Published: 2012/11/01

Gov’t Mule Play Hendrix on Halloween

Gov’t Mule celebrated Halloween at Chicago, IL’s Riviera Theatre. As previously reported, the group paid tribute to Jimi Hendrix during the show, focusing on material they have never performed live. Gov’t Mule covers a particular musician or band’s catalog every Halloween but they chose Hendrix this year in order to coincide with what would have been the guitarist’s 70th birthday. The group’s past Halloween shows have paid tribute to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones and The Who.

After playing a set of their own material, Gov’t Mule took the stage during their second set while a vintage Hendrix interview was played for the crowd. Then, they launched into “EXP,” the opening track from Axis: Bold as Love and proceeded to offer a mix of tracks from all three of the Jimi Hendrix Experience’s studio albums, among other Hendrix classics. As promised, the group debuted a slew of material throughout the night, including “EXP,” “Freedom One Rainy Wish,” “Up From The Skies,” “Crosstown Traffic,” “Bleeding Heart (Peoples, Peoples, Peoples),” “Angel,” “...And The Gods Made Love,” “Castles Made Of Sand, Stone Free,” “Rainy Day, Dream Day/Still Raining, Still Dreaming,” “1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)” and “Bold as Love.” They also offered an instrumental reading of “Machine Gun.”

Area saxophonist Chris Neal, who has performed with Umprey’s McGee also sat in on “Rainy Day, Dream Day/Still Raining, Still Dreaming.” He returned during Gov’t Mule’s encore for “Sco-Mule” and a show-closing “Little Wing” during Mule’s encore. At the start of their encore segment, Mule also riffed on “Happy Birthday” to celebrate Hendrix’s 70th birthday.

Gov’t Mule will perform at Indianapolis, IN’s Murat Theatre this evening. The Lee Boys will open the show.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Mule.net

Wednesday, October 31, Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL

Set I: Blind Man In The Dark > World Boss > Larger Than Life > Gameface (with Mountain Jam Tease) > Fallen Down > The Other One Jam (with Gimme Shelter Lyrics), Kind Of Bird (with Get Up, Stand Up & The Wind Cries Mary Teases), Captured, Thorazine Shuffle

Set II: EXP* > Are You Experienced?, Freedom One Rainy Wish*, Up From The Skies*, Crosstown Traffic*, Bleeding Heart (Peoples, Peoples, Peoples)*, Angel*, ...And The Gods Made Love*, Castles Made Of Sand, Stone Free*( with 3rd Stone From The Sun Tease), Rainy Day, Dream Day/Still Raining, Still Dreaming*^, 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)* > Machine Gun (Instrumental) > 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be), Bold As Love*

E: Happy Birthday Jam, Sco-Mule (with Smoke On The Water Tease & Dance To The Music Lyrics)^, Little Wing^

*first time played
^with Chris Neal

Comments

Clive Bigsby November 1, 2012, 12:51:59

So wish I could of been there to Expierence that. Sounds like a hell of a show! The Mule never disapoints! And I have not seen Warren use a Fender.

me November 1, 2012, 13:00:24

Holy Cow! I thought I had fun at their Ithaca show last Saturday (why wasn’t that show reviewed… it was great Hunger Pains>Dr. Mr Fantasy… just one of the the many highlights of that night)!!! Would have loved to hear just …and the Gods Made Love and EXP... the rest would have been icing on the cake!

Brian November 1, 2012, 13:15:09

It was an incredible show. The band took the stage at 8:05 and concluded the first set at 9:45. They came back on stage at 10:05 and played until about 12:00. I had to leave at 11:30 to catch a train, so I missed the encore, but the official Gov’t Mule twitter feed reported that the last song was “The Wind Cries Mary,” not “Little Wing.” The bummer for me personally was that I had great HD video of the 20-minute 1983>Machine Gun>1983 performance, but when saving the video to my iPhone later found that I must have shut the phone off too quickly after ending the recording. Great crowd aside from a handful of meatheads, but you get them everywhere. A very memorable show I can’t wait to re-live on muletracks.com. Destined to be one of their most popular downloads.

Bryan November 1, 2012, 18:05:33

Awesome show, so glad I was there. The last song was definitely Little Wing. Also, I’m not so sure I would say they “played” EXP ... more like the CD was played while they got themselves together, the first actual song of the set was Are You Experienced.

Bozo The Clown November 1, 2012, 20:18:53

The Mule has finnaly treated Chicago to one of thier Halloween shows and this was Epic in all ways.I went with a couple of buudys and we all grew up listening to Hendrix a real lot and had a feeling this would be pretty cool but was’nt sure what to expect due to the fact that nobody takes on this stuff live. First of all I was wondering how in the hell Warren would play Jimi with a Gibson and was hoping to see him strap on a strat never seen him play one, and let me tell ya folks this guy can make a strat scream as good as anybody on this planet! The whole band stayed very true to the album versions of the songs did not play the big Hendrix hits an dropped the keybords for the most part and all 3 were incredably tight. They added a stand in rythm/fill guitarist still trying to figure who he was? The versions were played with unbelievable accuracy and energy even the feedback passages were very close to the studio albums. I have seen the biggest and best bands in rock and some really graet shows over the years and this concert is definitely one for the ages and a true stand out.

CT67 November 1, 2012, 22:20:27

Bozo, the other guitarist was Danny Louis, the Mule’s keyboard player.

Curtis November 2, 2012, 01:29:50

Stream is up. http://www.panicstream.net/vault/govt-mule-10312012-chicago-il/

Jimi November 2, 2012, 15:27:36

Just finished listening to the stream. Unbelievably great. My flight got cancelled by Sandy and unfortunately I couldn’t be there to witness this. Warren Haynes is simply amazing. Mule is a criminally underrated band.

Jeff November 3, 2012, 21:34:07

It was an awesome show indeed, but from my vantage point it became apparent that the keyboards were malfunctioning for the majority of the Hendrix set. Though the band made it through I believe the keyboards were intended to be featured a lot more. Sort of bitter-sweet as I think a great show could have been even better.

chimneyjim November 9, 2012, 11:22:21

James Marshall (Jimi) Hendrix was born on November 27, 1942.

Tdawg from Michigan November 9, 2012, 15:15:18

Show was f**king unbelievable! Warren and crew made it “A Night of music that legends are created from”. Great Experience!