Published: 2013/02/25

Adrian Belew to Join Nine Inch Nails

Noted prog-rock guitarist Adrian Belew will join Trent Reznor’s revived Nine Inch Nails lineup. Despite repeated claims that he planned to retire the Nine Inch Nails name in 2009, Reznor decided to make music again as Nine Inch Nails after he started working with Belew.

In a statement Reznor said:

I was working with Adrian Belew on some musical ideas, which led to some discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which (many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be, and the idea of playing a show. Calls were made to some friends, lots of new ideas were discussed, and a show was booked – which led to another, which somehow led to a lot of shows.

The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow through 2014.

Lots of details and dates to come. See you soon.

TR

Belew is best known for his role in the seminal progressive band King Crimson. He has also toured with Talking Heads, Frank Zappa and David Bowie.

Comments

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck February 25, 2013, 16:08:51

I would think..if asked..Frank Zappa is #1 on his list

lucalberts February 25, 2013, 19:07:33

It is well known that Belew has done studio work for Trent since NIN got its start. Glad to see Belew get his dues and play with someone a little less senile than Fripp.

Lou Bourbon Jr February 26, 2013, 00:00:00

Frank sucked as a guitarist (and I mean SUCKED!!!) and was smart enough to surround himself with great musicians…like…Adrian Belew (ampng many others) who could actually put musicality into his some times brilliant (often time insipidly stupid) “compositions”.

BOC February 26, 2013, 00:23:37

Frank sucked as a guitarist?? Wow, wow, wow, wow, and WTF? You know who else sucks on guitar? Hendrix, Trey, Alan Holdzworth, Sco, Michael Hedges, and Steve Vai. Give me a break dude. Lou, you should drop out of music school.

Kirb February 26, 2013, 09:39:23

Lou Bourbon… Zappa SUCKED on the guitar? Wow, what a confusing statement given that your opinion is a very lonely one.

BOC February 26, 2013, 14:24:33

I’d very much like to see a link to Lou’s Soundcloud page so that I can hear his “compositions” and his awesome guitar playing.

Ptp February 27, 2013, 14:23:31

Zappa sucked as a guitarist WOW that has to be the biggest blasmphy ive heard . The dude was leaps and bound ahead of most of his peers and most players today . Smoke another rock dude .

N03L February 27, 2013, 14:51:17

I read Lou Bourbon Jr’s comment over an hour ago and I’ve only just got up and stopped jibbering in disbelief.
Zappa was, still is and always will be one of the best guitarists in the entire history of guitarists. So there! I’m really looking forward to seeing Adrian play with whatever TR does with NIN although I was very surprised and even a bit disappointed in the decision.
They are my favourite band and have been since I first heard The Perfect Drug – I hatred them until then – but I figured their come back would be purely studio material.

Jimbo March 6, 2013, 20:24:19

Congrats Adrian! Zappa is prolly the most underrated of the rock guitar players . Very clean, and precise. Also shared the stage well.

Ty-Ty March 18, 2013, 12:37:21

Congrats Adrian!!! Can’t wait to see you live again. Been a few years since opening your show in Santa Barbara. Nice fuckin’ lineup as well.

chrissyboo April 25, 2013, 06:47:19

zappa sucked??....... riiiiiight

Scranderfook May 16, 2013, 14:09:46

Dear Lou, I understand that you can not appreciate FZ’s mastery of the guitar . Your appreciation of the instrument is limited to what you hear while you listen,naked and in your dark bedroom, to Justin Beiber

Lou Bourbon Jr December 21, 2013, 16:20:59

Yes …Frank is one of the worst “greatest” guitar players I’ve ever heard. Is playing is choppy and dirty and rarely precise. Drugs might have helped him a bit. Watching him “solo” live is embarrassing. The juvenile crap he puts fourth on the instrument over what are at times very interesting changes (although most of his music never makes it out of pre pubescent fart joke material) pales in comparison to what the guitarists he hired could and still do (give Frank credit for knwing his own limitations) . Frank was a visionary of sorts in Rock and Roll and certainly a figure to be celebrated …but he sucked as a “great” guitarist and I mean SUCKED!