Published: 2013/03/19

Campaign to Restore Kesey’s Furthur Bus

The late Ken Kesey’s daughter-in-law, Stephanie Kesey, has started a GoFundMe campaign to raise money to restore the iconic Furthur bus. Kesey is asking for $10,000 for the Furthur Down the Road Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit that is tasked with restoring the bus and preserving the legacy of Ken Kesey. The bus is currently rusting away, and the foundation would like to have it back in its 1960s condition soon in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Merry Pranksters’ cross country roadtrip, which is coming up in 2014.

Ken Kesey passed away in 2001, but the legacy of his 1964 road trip continues to this day. The bus is an icon of the 1960s counter-culture and it is also the namesake of Phil Lesh and Bob Weir’s current project, Furthur. If you would like to donate to the campaign to restore the Futhur bus, you can do so here.

Comments

Chucky cheese string March 19, 2013, 12:05:57

I guess I cannot understand why no one had stepped up in the last 50 years and took this thing into storage at least? I mean look at that picture. It seems crazy to me. But what do I know??

Cheap Charlie March 19, 2013, 12:54:30

It would be nice if Weir or Lesh stepped up with some money for this, but don’t hold your breath…they are a couple of cheap Charlies!

Rumor has it March 19, 2013, 13:17:16

This had been around for years… The whole “restore the bus” idea. Will it catch on? Rumor had it, Kesey wanted the bus to rust and rot on his farm outside of Eugene. Why restore it then when there is a perfectly good replica already out there?

zane March 19, 2013, 14:13:39

It was put in dry storage after Ken died.

American Hero March 19, 2013, 16:19:06

I need $750 to restore my 69 Volvo. I haven’t been charging $$ for videos of my acid parties. Wish I had, woulda had the money now.

Broke March 20, 2013, 09:19:24

Kesey’s kids are broke. Rather donate to a real charity. They should hitch the rusted furthur on a tow truck and travel the country with that. I cannot find anything on Kesey wanting the bus to rot but i won’t doubt it if its true

cosmicbein March 20, 2013, 13:08:35

If i donate $ for this project,can i hop on the bus for the ride,hell i will even drive.Let me know im open for the next 10 years.Dead Forever,Forever Dead

Jim Stavola March 21, 2013, 06:45:35

Kesey used it for years as a chicken coop. No wonder it looks as it does LOL LOL A historical icon, it should be restored. Those International Harvestor buses were built really strong. That it hadn’t completely rusted away after decades in a field is amazing.

Toulouse Lalucy March 21, 2013, 20:00:42

Wow! That bus is beautiful the way it is. Before they “fix” this one up I hope somebody makes a perfect replica of it as is. Which will apparently take 50 years. Better get crackin’!