Published: 2013/11/09

Phil Lesh & Friends Finish Sticky Fingers, Begin Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Phil Lesh and Friends and American Jubilee completed their performance of all the songs from The Rolling Stones’ 1971 album Sticky Fingers at the Best Buy Theater in New York City last night, finishing up a sequence that began on Wednesday. Phil and Friends then continued the trend when they began playing tunes from Derek and the Dominos’ 1970 masterwork Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs during the second set.

American Jubilee—which features Phil’s son Brian Lesh—got things going when they knocked out “I Got The Blues” and “Sister Morphine” during their opening performance. Phil and Friends then worked Sticky Fingers’ final two tracks, “Dead Flowers” and “Moonlight Mile,” into their first set, which also saw takes on Crosby, Stills. Nash & Young’s “Ohio,” Bob Dylan & The Band’s “This Wheel’s On Fire” and North Mississippi Allstars’ “Shake (Yo Mama).”

The second set consisted of a number of Grateful Dead classics, including a “Morning Dew” that was sandwiched between “Dark Star,” as well as the first two tracks from Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs—“I Looked Away” and “Bell Bottom Blues.” The band then encored with the album’s third song, “Keep On Growing.”

Phil Lesh and Friends will wrap up their five-night run at the Best Buy Theater tonight and, if the last few shows are any indicator, the performance will feature a few more songs from Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. In related news, Phil Lesh and the Terrapin Family Band have also announced a show at the Brooklyn Bowl for this Thursday, November 14.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist

Friday, November 8, 2013, Phil Lesh & Friends, Best Buy Theater, New York, NY

Set I: Dire Wolf, Ohio > This Wheel’s On Fire > Shake (Yo Mama) > Dead Flowers,
Mason’s Children, Moonlight Mile

Set II: Shakedown Street > Jam > Caution! (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > He’s Gone, I Looked Away, Jam > Dark Star > Morning Dew > Dark Star, Bell Bottom Blues, Uncle John’s Band

Enc: Keep On Growing

Lineup:

Phil Lesh
Grahame Lesh
Anders Osborne
Luther Dickinson
Jason Crosby
Tony Leone

Source: Philzone.com

Comments

Eric November 9, 2013, 11:35:35

Is Luther in the band?

Joshua Kat November 9, 2013, 11:41:57

Does Phil even sing any more? Come on buddy, we love your voice!

Cloudy Knight November 9, 2013, 12:19:14

A) Yes, Phil still sings. Example; Last night’s Dark Star
B) You love his voice? Get your ears checked.

sean November 9, 2013, 14:06:10

Phil should pay the crowd for listening to him sing. Enough with the kids too, you would think they would want to do something on there own. Im sure Its tough to get off that tit.

time to hang it up phil November 9, 2013, 17:06:04

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!!!! November 9, 2013, 17:55:38

how much coverage is jambands.com gonna give this cover band? its almost as if there are reporters firing off knuckle babies to every move that phil and his not-so-talented sons make….... can’t change the spots on those baby shit leopards, I guess….... definite cover mongrols…. the grateful dead have been broken up for 18 years and I think phil’s only written about 3 songs since…. and the Stones are still together…... talk about beating a dead horse…. this shit just aint fresh…. how bout some new material already?

yossarian November 9, 2013, 18:16:57

Who goes to janbands.com and whines about Phil coverage. Anyone else curious how Keep On Growing sounded? Love the ’85 Dead versions.

MarZaPhiGar November 9, 2013, 18:48:44

Phil’s voice has become more listenable in recent years- which is more about how it’s been fucked with in the mix. He DID used to be quite the boner-killer though- that said, he at least is always in tune- AND- there will come a day- all too soon, I’m afraid, where we will be mourning the loss of that curious warble…

Maine November 10, 2013, 10:28:05

Phil is the man let him do what he wants when he wants with who he wants- EVERYTIME I SEE PHIL I AM BLOWN AWAY AND LEAVE FEELING BLESSED TO HAVE BEEN A PART OF THE MAGIC HE MAKES-

Clarke W. Griswald November 10, 2013, 14:01:50

I thought Ohio was the best song of that night. The second set was to slow, after shakedown street, there was nothing, that was funky booty shakin’ enough for my taste. I think I liked Mickey Harts band a little better. A lot of Mickeys original music was a little too dramatic and out there for me… I like the funky stuff, I wanna boogie down and get sweaty. In the second set of the Phil show, I kept thinking something up tempo was coming and it never did. We needed a “Not Fade Away” or a “West L.A. Fadeaway” and it just got slower.