Published: 2013/08/19

Lockn’ (Formerly Interlocken Music Festival) Adds Grace Potter, Live Soundtrack Cinema

The promoters of the Interlocken Music Festival have made some major announcements, the most significant of which is that the name of the event itself has changed. The festival, which will take place on September 5-8 at the Oak Ridge Farm in Arrington, VA is now known as Lockn’. Festival co-founder (and Relix publisher) Peter Shapiro explains that a few considerations went into the decision. “The logo has started to take on a life of its own, and the feedback we’ve received is that people really appreciate how the music and all elements of the festival are locked into one another. Given the spirit of an event where we’re encouraging musicians to take chances, we wanted to make the change now. We also wanted to reflect the fact that Lockn’ is such a unique festival that it deserves its own unique name. Having said that we’ve also made some interesting discoveries about the origins of the word.”

As for the music at Lockn’, the latest addition to the roster of performers is Grace Potter, who will appear on Thursday. Over the years Potter has performed with many of the Lockn’ artists, including Gov’t Mule (and she co-hosted the 2008 Jammys with Warren Haynes), so that all manner of collaborations could be in the cards.

Another novel element of Lockn’ will be the Live Soundtrack Cinema. Rather than screening movies that will compete with the live music, the festival’s cinema tent will present specially-selected silent films that will complement the performances. The Live Soundtrack Cinema will present an audio feed from the stage as the performers provide the soundtracks to various features, shorts and animation. The Live Soundtrack Cinema will be programmed by Relix executive editor and Jambands.com founder Dean Budnick, who wrote his Harvard doctoral dissertation on silent film. After the music concludes, the cinema tent will offer some special programming, with the details likely not announced until the festival itself.

General admission tickets to the event, which also features Neil Young & Crazy Horse, The String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, The Black Crowes, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Punch Brothers and Col. Bruce Hampton and Friends are now on sale, while a few VIP options available.

Comments

Jeremy August 19, 2013, 15:26:25

Personally… I think it would have been a much better choice to change the name of the festival for next year…. seems really weird to just straight up change it like that.

Mark4949 August 19, 2013, 16:19:55

No Neil young either

Heather August 19, 2013, 16:21:49

Why no mention of Furthur ??? The HEADLINERS ?????

cosmic August 19, 2013, 16:30:05

Neil Young canceled his tour, including “lockn”

C-lent August 19, 2013, 16:36:25

Sounds like some trademark/copyright issues they are trying to cover up. why lie and act like it was some unified movement to change the name. Y’all probably just got threatened by the city of Interlocken or Interlocken Fest (based in CO). The new name is terrible. This really puts a damper on things. And why are they avoiding announcing Neil Young’s cancellation? Just go ahead and say it, everyone knows it already.. name change, no neil young and grace potter..this is rough..come on INTERLOCKEN we can do better!

Dave August 19, 2013, 16:47:31

Roll with it LockHead, you can make it the best. “Let’s Roll” as Neil said, Just make sure it does not rain, some of the so called Jam Fans may melt. I vote Allman Bros. I also vote to name the Fest ShitHead I will still enjoy ever day of it.

Sam king August 19, 2013, 17:01:42

I bought my tix a long time ago. The camping fiasco, lies, changing the name (and lying some more) no Neil young all add up to a shitshow. I just hope the freakin porta-potty situation is kosher. They are NOT off to a good start. Glad to see Grace again but really, i wouldnt be suprised if Furthur wasnt playing either. Get it together people. I have SERIOUSLY considered not going but Bobby and Phil for 3 nights? I can put up with a load of shit for that. Neil should play anyway, he said he would, now he wont. Who will headline sat? Come on Trey, phil the gap! The promoters had better get their ducks in a row. $250 for forest camping? That must be some forest. Quit trying to trick us, thos is not our first rodeo!

crunch dog August 19, 2013, 17:08:30

bro the rock got lockn’ on that last jam..so glad we could all be lockn’ together mehn..collective hologram

dougieisirie August 19, 2013, 17:52:09

Jorma Kaukonen has 9.6 and 9.7 notched on his web site for interlocken, but no mention of it on the interlocken site.

SarahEll August 19, 2013, 19:50:08

I don’t get the name change, I don’t like the $250 extra for forest camping and not looking forward to the walk I hear about from car camping. Stage all day. All for furthur, just as fustrated with everyone else “wtfing” about why furthur isn’t mentioned?? Lol

SarahEll August 19, 2013, 19:50:09

carolinaphil August 19, 2013, 20:26:04

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young = problem solved !!!!!
carolinaphil

Lee August 19, 2013, 21:01:51

Just heard Neil Young and Crazy Horse cancelled Interlocken Festival in Virginia 9/7 because an guitar player is injured. Why can’t he get a substitute or even play solo for it? Why would he do this to his fans? If he wanted to he can find a way to still play! I either want my money back or a comparable or better band needs to be their replacement. No excuses excepted. It’s false advertisement otherwise.

Pahpreekah August 19, 2013, 23:49:32

Neil canceled all upcoming shows: Europe as well as North America

ToadLock'n August 20, 2013, 02:51:22

Lock’n LOAD all you whiny ass muthfukkers. Warren Fukkin Haynes. PANIC. Fogerty. Mule. Crowes. JB. CLIFF! Brown Cheese. BOBBY & PHIL. Say Grace? You better. This is a dream. Show! If you’re not. JIzzin. Your Pants, STFHome.

Barefoot_Fan August 20, 2013, 07:13:59

Aquarium Rescue Unit is going to play on saturday night. Col Bruce, Otiel and Herring are there and it says on Jeff Sipe Trio website that they are playing a midnight set so all 4 of them will be there along with Kofi who was also in the band later on! REUNION!

pissed August 20, 2013, 08:58:26

Hope the vending cordinator does a better job than they did at the Peach Festival. Horrible placements!

GTPanic August 20, 2013, 12:34:51

Anyone know how to get in touch with anyone? I purchased an RV site, festival page has since been updated to say if you don’t have an RV you cannot enter the RV area…it did not say this when I purchased tickets…I don’t have an RV, just really large tent. HELP!! This is BS…I’ve sent an email but received NO response.

asdfgyhujkl August 20, 2013, 14:39:16

I live in the county of the next music fest. and personally if the musicians were aware of how the residents are being treated I don’t think they would show. Roads are being closed, schools are being closed, locals are being denied vending licenses. We live in the county, pay our taxes, and will not benefit at all from this venue. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE live music, followed the Dead, etc. but when local farmer is told at the last minute, he can’t use the land he has rented and prepared for a decade because it’s going to be a camp site, that’s just wrong. Who cares about the name and logo, work on your ethics.

Oakridge is not a farm! August 20, 2013, 15:16:11

Oakridge is NOT a farm, it’s a vacant estate that rented some of it’s land to a local farmer, and told the farmer in March they weren’t going to rent it this year b/c of the concert. Don’t paint it something it’s not. Oakridge and interlockin totally screwed over a local family for $. If you know anything @ farming, you can’t just wrestle up a couple of hundred acres in March to harvest in the fall.

Inspector Gadgett August 20, 2013, 15:43:45

Smells fishy….

Barefoot_Fan August 21, 2013, 10:15:00

Hot Tuna, Jeff Sipe Trio and Aquarium Rescue Unit reunion are all but announced. It is nobody’s fault that someone got hurt. These things happen.

Post Sniper August 21, 2013, 12:37:21

The name was changed since Interlocken Technologies is a registered trademark, so is Interlocken. They basically stole the name and trademark, even the logo is almost identical. http://www.interlockentechnology.com/

Enough with the drama August 21, 2013, 12:43:15

I’m so sick of this “sky is falling” attitude about a festival that hasn’t even happened yet. I live in the county as well, about two miles from Oak Ridge, and in general locals are fine with this festival, if a little bit apprehensive. First, it will pump about a quarter mil per day into the local economy, so any statement the locals won’t “benefit at all” from this is factually false- no debate about it. Second- roads are closed? Really? Which ones? Where’s the posted VDOT traffic plan? The only road it would make any sense to close is maybe Diggs Mt. Road. Third, absolutely no one I know cares that schools are closed for two days- Nelson closes schools at the drop of a hat at the first sign snow; everyone here is used to closures on short notice. Finally, if the Oak Ridge owner wants to stop renting to a local farmer, that is NOT the fault of the festival. Control of the estate changed ownership a couple of years back when the owner passed away. Times change. It would be nice to see this thing at least get off the ground without self-righteous haters pissing all over it.

Can't wait for this fest! August 21, 2013, 14:44:51

I’ve been searching forums, comment sections and other areas of the internet trying to figure out what is happening with this festival. I can’t believe they took their facebook down. There has to be a place on the internet where all of the attendees can connect and discuss what’s going to be happening in two weeks! I am driving alone from Boston and these last minute changes are kind of freaking me out… That being said, I cannot wait for the amazing music that will be taking place throughout the weekend!!

powerbooter August 21, 2013, 18:27:47

The only band that could even come close to Replacing NY & Crazy Horse is SANTANA.

These things should have been figured out befor he first announcement of a festival August 22, 2013, 09:37:14

These things should have been figured out befor he first announcement of a festival August 22, 2013, 09:38:56

This is crazy I only wanted to see Neil and now he has cancelled…. As far as Santana that would be great he is a friend of my family but is already on tour in vegas…. i could ask, but I dont want to help out the ones who don’t have their shit together…(interlocken promoters) you have sold over 200,000 tickets and are changing major things at the last minute acting as if these changes are not serious and sweeping them under the rug…. This is not a once in a life time event I’ve seen everyone except Neil every year mulitiple times and that probably speaks for the crowd…. this is so disappointing you shouldn’t be allowed to attempt to throw another festival EVER thanks…. HOPE ALL YOU PATRONS ENJOY THE FESTI STILL....

David August 22, 2013, 11:42:48

I assume Neil doesn’t get a substitute for Poncho out of loyalty to Crazy Horse as an entity. Still he could do with Billy, and Ralph and not call it Crazy Horse, or solo. I wonder if Pegi’s band will still play?

mstaggerlee August 22, 2013, 14:09:16

So are you saying that they should have known before announcing the festival that Neil’s guitar player was going to break his hand?? If the only band you wanted to see was Crazy Horse, why would you get tickets to a 4-day festival featuring many other bands, why not just go see Crazy Horse somewhere else? BTW, Pegi & the Survivors are still on the schedule, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Neil showed up, “unannounced”, anyway.

neilfan August 22, 2013, 16:08:36

Pegi Young is still on the schedule and I do think it’s reasonable to assume that Neil will be there. As to whether he performs or not, we’ll have to see…

neilfan August 22, 2013, 16:08:37

nhilic August 22, 2013, 20:05:11

This festival has the most potential ive ever seen period. Not ever has a inaugurial fest had such a top notch line-up. Already collaborations are taking shape. These muscians work on stuff they don’t just say “hey join us for a song” they get their stuff together first believe you me.

bondibox August 22, 2013, 21:11:54

They haven’t sold 200,000 tickets, they’ve sold 20,000 – maybe – out of 40,000 expected (after 10 years, Bonnarroo only draws 100k). Craigslist is packed with people selling. I can only go on Sunday but I’ll be damned if I’m gonna pay $285 + $25 parking. Kick down the 1 day tickets already… it’s the only way to get more people to go.

mg August 23, 2013, 14:15:52

its very simple people. its a festival name change. no big deal will still be the same as any other festival (camping and music). it has’nt even started and and half of you are going in with pissy attitudes already. for anybody that has been to a festival should know IT ALWAYS SAYS “BANDS/SCHEDULES SUBJECT TO CHANGE”. its a risk we all take buying festival tickets. . still one on the best festival line ups.

@the_gingefactor August 25, 2013, 20:34:07

YO! Relax. It’s going to be so fun. We have a huge crew driving from Kansas just for this. Camping is/was a little strange. If you’re going to complain about walking, dont go to a fest. Seriously, every fest you go to, you are prepared to walk miles every day, or at least dance for miles. I’m so so so so so so so excited! I think Trey Band will do a great job covering for Neil. I was excited for Neil but just as excited to see Trey. I think this will be one of the greatest fests around. Have faith people. P.S. I’m pretty sure an interlocken is what you out in your car after you get a dui. soooo yea, im down for the name change. See you all soon!

JoeJoe August 26, 2013, 11:38:08

I think the people with doubts have legitimate concerns. Last minute site changes at festivals never bode well (remember 36 hours of Phish’s management BS at Coventry only to be told to go home! Of course i went to the show).
Peter Shapiro is also less than forthcoming about the name change I am sure thereby causing more concern. I knew from the original announcement it was only a matter of time until they heard from the people at the Interlochen Arts Academy, (pronounced Interlocken) a world famous Music school, which also hosts a world famous summer camp as well as many performances and concerts. The festival name clearly violated their trademark as it is clearly in the same industry , music peformance. I myself first thought the festy was being held in Michigan because of this.
So I don’t blame anyone for being concerned last minute site changes (sorry, but nothing you can do about Neil, tough break literally for everyone). Peter Shapiro spinning lies only adds to the confusion and doubts.

jacksonmead August 26, 2013, 18:04:44

does anyone know anything about set times!??

Janicetmcd August 27, 2013, 16:00:09

Car searches upon arrival. Really?! Oh, but they’ll sell enough alcohol to get everyone stupid and unruly.

Megsss August 27, 2013, 17:29:46

So upset Neil Young isn’t playing, but I’m still psyched to see some great music! Is anyone else volunteering at the festival with WET this year? I had some friends volunteer with them at other festivals and they said it was a great time and they didn’t miss any of the shows they wanted to see!

Squish August 28, 2013, 02:47:37

Hope further doesn’t fall off the stage

Burt September 2, 2013, 07:36:15

You guys are a bunch of fudge tards. They didn’t sell 200000 tickets and they’re not secretly conspiring to screw us. Get your heads out your tushes. If you hate it so much don’t to! Simple as that. As for me, I cannot wait! Cheese is to me steal the fest just you see

Matt September 2, 2013, 20:17:17

Will there be a stream available for Lockin??

j September 3, 2013, 12:00:56

Enough with the drama…YES roads will be closed, school has been cancelled, internet lines have been accidentally cut, crossovers on twenty nine are going to be closed. What ever income is generated will not trickle down to every citizen in the county. Where was the financial gain for locals with Camp Jeep or Kenny Chesney? Food lions profits will to the corporate In N.C., Exxon, BP, Mc Donalds will all go to corporate, Dumb ass why do you think there are barrels set up all down 29?