Published: 2013/04/21

Umphrey’s McGee Cover Daft Punk’s New Single

Umphrey’s McGee debuted a cover of Daft Punk’s new single “Get Lucky.” The group busted into Daft Punk’s new single—which has only been out for four days—two songs into their first set at Austin, TX’s Stubb’s BBQ. “Get Lucky” is slated to appear as the eighth song on Daft Punk’s new album Random Access Memories, which will be released on May 17.

Last night was the third year in a row Umphrey’s McGee have celebrated 4/20 at Stubb’s. The group has covered a few other Daft Punk songs over the years, including “Voyager” and a mash-up of the electronica group’s “Robot Rock” and their own “The Triple Wide.” Umphrey’s McGee will host their UMBowl in Chicago this Friday. For more on Umphrey’s McGee, please read our recent site interview.

Comments

umphreys_is_lame April 21, 2013, 21:39:13

this is terrible. way to butcher an awesome song.

D$ April 22, 2013, 10:26:07

The singing, OUCH! Plus I love how all the dudes in the crowd just stand around!

Jake April 22, 2013, 12:37:59

^^ those guys have obviously not seen umph live before, that or they hate on them for the soul reason that they covered daft punk… \mm/

UMPHallDAY April 22, 2013, 12:52:28

Umphrey’s = Best band alive. No argument. Haters hate. Because you guys are in wayy better bands that everyone loves and sells out shows like nothing, right?
Also this reminded me a lot of Jimi doing Sgt. Pepper’s just days after it came out.

Chadbrochill71 April 22, 2013, 12:55:44

Or maybe he actually listened to the song and came to the conclusion it just isn’t that good. You can fluff UM as much as you want but if you think they did that song justice you are an idiot. Way to step up and cover a song you have business playing UM. Speaking only about this cover and this cover only, DO NOT READ UM AS A WHOLE, it’s not very good.

nic April 22, 2013, 13:07:00

“The drummers singin”. Haha. UM is the shit, and while Kris’s vocals may not have auto tune and be electronic (dp style), he is still a man among boys in the world of drummers. If you saw them, you wouldn’t care how bad they “butcher” a cover. You’d just beg them not to stop playing.

still April 22, 2013, 13:29:59

I’ve seen Umphrey’s 8 times. I know how intense their live shows are and they are phenomenal musicians. But still, most covers they do are lame, and they do a pretty bad job of covering vocals (who cares). but why would i want to hear them do 3-5 covers instead of play their own songs at their own shows? I dont get umphrey’s trying to cover every fucking song in the whole world its dumb.

mike April 22, 2013, 16:25:17

I think it’s cool as hell them doing a cover of a song that was just released the day before. Can’t wait to hear the UMlive version. I’m sure it will sound much better than this video. Keep it in the rotation.

jUMbo April 24, 2013, 12:58:42

Umphreys is the shit. If you don’t like the music then don’t listen.

Bobby T June 3, 2013, 16:37:16

These vocals are awful.

GLGTimes June 16, 2013, 13:35:08

I thought this was a fun and adventurous cover even if it was a bit raw. Remember the song was just released, they didn’t have a long time to practice it. Meyers can sing, check out his vocals when he’s not singing AND playing drums. Hating on the vocals is funny to me because Pharrell really can’t sing without studio help. Look up a live version of this with Pharrell. The hook is prerecorded. I’ve seen UM well over 50 times, I dig the random cover. I like the surprise in a set but maybe it’s just me.