Published: 2013/02/10

Dan Kanter Teases Phish on SNL

Dan Kanter teased “Sand” by Phish during Justin Bieber’s performance on Saturday Night Live last night. The riff made a brief appearance during an acoustic rendition of Bieber’s song “As Long As You Love Me.” Kanter, who was an avid Phish fan long before he started playing guitar for the teen pop superstar, can be heard making the tease at around the 2:52 mark on the video above. You can read our interview with Kanter from August of last year here.

In related news, Phish references managed to find their way into another NBC program last week. Parks and Recreation writer Harris Wittels—also a fan of the band—wore two different Phish t-shirts while making a cameo on the show. Our recent interview with Wittels can be found here.

Comments

eric February 10, 2013, 14:55:29

I just lost my lunch..

Mg February 10, 2013, 17:40:29

Enough is enough already.

aron magner of aron magner presents aron magner's the disco biscuits February 10, 2013, 18:08:26

i’m surprised this wasn’t on CNN.

Loubert February 10, 2013, 18:58:35

this could be the first Bieber song ive ever heard… And its terrible

shinymetalass February 10, 2013, 19:21:52

THis should be the post where someone defends the injustice of what people do to phish when articles like this come out… like say who cares, or enough well your wrong IT IS ENOUGH, as I’ve said in the past writers at jambands.com are super bromanced by phish and they feel the need to write an article everytime someone farts or scribbles in crayon the names Trey or JK.. Get them flowers boys maybe they will respond

Grammy Shammy February 10, 2013, 21:47:57

I would figure a platform as nice as jambands.com would at least post this video from YouTube or Vimeo. I mean the fact that its a video of a video with all the background noise Is extremely irritating and a little surprising! Just my pity thoughts and largely due to the fact that I am very picky about sound quality.

Bobby Weir's Short February 10, 2013, 22:31:19

Thats hardly a tease….

Linds February 10, 2013, 23:41:19

shinymetalass you’re exactly right. Who gives a shit when any band in any setting in any venue in any country around the world with any climate and any forecast of snow or any call for war or any hurricane warning or any… The world doesn’t revolve around phish!! Maybe for some of u. But even for phans, the constant updates of when this chord is played here and heard by them is not only pointless and unnecessary but it bores me and makes me feel less special as a phan. It’s not news!!! It happens all the time!! Every band in the world plays covers!! And teases covers. Whatever! Phish is mainstream now. Lets all grow up and deal with it!! Share the love and be happy for the times you’ve had and hopefully continue to have. Peace.

Michael Archuleta February 10, 2013, 23:56:56

Who cares? Enough already about how Justin Biebers guitarists likes phish and teases their music at Bieber concerts? This is embarrassing!

Kenny Elsbree February 11, 2013, 00:17:39

Enough. Any real self-respecting Phish fan would never be in that position. This guy is a super tool who needs to stopped being glorified.

PhishYa February 11, 2013, 00:43:00

Is his 15 minutes up yet. Trey could have ben up there playing & it still would have sucked.

BB February 11, 2013, 01:52:09

I’m Embarrassed! Not because a fellow Phish Phan Dan Kanter teases Phish songs during Beiber concerts! I think that’s cool! I’m embarrassed at my phellow phans that continually become more selfish and hypocritical as each year goes on! I know as an avid Phan we all are so proud of the music our most beloved band plays! Each one of us on more than numerous occasions has pushed Phish music onto a non fan or someone who has said something neg about Phish! We go just listen to this, check it out, it’s really great! So Dan Kanter, so proud of Phish does this to show his love of Phish, and phans get all mean about it! Sad! Why has Iphans become the Me Generation! I freakin love going to see the music so freakin much but I’m less and less thrilled about the way a lot of phans are!
Please let this guy enjoy himself spreading the music of his beloved Phish and chill out y’all!

Ron February 11, 2013, 06:27:09

Chill out people.
Awesome post.
I hope bieber does something cool with the band in 2013.

Teeny Bopper Chic February 11, 2013, 06:37:41

I got the Bieber Phever!

shinymetalass February 11, 2013, 08:28:04

Thanks Linds!! Enjoi What ever you enjoy!

butt-head February 11, 2013, 08:42:20

Huh huh he said bieber feaver

dubs February 11, 2013, 08:45:37

I teased Velvet Sea in my basement. No kidding, I’m just beginning to learn guitar (acoustic) and I started playing what I thought sounded something like Velvet Sea. Turns out I was only off by one chord, the E minor, but that was already in my arsenal. Now, I’m obsessed with the chord progression, an excellent exercise for a hungry student. Guitar is so effin cool. To think I would go get a beer when I’ve seen Phish play that tune, live. C’est la vie !

dk70 February 11, 2013, 08:46:09

Beiber > Phish

beavis February 11, 2013, 08:46:16

Yea yea beaver phever ahhhmm hea hea

Phishing Show February 11, 2013, 08:51:54

I’m surprised they have not posted an article on the dude who is always wearing a Phish t-shirt on the Wicked Tuna TV show.

timmy February 11, 2013, 08:59:15

My cousin’s friend caught a fish last week, and his co-workers last name is Gordon.

dankerator February 11, 2013, 09:37:08

really who fuckn cares!! is justin beiber even relevant, i predict he will o.d. in the next 5 to 10 years anyhow!! babybabybaby!!

Sean February 11, 2013, 09:48:54

Waaaaaah! Im taking my band and goin home.

Step in the Bieber February 11, 2013, 11:09:08

Breaking news: Dan Kanter was overheard whistling Tweezer while he took a dump backstage at a Bieber show. YouTube clip coming soon. Give it a rest…

me February 11, 2013, 11:14:37

Wow… bunch of whiny little posters have a lot o bitchin’ goin’ on over a tiny littly 2 paragraph blurb about Beiber, Kanter and Phish… You complainers are all a bunch of pompous asses… If you’re really so worked up about the wars and weather what the fuck are you even on this site for… get over yourselves, this really has not altered the course of man so do yourselves a favor next time and read the headline… if you think it’s dumb, here’s a novel idea… skip the article! You know what’s worse than reading about Beiber’s guitarist teasing a Phish tune? Cynical douchebags who make a mountain out of a molehill…

Trish February 11, 2013, 11:24:46

Guys, give your hatred and snobbery a rest. I’m no Belieber in the least, but I can give this kid props for making a career based on actual talent and hard work. He’s not lip synching or using a digitizer, he writes his own stuff, and he was not manufactured by some suit in an office. He’s got a great voice. As for the guitarist, I hear he’s a good guy and has been expanding JB’s musical appreciation of Phish. How can that not be a good thing? His guitar work in the above clip is excellent, whether or not the half-second riff is a Sand tease or not.

Cleeet February 11, 2013, 11:59:16

He’s not lip synching or using a digitizer No, but he was strenuously Auto-tuned every time he sang a note on SNL, even during sketches. It was very obvious.

timmy February 11, 2013, 12:24:58

It’s not about Bieber or Kanter. It’s about posting completely irrelevant “stories” about Phish every time they are eluded to somewhere in the mass media. There’s another article about Phish T-Shirts on a Parks and Recreation episode. We get it. Phish is an iconic band who has broken through to the mainstream after 30 years. That’s not cynical or douchey to point that out. Give it up JB.

Happy Hour Hero February 11, 2013, 12:26:40

Why are Phish fans such dipshits!

Just a dude February 11, 2013, 12:51:08

This website is called jambands.com. I would say Phish is the probably the biggest jam band who tours right now (yes bigger than Further and WSP) so I for one expect and happen to like any and all articles that deal with Phish (or any jambands on the scene now) being teased or name checked or mentioned on any shows or other musicians teasing or playing their songs… that’s one of the reasons I go to and read articles on a website called jambands.com. though I read the headlines first and if its about a band I don’t care for or heard of I will gladly skip that article and go to the next one but I still appreciate that someone out there may appreciate that said article… but if you are so annoyed by an article like this then why go to a website called jambands.com. that seems like your issue and problem and not the websites. Again anyone going to a website called jambands.com should expect articles like this otherwise don’t go to a website called jambands.com…. Idiots.

me February 11, 2013, 13:34:05

Timmy… great, you hate the articles and the micro-hype that surrounds things like a Phish shirt on TV… on the other hand, I like them… not because I’m like “OMFG, it’s Phish… >drool

p dog February 11, 2013, 13:35:12

Phish is not mainstream, nor will they ever be. too many people just dont like em, sorry. ive been a fan since ’90 but my wife cant stand them. even took her to a show years back, at intermission she was like, you mean its not over? theres another set? waaa!. so when someone mainstream(Beiber) teases phish, its just kinda weird.What kinda top 40 band teases phish?

teaser February 11, 2013, 14:25:35

I just teased the beginning of DWD by shitting in my pants…does that count?

timmy February 11, 2013, 15:08:21

None of this is really that important, so all i’m gonna say is that if you’re really jonesin’ for Phish T-shirts and song teases on network tv, I’m very happy that JB is fulfilling your craving. I’m really craving some Indian food right now, so I’m out.

Cleeet February 11, 2013, 15:56:05

Here’s a thought: Don’t READ Phish articles if they bug you. Rather than getting worked up about the content of this free site you don’t have to read anyway.

me February 11, 2013, 17:21:02

Hey Timmy, if you hear someone humming a Phish tune while you’re getting that Indian food… please post! Is everything with you either “this sucks” or “this fuckin’ rocks”? Can’t you read some little blurb and go “ha, funny Beib’s guitarist teased Sand” funny, ha, ha…” and leave it at that? If not, then please detail how good (or bad) the tune you hear hummed is… and I’d really like to know if the person was Indian… cause I’ve been told Indians really don’t like Phish, so it be extra rad if it was an indian… but if it’s just a crusty, then it’s really no big deal… most crusties are all over that Phish music…

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck February 11, 2013, 19:27:44

i just farted

chico February 12, 2013, 03:04:07

Flierber bneeep Sneepedeedeeep.

sneakin sally February 12, 2013, 07:03:26

i hope all you haters are never at the same shows as me. oh wait, you are. and you bring us ALL down

Round R. Oom February 12, 2013, 11:23:45

I think this is actually pretty cool. I was wondering if there would be any reference to the Phish / Beiber thing on Saturday Night Live, and there was! Nice work.

yawn February 13, 2013, 19:55:47

To get so worked up over some silly shit like this…you people are a trip.

Django February 15, 2013, 17:09:10

“...but my wife cant stand them. even took her to a show years back, at intermission she was like, you mean its not over? theres another set? waaa!. “ LOL...bro, my wife too. She is so happy every time I go see Phish and she isn’t going!

Jimmy Hawke February 21, 2013, 15:45:03

I could give a rats ass about Justin Bieber’s guitar player throwing Phish riffs. I guess he has to make up for his lameness for being Justin Bieber’s guitar player.

stASH March 7, 2013, 19:55:00

This is my video. It is terrible quality. I published it to show a few friends. So funny my bf is knocking around dishes in the kitchen… but for what its worth dan kanter is awesome and a true phan. We raged a show together and he is a great guy. Take your hate somewhere else.

trafficLIGHTslave March 7, 2013, 20:32:49

Stop hating on Kanter as a person, I’ve met him and chilled at a show with him and he’s a super awesome, down to earth guy. He’s paying homage to his favorite band just like Phish does when they cover or tease a song by another artist. Just because it’s justin bieber that means Kanter is a tool because he pays respect to his influences? You people are ridiculous