Published: 2014/01/28

Gregg Allman: Allman Brothers to Stop Touring After 2014

Gregg Allman says that The Allman Brothers Band will stop touring at the end of 2014. When asked about The Allman Brothers Band’s future as part of an interview for the 40th anniversary issue of Relix, Allman says, “This is it—this is the end of it.” He goes on to say, “45 years is enough and I want to do something else, anyway. Everyone has their own real good respective bands.” However, he leaves the door open to possible reunions down the road. “Whose to say? We may all get together every five years and just do one play at a time,” he admits

As previously reported, Allman Brothers Band guitarists Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks will leave the veteran group at the end of 2014. Allman will continue to tour with his recharged Gregg Allman & Friends project. The singer/organist recently expanded his solo project to include a full horn section and longtime Allman Brothers Band percussionist Marc Quiñones. Keyboardist Ben Stivers and bassist Ron Johnson (Warren Haynes Band, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe) also recently joined the outfit. For more on Allman’s future plans and recent tribute show, please pre-order the next issue of Relix.

Comments

Farewell Tour #1 January 28, 2014, 11:27:22

Suddenly this was all Gregg’s idea? Rooting for ya Gregg, but you better start recording new material and increasing the GA Band’s repretuar if you want to headline your own Peachfest.

jambandguy January 28, 2014, 12:37:30

How do you get “Greg’s idea” out of that? It says “when asked about”. he was asked a question and gave an answer. The fact that he wants to do other stuff anyway doesn’t suggest it was HIS idea. and why do I care?LOL, just cracks me up how people interpret things. Did he say he was headlining peachfest? Whatever…end of a very cool very fun era.

pm January 28, 2014, 12:38:24

Gregg, your done, but I have a feeling you’ll go the country music route to cash in.

beth January 28, 2014, 12:55:50

Beside the glaring literary errors in the article and mispellings in the comments it remains that all the ABB members have good projects to work on. Gregg won’t be turning to country (he added a horn section and percussion) and according to other interviews is getting ready to record an album of originals.
You all have great musical memories but it’s times to move on.
G-d Bless Gregg for going after it anew and enjoying it.

Doug Reddick January 28, 2014, 13:10:07

We KNEW this was coming what with Warren & Derek’s departure & Gregg wanting to furthur solo efforts.Kudos on all his efforts!! Stop while your “hittin’ the high note” Gregg!! And thanks for the meet & greet here in Greenville,SC last December.Hope to see ya soon again!

drasticjasper January 28, 2014, 13:16:56

repetoire lols it’s french

Farewell Tour #1 January 28, 2014, 13:19:05

Fair question. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, but Gregg told Rollingstone 3 weeks ago that Otiel was out of the band and he hoped he’d be back. Turns out he never left the band. That doesn’t leave me or many fans (just check their website) with the impression that Gregg knows what is going on (insert joke here re: Gregg Allman knowing about what is going on).
Then we hear at the Tribute show “I may have instigated it” and today’s “I wanted to do something else anyway”? As there is STILL No Official Word from the Allman Brothers on Derek leaving, this sounds like revisionist history from someone isn’t really sure what happen or what is going to happen with the band.
I grant you, maybe I’m wrong, but without ANY official statement from the band, it looks to me like posturing from Gregg.
I wish all of them tons of luck by the way

Johnny Bravo January 28, 2014, 13:45:22

makes sense; they should announce that the band is taking a break and hopefully they might decide to just commit to The Beacon shows in the near future. those guys play their asses off and should end on a high note.

ultimatelywhogivesaf#ck January 28, 2014, 14:02:06

HA HA..Too bad Dickey probly told you fuck off Gregg

Tim January 28, 2014, 14:33:13

Interesting. I heard that they have been auditioning guitar players, so I don’t think it’s over quite yet.

Jackson January 28, 2014, 14:56:47

Godspeed Brothers! Thanks for all the great summers! Peace.

yankweed January 28, 2014, 16:01:22

A few quick accurate comments regarding the ABB...Yes officially the band will “disband” end of 2014….Derek and Warren are officially leaving. and Oteil soughta was leaving also . he was to go play with Zac Brown… The Brothers are doing their annual March Madness at the Beacon… 14 shows in total….Then off to Wanee Festival mid april…the Peachfest in August in PA. and the Lockin fest i believe end of july?? I would imagine if scheduyled and health permits in the future we might see some special shows or a few one nighters… but the road does not go on forever.. see him while you can… I be in New Yawk for the Beacon, and Wanee…........

timmy January 28, 2014, 17:23:16

Here’s to Gregg and the mighty ABB. I’ll see as many shows as I can in this last legendary year. Fuck all the typical haters. This is one of the greatest bands in the history of rock music finally calling it quits. Show some respect you jaded old bastards. Just a few years back, I attended a spectacular two night ABB/WSP run in Chicago. The highlight was seeing Warren and Derek show up after the show and jam for hours at Buddy Guys club. Lockn’ will be awesome anyway, but this just adds something extra. I imagine the guests will be plentiful for ABB. Love you guys.

todd January 28, 2014, 18:28:33

Yeah sure you “ heard “ the ABB was auditioning new players. Because some two bit club player told people it was so and had his buddy post it on the ratdog board and the internet nerds spread the idea around. That clown was never getting auditioned and is certainly not sitting in at the Beacon like he claimed.

George January 28, 2014, 23:58:30

I hope they do Shout At The Devil when they come to MA.

Carlo January 29, 2014, 06:41:04

Totally agree with Timmy. Stop with all the cynism, negative comments and speculations. Let’s look back at 45 wonderful musical years from the best band ever. I’m living in Holland and try to get to the states this year to see the band for the last time.
Let’s show some respect to these guys!!!

KB January 29, 2014, 09:19:24

Yep, love the brothers always have always will. They were the ones that changed my life and made live music the powerful experience that it became for me. Thanks for everything and hope to get one more show in before the end.

JD January 29, 2014, 14:45:45

Where is the Announcemant of the SF BAY AREA Run of shows….
For the love of God!

Rick January 29, 2014, 17:41:24

Sucks for otiel who just turned down a huge payday with zac brown! Everyone should have been on same page with this! Seems like a shabby way to end this thing if u ask me!

robert cirincione January 30, 2014, 05:29:53

Mr. Allman, THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Johnson January 30, 2014, 10:01:19

A quick alternate theory about the “auditions” we all heard about. Maybe they DID happen. Maybe nobody made the cut. Maybe Gregg and the other original members, after playing with some people who were not Derek and Warren, decided it would be better to hang it up and go out strong, rather than continue with inferior replacements. If so, it’s one of the best decisions they ever made.

allman fan January 30, 2014, 19:31:48

I hope Gregg records some original music,he has been in a songwriting drought for a long time.

dk70 February 5, 2014, 12:23:13

Thank you ABB for being the greatest American Band of all time. I love the Dead just as much but these boys came to play and kick ass EVERY NIGHT! Duane Allman had no equal and neither does Derek Trucks. There have been so many countless hours of enjoyment this group have given legions of real music lovers. The soundtrack to every great party I have ever been to and some of the greatest shows ever to burn up a stage. I remember hearing Fillmore East and Eat a Peach at 100db courtesy of my old man and will never forget it!

Markg February 24, 2014, 07:28:13

The Road Goes On Forever…......just some forks to navigate.
Thanks for great times at the Beacon and Jones Beach.
Gregg Allman band, Gov’t Mule and Tedeschi Trucks Band is all good.
Peace.