Published: 2013/07/12

Furthur Kick Off Summer Tour in Brooklyn, Joe Russo Sits in with Band of Changes

Furthur kicked off their summer tour at Brooklyn, NY’s Barclays Center last night. It was the Grateful Dead offshoot’s first appearance at the new arena. The group opened their first set with “Feel like a Stranger” and focused on classics from the Grateful Dead songbook for most of the evening. Furthur’s second set featured an almost complete segue of music, including a take on the Dead-adopted Jerry Garcia Band song “Reuben And Cherise” in the middle of “Here Comes Sunshine” and “Greatest Story Ever Told.”

For their encore, Furthur celebrated The Rolling Stones’ 51st anniversary with a cover of their “We Love You” that moved back into “Let it Grow.” Phish bassist Mike Gordon, who was in the area on a night off from his own tour, attended the show but did not sit in. After the concert, Furthur drummer and Brooklyn resident Joe Russo made his way over to the nearby Rock Shop to sit in with his friends Band of Changes.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section

Thursday, July 11, Barclays Center Brooklyn, NY

Set I: Feel like a Stranger, Doin’ That Rag, Hell in a Bucket, Cold, Rain and Snow, Friend of the Devil, Jack Straw

Set II: Here Comes Sunshine > Reuben And Cherise > Greatest Story Ever Told, Uncle John’s Band > The Wheel > Unbroken Chain > Let It Grow

E: We Love You > Let it Grow refrain

Comments

Ben July 12, 2013, 13:04:04

Some of these Youtube vids remind of the classic recorded underwater Dead bootleg tapes.

Brad July 12, 2013, 15:24:01

I had the pleasure of being there last night. Great show. Loved Here Comes Sunshine, the Wheel and Unbroken Chain.

PM July 12, 2013, 16:39:03

ENOUGH of these clowns already, who pays $80 or whatever to see a cover band?

jeff July 12, 2013, 16:57:45

How do ya figure? They only played one cover tune! Two if you count Rueben the Garcia band staple.

Pacheco July 12, 2013, 17:09:15

Those background singers ruin it every time…terrible stage presence, and after all this time they have to use binders with the lyrics, real pros. There are enough singers in this band already. They need to GO!

Andy July 12, 2013, 17:13:13

Clowns year right – these guys stood/played next to Jerry decade after decade – they are the Dead..what Phil & Bob do at their ages is simply amazing! Can’t wait to see them in Cooperstown & Rochester.

Thankful July 12, 2013, 17:43:37

I am thankful that this site decided not to mention the I talentless Lesh children. Seems like the site can’t mention Phil without his kids. I thank you for the restraint.

MattN July 12, 2013, 17:45:05

I love this. When this Furthur thing first started happening I was at a show in Worcester. There was a guy behind me being a “Dead Snob”, (yes they exist) and when I said I would love to hear “ Reuben And Cherise” he rolled his eyes and chuckled. He said yeah good luck you’ll be waiting a long time if you want to hear that, —“they’ll never do that song with this line up”—. Time is up and I hope they play it in Boston on the 18th and that guy is behind me again so I can give him the finger in his face.

Hampton73 July 12, 2013, 23:57:00

Would have liked to be there.
Seems like they could give us better audio on the clip.

timmy July 13, 2013, 14:19:24

fact: you cannot be a cover band, when you play your own songs. Hate on them all you want, but calling them a cover band is just factually not true. DSO is a cover band. Furthur is not.

WookerT July 14, 2013, 16:16:53

Chementi, Russo and Lesh arent clowns. They all just fell into a extra paid part time clowning gig. Shit, they probly make more than the kids at gigs! What do you do for a living? Im a GG Allin impersonator. I do weddings, bat mitzvahs, corporate parties ect. My friends dog can also come along for an extra 25$ and do lassie. The vocal section also sound good in Furthur. When do we get a studio album? ok. ill stop. We know theres no money in making records any more. Why bother right?

ultimatelywhogivesafuck July 14, 2013, 18:09:07

Who the cap fit..let them wear it. Don’t give a flyin rats ass what ANYONE thinks..i got my own life to live and I aint gonna copy YOU

Dave July 16, 2013, 11:37:10

This was my second Reuben. John really does it justice. Goosebumps through the whole song.

TASS July 17, 2013, 10:50:32

It seems like some of you still don’t get it, I appreciate the fact that Phil & Bobby have put together a band that still brings a smile to MY face, see you boy’s in Boston on the 18th!!

Jack Zinn July 20, 2013, 19:25:41

Anyone who doesn’t get Furthur just doesn’t get “it”. Phil,Bob and friends including Phil’s sons rock the house. Go away lame critics.

Das Singley July 21, 2013, 21:52:05

I’m so glad they’re playing in any capacity , what to speak of such a great one . I truly never cared for any other band, and always gave them all the room they needed with no expectations and it won’t start now . These guys blow everybody off the map, then and now , I told this guy the other day that Jerry could play what Hendrix did in his sleep , backwards, We had/have the shit folks ! Enjoy every second.

Jack Masszinnhole (WookerT) July 23, 2013, 16:43:04

Hey Jack I got a quick lesson on Amendments 1 and 4 for you. 1 says we can be critics if we want to. 4 says you don’t have to show me your picture on facebook. I wont trouble you about other amendments because I live out west and you are a schoolboy back east and its unlikely that you’d ever have a chance to try to tell me what to do to my face. Good for you buddy!

Bob July 27, 2013, 11:49:09

Extremely weak show. Furthur is a paycheck for Phil, and nothing more. The Phil and Friends show at Portchester was leaps and bounds ahead of this train wreck. Draw your own conclusions.