Published: 2013/12/21

Endless Tour Project to Retrace the Grateful Dead’s 1995 Tour

Joanna Colangelo, founder and director of the Endless Tour Project, has announced that she will set out this February to recreate the Grateful Dead’s final 1995 tour. Colangelo stated on her new blog, “Notes from the Promised Land,” that she plans to meet with fellow Deadheads along the way to share experiences and collect stories for future blog posts. She also plans to post daily Facebook and Twitter updates of her tour, as well as video clips from the actual 1995 tour.

Colangelo has requested that anyone willing contact her via Facebook or through the Endless Tour Project website.

“This is meant to be a widely shared experience, and not an experiment conducted in isolation,” Colangelo blogged. “I invite everyone to join in – to create the Endless Tour community. Send me a note; find us on Facebook. It’s about meeting up in your city to have coffee, grab a drink, swap tales, listen to tunes.”

Comments

MarZaPhiGar December 21, 2013, 07:29:31

That tour was shit.

LETITGO December 21, 2013, 08:31:02

I love the Grateful Dead and always will but give it a rest. Going on tour without a band?

Thaddeus Kosciuszko December 21, 2013, 10:26:14

I have a (cassette!!!!) copy of the 6/21/95 Grateful Dead performance I attended that evening in Albany, New York and it was an excellent show . “Hell In A Bucket”, “Morning Dew” and a rather rare rendition of The Beatles “It’s All Too Much” sung by Vince Welnick were just a few of the highlights .

David R December 21, 2013, 10:49:48

Why not retrace summer 85. It was a happier time.

spikenyc December 21, 2013, 12:23:33

WHY?!!!
Especially the ’95 tour? Because it was the last?
This is very weird.

spikenyc December 21, 2013, 12:31:28

Ok, even after looking at her website it still does not make sense. If she really wants to get a sense of what a Grateful Dead tour was like look at the ’80’s, The 90’s for the Dead was hit or miss and quite depressing at times.

drasticjasper December 21, 2013, 13:08:27

Meet me at the corner of Haight and Ashbury i’m the wookie with the pit bull spanging

datbrad December 21, 2013, 15:50:52

Not sure why she picked ’95….. Spring tour will have her sitting in a handful of cities for 3-4 days each, and following the summer stops would be almost morbid. How fun is that? If she’s thinking late era Dead, Summer ’91, or Brent era fall ’84 takes you through more towns. For me, a lot of the towns they played offered little other than the Dead shows….

joe December 21, 2013, 16:50:55

i agree, i was at deercreak and chicago, and the tour was “the tour from hell” not to say there werent moments of musical genius. even deercreaks show had its moments, at least to me at(i was 14).
this seems like something that either a non deadhead would do to try and market a book, or something someone who is into furthur or whatever and for some reason thinks this would be fun.
the only way i would read ths book was if i was in jail, and i had already read everything else.

Michael Simmons December 21, 2013, 17:34:21

Joanna’s doing it because she was 15 in 1995 and was there. She represents her age group of Deadheads and sees the Dead from a very specific, personal perspective. Is all this negativity necessary? If you don’t have anything positive to add, why bother posting? Is it so important to knock somebody else’s passion? By the way, I first saw the Dead in the early ’70s. You kids who idealize the ’80s don’t know what you missed.

butch Dener December 21, 2013, 17:51:10

I was on stage with The Band for the last 2 shows in ’95. Opening,,,
Jo will tell the true story of that final ride ,,, thankfully. A very different run.
Sharpshooters, death threats and much more!!
L
Looking forward to her always insightful writing, and her research-driven insights !
You Go Jo !!!!!

butch Dener December 21, 2013, 17:53:38

I was on stage with The Band for the last 2 shows in ’95. Opening,,,
Sharpshooters, death threats and much more!!
L
You Go Jo !!!!!

Marty December 22, 2013, 20:59:14

Give her credit for wanting to share the spirit of the Grateful Dead. The 90’s may not have been the 80’s and certainly not the 70’s not to mention the 60’s. But regardless when you may have gotten on the bus, they were certainly important to you all.

Mr. Postman December 23, 2013, 05:57:12

Will she be dressed in a patchwork dress and dragging a pitbull puppie around while carrying a sign that reads, “I Need a Miracle”?

Jason December 24, 2013, 21:58:06

Some people are so negative. I saw my one and only Jerry show at RFK on 6/25/95. A night that changed my life. I was 18 and experiencing life for the first time. Looking forward to reading this book

Walkin Blues December 25, 2013, 17:13:01

“God bless the child that’s got it’s own” . I saw the Dead for 25 years. Last saw them in Salt Lake City. As ragged as it might have been I was still very happy to be there, as an elder. I saw major changes in the band, the scene, and the music in all those years. So please allow the youth to follow dreams.Lets say a kid was only 15 or even 10 in 1995 and they only saw the Grateful Dead once. Very fortunate I say. Joanna’s article on the Dead in the Huffington Post this past summer was nothing less than brilliant and positive in a world of negativity. Even the “tour from hell” had beautiful moments for some. So if you meet Joanna in coming weeks, be kind to her. 1995, not the best year for the Dead but for some who never saw them before quite possibly the positive kick in the ass or blessing that made them become a better human beings.

dk70 December 26, 2013, 18:26:01

I went to the Giants Stadium show. I remember they opened with “Feel Like a Stranger” and closed with Lucy in the Sky W Diamonds. Jerry doing “Wharf Rat” was a glimmering moment in an otherwise tough night.

LastShowAttendee December 29, 2013, 14:12:55

I went to the last show in Chicago’s Soldier Field. I sat first row at the complete opposite end of the stadium from the stage and I recall two twirling young women, spinning nearly the whole show on the field directly below. I had to look away at times to avoid becoming dizzy. I still have most, if not all, of my ticket stubs to the various shows I attended btw 1982 & 1995. Good luck on the tour journey Jo and don’t let others deter you in your quest.

Jerry's Dead December 30, 2013, 13:55:13

Some posts may be negative but I have to agree it is strange. I went to my share of dead shows over the years etc but it’s over. Jerry’s dead. Move on. Hey Lou Reed died but you don’t see me going to NYC and visiting every place he went. It’s called growing up. I still go see concerts but from a very different perspective than in my teens and early 20s.

MarZaPhiGar December 30, 2013, 14:35:55

I dunno what cred she has writing for huffpost (nor have i read it) but if you want to read THE BEST fan tribute article- warts and all- from an ’80s kid, a few months ago there was an article in NY Magazine about the taper scene, featuring a lot of info about the guy who plays Bobby in DSO (had no idea what his history was til then).The best line of all was when the author compared off-nights regarding Mickey & BIll as “sounding like sneakers in a dryer.’ LOLZ.

Barry Peace January 15, 2014, 12:30:31

First Show 1982 Providence R.I. Many to follow.As far as 95” tour,I opted for Max Creek on Nantucket instead of the GD playing friggen Highgate VT.. Tour was such a negative vibes…From the Lot to the show. Well time has passed and I’m ready for Ratdog 2014.