Published: 2013/03/13

Slumdog Millionaire / 127 Hours Director Danny Boyle Talks Phish

Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle is the latest celebrity to discuss Phish. As reported by Movieline, during a recent 92nd St Y Tribeca talk the director talked about his decision not to use Phish’s music in his film 127 Hours. The film follows outdoorsman Aron Ralston, who famously amputated his right arm in order to free himself from a boulder. Ralston is an outspoken fan of bands like Phish and The String Cheese Incident, the latter of whom played a benefit for him after his accident. Though James Franco, who plays Ralston in the film, wears a Phish shirt throughout 127 Hours, Boyle chose not to include The Vermont Quartet on the film’s soundtrack.

However, Boyle does list his favorite Clash albums in the interview.

Comments

Carl Royer March 13, 2013, 16:34:44

What a weenie! Why didn’t he check out Cheese. Obviously it wasn’t his style of music, but it was Aaron’s. Very disappointed he was not open enough to include something by Phish or SCI. He’s obviously not on the bus!

Stew Nelson March 13, 2013, 16:41:49

the song “free” would have been perfect after he amputates said arm…

samwise March 13, 2013, 16:43:01

I’ll never forgive Danny Boyle for the way he ended “Sunshine.” That movie was so damn good until it inexplicably turned into a slasher film in the last half hour. And “Slumdog Millionaire” was just a half ass “City of God.” DANNY BOYLE YOU SUCK

samwise March 13, 2013, 16:43:01

Conor B. March 13, 2013, 16:46:01

I liked it better without Phish in the actual soundtrack. Its those moments in the film like belting Sleeping Monkey that make it awesome, only Phish fans can pick up on the references.

Conor B March 13, 2013, 16:54:49

Hey! I’m conor b! that guys an imposter ^^

Robert March 13, 2013, 17:24:33

Ben March 13, 2013, 17:51:53

“I tried with Phish,” Boyle said in the interview. “I bought everything and listened to it multiple times…but I found it very, very difficult.” Dear Mr. Boyle….It’s not about you. It’s about the story. I think he meant it was difficult to pair the music with the film. He is the director afterall. I like Phish, but I can kinda see where he is coming from. By the way, this is news because?

Christopher Deal March 13, 2013, 21:11:26

Fun Fact #42:
My wife saw Aron Ralston speak in Orlando a month ago… he said he was listening to Phish when he got stuck. During the Q and A session that followed his inspirational speech, where everyone else was asking him all these serious life affirming questions, she asked him simply as to what show he was listening to when he got stuck. The Answer: 2/15/2003 Las Vegas, NV (Set II)

dude March 13, 2013, 23:34:03

I had a similar experience w/ Ralston at one of his speaking engagements. We just talked about Phish.

Oops March 14, 2013, 00:55:10

Ralston proved that the only way to survive post-1990’s Phish is to chop off your own arm.

MarZaPhiGar March 14, 2013, 03:07:30

I bet he hasn’t eaten acid and danced nekkid in the rain, either. Pity.

yaaaawwwnboy March 14, 2013, 09:13:27

If he would have put phish in the soundtrack it would have put the audience to bed!!!

me March 14, 2013, 10:41:41

I’ve never seen the movie… but, for whatever reason, I can’t help but think the intro to “A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing” seems to fit into a story like that… of course, no one listens to Undermind, so…

ezzulus March 14, 2013, 11:42:39

wanker

hmmm March 14, 2013, 12:26:55

from the referenced article about his love of the Clash: “Boyle went so far as to say that nobody does music better than his fellow [British] countrymen and women. “I think we are really brilliant at music,” he said. “We’re rubbish at films, actually. It’s not really in our DNA. But music is.” “ translates as:
“I might not be worth a shit at directing movies, but my ancestral roots qualify me to affirm that Phish’s tunes are laughable at best and in no way could fit in my wonder of a film.”

timmy March 14, 2013, 15:25:47

So, he decides to get their studio work, and bases his opinion on that? He obviously doesn’t know shit about live improvisational music. I love The Clash too, but branch out a little, Danny.

Andrew March 14, 2013, 16:02:38

He should have hired Trey to compose music to it from watching the movie…That would be pretty epic i bet….

kye March 14, 2013, 19:45:05

@yawnboy and oops trool someplace else i can think of 20 songs that would fit that movie you FIN tolls

Grey March 14, 2013, 17:05:25

STRANGE DESIGN

Oops March 15, 2013, 13:29:25

Ralston never would have fallen if he was listening to Fall 95 or Fall 97. Prove me wrong.