Published: 2012/10/14

Phil Lesh Sits in with Dark Star Orchestra

Photo by Matt Reynolds via DSO’s Facebook page

Phil Lesh sat in with Grateful Dead tribute act Dark Star Orchestra last night. The performance took place at San Francisco’s Fillmore. Lesh joined Dark Star for their entire first set, including “Jack Straw,” “Here Comes Sunshine,” “Feel Like A Stranger,” “Dark Star,” “Playin’ In The Band,” “Two Souls In Communion,” “Eyes Of The World,” “Morning Dew” and “Playin’ In the Band (reprise).” Though this is the first time Lesh has performed with Dark Star Orchestra, both DSO keyboardist Rob Barraco and DSO guitarist Jeff Mattson have been part of past Phil & Friends lineups while current Furthur/Phil & Friends guitarist John Kadlecik co-founded DSO. Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann, Donna Jean Godchaux, Vince Welnick and Tom Constanten have all sat in with Dark Star Orchestra over the years as well.

Dark Star Orchestra will perform at Napa, CA’s Uptown Theatre tis evening.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Dark Star Orchestra’s homepage

Drumz/Space>
China Doll>
Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad

E: One More Saturday Night

Comments

Wooker T. October 14, 2012, 22:45:52

As great as it is to see Phil, a man who has made so many of us so very happy over the years having a good time with some moneymaker cover band I gotta say Id rather see Lesh continue the GD’s legacy as a creative force, not trying to relive somthing you really just had to be there to experience. If you listen to GD from the ’70’s, King Solomons Marbles or Help on the Way>Slipknot! perhaps you really do hear them striving beyond thier abilities breaking ahead of most bands of the time. What the fuck happened? People I know from decades of GD shows all over the country seem to ask me where iv been lately. I dont know what to tell them. This shit is just uninspired.

js October 15, 2012, 00:04:52

Then from the headline, you knew what the article would be about…don’t read it, find something that inspires you…or did you just want your voice to be heard (and the chance to drop how many shows you’ve been to) Sad.

Yep^ October 15, 2012, 00:29:11

Exactly, everyone knows exactly why it’s “uninspired” be glad we get what we get not matter what it sounds like. Would you rather have absolutely nothing?

Kevin October 15, 2012, 00:53:28

The inspired music is coming from Billy & Mr. Hart’s Bands these days. They are performing new material and new music. Two great bands! Phil has earned the right to play with who ever he wants…..even if it rubs me the wrong way. I also earned the right not to go see it. One Love

drasticjasper October 15, 2012, 00:56:34

I went to this show and it rocked so whatever lol I enjoyed furthur at shoreline a few weeks ago also…if you want a band to “push artistic limits” be a hipster and listen to crappy indie hipster music…if you want to have a night out and dance a few beers with friends these shows are a fine time

Shut up wooker October 15, 2012, 03:06:05

nobody gives a shit about your skepticism. Phil will play as long as he wants to. such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be here, so let us enjoy his playing while we can.

Shut up wooker October 15, 2012, 03:06:05

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck October 15, 2012, 07:35:58

The ACiD is way to WEAK..IF the Sandoz was still around, these kids would be to high give opinions

Donna October 15, 2012, 09:15:13

If you want to be inspired go listen to Phil and Friends or some of Bobby’s broadcasts from TRI studios or Billy or Mickey’s bands. There is a lot of good, new music coming from these guys still. Just ignore the recreations for the masses.

Yossarian October 15, 2012, 09:19:22

Gotta love internet Deadheads. Put this stuff into perspective: you go to see a (really damn good) tribute act for a band that stopped touring 17 years ago. A prominent member of the original band shows up and plays a lengthy, awesome set with them. Sounds like a good time to me. It sucks that what’s supposed to be such a welcoming scene is all about one-upping everyone with the shows you saw. Quit making it an ego thing and let’s enjoy the damn music.

Brian OC October 15, 2012, 11:01:12

C’mon guys, you have to admit that Wooker makes a good point. The whole Dark Star Orchestra thing (and tribute acts in general) is kinda creepy isn’t it? There is room to wish that Phil would have done something new and creative in the last 20 years.

Deadman October 15, 2012, 11:25:09

Give it a break! Grateful Dead music will outlive us all. It will be played by many different musicians in many different ways for years to come. Improvised music is supposed to keep changing and be performed by other musicians. I LOVED the Grateful Dead, but I also enjoy Furthur, Phil and Friends, Ratdog, etc. If you are one of the so called “deadheads” who won’t give credibility to anything but the original Grateful Dead, don’t go. Just go out to the pasture and become a dinosaur! I know people who only saw the GD a handful of times who have a better grasp on what being a deadhead is than people who saw them 100-200 times. As the saying goes “May the Baby Jesus Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Mind.”

FurthurRocks October 15, 2012, 11:07:27

Yes, everyone on the Internet makes a point. And with all due respect, Phil doesn’t give a s&i* what you think. To say that the Grateful Dead were pushing boundaries at every show, during every year, is a bit of an overstatement. To say Furthur isn’t pushing boundaries at all, is an understatement. The Grateful Dead is always more than the sound, it’s the spirit. And within that spirit, there is little room for cynical internet trolls. It’s sad, that in the last 17 years of pushing that spirit further (in the time continuum, if nothing else), the band members catch nothing but crap from a significant portion of folks who want it to be the way it was. There’s nothing more nostalgic than that.

chris October 15, 2012, 15:21:27

I was going to go to that show but opted for WhiteWater Ramble instead. I was bummed at first that I missed Phil with DSO but WhiteWater Ramble made me forget quickly. Live music is the best and if Phil had fun with DSO and the crowd had a blast then fuck everyone else. Music is subjective and Phil does not owe any of us a damn thing. Phil dropping bombs on a street corner would be fine with me if he has a smile on his face. Go support live music and fight about the important shit.

Herdygerdy October 15, 2012, 15:26:57

I love The Grateful Dead. I love DSO. I don’t care if it’s 6 monkeys that are playing the music, as long as it’s played the way I want to hear it, who gives a sh*t??? For all of you so called Deadheads out there that just want to bash DSO, it’s your problem that you’re missing out on some great music!! The Grateful Dead to me was always about the way the music made me feel emotionally, and would make me dance and shake my bones… DSO does that for me now, so to hell with all you nay sayers! :)

norma stitz October 15, 2012, 15:36:08

Bob is too busy “tuning the room”. Like nobody could do that offstage

Brian October 15, 2012, 15:53:35

Dark Star playing the music of the dead is no different than the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing beethoven

Uncle John October 15, 2012, 16:11:51

Ain’t no time to hate, barely time to wait…

So Far From Me October 15, 2012, 16:21:29

I totally get why people either love or hate Phil plaing with DSO. But for me, Phil is just doing his thing. He has fun playing music. He is way past the point of having anything to prove. DSO isn’t going anywhere and i honestly haven’t heard too many deadheads who dislike them. I’ve always had fun at thier shows, but i could honestly take them or leave them. If you don’t like it, then don’t go. But the people on this site need to ease up on Phil and just enjoy the ride.

norma stitz October 15, 2012, 19:20:40

Hey “so far from me”? Why did you name yourself after dire straits song?

norma stitz October 15, 2012, 19:21:28

Hey “so far from me”? Why did you name yourself after dire straits song?

Charlie October 16, 2012, 11:37:48

What is the problem? Seriously. Everyone had fun. Beyond that…whoi gives a shit.

jambandguy October 17, 2012, 16:50:09

Jeez…what a shame. It is music, very personal and I THOUGHT non-judgemental. Listen to it, if youlike good if not was it a totally sucky time? Probably not…I went to many GD shows that were less than perfect but still enjoyed the experience…and if Wootwhatever thinks DSO and Phil for playing with them are making a lot of money…well no. I See any offshoot that comes near. Love Furhtur. Love when other bands play Dead…why am I wasting so much time on this?

joeking1 October 19, 2012, 18:15:48

I was also at this show and it rocked! I was also at the further shows in portland a couple of weeks ago and not only did they rock, but the afterparties were off the hook. I think instead of criticizing everything these guys are doing, be thankful they are doing anything at all. I know I am!

joeking1 October 19, 2012, 18:15:50

Gratefuldan October 24, 2012, 00:43:21

Look folks, its all just music isn’t it? If you get confused listen to the music play or mind your own business; what are you bringing to the party? please check yer egos and subjective music minds at the door….and play dead or some music as long as its good….

Matt Reynolds November 8, 2012, 20:28:31

Healing Bear April 11, 2013, 14:47:40

I don’t know about all the nay sayers but….I started seeing the dead in 94 when it was winding down. I toured from Fall 94 until Jerry (RIP) passed from this earth. Then I did Further Fest, The other ones, Phil and Friends(and Family : ) The shows I saw and scene I experienced made me a whole person. They changed my life. They gave me new direction and let me climb out of the deeeeeep depression that I garnered through miss treatment in public high school. Now that I have access to them to re-listen, I know that they were not the greatest shows The Boys ever played. That being said.
I love tribute bands of all colors and esp DSO. These guys (and gal) are so full of love and respect for us and the music they play. They help me to relive the best times of my life. They have always treated me sooooo well, including gifting me their hotel rooms and free entry into any show I choose to ask for. Lots of love there. If you have a problem with them please don’t go but please don’t shit on my parade because you have become a bitter hipster. I have had some of the most amazing times and met some of the most amazing people that I have ever had or met at DSO shows. I guess in your worlds you would just prefer to let the whole scene die off so you can remember “the good ole days” in peace. The reason they work their asses off to do this is not just money( money is good no doubt) but because they want to share the experiences they had at Grateful Dead shows with a new generation that has never had a chance to experience it. That is honorable and super kind in my book. The Boys have given their blessing to this cause and I sure Jerry would have too. IT is about good time and Family and love of the music. Hell there are people that travel allover the country at great expense to recreate wars…...this is much better. Might as well might as well… Let go of the past and embrace the now. Stop being bitter and just have a good time. Love the music you came from, don’t hate on it.
I have so much love for all of you out there. Keep your Family values and never give up hope for a better day and heartfelt joy.
Sincerely,