Published: 2013/07/14

Phish Bust Out "Destiny Unbound," Explore Newer Material at Merriweather

Phish returned to the Merriweather Post Pavilion last night for the first show of a two night run at the venue. The gig got going with an uneventful “Kill Devil Falls” opener before the band busted out the first “Destiny Unbound” since Superball IX. That tune preceded a trio of tour debuts, with a “Taste” followed by the sixth-ever performance of “Halfway to the Moon” and then “Twenty Years Later.” The set wrapped up with the second-ever performance of the new Mike Gordon song “Yarmouth Road” and a solid take on “Split Open and Melt” that wasn’t quite as jaw-dropping as the SPAC version from last weekend.

A fairly extensive “Down With Disease” started off the second set before moving nicely into “Free.” A crowd pleasing “Bouncing Around the Room” came next before “Birds of a Feather.” That tune found its way into a few more songs, with teases showing up in the following “Harry Hood,” which also included riffs from “Divided Sky” and a “Dog Log” tease by Gordon. The set also saw the band’s second-ever take on the Trey Anastasio Band track “Architect” before things finally wrapped up with a “Mikes Groove” that sandwiched “Simple.” A “Waste” encore brought the energy levels down a bit before Phish came roaring back with a rocking “Good Times, Bad Times” to close the show.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Phish.net

Saturday, July 13, 2013, Phish, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

Set 1: Kill Devil Falls, Destiny Unbound, Taste, Halfway to the Moon, Twenty Years Later, Maze,Yarmouth Road, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Down with Disease > Free, Bouncing Around the Room, Birds of a Feather, Harry Hood1,Architect, Mike’s Song2 > Simple > Weekapaug Groove

Encore: Waste > Good Times Bad Times

[1] BOAF and Divided Sky teases by Trey; Dog Log tease by Mike.
[2] BOAF tease.

Comments

Carl Vaggino July 14, 2013, 17:34:11

What? An opening encore ballad brought the energy down? How dare they play songs people on speed cannot appreciate! I got more and better information from just reading the setlist. Whoever wrote this was on couch tour. This is pathetic and why no one comes on this website but me.

Were you there when it mattered? July 14, 2013, 19:10:53

Headline should read: Vermont quartet continues tribute tour in memory of 90’s supergroup Phish.

burning_beard July 14, 2013, 19:36:49

/\ couldn’t have said it better myself.

kye July 14, 2013, 21:31:13

4 shows in and you idiots are writing them off.last year was the best tour in a decade but they come out of the gates a li slow now the suck?? U guys a pathetic

kye July 14, 2013, 21:34:51

seriously you guys are trolls if you dont like it stay home its people like you that ruin it for people like me. has 2013 been slow yup but i bet by the south they are rocking oh wait set one of mpp 2 rocked get over yourselves TROLLS

I have ears, you know July 15, 2013, 01:20:42

Best quote so far: “has 2013 been slow [?] yup…” 2012 was slow, too, you know. So was 2011. And 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, and 364 days of 2000. Everyone needs to move on. TAB is great. Meter Men, too. Jerry did moved on after the 70’s (JGB, Grisman, etc.), Clapton has moved on a thousand times, Dylan, too. Jimi moved on to Band of Gypsies after only three years. Everyone does it. Face it, Phish is a cover band now. Anyone who saw a show in the 90’s knows it. There’s a difference between inventing something and redoing it.

JT July 15, 2013, 08:42:51

Why do people who haven’t liked the band since before 2000 — almost 15 years — still take the time to come here and rain on other people’s parade? My first show was in 1990. I had a great time last night at MPP. If you don’t like what they’re doing now, nobody’s requiring you to be there, and taking the time to complian about everything they’ve done for 15 years means that you’re the nostalgia act, not Phish.

KB July 15, 2013, 09:22:32

JT, the answer to your question of why do the trolls come here and rain on other’s parade’s is because they want to be experts on everything and be cooler than the next person because they are negative towards phish or politics or whatever conversations that comes up. This is a text book case of douchebaggery.

JT July 15, 2013, 10:13:58

@KB, well, it’s certainly a strange way to spend your time: criticizing the same thing for 15 years. I mean, I don’t really care for The Dave Matthews band any more. I liked them a long time ago. But I haven’t really wasted a minute thinking about that fact since… well.. I don’t care any more. So it’s very strange that someone who actually doesn’t like Phish any more, and hasn’t for going on two decades, to spend even an ounce of energy trying to prove to, I guess, whoever will listen, that they don’t like Phish any more. Anyway, to the people who don’t like Phish any more: it’s OK. I believe you. But you won’t convince me not to like them any more, because it’s not something that can be proven. I’ve been seeing them just as long as you, and I still like them. This was the 10th time I’ve seen Phish at the Merriweather Post Pavilion and it was every bit as fun as the other 9 times. I could rank them if you want, I liked some of the performances better than others, but what’s the point? I’ll be there next time they come too.

DadlovesPhish July 15, 2013, 11:23:57

As someone who can’t go to as many shows as I used to, here’s what cracks me up criticizing phish whenever theres an article, there’s a protocol to it. Here’s how it goes: a) State your Phish resume, including how many shows you’ve seen and how far back you saw Phish so your opinion is more valid.
b) State your biggest criticism and compare it to the years that Phish stood out for you (early 90s seems to be popular).
c) Round if off with your Part A explains why your expectations are not met due to Part B. Look, this is not directed at anyone specifically. I think, being unable to go to shows so often nowadays due to life’s constraints, I just try not to bring in some huge measuring stick that the band may or may not live up to when I can get to a show. I just enjoy the show. Trust me, if it’s your best memory, than don’t use it as a barometer because you’ll be disappointed every time.

raven1998 July 15, 2013, 12:57:10

its a concert.

KC July 15, 2013, 16:46:18

Phuck phish im goin on tour with the beibs!!

Chrouton July 15, 2013, 22:13:37

I’ve been to many shows, including many 3.0…. This show was TIGHT! I was incredibly happy with song selections and most importantly, the singing was on point. Free usually makes me cringe when they attempt to harmonize but they were spot on… bouncing was pretty much studio quality and the funkyness/keys, bass, drum interplay in W. Groove was jaw dripping. I understand they arent the band they were in the 90’s but i’m not the person I was in the nineties so that doesn’t matter. Keep it up guys! Lovin the doo Gordon.

Charlie Murphy July 16, 2013, 05:50:36

I have five words for WYTWIM?: THANK YOU, my seniments EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

me July 16, 2013, 10:43:13

Would you losers who shoot down everything that Phish is doing PLEASE stop buying tickets? I’d much rather not have to deal with you losers making it tougher for me to get a seat under the shell. Saturday’s MPP show was the best overall show of the tour… tight from the beginning to end. I’ve seen the 3 SPAC, JB and both MPP and while there was a few songs with higher lifting jams at SPAC, none of those shows were from start to end as good as what MPP 1 was, IMO... Anyone who is comparing 2013 to some 90s show is either too young to understand why that is, or too stupid… If the band you love is not living up to their best show ever, or even best tour ever, then don’t go…

Rodney King from the grave July 16, 2013, 12:13:49

Can’t we all just get along?? I need me sum crack!