Published: 2013/03/05

Bob Weir Walks Off Stage at Sweetwater

Bob Weir stormed off stage during last night’s show at the Sweetwater Music Hall in Mill Valley, CA. Weir was in the middle of a solo acoustic set when he became visibly irritated with people who would not stop talking while he played. At one point, Weir asked the talkers if he was interrupting them (5:20 in the video above) before walking off angrily in the middle of a rendition of Bob Dylan’s “A Hard Rain’s A Gonna Fall.”

Weir returned a little while later with the RatDog Quartet, telling the crowd, “It’s okay, we’re not going to try to do anything particularly delicate now,” before kicking off the set with “Friend of the Devil” and “Deep Elem Blues.” Fiddler Jason Crosby then joined the group for for the rest of the night, which continued with covers of Merle Haggard’s “Sing Me Back Home” and the Beatles’ “Come Together,” as well as RatDog’s first “Fire On The Mountain.” However Weir was evidently still frustrated with those in the crowd who would not stay quiet, as he shouted “Shut the fuck up,” in the middle of the encore rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Knocking On Heaven’s Door.”

Jonathan Wilson also played the evening’s opening slot. Last night’s setlist can be found below and a recap of the RatDog Quartet’s first show on Sunday can be found here.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via RatDog.org

Bob Weir Solo & RatDog Quartet, March 4, 2013, Sweetwater Music Hall, Mill Valley, CA

Bob Weir Set:

Twilight Time, Jack Straw, Artificial Flowers, When I Paint My Masterpiece*, Black-Throated Wind > Loose Lucy, A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall^

RatDog Quartet Set:

Friend of the Devil, Deep Elem Blues, Dark Star*> El Paso* > Sing Me Back Home* > Dark Star* > Come Together* > Fire on the Mountain*, I Know You Rider*
E:
Knockin on Heaven’s Door*

(*)with Jason Crosby
(^)with Jason Crosby, cut short due to crowd noise

Comments

Hollis March 5, 2013, 15:33:58

Hey M Smith, I’m a “wookie” and so are most of my friends. We are way too busy dancing our asses off to talk (or take pics). And not to get into appearances too much, but since you brought it up, in my experience it is the short haired clean cut jock types (like your self maybe) who are talking, being loud and obnoxious, not dancing or paying any attention to the music and ruining other ppls show. As for the “kids” you mention, the younger folks I know at shows are the most enthusiastic, the most attentive and the happiest to be there. The energy they bring helps fuels the music and the scene. Maybe you are just a self-entitled old grump! Remember it’s not wise to upset a wookie!

Jason March 5, 2013, 15:46:27

Not cool to talk through the show but even worse as a performer to leave because of it and complain. Be professional and play since you are being paid. Complete arrogant ahole and I saw his shows before and loved them but that don’t make it right!

Dan March 5, 2013, 15:58:29

It’s california nobody respects anything out here. Reminds me of Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds at the warfield in 1997 when two girls chatted thru the entire show ruining a great accoustic gig.

timmy March 5, 2013, 16:14:52

@charmer, if you were talking loud for an entire song to one of your long lost friends, 90% of the crowd would tell you to shut the fuck up. Incosiderate people like you are the precise reason we’re having this discussion. Nobody’s saying don’t talk. But you better move it to the back. Nobody came there to hear you.

spider March 5, 2013, 16:15:19

and I’ve see and I’ve seen acoustic and o and o and electric I haven’t seen a dead since Jerry died and I’ll never go Bob can’t play acoustic alone I understand his achievements in the hard work you put in for decades but he sounds horrible

Mr. Hankey March 5, 2013, 16:16:25

Phil’s voice sounded fantastic. Said me and about 20,000 other people. So Fuck you guy.

eddie chavez March 5, 2013, 16:18:39

Troll Harder @ Snafunk

Michele March 5, 2013, 16:20:08

I was at last nights show – which, despite all the drama, was a fantastic show. I was in the 3rd row and I didn’t hear any more talking than usual. It was beyond packed. The stage is in the same room as the bar. People are gonna talk. I think Bobby, or any musician, has the right to ask people to keep it down, but it just didn’t seem that loud to me. Maybe I was just too busy dancing and singing along. Bobby sounded great! Really great! He gives a lot back to our community and I’m very grateful to him!

Rob Turner March 5, 2013, 16:20:57

If you can manage to listen long enough to listen to this, you JUST MIGHT learn something> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos

StellaBlue March 5, 2013, 16:23:12

It’s Bob Weir..he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do.

StellaBlue March 5, 2013, 16:23:17

It’s Bob Weir..he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do.

AllforBob March 5, 2013, 16:31:29

Nothing can excuse the behavior of the rude loudmouths at that show. It wasn’t just 2 people,it was rampant. Why did they even go? Hit up a book club if you want to talk.Bob rocks,and he ROCKS HARD! If your not down with that then stay HOME!

RBS March 5, 2013, 16:31:44

When you’ve got hearing loss, it’s very difficult to sort out what you’re trying to hear from background noise. It’s possible that the folks talking are not just irritating Weir, but making it difficult for him to play. And this in his own goddamn club!

StellaBlue March 5, 2013, 16:32:37

Why y’all gotta be pissin Bobby off for? haha!!!

Rob Turner March 5, 2013, 16:33:39

Too many tickets getting into the hands of industry people and not enough into the hands of fans who want to LISTEN to the music, perhaps?

tony edmunds March 5, 2013, 16:50:51

ok, who is the poseur here who goes and sees Furthur and hates Phil and Bobby’s voices. SMH

LilBolt March 5, 2013, 17:23:51

We are so blessed that Bob has devoted his life to bringing us joy and instead of treating him with respect, we drive him to feel like this… :( Unfortunately, the intended message of the Grateful Dead has fallen on some deaf ears that will never get it and just come for the scene. That’s fine, we can’t blame you for wanting to be a part of the magic, but, please, be respectful to those of us that come to spread the love and replenish our souls.

Jerry's Finger March 5, 2013, 17:32:32

Start talking next to me at a show and if you don’t STFU, I’ll drag you outside and beat the shit out of you. Believe me the hassle will be worth the satisfaction. I love Bobby, Phil, and the Dead, but I ain’t no hippie and if that’s what it will take to teach you some respect, then I’m happy to oblige.

Jerry's Finger March 5, 2013, 17:32:47

Jerry's Finger March 5, 2013, 17:33:21

Jerry's Kids March 5, 2013, 17:52:29

Jerry spit on me, I spit on Bob

Tostonesfix March 5, 2013, 18:18:55

Get it together, Ace!

Mark Bernards March 5, 2013, 18:24:46

It is one thing to talk during loud electric music but when someone is playing an acoustic guitar and singing a wordy meaningful song from the gut common courtesy ought to tell one to STFU. It’s rude and annoying.

Bob digital March 5, 2013, 18:33:02

I was there. It’s a bar it was way more annoying to hear the shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That prevailed than the talking. Have to show at the palace of fine arts next time but for 75 bucks I’m gonna talk. Especially when your set list is full of lullabies.

Bob digital March 5, 2013, 18:34:13

Bob has been hanging with kimock too much.

heckler March 5, 2013, 18:38:35

they were probably talking about instagraming an acid deal

206BenJammin March 5, 2013, 18:58:31

Good for you Bobby! That oughta pass the message on!

206BenJammin March 5, 2013, 18:58:32

Good for you Bobby! That oughta pass the message on!

TooFunny March 5, 2013, 19:09:03

Good for you Bobby!
Last I heard, he was part owner of Sweetwater. Next time, tap the bouncers on the shoulder and have the big mouths thrown out! Then get back to business.

Bluefox March 5, 2013, 19:24:41

The point isn’t whether Bobby has a great voice or not, it’s that the people who go to a show should show a bit of respect for the performers and the rest of the audience and let the people who came to listen to the music be able to. I don’t care if it’s a bar, or small venue, or if you haven’t seen your buddy in years, or you’re just having a good time, or it’s your birthday or the phase of the moon or whatever. When the band is playing STFU, or if you need to talk do it quietly in someone else’s ear. It’s not rocket science kids. And what is so f’ing important that it can’t wait until setbreak.

bluefox March 5, 2013, 19:31:23

“ if i see my long lost friend at a show you better believe there will be some loving embraces and catching up and i don’t care who it annoys. i’m not gonna quiet down and be like, let’s take this convo to the back.. kinda ridiculous. “ You my friend are the one being ridiculous. If I paid to see Bob Weir play acoustic in a tiny venue I don’t care if it’s your grandmother come back from the dead that you’re talking to. If you want to catch up, take it outside or to the back you selfish jerk. Life isn’t all about you and your immediate gratification, there is a little thing called respect for others which might be worth considering.

David Quinn March 5, 2013, 19:31:59

Same thing in CO. at Ogden loud mouth dumb bitches, I’m not a hippie I’ll fuck you up you talk next to mt,,Quinn

Chuck Livingston March 5, 2013, 19:59:04

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

bigsky March 5, 2013, 20:05:07

I’m glad that Bobby or Jerry or Phil never sang like an Anglebert Humperdink or a Barry Manilow anyway. If they did, in so many ways, the Dead just wouldn’t be the Dead.

BKF March 5, 2013, 20:19:19

Who is this grumpy old douche?

mb March 5, 2013, 21:21:01

Is everyone reading the same article? It’s not like he stormed off not to be seen again. Didn’t he come back and play another set of electric music? Hard Rain was probably the last song of the set anyway. People need to chill. And since when is it so sacrilege to criticize Bob or Phil’s singing? I thought that’s what Dead heads do. Hell, even Jerry sounded pretty rough many nights in the eighties and nineties. Is it any wonder that Bob’s vocal chords are shot. “At least I’m enjoyin’ the ride…rrrrrride*#$!!!” CSN&Y they aren’t.

KEO March 5, 2013, 21:36:34

I think this is a great discussion and this is a great video below. I fear that it may be the new generation that has no attention span and doesn’t know how to just be and be quiet. Video taping the show on their iPhones only to not actually be paying attention and making a memory in their brain and body instead of on some machine.
The sad thing is that for me going to Dead shows growing up is what gave me my love of live music and taught me to treat live music with respect and that when everyone in the audience is paying attention to the music it can be a really beauriful experience. As someone who grew up with atheist parents,live shows are my church. Its sad to see that disrespect at a Bobby show from a fanbase I expect great respect for the music from. http://backtorockville.typepad.com/back_to_rockville/2010/09/jeff-tweedy-to-talkers-can-you-shut-up-.html

Fred March 5, 2013, 21:56:45

People should show some respect both at the Sweetwater and in this forum. In my book, Bob’s a gift to this world. I’m grateful for every chance I’ve gotten to see him play and I don’t hold it against him for taking offense when folks can’t enjoy the show without ruining the thing for everyone else. Thanks and keep on, Bob. Love ya.

DaddyD March 5, 2013, 22:11:16

“Love this quote: “Phil’s voice sounded fantastic” —said no one. Ever.” I’m a huge Deadhead & love Phil, but come on, no matter who you are, ya’ gotta’ admit—that was pretty funny…

trishnah March 5, 2013, 22:24:01

If it were at Tri, Bobby would just kindly remove the riff raf
Bobby is Legend, whether his voice is good or not…plays an excellent guitar…much respect. keep it positive and love life all…so many haters these days…om shanti !
Couch Tour rules…not problems at home !
Check out Mickey tonight….5.00 and no stress

Stevencap March 5, 2013, 22:39:31

Bob didn’t sound very good. His strumming and rhythm weren’t very accurate. Not a very encouraging performance. Little surprise if people were talking out of boredom. Bob should learn what so many of today’s singer-songwriters have had to learn— that you have to buck up, do what it takes, and get through the set. PS: Bob only (co)wrote one of the songs in all of the night’s set list. Thus, he was essentially performing as a cover artist. And as a cover act, this didn’t look/sound very inspiring.

Laura March 5, 2013, 22:47:06

This isn’t just a problem for Bobby. Loud chatter is rampant at the Sweetwater. And I have no idea why!! Is it because the bar is elevated so it’s louder? Is it because the sound system is so sensitive, that somehow the audience noise is picked up in the mics? Is it because people in Mill Valley are rude and clueless? I don’t know. But the bottom line is if you don’t want to listen to a performance, LEAVE!!!! I’ve seen a lot of shows at the new Sweetwater, and it’s always loud chatter…..It’s very easy for jerks to blame the artist by not entertaining them to their satisfaction. Do you talk outloud through a movie you don’t like? Most likely, NO! Would you talk through a classical performance or an opera???? No you would not. You would leave. If you don’t like the music, leave, and let the people who paid good money to actually listen enjoy the show. STFU indeed.

Tom March 5, 2013, 23:40:36

Yes, it was annoying to have to listen to those spoiled Mill Valley folk talk to each other about how great they are. It’s like self-esteem on steriods. Too bad they can’t stop talking about how many companies they have started to enjoy some good music. I almost turned around and yelled shut the %#$@ up myself, but didn’t was to send out a bad vibe.

Curtis March 5, 2013, 23:43:55

I saw the pic of one of the jaggoffs. He was a wanta be kid wearing a hoodie but cheeesey. I tell them shut up or get fairy dusted.

Tito March 6, 2013, 04:53:00

reading thr these comments….Mr Hankey…you totally stle that “eat a bag of dicks” roast from me…i drop that on fools all the time

S. Lee March 6, 2013, 07:12:48

Show some RESPECT people….... The point is not rather Weir’s vocals are as good as they once were.The point of this is that he is a performer. If you are not enjoying the show…. Find somewhere else to do your chatting! Or better yet LEAVE!

dk70 March 6, 2013, 10:41:44

What a weird scene. Who pays all that bread to get in, plus drinks and then just babbles the whole time? Rude shitheads, thats who.

bigbossman March 6, 2013, 11:05:49

sweetwater is his place so everyone shut the fuck up !

JW March 6, 2013, 11:06:06

Why didn’t any one in the crowd take Bobby’s cue and confront the offending talkers? Sounds like they should have been asked to either show resect or leave by others in the crowd or gotten the shit kicked out of them if they refused. Sounds like Bobby figured the rest of the crowd would be his bouncers and they just twiddled their thumbs and bitched about Bobby freaking out. Pathetic. Grow a spine and a pair, drones.

JW March 6, 2013, 11:09:46

Hah, that’s good stuff Charmer, better hope you don’t reunite with your DB buddy in front of me at a show; sounds like we’ll all be getting thrown out when I tell you to ‘shut the fuck up or leave right now.’

suge March 6, 2013, 12:45:33

i saw the Hard Rain video before Mr. Weir’s legal counsel had it removed. his playing and singing were some of the best i’ve heard from him. its a shame he pulled the plug. i see both sides to the argument, and like the idea of having a bouncer ready to bounce people, who are the cause of the problem, at the artist’s discretion. otherwise, if its just general bar noise, then bobby needs to power thru it, or rather play his acoustic stuff in stuffy theaters.

Ron March 6, 2013, 13:54:03

Rockstars being upset that people pay money to see them play and when they get there they do what they want. I love the Dead and I usually get annoyed with haters but this one one of the sillier things I hear about in the music industry. The Tweedy video on YouTube is hilarious. It’s like he doesn’t want people to continue paying his bills. Even if you are gonna call out your fans, use a little tact.

ramblinrose March 6, 2013, 13:55:09

Here’s the deal…people perform live everywhere with crowds that talk through their whole set…and they feel as frustrated as Bobby did. Bobby received money to do his set. He did not receive money to be annoyed or to hush people down. Yeah folks are wrong and being disrespectful but that’s besides the point. He received money for services and that’s what his focus needs to be. Regardless of whether folks are polite or not..shouldn’t he be more of an adult! Bob Weir is not a God. I’ve seen 350 plus shows (GD) and I’ve seen him more than once not be particularly kind to folks. We all have our moments. But the fact is those people paid for those tickets and if they want to talk wrong as it is…its their money. For the folks who say they aren’t hippies and will beat you up if you talk next to them…its just bluff. And worse than the talkers you go from talking to violence and then act and play “Big Boss Man” let’s just say the “harder you come the harder you’ll fall” l was disappointed with Bob’s behavior. I see it as immature and narcissistic. And I agree with many of the young posters here that state that they are full of enthusiams. At 50 it was the older folks in the crowd here in Denver and in Broomfield that talked too much. The younger kids stood in awe. Frankly, Bob showed a lack of professionalism and spoiled nastiness that will cloud his legend if he continues with these tantrums. And if you notice he behaves in a way that generally gets people riled up. I’ve seen him at at least 12 shows where he’s fiddling with his amp on stage during a Little Feat, Furthur, RatDog and even Grateful Dead shows…where he plays and plays with the amp during the song and set as if he’s fixing a problem and then hits his strings with his fingers as if he’s doing a soundcheck all the while not playing but fiddling during a whole song(s). Jesus! Move Weir to the side…move Chimenti by Hadlichek and let people who want to play and not pose at being important do just that. And if you are a professional you aren’t worried if you’re crowd is talking or not…you’re worried your craft is being perfected as you work on it. If folks paying money to see you isn’t good enough…and if you don’t like a bar environment perform in Chamber Rooms. But for the most part…whether people do or do not listen to your set isn’t your problem Bob. And if the money they pay isn’t good enough don’t! You rarely see Phil do these tantrums…fiddle with his bass during a whole set…be disruptive. While I think it was wrong for folks to talk. I find it worse Bob acted as if he was in 7th grade. And if decades of love and support aren’t enough well then Bob…take a step back!

DUSTBOWLTOM March 6, 2013, 14:47:17

StellaBlue
March 5, 2013, 16:23:17
It’s Bob Weir..he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do. rright arm!

Joe Davis March 6, 2013, 16:07:45

Bobby is a paid PROFESSIONAL MUSICIAN all u deadheads out there who can’t give it up need to realize that bobby is not a god and bobby solo acoustic is fucking BORING a hard rain’s gonna fall is an amazing song to listen to… But LIVE in a bar thats proven to be rowdy and loud? Just sounds like a terrible song choice. And bobby’s guitar playing was awful u can tell because the virtuoso violin player standing next to him had to hold out long legato notes for when bobby would slip out of timing YES he has his own unique style of playing and that worked great for the dead with many instrumental layerings but im gonna say him cutting that short was a blessing in disguise.. Anyone who plays guitar or any instrument professionally can not say his playing was good because it wasnt he was out of rhythm he was stumbling over chords and melodies it was bad. Sorry IK all u Grateful Gangsters think Bobby is the second coming of christ but guess what hes not and hes a professional and those people talking also PAID TO BE THERE!!! Bobbys JOB IS TO PLAY MUSIC NOT BE AN USHER!!! Any mature professional musician wouldve played thru it for the people who are listening and paid he comes off as a spoiled brat who doesnt realize its almost time for him to hang it up…. Bobby is least respectful remaining member of the dead and the worst musician hes constantly distracted on stage constantly turning around to adjust his absolutely terrible CHING CHING tone thats become so metallic sounding that it doesnt even remind me of the classic compressed bobby from the 70s. Hes awful live and phil, jeff and fake jerry make furthur bob weir could quit that band and they could bring in larry campbell or jackie and it would be way better…. But wait wouldnt that just be Phil and Friends?....

tom s March 6, 2013, 16:26:01

irrespective of legacy or status, if you are a professional artist, and people are paying good money to see you perform, you must deliver the goods. if you do not get the reaction you want or feel that you deserve, it is incumbent upon you to change your approach. should a change be impossible you are going to have to thicken your skin and play the night out. this is a lesson every gigging musician must learn. if you are a fan at a show, you will find that common courtesy does indeed fit thru the front door and can be leveraged in the event of artist fail. you can even use the front door to leave the event. but, to ruin it for others is unacceptable. bottom line: artists and fans both have responsibilities. i guess that this was forgotten at the sweetwater.

jennifer kinghorn March 6, 2013, 20:15:01

yeah, another symptom of the shitty little assholes who frequent these shows and festivals now. bunch of dickheads. remember when people used to go and really listen to the music and sing along and dance and be happy with being there? not any more, none of these idiots can hang their phones up and shut up. Proves how little they actually care about the music, its all about the scene and the drugs.

jennifer kinghorn March 6, 2013, 20:16:41

Michael March 7, 2013, 09:19:35

Bob is right. The talkers suck. And whoever wrote that it’s one type of person who is talking is full of crap. Talkers come in all shapes and sizes. I’m a NYC corporate lawyer and I sometimes come to shows straight from work in my damned suit. I would NEVER EVER EVER talk during a Bob/Furthur/Anyone Good show. Talk after. The suggestion that guys like me are the talkers is preposterous.

Ultimatelywhogivesafuck March 7, 2013, 10:07:25

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAS HA HA HA HA HA HEY BOBBY...WAT u expect in some small room with a bunch of doped up idiots.. AN ACID TEST???? Looks like somebody SHIT there diaper..OLD FUCK

Rudy March 7, 2013, 13:57:00

Bob Weir isn’t known for being a tempermental artist with high expectations for audience behavior. You can only imagine the scenes he’s experienced in almost fifty years of live performances. To react as he did, either he was in a very agitated state or there were some real annoying and distracting folks in attendance. From an audience perspective, save the socializing for a set break or take it to the back of the room. It’s a simple courtesy.

spelunker March 7, 2013, 14:19:04

I went to the Sundays show, he paused a couple of times to adjust his mic at the very beginning of his acoustic gig. I think he should have rigged his mic before he starts to play. If people were talking it’s because his music isn’t compelling, Weir playing was mediocre at best, NOT worth $70. I won’t make that mistake again.

viola lee March 7, 2013, 22:10:29

People whisper in museum so why not whisper when people are playing music. People want to blame the older crowd, the wookies, etc.. . In my opinion, it is the over consumption of alcohol and cluelessness. When people pay at least 50.00 for a show, they should hear the music not about your kids, dogs and try not to sing to people since we are there to hear the artists. Also, people who work at the venue are responsible for customer satisfaction as well as . People don’t yell at the Symphony, at Yoshi’s, even at the Fillmore. So. . . just wait until the song is over and if someone asks you nicely to stop talking, it’d be nice if the talkers didn’t get so defensive and start yelling at you. Yes, that happened at Jackie Greene at the Sweetwater. This guy yelled that Jackie hadn’t started playing. He was clearly on stage playing music. Like I said earlier, alcohol and cluelessness.

Jdog March 8, 2013, 00:42:27

Shut the front door.

JIMMYMAC March 7, 2013, 18:45:58

Why in the world would any one go to a show and talk the whole time. I live in Indy and I am lucky if they play a two nighter in Chicago. I guaran-damn-tee if I drove hours to catch a show. Your gona keep your damn mouth shut while the band is playin. If you don’t like Bobby don’t go to the show. At least be respectful and go to the back of the venue if you must talk. Come to the midwest Furthur, we will respect you.

Larry March 8, 2013, 13:20:08

I’ve read the article and many of the comments and am mystified by this communities reaction. This is not acceptable behavior for anyone to be loud and rude enough that they ruin it for the audience, not to mention the performer who you have paid to see. This is not a value statement on Bob Weir as a quality performer and/ or guitar player. For those of little knowledge and manners, Bob Weir is a hell of a player, a great singer and songwriter. Why would anyone to trash that performer(s). I don’t understand why the clubs security didn’t get involved and toss those being rude. It’s very simple; you don’t go anywhere and behave like pigs to the extent that the evening is ruined for the audience as well as the performer. It’s that simple.

Chucky cheese string March 8, 2013, 14:41:10

Stop crying and play your guitar!!

Chucky cheese string March 8, 2013, 15:30:35

Boo hoo! I am plaaaaaaaaying here!! Please stop taaaaaalking!!!

Jim March 8, 2013, 17:54:24

We were seeing the Dead at Hampton one year. Maybe it was 85 or 6. I was taping but my buddy was not. He said that these 2 people were behind him talking loud the whole time. He tried to enjoy the show as he could anyway, but when the show was over he struck up a conversation with them. “Where did y’all come from” he asked. “New York” they said “Wow” he replied. “You drove all the way from New York to Virginia to see the Dead and then you wasted the whole show by talking thru it and not paying attention” Then he walked off.

BroEsau March 11, 2013, 08:15:04

Yes, people should not be talking and yes Bobby had the right to be irritated and yes he is a performer who should take this more in stride. But I find it worrisome that he was so irritable and impulsive that he acted the way he did. There would have been so many other ways to address the situation, like tell people between songs that he was having a hard time hearing himself, asking others to tell those close by to keep it down or at the break ask the managers to do something about it. The fact that his problem solving abilities and impulse control were so poor that he ended up swearing at people from the stage is not a good sign as far as his mental health and emotional stabilty go. I think that is the real story here.

Furthur gg March 11, 2013, 12:11:59

Shitheads come in all shape and sizes. Most people our selfish in a time were people tweet and Facebook , simply put jam bands clash with this mentality. I’ve seen 3 bob solo shows you could hear a needle drop during the Santa Fe set and the promoter let all us works gg in ticketless all remained quiet and grateful. If you show up just to talk about how great things were and blah blah I could give a fuk how many shows you were at stay home dust off your maxwell tapes and feel so special about your time. get off the bus you old selfish fuks

happycat March 11, 2013, 14:14:49

Steve March 12, 2013, 11:25:21

So glad you told the wannabees to shut the fuck up.If people can’t appreciate classic of that caliber suck as Knockin and A Hard rain they have no clue what classics they are.Good for you Bobby.Other thasn the idiots nin thencrowd I heard the show was sweet.Obviously those peoplem have no idea what good classic are.Tahts also a direct Boo to Dylan also.Not cool.Love you Bobby keep those wannabees in place. PEACE

MAZ March 12, 2013, 11:38:38

I am commenting to the post that says bobby is hanging out with Kinmock too much.How can you hang out with him too much.He is a superb gutarist and any influence that comes from him I can think would be a positive.I would love to be a fly on the wall in some of their conversations.One can only imagine.

John B March 12, 2013, 12:52:55

WEir storms off the stage after telling paying patrons to STFU? what an asshole. I’ve attended hundreds of shows and have endured the talkers ; the pukers and the tough guy D BAGS . If i go to a show now i go with the expectation that there will be assholes in the crowd and i either put up with them ; ask them POLITELY to keep it down or i move or leave. Weir maybe its time you hung up your rock n roll shoes.

Mike March 13, 2013, 19:55:51

Good for Bob. People who talk at concerts have no respect for the musician it is that simple. Thanks Bob, now for all you ass holes who talk during concerts, shut the fuck up and stay the fuck home.

One of the First Deadheads March 15, 2013, 16:10:36

I remember going to shows in the early and mid-1970’s, where we would sit on the floor, and listen quietly, even if it was an electric show. Now, these morons are yelling at one another over the music, and waving their cell phones in the air, “hey, I’m here!” to their moron friends. What do you not understand about consideration for the artist, the audience? Have any of you overgrown children ever gone to a symphonic performance? Did you stand up in front of the person behind you and start talking about the usual, mundane, non-intelligent crap that the brain dead dumbed down people of today supposedly “converse” about? You don’t even know what constitutes a conversation. Can you get up in front of an audience and play, from memory, the notes, chords and words that create a song? What about the people that paid good hard earned money to see that performer? And what if this was the only opportunity they had to see this performer, and you ruined it for them? I know I’m wasting my time here, because people of this spoiled and ego-centric so called society we live in do not give a sh$% for anyone but themselves, they talk about love and peace and they hug each other and pretend their good people, but all they think or care about is themselves, they can’t even shut their worthless mouths long enough to LISTEN to what they paid for. We’re heading into oblivion, and I’m glad. I hope California falls into the Pacific, and all those phony hippies with it.

One of the First Deadheads March 15, 2013, 16:12:56

Bill March 20, 2013, 19:03:00

Hey Hollis- You are a major D-bag. That is all. Thanks!

Gentleman Jack March 30, 2013, 11:27:28

When I go to a rock and roll show, I expect silence and conformity! If Weir ever does this again, the appropriate response is to scream “HEY BOBBY, TUNE YOUR GUITAR!”

Michael C. April 16, 2013, 21:04:27

The first time Bob stopped and STFU I was standing on the ramp – along the level-terraced hand rail, just great for sitting your drink down. I did hear some noise in the back – but Bob’s STFU stopped me cold. I just kept staring at the crowd – fillin’ the room. I’m thinkin’ about the story of the gReatful dEad. Bringin’ eternal life home to your father – and Bob bein’ an orphan. This whole trip’s a workin’ thing.

DEbeachgirl April 26, 2013, 04:05:19

Jesus, our band wouldn’t play a note if we demanded silence. A long droning set of slow songs bores people and Bobbo has been performing long enough to know that. If it was just a couple disruptive aholes in the front then he should have had them bounced or at least asked to move. In my experience it’s been the kiddies that are only there to score in their crispy new tie dyes that cause the issues. Shows aren’t what they use to be. Now it’s all putting on anshow and playing dress up and calling yourself a hippie.

Kyle April 26, 2013, 10:31:56

Bon Weir, you’re my hero.

Marcos May 1, 2013, 14:53:57

Real professionals NEVER tell audience members to shut up much less throw a temper tantrum like a two-year old and walk off the stage. Weir is pathetic. Perhaps if the chatty girls weren’t completely bored to death by his music, they might stop talking and listen.

mary snyder May 13, 2013, 06:15:50

Sure flapping your muddy wings now. stick with one thing. when you can do that well add another. maybe youve had too much too fast. dont overplay your part

middle school May 16, 2013, 03:39:33

I bet all the talkers have their store bought wings. “GDF” these days is like middle school All the cool kidz are doing it. Got ur wingz yo?

cabdriver July 31, 2013, 21:11:46

Self-entitled non-listening “scene-makers” talking all the way through tunes have been around for decades. Check out some of the most legendary jazz club recordings. Like a noisy cocktail party. I seem to recall one of the Eric Dolphy Five Spot recordings as particularly annoying. However, the advent of the cellphone era has made matters at least an order of magnitude worse. I pick and choose my venues for attending shows very carefully these days. And sometimes it’s still no use. Spare us the “I paid $$$ to get into the show, I can talk if I want” line. Phony to the core. The last Jerry Garcia show I ever saw was April 15,1995, at the Warfield. Two women in an adjoining row talked all the way through the jam on “Don’t Let Go”. When I politely requested that they give it a rest, one of them replied “Oh, we can talk!” All I could say in response was, “Boy, can you ever.” A moment that I suppose I’ll always remember. Fortunately, they refrained from exercising that self-proclaimed“right to free speech” during the next song, “Positively 4th Street”, and the encore, “Moonlight Midnight”. Res ipsa loquitor. If you’re talking, you aren’t listening. So what are you doing at a live music performance?

outletemevg November 27, 2013, 23:22:58

ҐЗҐеҐЩҐЖҐЈҐ« ҐµҐ¤Ґє #wwGW http://www.thomasbragg.co.uk/index1.htm – north face sale bP_NM http://www.nurikabe.jp/images/uggs.php – ҐўҐ° ҐЦ©`ҐД G#THO isabel marant sneakers wy%`m chaussures isabel marant i – = – [

Buddy April 4, 2014, 21:11:52

THis is nothing new. Checkout the end of Deal 8-21-72. bob rips the crowd jerry makes some comment in the back about asshole speech, bob tries to make light of it saying something about running for mayor and jerry says, “yeah…...of Fremont”. Bobs been bashing the sweet water crowd on tales from the golden road the last couple times he’s been on.

Buddy April 5, 2014, 08:30:42

Maybe the dark is from your eyes….

Snafunk March 5, 2013, 11:10:32

They were probably talking about how shitty Bobby sounds…..

Jackie March 5, 2013, 11:02:45

Good for you Bobby!! Do shows in Europe where the crowds are quiet and respectful during quiet acoustic performances. I won’t even go to see acoustic shows in bigger venues because of the drunken loud mouth bafoons. To quote the great Bob Weir “shut the fuck up”. To bad it ruined it for the folks who actually paid to listen to music.

sean March 5, 2013, 11:03:19

The people in the audience were venting about the $150 price for Capitol tix. Very bad form fellas.
Good for DSO they r much better anyway.

timmy March 5, 2013, 11:13:20

I’m so glad he did that. I bet is was a group of kids with ADD, talking on their smartphones. Nothing irritates me more. Shut the fuck up is right. People need to learn some show etiquette.

cosmicbein March 5, 2013, 11:15:03

Talk is cheap,Bobby could whoop all your asses if he wanted.

Shinymetalass March 5, 2013, 11:24:03

Snafunk, then you arent listening, nor tuning into the Weir Here’s or any of the Live FREE Webcasts he provides. He’s great, this is his atmosphere that Bob shines in, he’s had great guest, great QandA topics, Great Setlists, and he’s been happy in every one, preforming great music with fantastic musical guests. You were prolly talking during this show as well

Snafunk March 5, 2013, 11:27:22

I saw Further last week in Colorado and all I can say is “Thank god for backup singers” He sounds as bad as Phil does.

Patrick March 5, 2013, 11:27:33

snafunk, you’re an idiot who obviously has no respect, Bobby has accomplished more in his life than you ever will. especially sitting behind your little screen trolling websites…tool

walthers March 5, 2013, 11:35:14

Not even a big Weir/Dead fan but I don’t blame him. It amazes me that people spend their money to go to a show to just talk through the entire thing. Not only is it rude to the performer but to the audience members that came to listen. I wish all those people would STFU or leave. Nobody gives a shit about you, your day, or what the hell you have going on in your life that is so important to discuss right then. Check it at the door and be polite, the world is not your living room you drunk bastards.

timmy March 5, 2013, 11:45:06

Accoustic sets just aren’t as interesting as a face melting DJ set. Who is this old guy anyway? He’s boring. Let’s stream some Bassnectar on our phones brah.

Yossarian March 5, 2013, 11:50:08

How come nobody can shut up at Terrapin Crossroads either? It’s too expensive to not listen. Bob should hit some different venues/cities up… sounds like people are getting spoiled.

Lucas March 5, 2013, 11:52:35

Acoustic set or not…..too many people are going to shows for the wrong reason!! If you want to socialize go to a karaoke bar assholes!! Those people that are talking alwys whistle and cheer the loudest even though they never even heard the song. And they are the ones begging for an encore because they just talked through the whole show!!!!!

Deadchief Bruce March 5, 2013, 11:56:11

Same thing was happening in Tucson at the Rialto. yak yak yak yak yak blah blah blah during some acoustic stuff. We asked them to stop talking during the performance. Sure makes live music more enjoyable when you can hear the performer, ya know? STFU at shows, people!

Zimbabwelion March 5, 2013, 12:14:41

I keep hearing about these $150 Cap tickets, but then go online and can find $55 tickets. Check your complaint for accuracy. Also, for all those complaining about how bad Bobby sounds or how old Phil is or any such nonsense, just wait and it will all be over soon enough. Time will heal your barbs in the form of finality, of the band members not being around anymore. So perhaps seeks out something where you get to voice `good times were had by all, ´cause you are what you eat.´ Ahh yeah , pleaseshut up during the gig or at least go stand by the bathrooms, cause your work day ramble isn´t as interesting as Hard Rain or Looks Like Rain or maybe even Samba in the Rain…

Shadow March 5, 2013, 12:18:45

It’s real simple…At the entrance, put a sign that reads, ‘If you cannot maintain proper and respectful etiquette, you will be asked to leave and no refund will be given.” After almost 50 years of performing and leaving his heart on the stage every time that he picks-up his guitar, Bob has earned the respect accorded to an artist of his stature. Bob and Phil are national treasures. We should all thank God that, not only are they still performing, but that they’re still with us. We shall never see the likes of The Grateful Dead ever again… To quote the late, great Bill Graham, “Not only are they the best at what they do, they’re the only ones who do what they do!”

mike March 5, 2013, 12:20:57

if you guys think bobby sucks then dont see furthur or ratdog or his solo stuff. there are so many of us who LOVE bobby and everything he does. as far as 150 for capital tickets? maybe you should look around before you buy your tickets since i got 2 nights for ~120.

Mattyd1974 March 5, 2013, 12:22:44

Snafunk, how old are you? 12? Because you certainly speak as if you are. Show a little respect and stop acting like a gutterpunk

McNasty March 5, 2013, 12:23:12

I woulda killed to be there . Snafunk You suck! and
Timmy obviously you have no idea about shit… Sorry to any Fam I usually don’t bitch but that shit pisses me off…

John J. Wood March 5, 2013, 12:24:30

Bravo to Weir for shushing those loudmouth asses. More artists should do so. Had I been at the show, I would have told those loudmouths to STFU — and have at many a show. If you are there to talk, then you are at a show for the wrong reasons. Period.

scottane March 5, 2013, 12:31:53

kudos to Snafunk for speaking the truth. bobby can’t even tune his pink strat. saw further’s best show to date in Chicago at the Agora and bobby’s guitar is rank. as are is man-pris.

scottane March 5, 2013, 12:31:53

leftside quack March 5, 2013, 12:33:00

They changed the article. Did Bobby tell the group to STFU or did he not? This is a very important fact. I hope he did…

ikoiko March 5, 2013, 12:34:01

word Shadow! The band was refered to as the GRATEFUL dead right? people should be grateful instead of bitchin. Thays the way its been in town,ever since they tore the jukebox down.

ikoiko March 5, 2013, 12:37:37

hey scottane we really dont give a fuck about your opinion. Go eat molly at a,skrillex button pushing event. What kind of loser takes the time to post there irrelevant insignifigant opinion ? Bobby would make you wash his man pris pussy. 13 points up in ya

timmy March 5, 2013, 12:39:31

@McNasty: I don’t know shit huh? Take the time to thouroughly read, and catch a wiff of sarcasm? .....OK? Forgiven.

yilano March 5, 2013, 12:49:17

Good call, Bobby! I don’t appreciate people talking during concerts, movies, operas, or pretty much any other entertainment that I spend time and money to see. How embarrassing for the audience and the Sweetwater.

m smith March 5, 2013, 12:50:55

Kids and wookies, mostly punks who think they’re entitled.

D bag March 5, 2013, 13:04:35

Snafunk rules

bilbo March 5, 2013, 13:04:55

150 a ticket…??

Bill Harriman March 5, 2013, 13:09:19

I’m with Bob here. Usually these crowds police themselves. I’m surprised that some of the folks who were around these chatterboxes didn’t tell them to show some respect and shut the hell up. After all, they knew an electric set was coming. Isn’t that the time to cut loose?

Ya mutha March 5, 2013, 13:13:05

All due respect but Bobs voice is shot.When Jerry was alive him and Phil hardly ever sang lead.Why do think that was?Weir and Dylan great songwriters who couldn’t ever sing.

D bag March 5, 2013, 13:19:56

Bobby should use some of his 30 mill on guitar lessons

Roberto Vital March 5, 2013, 13:26:28

Whether or not you like the show, the artist, his voice, or think he’s this or that does NOT matter. The majority paid to hear the band play. If you can’t keep quiet at a concert, you don’t belong there. Stay home, and don’t ruin it for others. This is basic civility and good manners.

soul stu March 5, 2013, 13:37:38

@Ya Mutha, bobby never sang lead in GD you say? What about sugar magnolia, playing in the band, music never stopped, jack straw, greatest story, bobby mcghee, blackthroated wind, masterpiece, other one & everybody’s favorite Picasso Moon! just to name a few…

Snafunk March 5, 2013, 13:38:43

relax everyone…I never said anything about Bobby’s history, legacy or any of his accomplishments in life or music. What I said is that today as a 60+ yr old man, his voice is shitty and thank god Further has backup singers to support it.

ex roadie March 5, 2013, 13:39:32

The Grateful Dead is the greatest band on the planet ,bar none.Bobby was in that band ,his feelins towards dumb fucks talkin during a show are shared amounst all of us none dumb fucks!

j.d. March 5, 2013, 13:40:29

Chicago was not Furthur’s best show to-date. Try the Sweetwater run. And good for Bob. STFU pp.

deadchief BMW March 5, 2013, 13:45:51

Bobby sang about 50% of the GD lead vocals, Jerry and Bobby would do every other song most of the time. Love all the armchair critics who think they know all about vocals, guitar playing, writing songs, harmonizing. STFU applies to you.

Picster March 5, 2013, 14:04:02

I saw that stream. I’m in shock. What, nobody shut those assholes down? One warning and then you’re gone. I’m a sometimes talker but I do it back at the bar. Have some respect people! For the performer and for the audience! I would have taken matters into hand. And where was security?

Mark March 5, 2013, 14:09:45

Bob is a great singer. He may have lost a little since he is 60+ but he still sounds great! Now when Furthur does a show they really do need to turn off Phil’s microphone because he STILL can’t sing and never could. Not sure why he even tries anymore? Keep blasting the bass Phil that’s where you kick ass!!!

beachgal March 5, 2013, 14:15:56

Wonderful to hear Jonathan Wilson sing Fire on the Mountain. He’s done that one before a couple times now with groups of ‘incarnation.’ Jason Crosby’s fiddle was lovely both nights. He’s a consummate pro – listen to him play on Cumberland Blues with Furhur 2-24-13, a Broomefield, CO http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F13EkAwM1JU

Bayou March 5, 2013, 14:23:09

It sucks that people were talking but sucks even more that he walked off. Everyone who paid for the show must have been losses bobby should have powered through for the true fans don’t let a couple of assholes ruin it for everyone. My .02

Jules March 5, 2013, 14:31:11

It’s about time. I can only imagine how disrespected he felt. He owns part of the Sweet water. Mill Valley is his home. I agree with putting up the etiquette sign and ushering people out the door for being rude and inconsiderate. Oh and by the way, I saw Furthur at Edgefield in Oregon in September and Bobby was in top form, as was the rest of the band. And the Furthur Sweet water run was out of control. As far as talking shit about Weir I will leave you with this: “If a man among you has no sin upon his hand, let him cast a stone at me for playing in the band”....l

Elisa Brooks March 5, 2013, 14:41:26

Personally, I get very offended. We all make time and spend money for the shows. You are all so talented and this talking situation is very stressful and Rude. Had it! It is super painful @ Yoshi’s when people are ordering food and the sound is so sensitive.

Henry March 5, 2013, 14:42:43

What do you expect when you’re playing for the polar fleece and BMW crowd?

Scott Bernstein March 5, 2013, 14:46:30

The annoying talkers were present in full force at Bobby’s solo show celebrating the opening of The Cap a few months back. The crowd, who’d also paid quite a bit to be there as a benefit for Headcount, were using Bobby’s set as background music for their LOUD discussions. Bobby also commented that he was trying to do some sensitive stuff and people should have some respect (he almost abandoned “Lost Sailor” due to this, but was encourged by some people egging him on to finish it and do the “Saint Of Circumstance” that followed). But I actually had to ask some people around me to be quiet as they were talking VERY LOUDLY over the music as if they couldn’t care less about it. Just a question of courtesy.and consideration for the musicians and the folks around you. Yes, I understand you’re happy to see your friends that you haven’t seen in a while….but take it out to the bar if you want to chat with them. Or better yet, exchange numbers and go out to dinner or a bar sometime.

Mr. Hankey March 5, 2013, 14:48:37

Snafunk – first off: you can eat a dick or multiple dicks for that matter. I was also at Broomfield and I thought Phil’s voice sounded fantastic for a man of his age. If you wern’t moved by his vocals on “Unbroken Chain” then I really cannot fathom why you’d even waste your time and money on something that you don’t enjoy. Moron.

Snafunk March 5, 2013, 14:52:44

Mr. Hankey…ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I didn’t go to Broomfield, I was at the Ogden.

Mr. Hankey March 5, 2013, 14:57:52

oh, my bad. you were at the ogden. you can still eat a bag of dicks.

Jeff March 5, 2013, 15:06:34

I saw Bobby last Oct. at the Cap. He play solo acoustic and his vocals sounded fantastic. Just like the sweet baritone he has always had. He played his classic signature rhythm guitar. He owns his own personal style of playing. Everyone in attendance showed him the respect he deserves and the respect all the other fans deserve. As for Phil singing I believe he’s earned the right to play and to sing when ever and what ever he pleases. I can’t wait for the Furthur run at the Capital in April. One more saturday night .Like an angel, standing in a shaft of light
Rising up to paradise, I know I’m gonna shine. Gonna be a long, long, crazy, crazy night
Silky, silky, crazy, crazy night Since I’m passing your way today. Well, well, well, you can never tell.
I just stopped in ‘cause I want to say, Well, well, well, you can never tell.
Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurres to me What a long, strange trip it’s been.

EDMsux March 5, 2013, 15:11:55

You can certainly tell who has the glowsticks and flat bills on this thread.

Jay March 5, 2013, 15:12:00

I agree with the post above. Put up a sign that lets people know that this is an intimate performance in a very personal atmosphere and if you don’t respect that you will be thrown out the door. Bobby Weir is an iconic artist on par with every other musician of his age. There are millions of fans out there who would give their left arm to see him play in a place like that. This is a man that has played in venues so large he looked like an ant on the stage. Do you think for one minute that Clapton, Dylan, McCartney, or any of his peers would use his own money to build a small venue with perfect acoustics just so he could entertain a few dozen fans whenever he wanted to? Do you think Bobby cares even a little about the few thousand bucks they take in at the door on a night like that? I saw Bobby chase Chris Robinson across the stage swinging his guitar at him for being disrespectful to Jorma at the Further Festival years ago. Those guys are lucky that he didn’t come off the stage and wallop them. If you are going to talk endlessly instead of watch the show, just stay home and watch it on the Internet.

samwise March 5, 2013, 15:18:03

I was at The Cap show too and Scott is not lying. It’s a not a baseball game please just shut the fuck up. That being said, part of me feels like its the artist’s duty to just play through it for the sake of the other fans who aren’t being assholes.

Charmer March 5, 2013, 15:19:07

so he was talking to the entire venue to basically shutup and quiet down? or was it specifically like two people being a nuisance? he should of just pushed through it like a champ for the real fans imo. it’s a concert venue right? there will be talking and drunks. it’s not going to be silent like an opera house… there’s aholes at every show. tough it out for the ppl who paid and love you by finishing your set. but if it was just a select few, why not directly call them out or ask security in between songs to stop them by pointing them out? it had to be going on for awhile to all of asudden swear; at most likely loyal fans who were alittle too tipsy and having a goodtime together, to realize their noise level. I mean cmon, ever been to that party were you’re asked ppl to quiet down and five minutes later it’s even louder? no one meant any real harm. just sounds so absurd to expect no talking. if i see my long lost friend at a show you better believe there will be some loving embraces and catching up and i don’t care who it annoys. i’m not gonna quiet down and be like, let’s take this convo to the back.. kinda ridiculous. if you want a quiet show have it at a sit down coffee house with no alcohol. sorry i know where everyone is coming from, but just sounds so absurd how everyone is naive and like, yeah STFU GAWD. stop caring so much and lighten up.

Snafunk March 5, 2013, 15:21:35

Hey Mr. Hankey when you are done w/ the bag of dicks, let me know and i’ll swing by and pick them up. Love this quote: “Phil’s voice sounded fantastic” —said no one. Ever.