Published: 2013/08/01

Phish Gives Lake Tahoe a "Tweezer" for the Ages

Phish returned to Harvey’s Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena last night for the second show of their two night run. The laid-back first set featured a few tour debuts and some great jams but the night was all about the “Tweezer,” which—at almost 36 minutes—might go down as the highlight of the tour.

The first set kicked off with the second show-opening “Chalkdust Torture” of the tour. Although a stock version, it was nice to see the tune in it’s rightful slot. Next came back-to-back tour debuts, as the band dusted off “Camel Walk” and then “Sparkle.” Trey teased “Golden Age” during another quality “It’s Ice” before the band dug deep for another tour debut, “Brian and Robert,” which hadn’t been played in 83 shows. A jazzy “Yarmouth Road” was followed by “Kill Devil Falls” before Page McConnell was given some time to shine on “Lawn Boy.” The set was rounded out by “Ocelot” and an exciting, totally on-point “Stash” that hinted at the monstrosity to come.

The second set started off as strong as any set ever could, with an instant classic “Tweezer” that fans will be talking about for some time to come. The elongated jam seamlessly transitioned between several ideas, with toned down segments building into powerful grooves, which propelled the crowd into a frenzy. Occasional breaks in the jam facilitated some audience participation, as fans shouted “wooo” during the intermittent pauses. After this “Tweezer” for the ages finally came to a close, the crowd was treated to yet another gem, as the band busted out the too-rare Gamehendge favorite “Tela” for the first time in 43 shows. The tune moved into “Twist” before transitioning into the new TAB-turned-Phish ballad “Architect.” “Bouncing Around the Room” jammed into “Run Like an Antelope,” which saw the crowd “woos” return before the band left the stage. An encore “Julius” segued into a “Tweezer Reprise” that, while unremarkable, reminded everyone of the highpoint that had come earlier, though it’s unlikely anyone had forgotten.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist via Phish.net

Wednesday, July 31, 2013, Phish, Harvey’s Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena, Stateline, NV

Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Camel Walk, Sparkle, Back on the Train, It’s Ice1, Brian and Robert, Yarmouth Road, Kill Devil Falls, Lawn Boy, Ocelot, Stash

Set 2: Tweezer2, Tela > Twist > Architect, Bouncing Around the Room > Run Like an Antelope3

Encore: Julius > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Golden Age tease.
[2] Included call and response “Wooo” with the crowd
[3] More “Wooo” from the crowd

Comments

Joe August 1, 2013, 18:54:37

Uncle Ebenezer would be proud with that jam!

Dawitt August 1, 2013, 19:07:43

I have not seen Phish since 2003, which was weak compared to the telepathy these guys are involved with right now. I was expecting. A good show, but was rewarded with a stunning show that picked up steam around its ice and never turned back. Oh shit was said several times. I was at the Crest Theater show in 93 and some ripping shoreline shows, and thought those glory days were over, but last night was so kick ass that it shocked me, I was stunned at the ebb and flow, the launching into crazy energy and then fall into a liquid ambient puddle, then go sideways again, just collectively feeding the flow with psycic abilities…glad I made it back.

larryP August 1, 2013, 16:21:21

Spellcheck wouldnt catch the word “bow” as it’s an actual word. That said I have yet to hear a note of last night and look forward to checking it out tonight :)

Lust for Life August 1, 2013, 14:51:15

Oh the transparency of the reviewer is oft entertaining if not mildly amusing. Reminds me of a comment I overheard following arguably one of the most legendary Phish shows of all time. Walking out of the “mothership” post 11/22/97, I heard some charming young fellow proclaim, “Yeah, but they encored with Bouncin!” Equivalent too, “yeah, the sex with my dream girl was great, but she came all over the sheets!” Sorry to be so graphic, but if you had been at that show you would whole-heartedly agree with my analogy. Point is, should you attend a legendary show, which is what I hear last night was, don’t stare to long into the sun lest you get blinded and can’t appreciate the sunset.

Ken Magnett August 1, 2013, 15:39:28

OH, PPPPPP, All I have to say is : HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO: Jerry Garcia & R.I.P.

p August 1, 2013, 11:01:47

what the fuck is lawn bow? use spell check is free!!!

TahoeTweez August 1, 2013, 11:11:04

Right, cause spell check would totally realize it’s a phish song and change bow to boy. P, your a clown

architect August 1, 2013, 11:15:39

p your pants

Hunter Gimble August 1, 2013, 11:20:48

Sickest jam ever!!! I was there!!!

cosmictahoe August 1, 2013, 11:28:23

Phish drooles,no spell check needed here,they drool.

ASnoodDood August 1, 2013, 11:45:15

Chalkdust opened Jones Beach.

matt1011 August 1, 2013, 11:54:24

They opened Jones Beach with Chalkdust Torture. Just an FYI.

jason August 1, 2013, 12:15:36

My only question is are we here to talk shit about someone for not using spell check or how his review of the show was. I was not at the show but have listened to it and just amazing. I will never say best ever and all that jazz but every night is magical to every person for different reasons. Instead of bashing people love and respect different points of view…..

Sally August 1, 2013, 12:28:47

Well said, Jason! People complain all the time, and always have negative things to say. I go to shows all of the time, and always have a great time, no matter what song they play, how long they play it, how short they play it, or what order they play it in. Here’s a tip: if you don’t like a song, use that time to go to the bathroom or get something to drink. ;)

Average 3.0 PHAN August 3, 2013, 03:05:05

let’s just complain cause its not like the 90’s shows we were to young to be at. I blame my parents for not birthing me sooner.

Blotter August 3, 2013, 11:32:56

If that’s not a TMWSIY tease at around 20:00 then I’m a lizard.

esqueejy August 3, 2013, 11:46:29

bring a diaper

Noodles August 4, 2013, 10:32:31

Awesome return to the 90’s for all the new Phans who had parents that created them in the lot back in 92! Seriously. Joking. Seriously. Joking. But really… You get to enjoy the woollies and I will enjoy my family! We all win. PS . The balder the get the better time they have- cheers to hair dye .)