Published: 2013/11/03

Phil Lesh Signs Deal With Peter Shapiro For 2014 Shows

Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh announced a deal with Port Chester’s Capitol Theatre for 2014. The deal includes up to 30 shows at the Capitol Theatre throughout the year as well as multiple shows at various venues operated by Relix publisher Peter Shapiro including Brooklyn Bowl and Capitol Theatre.

A kickoff show will take place at Williamsburg’s Brooklyn Bowl November 14 and then the series will begin in April of 2014. Lesh will appear at Brooklyn Bowl’s new Las Vegas outpost April 20 as well as the second annual Lockn’ Festival in Arrington, VA September 5-8. Furthur, featuring Lesh and Bob Weir, appeared at the inaugural event this year.

Some special fan offerings are in the works for Lesh’s shows such as “Bowling with Phil” V.I.P. packages and posters each night that add up in a comic-strip-like sequence.

Phil Lesh recently mentioned that he wanted to scale back his touring schedule, sticking mostly to multi-night runs and mini-residencies. “I’m pretty sure I want to make music till I can’t breathe anymore. I just want to do it within the most focused possible way. The future looks really exciting,” Lesh said.

Last night, Phil Lesh & Friends wrapped up a four night run at Port Chester’s Capitol Theatre, with a lineup that featured Anders Osborne, Luther Dickinson, Lesh’s son Grahame, Jason Crosby and Tony Leone.

Comments

Matt November 4, 2013, 10:40:13

No attribution to the New York Times article apart from the link in the first sentence. You guys need to be careful about citing your sources more explicitly. And I agree about disclosing the relationship with Shapiro. You’d think that might mean that you could get the information first-had rather than lifting it from a Times article…

doodman November 4, 2013, 12:31:18

Last night Phil and Friends worked Freebird into Dark Star. Anders on vocals.

Noodles November 4, 2013, 13:12:30

Just another example of the new music industry, as well as a working man in his 70’s still inspiring others. Look forward to seeing him live in a week or so myself. As to the business connections, and disclosures, honesty serves all best at the end of the day. Even AOL is a big player behind the scenes despite most who think they don’t exist. Look up all the property, businesses and rights they own and connect the dots. Fact is, venues everywhere are all being set up for live streaming and much more capabilities, even festivals are being ‘bought’ out by the likes of LYV (Live Nation) and such. It is what it is. CD players are optional equipment in many cars. Amazing…..

Mikey Dread November 4, 2013, 16:16:21

For those of you sour grapes fans who think you are SOL because Phil has decided at 73 after 46 years of touring the country to limit his performances to a few small venues, you are obviously not a real fan at all. The man is tired of living on a bus, but very much intends to keep entertaining us for years to come. Elvis did the same thing and if you really wanted to see him, you had to travel to Vegas to do so. Same with Phil. If you are a real fan and really want to catch his show, would it kill you to travel to where he will play? Oh, let me guess, he is supposed to travel to you. Get with it or get off the bus, sit at home and sulk that the old days are gone. The Capitol Theater is the perfect home away from home for Phil and if it will allow him to scale down his travel and keep playing, I am grateful.

dk70 November 4, 2013, 16:49:38

Cool, loving Phil @ the Cap! What a great venue.

Joshua Katt November 4, 2013, 17:19:58

Love this concept living in NY and I’ve flown to SF 3 times in the last year for Phil & Bob, but why not include Furthur in this mix? Phil clearly can’t or won’t sing much anymore (and I do love his voice) so why not keep a good thing going in “touring retirement”?

Southern Mang November 5, 2013, 09:18:40

So if you aren’t in Cali or NY you are screwed pretty much. How about a run of shows in New Orleans since Phil loves having Anders in his band? It’s a slap in the face to ignore us for so long.

lovethedead November 8, 2013, 17:32:38

Who really cares? Jerry has been dead for a long time and now its just the same ol shit charging folks alot for a little bit of fun while they live in the past! The Grateful Dead died with Pigpen get over it people

Trail_Mix November 15, 2013, 19:50:22

As disappointed as I was when I heard about Furthur’s hiatus, this kinda makes up for it. I know it sucks for people not in the NY/SF area, but at least with multi-night runs, you can save up and it’ll be more bang for your buck, right? I guess not every fan is determined to go on tour, so for those who only want to catch one or two shows, I guess they’re out of luck, but for the die-hard fans, I see this as good news. I’m just happy that Phil is so dedicated to playing all these shows, and having two “hubs” he can stay centrally located around should be a great thing, and it doesn’t mean he won’t play any shows outside of these few venues either. But consider the slew of musicians who live in or travel through NYC that could be potential “Friends” or at least guests, and with less time spent travelling, that leaves Phil with more time to rest, practice, jam with new members of PL&F, explore new material, and ultimately, it will all culminate in better improvisation! My only concern is that these shows will be prohibitively expensive. Instead of focusing on these fancy V.I.P. packages, let’s see something for those of us who want to catch as much music as possible, and don’t want to work lot. Because unfortunately, the more kids that start trying to work lot to afford shows, the faster Port Chester will become a police state.

jaydog10956 November 19, 2013, 15:53:14

whats sucks is the over priced tikt that you cant get sale starts at 11am on a tue. and thay cant book the big places any more m.s.g. couse they dont sellout. go to a dso show the fans and music are always better. deadhead since 71

black friday sales November 28, 2013, 02:25:52

%title%yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013yledtjnw black fridayyledtjnw black friday 2013
[url=http://blackfridayfreeshipping.tumblr.com]black friday sales[/url] black friday sales

Ray Ban Wayfarer Prescription Glasses Size July 8, 2014, 06:30:03

This is great stuff, its sweet to be in the know. Ray Ban Wayfarer Prescription Glasses Size

NIKE AIR MAX JR SOUTH BEACH July 29, 2014, 02:04:53

Je laisse lecomédien ?vu à la télé? continuer à narguer lechaland de son regard narquois et arrive à la Brasserie duConservatoire pour prendre mon petit-déjeuner. NIKE AIR MAX JR SOUTH BEACH

About time November 4, 2013, 02:17:13

It’s about time that this agreement was disclosed even though the old one was not. This explains why this site mentions every movement that Lesh makes. It is only proper this “news” site disclosures it’s financial dealings in “portraying” the news.

KB November 4, 2013, 06:57:15

I get what you are saying, About Time, but I believe anything Phil does IS news on this website.

Turn Out The Lights November 4, 2013, 07:23:05

So if you don’t live near SF, NYC, nor Vegas, or any other place that Mr. Shapiro is vested in, does that mean you S-O-L, to see Phil? What about All Good, is that in the bag, too? This hurts worse than that Phish Halloween blunder!

Michael November 4, 2013, 07:55:05

Blunder? If that’s how you feel, you won’t be missed from the phish community. Looking back, the album was teased throughout the big fall jams. New music, especially by Phish, is a much bigger deal than covering some old, stale classic rock album.

T November 4, 2013, 08:58:31

So the Brooklyn Bowl posters are supposed to all connect to form a comic strip? That sounds cool looking but, (assuming they are not just a VIP package thing) extremely expensive at $30-60 a poster. These multi-night posters break the bank sometimes and then no wall space for more stuff.. hmmm

Sue Hartman November 4, 2013, 10:20:02

THANK YOU! so much is happening in California (TRI Studio, Sweetwater, Terrapin Crossroads) and I have spent bundles of cash traveling there (We just spent a week in Berkeley for the Greek shows) It will be nice to be able to stay on the East coast for a change. I saw the Furthur at Capitol Theatre in April and Port Chester was beyond stellar! I just had the Cap Theatre poster along with my tickets stubs professionally frame. Although it cost close to $200, its one of the best pieces of art work I have on my walls – basically due to the wonderful experience we had there. Thanks again Phil & Friends!!