Published: 2013/04/19

A Deluxe Edition Of The Band’s Rock of Ages Is In the Works

Robbie Robertson is working on a deluxe edition of The Band’s Rock Of Ages live album. The album, which was recorded during the group’s 1971 residency at New York City’s Academy of Music, featured special horn arrangements that were put together by New Orleans icon Allen Toussaint and and performed by a five-piece horn section. A statement on Robbie Robertson’s Facebook page from earlier today reads:

At Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Concert in NYC I did the song ‘I Shall Be Released’ which The Band recorded on our first album. I told the audience it was in remembrance of some dear old friends. Most people knew I was referring to Levon (who passed away one year ago today), Rick and Richard.

We are mixing and putting together a deluxe edition of The Band’s album Rock Of Ages — Live At The Academy Of Music. Hearing my Bandmates perform at the top of their game is so moving and powerful.

I miss those days and miss them so much.

Thank God, Garth is still with us and making beautiful music. -Robbie

As Robertson mentions in the statement, today is the first anniversary of The Band drummer Levon Helm’s passing. A feature on Helm from the July 2009 issue of Relix can be read here.

Comments

Bob Moore April 19, 2013, 18:27:45

Trust me Robbie,Levon is just shaking his head in disgust.

cosmicbein April 19, 2013, 20:29:20

Trust me Bob Moore ,‘You are a dueche bag!’

Uh duh April 20, 2013, 09:44:59

Trust me cosmicbein, you obviously don’t know much about The Band. Real easy to be friends when the other guy is dead

Big Daddy Bflo April 20, 2013, 10:11:46

Robbie is the “real” douch bag for screwing over his bandmates.

cosmicbein April 20, 2013, 12:22:38

I know The Band,and i know deuche bag comments by those who think they know.Levon wouldnt need your input towards what u might think bad happened behind close doors,let it go ,The Band did.Robbie Robertson paid his dues ,so shut the fuck up.

Uhclem April 20, 2013, 13:10:27

Rather than who did what to whom, the real question remains unasked and unanswered: what makes the deluxe version of the album different from the one we already know and love?

Shaun April 20, 2013, 20:07:52

Robbie saw Levon not long before his passing and the two of them apparently put the past behind them. I don’t doubt Robbie pulled some dick moves in his time, but none of us there and there are at least two sides to every story. Truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. They put it behind them and mended fences, so the negativity here is really sad to see. Anyhow, I’m glad Robbie and Garth are still with us. I’m curious about this “deluxe” Rock of Ages, but I want to know how this will differ from the (excellent) expanded edition from a few years ago. The added tracks with Dylan joining them at the NYE show made a great album live album even better. Will this be worth it or not? Details please!

Garth Hudson April 22, 2013, 20:14:37

Robbie got Bob’s permission to add two rehearsals. Plus there will be a DVD.