Published: 2013/09/17

Furthur Will Go On Hiatus in 2014

Furthur have announced that will be going on hiatus after they wrap up their four-night Paradise Waits resort festival in Mexico. The band recently posted a statement on their Facebook page that reads:

After more than four years of heavy, year-round touring, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir have decided to put their band Furthur on hiatus in 2014. After the four night Furthur run in Mexico in January, the band will take the rest of 2014 off so that Phil and Bob can focus on their countless solo projects.

Furthur came together in September, 2009, and from its inception was a band Phil and Bob were completely committed to, and still are. In the 18 years since the Grateful Dead stopped being a touring entity, Furthur has proven to be the longest-tenured, and most active band featuring two or more former members of the Grateful Dead. With shows that keep the Dead vibe alive while pushing the musical envelope, well, furthur, this band has brought smiles to hundreds of thousands of fans in the past four years. Most impressive is that this has become a true band, and not just Phil and Bob plus some side players. John Kadlecik (guitar), Jeff Chimenti (keyboards), Joe Russo (drums), and Sunshine Becker and Jeff Pehrson (vocals) have joined the trip to create a band that has become one of the most exciting, honest and inspired touring acts in music today.

What does 2014 hold for Phil and Bob? If their activities outside of Furthur in the past four years are any indication, plenty. Phil’s been playing virtually every night when not on tour with Furthur, whether at his Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, CA, or on the road with Phil Lesh & Friends. Bob’s been hosting one of the most unique web-based variety shows in history, Weir Here, every Wednesday night when he’s not touring, presented live from his TRI Studios in San Rafael. Additionally, Bob’s been having a blast playing his solo acoustic shows, as well as other gigs and tours with newer arrivals to the party. He plans to keep doing what he’s doing, and more of it.

The last time the word “hiatus” was used in regards to the Grateful Dead world was in 1974, and we all know how much good that break inspired. They returned a year and a half later, stronger than ever, and for another 20 years. Furthur’s not breaking up; they’re simply taking a much-needed break. One way or another, we’ll see you around.

Comments

Bill September 17, 2013, 19:55:26

A well deserved break (though we know they’ll all still be playing in their other projects). Makes Red Rocks that much more special this year. Hopefully they return in 2015 with the same full lineup. Love this band with John, Joe and Jeff! Until then enjoy the last handful of shows and then some phil and friends, ratdog, john k band, and Russo’s projects (Almost Dead).

cosmicbein September 17, 2013, 19:59:06

Long live The Kings! Dead Forever,Forever Dead

Marshall September 17, 2013, 20:07:29

I can’t begin to express my appreciation. Looking forward to the upcoming Greek Theater shows and many more from these two. While you’re gone, I’ll go catch a Robert Hunter show :-)

mb September 17, 2013, 20:17:53

Surprised that some fool hasn’t made some inane joke about “fake Jerry” and his “cover band.” yet. As much as I miss the big man, truth be told, all in all Furthur was better than most of the shows I saw or heard in the 90’s. Keep Russo on retainer. He’s a beast!

carolinaphil September 17, 2013, 20:47:46

Yes, it’s time for a break….....
carolinaphil

tkfats September 17, 2013, 20:53:05

Best damn cover band $75 can buy! I like cattlesacks, and no, I would not consider him fake jerry, just fake in general. He ranks up there with the best NYC street mimes. Glad these guys are going on hiatus. Let them explore their solo careers. This was a sing along affair anyways.

Stephen G September 17, 2013, 20:54:22

Nothing but love

Stephen G September 17, 2013, 20:54:22

Nothing but love

Joshua Katt September 17, 2013, 20:58:35

Ho Lee Fuk!! I pray this is only a ploy to boost ticket sales in Mexico!! Guys, I would be there but the 3rd week in January doesn’t work for a corporate accountant with a 12/31 year end. Please say it ain’t so. Just scale it back or do all the shows at your places in SF!! The rest of the band has to eat too. I guess that (sadly) puts the nail on the coffin for another Lockn, too bad, it was grate!!!

timmy September 17, 2013, 20:59:28

Furthur is an absolute must see for any Dead fan, especially younger ones who missed out on GD. A well deserved break.

Billygoat23 September 17, 2013, 21:05:30

Man where’s the love TKfats? Damn. I’m actually a DSO guy….lets be honest Mattson is steps away from legally changing his name to Jeff Garcia and has consulted a few doctors on the removal of his middle finger to complete the transformation. Looks like I’m full steam on DSO tour. Fingers crossed Donna Jean joins the boys this tour.

Joshua Katt September 17, 2013, 21:42:46

Shoot. I am dead wrong. Mexico is sold out.

pm September 17, 2013, 21:44:25

THANK GOD!

Ikoiko September 17, 2013, 23:34:25

Yo tk you sound like an old sour dickbag…ungrateful dead for life yo. Fake jerry is ,a beast and furthur is the best dead since jerry died. Clean out your ears you cynical mook

eotw September 18, 2013, 01:30:45

“countless solo projects” aka playing the same Dead songs in their own bands.

kalividya September 18, 2013, 02:35:15

Good for them to have some time off and trying their best to keep the spirit alive…But there was never anything fresh, inspiring and creative going on with Further, and if you experienced the glory days of Dead creation then you would heartily agree that Further has been nothing but a slice of nostalgia

Jeremy Poynton September 18, 2013, 07:05:19

Old eyes can’t read pale grey on white. What the **** is wrong with black on white? Why discriminate against the visually impaired. Got to http://w3c.org for advice on accessibility.

Mike I September 18, 2013, 08:53:06

I have a feeling they will be taking a nice break in 2014 to come back better and stronger in 2015 to do some special things for GD’s 50th anniversary!

Joshua Katt September 18, 2013, 09:34:20

Lets hope so. Lets also hope we’ll all be alive and in shape to play & listen at these ages. 30 Furthur shows in 3 years but never saw the dead…

Peter S September 18, 2013, 09:38:07

I saw there a good 50+ times. It was only toward the very end it was getting stale for me. I had many many great times but I think it is time to take a break.

jaimoe September 18, 2013, 09:48:36

Yes a break is needed from playing the same venues on the east and west coast over and over and over and over again. Throw in Red Rocks which Furthur considers the “midwest and south” but if you dont live on the coasts then who the f is Furthur?

timmy September 18, 2013, 10:10:33

I was wondering how long it would take to see a “cover band” thrown out there by a cynic. tkfats wins the prize. So, I will ask once again: how can a band cover their own music? Nobody has ever been able to answer that. If you hate Furthur, that’s fine, but calling them a cover band is literally going against the definition of what a cover band is. Technically, you could say they are playing covers every time they play a song not written by Weir or Lesh. But they were still released by the Grateful Dead, which Weir and Lesh recorded. Also, every band out there plays cover songs. Why is that a bad thing? I want to hear great live bands cover great songs.

JimmyJax September 18, 2013, 10:14:07

Glad I’m hitting Red Rocks this year!

red head September 18, 2013, 10:23:08

Never saw Furthur, but every time
on Sirius GD when it sounded not right, it was always Furthur. I told my friend, if they cant get it right by now, they
should just stop. I guess its okay if
you were too young to hop on the
bus.
Love you guys, thanks for playing.

Lee September 18, 2013, 10:27:27

Sure appreciate the Furthur shows I have been able to see. Great music and a wonderful extension of the Grateful Dead. I greatly appreciate you sharing the music.

Chucky cheese string September 18, 2013, 11:01:53

Whatever – play – don’t play – play some more. But I do agree with @red head. When Further is on Sirius’s Grateful Dead channel – it just seems a bit rough. But go – pay the boys – they deserve it. I would rather do WSP and Mule at this point.

Rob g September 18, 2013, 11:19:30

Yeah to me John’s jams take Jerry’s tunes to a new a level and one you know Jerr would’ve went to if he thoght of it. I was there and now I’m here and I damn well know jerry would love this band. And yes they need to get ready for the fithty in ’15. Love furthur, but can’t wait to hit some stadiums with the other one’s. 50 years hear it comes and I pray someone keeps playing there songs till infinity. That’s what Jerry would want. Oh and maybe they’ll take a stab at a record..hehe. Peace, love, And grateful dead.

PM September 18, 2013, 12:12:02

people seem to think this is the Grateful Dead it is not, its like Ron wood and Bill Wyman going out on tour playing Stones songs. Move on people there are plenty of great new bands stop living in the past.

mandala September 18, 2013, 12:18:27

easy to think you can speak for a dead man, but garcia would have HATED the way phil and bobby have been treating their rhythm devil bros and phil has imposed his control in the form of pre-arranged set lists and other things that garcia found anathema to the music he invented. hopefully 2015 will bring the reconnection of the core 4 with the amazing stu allen filling garcia’s shoes as only he can and chementi channeling garcia-tude in his unique way! in the interim, more bobby projects like his solo and tri work, plus phil and sons and other more creative combos than “furthur” (more like “not quite” in reality) will phil the bill…

zenmoon September 18, 2013, 12:25:18

Sad indeed, this band continued to involve and make some subtle and psychedelic jamming. And as for the Ron Wood/Bill Wyman remark: Bob Weir sang lead on half of the tunes at GD concerts and wrote some of the most beloved songs and Phil lesh certainly have a unique plying style so ….

mandala September 18, 2013, 12:31:09

great parallel of furthur with wyman/wood! maybe some of you need to cling to the delusion that you’re getting anything even close to the garcia dead with furthur, and if you never got to see garcia maybe it’s worth settling for, but if you were transformed by garcia himself, then furthur is like trying to recapture the taste of the finest wine by swilling two-buck chuck! container and contents might look similar, but ultimately a huge let-down…

steve b September 18, 2013, 14:06:23

Its obvious that there is a generation gap here so calm down. We know that you old schoolers have had the “real” thing- unfortunately there is nothing I can do to get back in time and see the real deal, with the real man up front so we take anything and EVERYTHING we can get. Shit, it seems like some of us on the younger end have WAY more passion about the music the musicians in the Grateful Dead put out.. especially when how many diehard fans let their flame burn out when Jerry passed and have not gone to see anything anyone else has done… at least not with an open mind but clearly clogged ears. I have tapes, youtube and other sources of prime dead, stale dead and other incarnations of Jerry, Phil , Bobby , Micky and Billy that are both great and shitty… Furthur has it all just like the rest in that there are good nights, stale nights and stellar nights. Go find that passion again and quit bitching about everything- do some listening and there will be “nothing left to do but”.... well, we should all know the rest right? BTW- Joe Russo- thanks for getting on this bus and staying on for the trip. You left MANY possibilities behind but made MANY fans stoked and were really tight every night.
2014= year of the DUO????????

timmy September 18, 2013, 15:29:51

@steve b: VERY well put. Could not have said it better. Yes, everyone is well aware how good the Grateful Dead was. Nobody in there right mind would actually think any remaining members could replicate them. Nor are they trying to. Many old timers who I know, love branching out. Not only to the remaining members, but other bands like Panic, Phish, Mule, Trucks etc. BTW, Ron Wood and Bill Wyman is a ridiculous comparison. They were not founding members of the Stones, nor did either of them have even close to the same song writing contribution as Weir and Lesh. You idiots act like they are out of line playing THEIR MUSIC. Phil Lesh changed the way is instrument is played live. Horrible comparison.

Joshua Katt September 18, 2013, 16:12:48

@steve & @timmy, well said. I’m 50 years old who hated the Dead & the hippies growing up. Never saw them. Got into them about 3 years because of the channel, bought everything I missed and now fly coast to coast plus Red Rocks & VA to see them when I can, 30 shows and counting. They took great music, put unique twists and turns on the music and both sets are great. People’s tastes can change & the music can evolve, why not have it both ways instead of complaining????

dk70 September 18, 2013, 16:08:12

I have never seen Furthur, but I am glad to see that Phil and Bob came back together to play music. (Especially after the whole Doug Irwin / potential vault sale/ streaming soundboard masters tiffs) GD is a genre all its own and should be played live as much as possible for a fanbase that can’t get enough. If you don’t like John K thats fine, apparently two gents in the GD do. We’d all give half of our middle finger for that gig. So stop pouting.

vince oldham September 18, 2013, 18:55:00

Man, this truly hurts. Was all booked up and ready for the Vegas shows when I lost my job and cant attend. Everytime I saw Furthur in the last few years I prayed it wouldnt be my last. Now it looks like maybe the last one was just that: my last. Heres to hoping they will find a way to keep on truckin in 2015. Love ya, fellas. And please come back soon…

mb September 18, 2013, 22:16:54

Hate to say it but in my opinion, Jerry was the biggest limiting factor in the last few years of GD existance. He got pretty lazy. He didn’t want to play a lot of great songs from his back catalog. (I’ll take Furthur’s Viola or Rag over another set ending Don’t Ease Me In any day.) He would turn his volume down so people wouldn’t hear his mistakes and he didn’t have his trademark enthusiasm for the exploratory jams. That being said, I cherished every show I saw with him. His playing still resonated with me on a profound and personal level. It’s still fun checking out all of the permutations that have since ensued. They’re musicians. What else are they supposed to do except play music?

Bill B September 18, 2013, 22:18:51

To belittle and insult a band that Bob and Phil created to continue to bring the music to both new and old fans is just disrespectful and in poor taste. Sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. If you don’t like the band, listen to what makes you happy but don’t bring everyone else down with your negative comments. I’ve see the Dead 25+ times in the 70’s/80’s and now 20 Further shows. And they’ve all be memorable.

Meg September 19, 2013, 00:32:17

I don’t get all this dissing and complaining. Its simple…if you don’t like it don’t listen!
Personally, I haven’t seen the boys in 22 years and am thrilled to be getting to see one show next week!

Randy G September 19, 2013, 00:49:41

I can only speak for myself, but I like Weir and Phil, but I love Jerry. I could listen to Jerry Band for days on end and not miss Weir or Lesh one bit. While I appreciate that they still do it, it does not sound good to me. Like i said, I loved the Dead because of Jerry, if he hadnt been with the Dead I wouldn’t have loved them. He isn’t with Furthur, therefore I do not love them. Jerry actually stated in an interview that he would prefer if the whole thing died with him, so let’s not get into what Jerry would want. If you ebjoy going, go. But don’t try to say that old heads like us don’t know what we are talking about when we say that Furthur is just a pale shadow. Best post Jerry band was Phil Quintet and 02 Other Ones, imho.

green heron September 19, 2013, 01:01:28

haters gon hate. the average furthur show is equal to the average dead show. furthur is consistent and fun, yet predictable. the dead at times was horrible and at times interstellarly galactically magnificent. i’d take the dead any day, for a chance that lighting will strike, but furthur is fun. ...and if u wanna see lightning strike, see stu allen – he’s the only jerry-esque player that is free and surprises me.

bob Smith September 19, 2013, 01:55:59

Thank GOD – no butchering of songs. Bob’s cool but has no chops left and all phil and jill (sorry their names don’t deserves capitals) are doing is trying to make their son’s rocks stars – right!!! have they listened to them lately -OMG Hang it up please and let us have some good memories left. And by the way who watches a 60 + year old man fall down and keeps playing – I know Bob was messed up be he almost OD’d that night and Phil couldn’t have given two rats asses to stop and see if he was alright – that was the end of anything cool – when Jerry died and then Ram Rod the Heart and soul left the building and aren’t coming back.

peter geyer September 19, 2013, 10:29:44

Your an asshole Bob smith, not a deadhead. Go fuck yourself!

timmy September 19, 2013, 11:30:16

bob smith (sorry, your name is definitely not worth capitalizing) you are the precise reason bands hate some of their fans. Thank God you are not an important person who has any say in creative decisions of artists. If you were, the world would be denied beautiful music. Go spread your ugly vibes somewhere else, and let non-haters enjoy some music.

Wooker t September 19, 2013, 16:37:48

Ok I have been keeping my opinion about further mostly to myself out of respect for Phil Joe Jeff and the folks in the vocal section and the awesome job they do. But at this point the words “real band” are being thrown around far too loosely for me, a dedicated fan of the gd and the art of making good music. If this band is true I challenge them to come back with an album of new original tunes in ’14. Anything less amounts to the greatest nostalgia act I can think of. If little else it’s a chance for JK to write with robert hunter and begin to find his own. I really hope joe is finally famous enough that a mass of paying custies will be interested the duo and any other cool new shit he has going. I also still urge any further heads who like Joe to dig up any recordings of fat mama they can. I know there’s recorded shows out there…they were beyond psycedelic.

Randy G September 19, 2013, 17:02:07

“Your an asshole (Peter Geyer), not a deadhead. Go fuck yourself!”
I see, now if you don’t like Furthur you are not a Deadhead. Anyone here remember that Bobby toured for three years hardly playing two dead songs a night? Anyone remember how terrible Ratdog used to be? Don’t give me that “Not a Deadhead” bs. Jerry WAS the Dead, thats all there is to it.

wayne September 19, 2013, 22:17:35

mexico for sale

Fred F. September 20, 2013, 00:02:16

Bob Smith and Peter Geyer you are both idiots.
Go take your narcissistic rants somewhere else.

Joshua Katt September 20, 2013, 09:51:15

Mexico sold out !! Do you have a room you want to sell Wayne?

nathan m September 20, 2013, 11:40:54

on the bus since 1969. Knew the band and traveled with them. Privileged to call them friends. What Phil resurrected after Jerry’s passing is nothing short of a miracle. If people just looked around and understood the church that the GD, P&F, Furthur and Bob’s side projects represent, then you can only say THANK YOU, FOR A REAL GOOD TIME. To bring the tribe together, with kids now (mine we’re at GD shows at age 2 and are now 21,24) to pray and sing and redeem ourselves night after night is the reason Phil had the revolutionary idea to continue to search for the sound and continue the love. many of us have had near death experiences. These bands are about embracing life. after producing a festival this summer I am appalled at the mess and total lack of consciousness that the tribe brings to these shows. However the band, and doesn’t anyone listen to Phil!!!, night after night goes on stage to do what they have always tried to do. To break the last glass ceiling. Every night is a blessing. To be alive, to with my tribe, to be with church, to listen to the words of Hunter, to remember that Love is all there is. Follow Guru’s, Read dumb shit on how to live life. OR come to a show with an open heart and let one of the most experienced group of folks bring you where you can only go when a band allows the audience to be the “other” member of the band. They might know how they do what they do, but they certainly know when they are doing it. SO DO I. all there is to say thanks and until we all come together again, blessings. Thanks boys (and sunshine)....G-D Bless

Zolarbozo September 20, 2013, 15:23:30

To the Haters:
“Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.” To the Jerry Fanatics:
If you only liked the GD because of Jerry, then you are only a Jerry fan, not a real Head – sorry. Jerry was special, no doubt. A true American icon. People who know nothing of his music recognize his face. That is neat! That said, seems to me that the whole has always been greater than the some of their parts. Jerry was part of something bigger. “the band keeps playing on” General Commentary:
“If I knew the way, I would take you home”

Joshua Katt September 20, 2013, 20:40:13

“This was a sing along affair anyways” That’s what made it so special for me. Everyone sang along, including the true fans in the audience who can quote the lyrics like biblical scripture. Powerful stuff. Of course, I also get the 2 idiots behind me having a unrelated conversation shouting over Bobby during the quietest moments of “Day’s Between”...

Bill B September 20, 2013, 21:09:01

Nathan M No one has said it better. Right there with you.

wayne September 20, 2013, 23:13:16

yes will sell but it won’t be cheap make offers

Bill B September 20, 2013, 23:26:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F07xf7LoXQo Furthur – Sweetwater 1/17/13 first set. The smile on Phil’s face says it all. You can’t watch this and say this band isn’t hot.

Wookit....t September 21, 2013, 13:38:24

Trying to marganalize people who have opinions about art by calling them “haters” is sort of silly. Talk about a ‘generational’ thing here…I’m old and just don’t understand what people mean when they talk like this. Isn’t this what crappy people from Hollywood who pander to the lowest audiences say to defend the crap they put out? Explain to me how people aren’t allowed to analize art and offer an opinion in America. Please…do so now. Right here on this thread. Anyone who has actually tried to create something real and good knows it ain’t easy to break the mold the way Garcia did and how easy it is to copy what someone’s alllready done. What’s this JK dude done that he didn’t copy from Jerry? Also what do people think about the idea of Further writing new songs during the hiatus and coming back with a new album in’15? I’d like to see JK write a Jerry ballad with Hunter as good as Black Muddy River, Days Between or Stella Blue. It was Jerry Gacias ability to create that brought all of us here. I’m ready to challenge JK to do some real work. With rare exception real bands make records. I’ll also point out that even Jerry’s side projects who played mostly covers did a lot to express who they were as a band in interpreting popular tunes in new and ineresting ways. Can JK at least show us he can do that? JGB had what, three originals? How about three new tunes JK? You got what it takes? If Jerry had the same MO as Jk in 1965 he would have become an Elvis impersonator and been stinking ricth by ’67…not ’87 and above all the Grateful Dead may never have hapened. Imagine that? Authenticity is one of my favorite qualities in the GD. How does JK offer any at all?

timmy September 21, 2013, 23:46:09

wookit: your entire posting is about how Furthur is not original because they have no original songs, and JK is akin to an Elvis impersonator. Fact: Bob Weir and/or Phil Lesh wrote a significant amount of songs in the GD catalogue, and recorded all of them as rhythm, bass, lead, and backing vocals. They have every right to play their music. Nobody has ever claimed JK was taking Jerry’s spot as a creative influence in Furthur. JK is a fantastic guitarist who knows GD music inside and out. When he solos, or when they jam out , I enjoy it quite a bit. It’s not Jerry, it’s something new and fresh. If you disagree, that’s fine. It’s a matter of taste. But Bobby and Phil will always have a right to play their music.

Ryan September 23, 2013, 12:45:28

After what I saw Saturday Night on the Rocks, this is necessary. Never seen any band tank it as badly as they did. Bob flat out forgot how to play and sing. Sad to say but been a great ride!

Ravinwolf September 23, 2013, 18:47:18

Looking for two mexico tickets. Further tore Red Rocks a new canyon! Got $ for Paradise Waits.

Ravinwolf September 23, 2013, 19:03:51

Looking for two tix to Paradise Waits in Mexico. Got $. Ravinwolf.band@gmail.com

jason September 24, 2013, 19:05:48

I heard Bobby broke up Furthur because he’s getting the Midnites back together.

dave September 24, 2013, 19:10:50

The biggest issue I see with Furthur is Bob really can’t hack it anymore… I love the guy but seriously, he is all over the place. Thank GOD for JK & Russo…

gfredg September 25, 2013, 02:13:28

Just saw 4 nights at Red Rocks. For all you so called critics ~ I’ve been participating for 41 years. Your nitpicking is a joke. As good as ever.
How did you play at your last gig. It’s time for you to go off grid & revel in your clueless coments. Just ‘cause you can’t buy a ticket don’t blame it on us.

gfredg September 25, 2013, 02:29:14

Ryan, you were not at Saturdays show or in the bathroom doing the wrong hiables. It’s so much bigger than your small comments.
How did you play at your last gig, Republican?
Not as good as your computer games? Pity the fool.

nickt1631 September 25, 2013, 13:47:15

so, you can’t have an opinion on a band(a band that you paid money to see), unless you’re in a band??? And if said opionion is negative, then you’re a Republican? Oh and a computer geek. Wow.

Button Man September 25, 2013, 14:19:28

It is true that the reason furthur is taking a break is because the band members outside of Lesh and Weir were getting paid scale rates? I was told they asked for an opportunity to make some cash for themselves with their other bands.

mb September 25, 2013, 20:06:59

How ridiculous. If you are going to level inflamatory claims them you oughta back’m up. They all seem pretty thrilled to be playing such a high profile gig – free to leave at any time if a better opportunity arises.
Give me a break.

Manny Lomas September 27, 2013, 19:34:50

I hoped on in the summer of 91’, and if I hadn’t hit the bootlegs as hard as I have since then, I don’t know if I would have gotten ‘it’ the way I feel fortunate enough to say I have. Although I saw around 50 shows until the end, I was never able to see enough shows to feel like I had done justice to the flame of inspiration the boys ignited in me the day I went out to buy (egad!) Skeletons from the closet at the age of 16. Tour from 91-95 at times seemed like collective ‘group-therapy’ for those who were fortunate or unfortunate enough to see what was happening to the deterioration of the x-factor that was so prevalent on boot-legs from 70,73,77,85,90 etc.. While all of this is subjective, what I believe now more than ever was that I was dying to get a piece of the sense of history that the boys had so impeccably managed to sustain a piece off since the days of the Gathering of the Tribes in Golden Gate Park in the Summer of 1967. while the Stones etc. all came from the same era, there is, and exists something fundamentally different which emanated in sound and spirit of the S.F. Haight-Ashbury aesthetic than anything else that came from that era. While numerous tomes of meticulously conducted research exist on the after mentioned subjects,
it is safe to say that last nights performance truly breached the group consciousness into that other realm of eternal being; unknowing formlessness, the eye of creation birthing the ingredients of reality in a formless cacophony of the sacred and the profane, the eternal forms of Apollo and Dionysus perpetually intertwined in a dance of life and death: The X-Factor incarnate, with (as was stated in Furthur Forums) w/ Coltrane himself (in spirit) paying visit and nodding in approval. I do not know what will hold forth for the legacy of the psychedelic rock movement (which shall forever have it home in the San Fransisco of the 1960’s), all I know is that the legacy of community and improvisation are alive and well in the current and the forthcoming ranks of the Grateful Dead family. Branford playing on stage reminded of me of a calling I was blessed enough to realize and accept at the blissful age of 16: Jazz to me is the savior of the nations soul, as its conception in Congo Square in New Orleans can have no more bearing an integral aspect of the nations soul than any other. It is our contribution to the canon of Western Civilization, and a mighty blow indeed to the incarnations of malaise and frivolity that seep into the marrow of a country’s soul every now and then (between epochs of history and time); as Joseph Campbell said, the Grateful Dead are the antidote to the atomic bomb. Kesey, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Coltrane, Hunter Thompson, Garcia, these are my heroes, my sacred totems of perpetual inspiration and fire, and I am fortunate to be a part of this community that has saved my soul more times than I care to remember. What an epic night of music, family and all that is right with living one’s life in the eye of the storm of history and time eternal…Blessings family, and thank you Phil, Bobby and co. for facilitating the love of life my parents instilled in me as a child, and now as a man, if I never get the chance to see Furthur live again, I will always have become a better person, with a calling and someone to love…all of you. Blessings…

Heather pirnat September 28, 2013, 05:18:18

Furthur is not a cover band bob weir and phil lesh are two of the founding members of the original grateful dead furthur the other ones the dead phil lesh and friends kingfish bob weir and phil lesh have remained friends and also rat dog bob weir mother mcrees uptown jug band and the warlocks.they have played their music for you including time remaining grateful . Dead drummers mickey hart and bill kreutzman still play with their bands rythem devils and i cant remember the other new name of bill kreutzman s band but they have jammed for almost half a century foryou to hear their music.

Rock Star in Japan September 28, 2013, 15:10:44

It’s good to find a Furthur thread with more fans than Haters. Anyone else notice that the haters always neglect to mention or maybe they just don’t realize that Furthur has original tunes; I think they simply don’t realize because they don’t listen to the music. They hate Furthur on principle, pretty sad really.

john October 1, 2013, 18:42:28

I saw Sunday in Berkeley..excellent,muy bueno.great venue,awesome crowd.band just about perfect..memories ans unspiration for future..thanks guys. It was a joy to see ya again..saw first furthur show at the fox…come back soon

Grant October 8, 2013, 00:44:35

You get what you put into it, and then some. Thanks for playing!

Peter October 8, 2013, 21:18:43

Thanks to kind tapers, UStream, and official SBDs, my Furthur collection is pretty thick. Been to a few shows too: good vibes all around. I like this band, sometimes it sounds better than early 90s Dead. Chimenti and Russo really add a lot of energy, creativity, and brightness to the music. Not a fan of Phil’s singing, which my 12-year daughter described to me the other day as a “cat being strangled” (ouch). In terms of overall sound, Bobby’s guitar seems a bit too present in the mix, and his trading lead vocals with JK on many Jerry tunes is odd. Speaking of JK, he’s better rounded and probably more knowledgeable about GD music than Warren Haynes, but lacks the latter’s power of taking the bull by horns, if you know what I mean. Anyway, it’s been fun while it lasted! Hope to see the boys again soon. “Wherever he goes the people all complain.”

tom sidebottom January 21, 2014, 09:58:55