Published: 2013/07/16

Stevie Wonder to Boycott Florida, Other States with "Stand Your Ground" Laws

Stevie Wonder has announced that he will no longer perform in states with Stand Your Ground laws. Wonder made the announcement on Sunday in response to a Florida jury’s acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, saying, “I decided that, until the Stand Your Ground law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again…as a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world.”

While Zimmerman’s legal team never actually invoked Stand Your Ground, the law allows those who reasonably perceive themselves to be in danger of death or great bodily harm to use deadly force to defend themselves, even if it is possible for them to retreat. Right now, there are 22 states that have some form of a Stand Your Ground law.

This is not Wonder’s first foray into political activism. The legendary singer’s music was banned from South African state radio in 1985 after he dedicated an Academy Award to Nelson Mandela, who was jailed by the country’s apartheid regime at the time.

Comments

Luke July 16, 2013, 13:22:18

Way to Stevie, bravo

DC July 16, 2013, 13:43:21

Luke…. That being said until you find yourself or your family in a dangerous situation. I surely hope not.

DC July 16, 2013, 13:43:22

phil phan July 16, 2013, 13:49:25

This makes no logical sense. A) Laws like this exist as an attempt to protect potential victims from bodily harm. B) Selective protesting is hypocritical. By this logic California should have been boycotted after the OJ trial and Tennessee should have been boycotted after the West Memphis Three trial. C) A jury found a defendant not guilty because they were privy to information that the general public wasn’t aware of. Its ignorant to play arm chair lawyer from multiple states away and believe that you have all of the facts about a very sensitive case. That being said it is unfair and silly to punish fans of your music in multiple states because you disagree with the verdict of one trial in one state just because they share a similar law.

me July 16, 2013, 14:05:11

Anyone who doesn’t understand the point that Wonder is trying to make either is missing the important piece of the puzzle that says you can shoot even if you have the ability to get away, or you really don’t care about life all that much… Zimmerman found his way into a bad situation because he choose to create a confrontation he was asked not to create… we don’t need vigilantism even when it seems like a good idea… for instance, Zimmerman has been acquitted and as much as I think that was a terrible outcome, he should now be left alone but thanks to the law in Florida it will only take aggravating him until he makes a threat, then someone can legally gun him down… law is ridiculous… shoot to kill only if there is no other option, not just because you feel threatened… I for one am glad that Stevie has chosen to stay away from any location where if someone felt he was a threat, they shoot him… or anyone…

phil phan July 16, 2013, 14:13:25

me,
we are not talking about the Zimmerman case. We are talking about Stevie Wonder and his decision to boycott certain states.

A West July 16, 2013, 14:21:23

Great post phil phan…

ROIO July 16, 2013, 14:42:40

“me” just likes to hear himself talk, is all..

Tom July 16, 2013, 14:55:47

I don’t see Stevie playing Detroit or Chicago where black people are killing black people daily. Playing the race card is cowardice.

Rich July 16, 2013, 15:25:42

Who cares anyway…Stevie hasn’t been relevant in the music industry since the 1980’s. Here is a list of all the states he wont be playing in. If he wants to lose more money and fan base by taking a stand for a little thug…so be it. Alabama Arizona Georgia Idaho Illinois Indiana Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Mississippi Montana Nevada North Carolina Oklahoma Oregon South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Washington West Virginia

Steve b July 16, 2013, 15:29:24

By boycotting those states with this ridiculous law, he is taking thousands if not millions if dollars from those states.

Steve b July 16, 2013, 15:30:00

Rich July 16, 2013, 15:44:24

If he still was a big name…maybe. But the truth is, nobody cares about a 1980’s has-been. Like I said before, he is irrelevant in today’s music world. I really don’t think people, the little that still remember him or still care, would riot in the streets if he didn’t play in their state.

Judd July 16, 2013, 15:49:44

Way to go Stevie! Any haters can go ban all the non stand your ground states all you want. we’ll enjoy our freedom, ou enjoy your guns.

Tom July 16, 2013, 17:12:46

The Stand Your Ground law was never part of the Zimmerman case or trial, nor was race.
The only racial slur came from Martin. The whole SYG and race controversy came from the media and the professional race-baiters like Jackson, Sharpton, The NAACP and The Black Panthers all of which are hate groups. Zimmerman was attacked and defended himself, end of story.

me July 16, 2013, 17:41:43

@phil phan… Like it or not, it ties back to the Zimmerman case… ignorance is not bliss and ROIO... um, at least my comment has some validity to the topic… apparently you just like to see yourself comment, yet lack any ability to add to the topic… don’t choke on the sand buddy… @ Tom… you are correct, even I don’t believe it was about race, simply about a wea- minded individual who wanted to be a hero… the point was about what Stevie Wonder is now doing and that ties into the Zimmerman trial… say all you want, but a kid is dead because some jackass couldn’t stop his hot pursuit even when asked to back off… if you are comfortable with that outcome, I hope you never find yourself involved with the other side of that gun. Zimmerman was attacked because he created a situation that caused him to be attacked… even Stevie Wonder can see that… THAT is the end of the story…

ROIO July 16, 2013, 19:17:39

^^^ point proven. Thanks “me!”

Brian O'Connell July 16, 2013, 20:35:17

Wow, I’m really impressed by the depth of ignorance and disconnect being displayed on this board. The jam band scene was never about political or social awakening…reading some of these posts only further solidifies my notion that the jamband scene is full of people who just want to run away from life and be ignorant. Right on Stevie for speaking out about this. And a double right on for NOT playing the Israeli Defense Forces benefit!

Brian O'Connell July 16, 2013, 20:35:18

aaron July 16, 2013, 20:44:51

the facts of the article are wrong. there are 24 states with full stand your ground laws and another 7 with modified laws, making it 31 states (not 22) that he’s no longer playing in.

carole July 16, 2013, 21:16:51

We live in a wicked word! Blessed are the meek, they shall inherit the earth.
Matthew 5:5

lee martell July 16, 2013, 22:24:20

Stevie has been a blind #$hore of the left for years and years. Everybody knows he’s a puppet of the race baiting socialists, so what else is new. I ain’t losing a wink of sleep tonight in reference to Stevie “Wonder”, who’s look and outlook is stuck in 1978.

me July 16, 2013, 23:14:22

@ROIO... ditto… but I guess that is too old a comment for you to understand… or be able to comment about… huh, lil’ dummy? Don’t worry, life will teach you a few lessons ;^)

if im his manager July 17, 2013, 00:25:50

You really don’t have to tell Stevie what state you book for him. Simply because his lack of intellectual capacity inhibits his ability to see, that the verdict given the horrible lawyers judge witnesses and charges led exactly to what this country is founded on. A man could not be proven a murderer beyond a reasonable doubt. The jury was right. Anger should be with the DA, county and horrible prosecution. The court was right. Zimmerman sucks but he wasnt guilty beyond reasonable doubt. MS. Chantel wasnt helpful.

Mike July 17, 2013, 08:53:53

Way to go Stevie. These laws are are intended for the paranoid, and self-defense laws in general need to be rewritten.

Not smart Stevie July 18, 2013, 03:45:32

Not a smart business decision Stevie. If you ignore those states it rules out most of the south and the west for booking. And i know you have a lot of friends down here in the south. Hope u can stay busy in California and New York. Hope you have a huge fan base in the Midwest and northeast. But I won’t be flying from SC to see you perform for sure and it’s a shame you won’t be coming here. And btw I’d hoped for a different verdict myself but I agree with the jury. Based on the evidence it looked like self defense and the prosecution didn’t do a better job of proving it wasn’t. Period. The prosecution left too much room for doubt. Period. And I don’t agree with some SYG laws but the jury did what they had to do. For a really crazy case look up the one in SC where a defendant is trying to claim SYG for murdering a homeowner after the defendant broke into his house to rob him and he drew his gun. Now that’s messed up.

Steve July 20, 2013, 20:42:00

Boy, you read these crazy-ass comments you post and Americans still stand back and wonder why the world looks at the USA and says “WTF!!!”.