Published: 2013/03/29

Michelle Shocked Stages Public Protest

Earlier this month a number of venues cancelled Michelle Shocked’s upcoming shows after she allegedy issued a homophobic rant at Yoshi’s in San Francisco. Shocked has stated that she was misinterpreted, with the audio from that night available below. Yesterday she showed up outside Moe’s Alley in Santa Cruz, CA staging a bit of performance art/protest, appearing covered in white, with a piece of tape across her mouth with the words “Silenced By Fear” written upon it, surrounded by a series of signs that lauded her right to free speech.

Comments

Peachhead March 29, 2013, 17:14:53

nuttier than a snickers.

me March 29, 2013, 17:50:43

Nothing worse than some dumb ass who whines about freedom of speech after practicing it… guess what idiot? There are other freedoms too, like not wanting to be associated with a-holes, regardless of type… it’s not all about you, it’s about all of us and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you can take your stupid “Silenced by fear” tape of your trap and sing again… You reap what you sow…

who cares March 29, 2013, 18:00:53

and we give a darn about her, why???

ray vann March 29, 2013, 18:54:48

We care because she is a musician and this website is about music and the people who make music.I have not heard the rant at Yoshi’s. It says there is a link to the audio from that night but i don’t see it. Until i hear it myself. My 1st instinct would be to give her the benefit of the doubt knowing she has espoused fairly liberal political views in the 25 years i have been listening to her. She has been for the people all these years. I have lost touch with her music in the last few years and i have seen her spiel some pretty wild rants before but not directed at anyone necessarily, usually she just puts the microscope on herself and it can be revealing and shocking. I guess it is inappropriate for me to comment considering i haven’t heard the audio. Have the others who commented here heard it?

Cruc1al March 29, 2013, 18:55:39

I heard the audio from the rant in San Fran. She seemed pretty direct with her words

ray vann March 29, 2013, 19:14:54

I still haven’t found the audio but i just read a loose transcript. It does seem horrendous. I do hope she is ok , because It sounds like she is losing her grip.

me March 29, 2013, 19:17:20

Hey Ray, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL-8kSj7TtY She opened her mouth, then tried to backtrack a few days later and now pulls the “Silenced by fear” crap… she’s a weak-minded person hiding behind her interpretation of God… she needs mental help, as well as a better grasp of how freedom of speech works… until that time she can continue to put on protest shows in parking lots… I love the woman who stood up to her!

ray vann March 29, 2013, 19:24:05

listening now. call me a dumbass but throwing a lot of hate at someone who is mentally unstable is a drag. crazy is scary, some unstable people rant some kill children in schools. our mental health/medical system needs some work.

me March 29, 2013, 19:25:10

try again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL-8kSj7TtY

me March 29, 2013, 19:34:16

Ray… no doubt just as the gun issue needs to be addressed, mental illness should be addressed just as publically… meaning it should be a hot button topic just as gun control. Regardless, in a perfect world people wouldn’t be so hateful, as much as pity her… but we’re not perfect, and I can imagine that was pretty offensive to the gay community… especially after they had shelled out money and were likely looking forward to a great evening only to be met by the rants of a head case!

ray vann March 29, 2013, 19:35:10

I heard it and it is very disturbing on every level. The message of hate that she seems to need to spit out is fucked up. She doesn’t sound drunk. If she thinks she can use the stage to spout that crap to her fans she deserves to be shunned. If she needs mental help then she should have access to that. Change of subject: has anyone read Clapton’s racist rant from ’76?

Bubba March 29, 2013, 19:37:46

No one is silencing her but her.

ray vann March 29, 2013, 19:42:44

Wow that was heavy. I listened at soundcloud. Just so you know i do not agree with anything she said that night. For many years i have heard her say things that i do agree with. Something bad is happening to her and she could use some help. It was not a show that the crowd should have had to pay for that’s for sure. Some of her statements seemed premeditated seemed. I guess she has always been very confrontational. She sounds like she is way out there.

me March 29, 2013, 19:50:20

Wow, I had never heard the Clapton BS… pretty pathetic… I just lost respect for him, not that I was ever a crazed fan but that was ugly…

ray vann March 29, 2013, 20:04:09

Milli Vanilli got in trouble for lying about singing and one of them committed suicide.
E.C. says get all the black people out of the UK and it is forgotten.

Dan V March 29, 2013, 23:52:41

She’s been a great musician and songwriter over the years. People care because her words at Yoshi’s seemed very at odds with the person and performer she’s been over the years. In my opinion she is going through some major mental health issues. Her words on stage were intolerant and hateful, but also confused and rambling.

dubs March 30, 2013, 13:04:58

I’m generally offended when any celebrity uses their stage as a pulpit for some cause, it’s the opposite of what music is all about, for me. Regardless of backgrounds, music can unite us in a groove and let us move past our differences for a time, a celebration of all that we have in common. Although for a different reason, Springsteen blowing smoke up Al Franken’s ass offended me, too. There’s enough deviciveness in the real world, I enjoy music as an escape from that. We all have opinions, we don’t all have a forum like a celebrity. That carries with it some responsibilty, it’s impolite to wield it about. Poor taste, regardless of the subject matter. Speaking of poor taste, Shock Therapy, anyone ?

MarZaPhiGar March 30, 2013, 18:35:40

Weird- 23 years ago at SUNY New Paltz we were supposed to have the Chili Peppers come play at Spring Fling, but their performance was cancelled due to protests from ‘womyn’s’ groups on campus, and we were subsequently treated instead to a performance by Ms. Shocked (and SUNY Albany got the Peppers).

Daniel March 31, 2013, 11:50:29