments and Old And In The Way— at the upcoming shows. Dead On Live, which is directed by multi-instrumentalist Marc Muller, will be making stops across the Northeast, starting with a show at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, NJ on November 2. The band does solid covers of Grateful Dead classics, so you can’t really go wrong with these shows. You can watch a video of the group doing “Looks Like Rain” with Nicole Atkins above. Tour dates are listed below.

Dead On Live Tour Dates

November 2 Red Bank, NJ—Count Basie Theater
November 10 Blairstown, NJ—Historic Blairstown Theater
November 30 Boston, MA—Berklee Performance Center
December 23 Sellersville, PA—Sellersville Theater
December 28 Tarrytown, NY—Tarrytown Music Hall(*)
December 29 Norfolk, CT—Infinity Hall (*)

(*) Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty shows

Comments

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck October 4, 2012, 19:34:38

I just threw up in my mouth a little…THis is strictly for MORONS..“note for note???? Better as stand up comedy..Fuck man…GIVE IT UP!!! ITS ALL BEEN DONE BEFORE!!! I MEAN bACkWards,FronTWards,UpSidedown

Jim O'Brien October 4, 2012, 23:14:09

OMG!! really?? someone thinks this is viable? Note for note it LAST thing anyone wants from Grateful Dead.

Tom October 5, 2012, 12:43:56

They are a great band. I have seen them.
Great vocals and playing …
Great music is timeless. They put a unique spin on the music by actually playing the music as it was recorded …
Aint no time to hate.

Cole October 5, 2012, 13:08:02

I agree with Tom. These guys do an exceptional job at tackling these compositions. A huge departure from most of the cover bands that desecrate these gems.
I would recommend seeing them if they come through your area.

Gregory Schwartz October 5, 2012, 16:43:25

Dead On is to the Grateful Dead what the Fab Faux is to the Beatles.
It takes a complete understanding of fundamentals before a group of musicians can properly improvise. Dead On goes inside the Grateful Dead’s arrangements to where the silence between notes opens infinite jammin’ possibilities. We love and support all Grateful Dead cover bands in our neighborhood, Asbury Park. We work as hard as it takes to have our audience leave happier then the mind set they arrived in. We are grateful for all who attend these shows. Imagining the healing power of music, community and kind faith.

gene October 5, 2012, 17:21:11

I saw the Workingman’s/American Beauty show this winter. To call it jaw-dropping would be an understatement. Don’t knock it till ya try it.

Bob October 6, 2012, 15:37:55

Sorry the two haters needed to post their misguided opinions…obviously they’ve never been to a DOL show. Actually this concept has NEVER been done before. If you were into classical musical, you’d want to hear the closest to the original masters, same concept here except they’re playing Dead. If you love the music you’ll love the show, period end of story.

Bob October 6, 2012, 15:50:08

..btw the guys in DOL aren’t opposed to jamming…just search “Steve Kimock, Eyes of the World” on youtube to see DOL creator Marc Muller jamming or search “Drums — Dark Star Orchestra w/ Joe Chirco” to see DOL drummer jamming. I don’t think any member of DOL has a problem with any of the multitude of Dead cover bands who only play loose jams…& imho no one should have a problem with Marc Muller spending months & months of his life studying, & charting the music in order to present a show as close to the original as humanly possible

mike October 8, 2012, 14:24:20

for anyone who never seen them before. it takes such a long time to figure out exactly what notes on all the different instruments. these guys are very talanted and deserve credit for their work. you will never see any members of the dead play harmonica, pedal steel, banjo and more. give these guys a chance and you wont be disappointed. i have heard them jam also and it kicks ass. not like furthur but we are there for the music we love it doesnt matter how its played!!!!

Rip October 24, 2012, 13:51:50

Yes, but … if there’s anything antithetical to the entire concept the Dead was based on, it’s playing it note for note every time. I mean, sure, you can learn note for note Garcia’s solo on Chinacat Sunflower off Europe 72, but what’s the point? The point is to be expressive with your talents within the framework that the music offers you. Coltrane never played it the same way twice. It’s the difference between going to see, say, Justin Beiber three nights in a row and getting the same exact performance, right down to the sequenced meter of the tunes, or seeing the Dead at their peak nine times in a row and having a completely different experience, even when they repeated songs. Impossibly fast Eyes of the World one night, slow, unique jazzy version a few nights later. The Dead’s studio records were never where it’s at. Phil Lesh called it “rock music with a jazz lexicon,” and what he meant by that was … the structure of the tunes is concrete, but the interpretation and expressiveness is wide open. You can’t re-create a space jam or the insect fear moments from a 73 Dark Star. Not a slam on these people — and I have seen them perform — but, really, it’s not what Grateful Dead music, in any form, is all about. The magic is in the moment, not in re-creating a moment that no longer exists.

Marc October 25, 2012, 11:20:18

There will never be another Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead were the only band that could create, or recreate the music of the Grateful Dead. Charlie Parker learned Lester Young solos, literally note for note, Coltrane studied Hawkins. Metheny copped Wes, Dylan lived and breathed Woody, almost to a point of obsession. All music we hear by anyone has been played before through eons of musical creativity by someone. Recordings define a time and place for not only the artist, but for the people that loved their art. I put on Europe 72 and I’m transferred back to being 13 at Nassau Colliseum, Roosevelt Stadium, etc. The sights, the sounds, the smells! I still get excited when I’m practicing the notes and nuances of any of the parts, not just Jerry’s, on the records of this era as they’re part of my musical DNA. I am though, for better or worse, my own musician with my own individual style. (poke around the youtube channel if youlike) I can only hope I’m lucky enough to have bits of those who’ve influenced me through the years, from Beatles, Dead, Beck, Miles, Jaco and maybe even a little something from the incredible 19 yr old musician I heard last week, heard in my playing. Either way, Dead On Live-wise, as actors recreating Hamlet, musicians performing Beethoven, we’ve chosen to do our best at attemping the impossible and admittedly unatainable feat of recreating the records of the Grateful Dead, to the best of our humble abilities. I do understand the comments against the whole concept though but hope you can maybe understand a little of mine too. Thanks.

Ralph November 25, 2012, 14:21:22

Just saw the Dead On show last night at the Count Basie with my 10 year son. To see 14 world class musician put on 2 hours plus show . It was moving experience for us . I was lucky enough to see the Grateful Dead live . My son last night was able get chance to step back to 1973 to see some great live music !

Dick November 27, 2012, 01:13:01

First of all, the GD could only create their music. Not RECREATE, that would be impossible. Why don’t you just admit it’s selfish to get paid for regurgitating someone else’s work as your own? All those great musicians may have mimicked others, but they didn’t do it ON STAGE. They also made from their influences something that was uniquely THEIR OWN. I don’t doubt the group is talented, but it does not behoove them to capitalize on the IP of the Grateful Dead. If you all “looked the part”, instead of like a bunch of Tea Party douchebags pretending to enjoy the music, maybe the concept would fly. Maybe you guys should stick to the Eagles or Pat Boone or whatever the hell it is you prefer. We’ll all remember this era not as “post-GD”, but the time that capitalists used the music of the GD to sell their own tix. Lame.

Jon November 27, 2012, 13:17:14

Well I’m really looking forward to seeing the Dead On Live show at Berklee (Boston) this Friday and yes, will pay money to see it. The vitriol in this thread is ridiculous; if you don’t like it, don’t listen to it, end of story! Personally, I get joy out of music and I’ve gotten much, much, much joy out of the GD’s music. I plan on enjoying it for years to come and think it’s wonderful to a) hear non-professionals playing it (I’m a junkie for the Grateful Dead Covers Project on YouTube, though some is horrible), b) hear bands like the American Beauty project and DSO add their talents and sensibilities to those wonderful songs the Dead did, and c) listen to Phil and Friends or Furthur expand the envelope (or big tent) even more. I haven’t seen Dead On Live yet but look forward to adding them to this list.

MM November 28, 2012, 11:41:39

Josh November 30, 2012, 23:51:15

I worked at the BPC show tonight and it was fantastic. They are all incredible players and absolutely nail the music, but also add their own flavor on moments of improv. Not only was it great musically, it was a fantastic overall show. They played the tunes with more excitement and energy than a lot of original bands. You could absolutely tell they loved the music and wanted to honor it while sharing it with fellow fans and putting on a great show.
It offers an experience to new fans that never had the chance to see GD and to old fans who want to relive the past a little with a great experience alongside other people that truly love the music. I apologize if parts of this don’t make sense. 12 hour shift on 2 hours of sleep’ll do that. Anyways, as a skeptic 7 hours ago who has happily been proven wrong, I definitely recommend checking them out if you get a chance. Josh M

Josh November 30, 2012, 23:51:36

Josh November 30, 2012, 23:57:47

Josh December 1, 2012, 11:25:43

Josh December 1, 2012, 16:55:21

Josh December 1, 2012, 16:58:30

eve January 4, 2013, 17:03:19

when will dead on live play again in 2013 in the ny tri-state area

MM June 25, 2013, 07:46:32

www.deadonlive.com for upcoming. www.facebook.com/deadonlive for FB. Thanks!