Published: 2013/01/31

The RatDog Quartet: Weir, Wilson, Lane and Sylvester

The RatDog Quartet will perform at Mill Valley, CA’s Sweetwater Music Hall on March 3 and 4. The band will feature Bob Weir, RatDog/Primus drummer Jay Lane, RatDog bassist Robin Sylvester and noted indie rock/Americana guitarist Jonathan Wilson. The evening will open with a Wilson solo set, continue with a Weir solo set and close with an electric The RatDog Quartet performance.

Weir and Wilson will tour the West Coast this winter. They have been steady collaborators since first sharing the stage at a TRI Jerry Garcia tribute in August.

Comments

Eric January 31, 2013, 15:49:59

No Mark No Jeff No Ratdog sorry

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!! January 31, 2013, 15:56:48

Wow… every one of these fakeful dead projects gets lamer and lamer….

Lion January 31, 2013, 16:08:36

Well then just wait and it will all be dust soon. You can appease your sense of musical injustice by just biding time, as everything passes. Perhaps what is “lamer” is that you read about it and then spew a bit of negativity; find something that turns you on and dust the air with some moments cause those too will be gone. You are what you make it.

Mike January 31, 2013, 16:10:38

Ratdog is whatever Bob wants it to be- deal.
Bob has a part of the music and he can recreate it with whomever or in whatever way he would like- again, deal.
J Wilson is a great new talent and I am happy to see him and others get more exposure- if you are upset by this, wait for your next Dave’s pick and keep any opinionated negativity to yourself.

Eric January 31, 2013, 16:19:03

My intention was not to be negative.. But to point out the importance of Mark and Jeff to what I remember Ratdog to be.. Jonathan Wilson is good but Mark Karan Rips and for me if Ratdog was to hit the road again (I would Like this) it just would not be the same kick ass band without Mark and Jeff

Eric January 31, 2013, 16:32:45

“Ratdog is whatever Bob wants it to be”
I know it started out that way and I loved the shows with Matt Kelly etc. but for me the band evolved into a touring machine at some point and I guess in my mind the Ratdog reunion is what I have been looking foward too

Mike January 31, 2013, 16:55:37

@Eric – thanks for clarifying why you are not into this incarnation of Ratdog. Sorry if I was being harsh (another post bummed me out)- I like the info on why you are not into it because helps me learn the past of Ratdog. I really never gave it a chance, but would like to check it out.

soul stu January 31, 2013, 17:19:47

I agree to some extent with all these posts. Regardless, I’m happy to see that Phil & bobby are staying busy and branching out with these new music clubs in Marin & TRI studios. I find it cool that they still are willing to play these small local club gigs, no matter what the lineup. I’m sure it’ll be a fun night @ sweetwater for those who wish to be there.

schwadog January 31, 2013, 17:37:00

I hope this will be streamed like the furthur shows. and yes bobby can play with anyone and its good and hopefully this will just get the rest of ratdog to come back and do a full tour. and how about a real furthur tour with all the solo bands and then a dead, head line sets!! whoo hoo that would be fun!! and add different lead guitar each night! For the love of the music!!! :}

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck January 31, 2013, 21:05:38

Fuckin old farts way to spaCED ON YEARS OF DOPE! IT ENDED WEN jERRy died

Baron von Munchausen January 31, 2013, 21:41:33

I always thought Wasserman and Dave Ellis were what made Ratdog sound different than the dead and gave them that jazz element which made it seem a little less like a typical strightforward dead cover band or spinoff. this is a classic for those of you who might not be familiar:

tour rat February 1, 2013, 02:52:39

yeah, but Mark Karan kind of sucked. Kimock blew him out of the water back in the Other ones days. and wasserman and ellis were real good. There was also some guy who sat in with them on the oboe during the 4 day slim’s run back in 2002 (i think) who blew them all out the water. how about that dude.

Brendan February 3, 2013, 23:26:31

MK is awesome! And I would love to see Ratdog tour again. Some of the best shows I’ve ever seen were Ratdog. Making the balcony sway at the Orpheum…