Published: 2013/08/21

Trey Anastasio Band, Jorma, Jeff Sipe Trio Confirmed for Lockn’

Trey Anastasio Band, Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna guitarist Jorma Kaukonen, Indecision and Jeff Sipe Trio have joined the lineup for the first annual Lockn’ Music Festival. Anastasio will perform on Saturday in place of Neil Young & Crazy Horse, who cancelled their performance due to guitarist Frank “Poncho” Sampedro’s recent hand injury. Event promoter and Relix publisher Peter Shapiro confirmed that Grace Potter had joined the festival’s lineup earlier this week.

“First and foremost my best wishes to Frank “Poncho” Sampedro and his speedy recovery! As huge Crazy Horse fans TAB will do our best to bring their spirit to Lockn’,” Anastasio said in a statement. “We are honored to be a part of such a great lineup for a first year festival.” Phish performed with Neil Young three times in 1998, and Anastasio opened for Crazy Horse last year.

Sipe is the fourth founding member of seminal jamband Aquarium Rescue Unit confirmed for the festival. The drummer joins guitarist Jimmy Herring, who is slated to perform with Widespread Panic, as well as frontman Col. Bruce Hampton and bassist Oteil Burbridge, both of whom will perform as part of Col. Bruce & Friends. The only missing member of the band’s classic lineup is Matt Mundy, who has not participated in recent reunion dates. Kofi Burbridge and Derek Trucks, who have been part of the extended ARU family for years, will also be onsite for a set with Tedeschi Trucks Band.

The Lockn’ Music Festival will take place in Arrington, VA from September 5-8. Furthur, Widespread Panic, The String Cheese Incident, Zac Brown, Jimmy Cliff, Gov’t Mule, Warren Haynes Band, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Punch Brothers and The Black Crowes are among the acts confirmed to appear at the festival. Though Crazy Horse have pulled out of the festival, Pegi Young and the Survivors are also still confirmed to appear.

Fans seeking a refund due to Young’s cancellation must call or email Musictoday by August 23 and be prepared to send their ticket back for arrival by August 31. No refunds will be given until returned ticket(s) are received by Musictoday.

Comments

Way to Go August 21, 2013, 18:06:32

Epic Saturday has turned into Classic Saturday. Way to handle the situation Pete. It’s going to be a great first year.

Beezer August 21, 2013, 18:10:58

Indecision from Charlottesville, VA is playing? Kind of weird that this obscure band that only plays a handful of gigs a year would get to play this festival.

cvillefrank August 21, 2013, 18:57:22

Indecision used to open for WSP in the early 90s and (I believe they opened for Phish at the wetlands back in 90) so it actually is kinda cool they’re there.

Don August 21, 2013, 19:05:33

In no way do the additions make up for nych I mean treys band is like an opening act

GINGER Anne August 21, 2013, 19:50:18

Awesome! Can’t wait! Great job lockn Trey!

Joshua Katt August 21, 2013, 19:52:40

Beezer August 21, 2013, 19:58:11

I wish I was going to this. Yeah, it’s a bummer Neil can’t play, but so much great music plus Indecision. I haven’t seen them since maybe ’92.

Perfect August 21, 2013, 19:59:50

That is an ideal replacement for me. I couldn’t ask for a better lineup, given Poncho’s condition.

Tunajon August 21, 2013, 20:03:35

I am soooo excited! Am super bummed about Neil, but Trey will be good, AND really glad we’re looking at Furthur to close three nights. Bet we get a Genesis and a Bowlegged Woman for the ages with Jorma and Panic. The BEST fest lineup in years, for my tastes.

TCinNYC August 21, 2013, 21:25:05

Great job Lockin, ithis seems like a terirific event. And while it’s unfortunate that Neil & Crazy Horse had to cancel, replacing them with Trey’s band is extremely solid. Also, you have to figure Neil will make his presence felt. I wish I could be there.

Ticranium August 21, 2013, 23:13:00

“Yup, outside of Jorma Kaukonen, I never heard of these guys. But call me sheltered. Nice of the festival to offer refunds but this is the first I am seeing /hearing of it!” sure dood. you’ve never heard of Trey. everyone believes you

timmy August 22, 2013, 00:28:16

You’ve heard of Jorma Kaukonen, but not Trey Anastasio? You must be VERY sheltered Joshua Katt. He’s in this new bar band called Phish.

ncstagger August 22, 2013, 02:20:23

hopin for Greg Allman to drop by one night….

dk70 August 22, 2013, 10:56:13

My buddy went to Lynchburg College in Va. I remember seeing the “Indecision” sticker on his dorm fridge. Upside down shroom, pretty cool.Waaaay back in the day.

Kramer August 22, 2013, 14:07:45

I’m going to the best festival in years!! And not one stupid ass seizure inducing laptop piece of shit is playing! Just real music for real music loving people. Couldn’t be more excited! Hope to see many happy faces there!

Ko August 26, 2013, 14:51:04

Not looking to dis Neil Young but the addition of Trey is what made me buy tickets! Getting Jorma as well? Fabulous. Hoping TAB plays Clint Eastwood…if you haven’t heard THAT, find it online.

poopchute August 28, 2013, 10:16:28

If you haven’t ever seen Jeff Sipe Trio, they are def worth checking out!! Tight muthafunkin proggy jazz.

poopchute August 28, 2013, 10:16:28