Published: 2013/06/07

Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band Cover Ryan Adams, Fleetwood Mac, Nicki Bluhm and The Band

Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band wrapped up their three-night run at New York City’s Sullivan Hall last night. The show got started with “Ramble On Rose” and “Mississippi Half Step” before going into Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers’ “Squeaky Wheel” and The Band’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece.” The set also included a take on the American Jubilee songs “Colonel” and “California Skies.” (American Jubilee’s Brian Lesh, Ross James, Scott Padden and Alex Koford all play in the Terrapin Family Band).

After finishing up the set, the group came back out for a crowd-pleasing encore that consisted of renditions of Ryan Adams’ “Let It Ride” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Second Hand News,” with “Samson & Delilah” closing it out.

Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band will perform on a boat cruise around Manhattan this evening before they finish their New York run with a gig at Levon Helm’s Woodstock, NY studio tomorrow night.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores

Thursday, June 6, 2013, Phil Lesh and The Terrapin Family Band, Sullivan Hall, New York, NY

Ramble on Rose, Mississippi Half step, Squeaky Wheel, Masterpiece, Fennario, The Colonel, U.S. Blues, Standing on the Moon, California Skies, Bird Song, St, Stephen, Not Fade Away, I Know You Rider

E:
Let It Ride, Second Hand News, Samson & Delilah

Comments

spikenyc June 7, 2013, 14:01:56

YOWZA! St. Stephen.
Pretty ripping at the end there!

Andy June 7, 2013, 14:21:44

Masterpiece is a Dylan penned song, and was recorded first by The Band. Fwiw. Looks like a hot set, thanks Phil for keeping on…and thanks Brian, Grahame and American Jubilee for such good things to look forward to in decades to come.

Me June 7, 2013, 14:21:56

The Band’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece”?!?!? I’m pretty sure you mean Bob Dylan, right?

Andy June 7, 2013, 14:22:37

also glad to see California Skies being tackled in the set – a GREAT song to be sure.

Doodle June 7, 2013, 14:31:00

And Squeaky Wheel is a Tim Bluhm song that if I’m not mistaken began being performed first with the Skinny Singers but subsequently migrated into the repertoire of Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers.

bobby's oxycotton June 7, 2013, 17:11:45

PHILS SONS SHOULD BE PLAYING OPEN MIKES NOT SULLIVAN HALL

Tom June 7, 2013, 22:27:19

Agreed: “PHILS SONS SHOULD BE PLAYING OPEN MIKES NOT SULLIVAN HALL”

Tom June 7, 2013, 22:28:32

Re: Phil’s sons … nep·o·tism Noun The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, esp. by giving them jobs.

totstonesfix June 8, 2013, 14:20:50

PHILS SONS SHOULD BE PLAYING OPEN MIKES NOT SULLIVAN HALL” Seems unnecessarily harsh to me. I’m hearing good things. There are many great artists who have had their family back them on stage. Whatever your opinion of their chops, a staement like that just makes you an asshole. Enjoy your mean-spirited life. Glad you’re not my father.

Eli Friedman June 8, 2013, 18:27:00

I caught the show on the Yacht Friday night, and the Lesh sons have plenty of talent, chops and personality in their own rights. Both boys play with a proficiency you rarely see in professional musicians many years their senior. They are oozing with that Lesh family talent. That’s what the Terrapin Family Band thing is all about. Ross and Alex are awesome too. And Jon Graboff was along for the ride too on steel and added much string sweetness.

Eli Friedman June 8, 2013, 18:28:31

PhilBob June 9, 2013, 03:40:00

When I Paint My Masterpiece is a “Band” song as they recorded it first. You wouldn’t say Mississippi Half Step by Robert Hunter because he wrote it?

ol' timer June 9, 2013, 06:33:14

Wow! One whole set…I wonder how much tickets cost? Phil “my pockets” Lesh is teaching his sons the meaning of making a buck. “Remember boys, always open the door for the lady unless the lady is penniless”.

Haters suck June 9, 2013, 19:16:56

Was a great show, great energy and joy. And my ticket was $30 quite a deal for some love

soul stu June 11, 2013, 00:36:42

I think its cool that phil is playing small venues like sullivan hall with his sons for $30. I just don’t need to see the lesh kids on big stages, like festivals and larger theatres. I think this east coast tour was a good mix of both, small shows at cool venues with Terrapin family band, then a fat festy set with big dogs like Sco and warren.

Deren Neu June 12, 2013, 00:58:02

The Lesh boys are rad. Period.

bobby's oxycotton June 17, 2013, 15:26:13

Tom gets it. totstonesfix you need to turn ur hearing aid up I saw the (((LESH BOYS ))) at T-Pin Crossroads I stand behind my open mike statement I hear the new band is going to be called Phil Lesh and the CASH GRABS

Jennifer Clanton June 17, 2013, 17:27:07

Ummm, the name of the band is ‘The Terrapin FAMILY band’ right??? Just sayin’....