Published: 2014/01/30

Bob Weir Wants to Bury the Hatchet for The Grateful Dead’s 50th Anniversary, Reveals Details on Other Projects

Bob Weir spoke about the Grateful Dead’s upcoming 50th anniversary in a new interview with Rolling Stone’s Benjy Eisen. Speaking about the potential for honoring the year, Weir told Eisen:

Let me start by saying that I’m already in my 50th year, so this is an ongoing process. We have to do something commemorative. I think we owe it to the fans, we owe it to the songs, we owe it to ourselves. If there are issues we have to get past, I think that we owe it to ourselves to man up and get past them. If there are hatchets to be buried, then let’s get to work. Let’s start digging. I’ll just say, to my delicate sensibilities, that it would be wrong to let that go by un-commemorated.

Weir also spoke about some of the projects that he’s currently working on, including a collaboration with The Yellowbirds’ Josh Kaufman and singer-songwriter Josh Ritter:

I’ve got a project I’m working on with Josh Kaufman [Yellowbirds] and Josh Ritter. We’re going towards a real cowboy aesthetic and we’re going to see where that takes us. We’ve been writing songs, with the idea of making a record. There will be cameras involved as well. It will be a TRI offering, with audio and video, because that’s where I live now. There’s that.

He also spoke about some of his other endeavors, such as an opera he’s “sort of” producing with Miranda Jones and a symphony project that will be similar to his 2011 shows with the Marin Symphony Orchestra:

I’ve got my symphony project. We’ve got some interest from some substantial symphonies. I’d like to do it in San Francisco. We’ve re-orchestrated what we played last time, and we’ve doubled the number of songs. With this project, one of the things we want to do is to break new ground for orchestral music. The Dead canon is a perfect place for it. Classical music has always been derived from folk music. The composers would go listen to the gypsies or whoever and then extrapolate from there. This is that same process. We want to keep it in the classical vein as opposed to in the pops vein where you just orchestrate a song. We want to orchestrate and take it for a little walk in the woods. That’s what we’ve done with the project so far, but we’re expanding the concept. Importantly, one of the things we want to do is we’re developing a couple of techniques with the notion that we want to get a symphony orchestra to improvise.

[Another project is] an opera that I’m sort of producing. There’s a young lady by the name of Miranda Jones who has written what started off as a couple of tunes that she wanted to record, and it turned into a musical theater piece. I’ve been coaching her to think of it as an opera. In an opera, as you know, the entire story development is done through libretto. The staging as well. But the stuff that’s being sung is always moving the story forward. You have to do your plot development through the sung lines. So I was encouraging her to think of it as an opera and then it turned into an opera.

As previously reported, Weir will kick off his tour with a reunited RatDog at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA on Friday, February 14.

Comments

JC January 30, 2014, 16:28:15

Time to bury the hatchet (i.e., there is money to be made).

Addie Corn January 30, 2014, 16:33:51

Imagine, having the band, together again!! Music to my ears!!!

Archivst January 30, 2014, 16:37:25

most importantly who will play Jerry’s part?

DJ Damage January 30, 2014, 16:38:55

Soooo….Buttfuckles Mc Twatt wants to bury the hatchet?? More like bury his nse in a bottle of Oxycontin. Or bury the tour proceeds in his backyard. Or bury himself under the drum riser during “Me and My Uncle”. Or bury his fist in Kreutzman’s face for kicking Matthew Kelly in the balls! Or, maybe BF Mc T should do us all a favor and bury his lifeless corpse in the shred of dignity he may discover in his dressing room closet. DJ OUT! Peace Y’all!!

John January 30, 2014, 16:42:53

Time to order up four fried chickens and a coke.

flower girl January 30, 2014, 16:44:56

hey DJ, so harsh. smoke a little pachooli and get your mellow on. i’ve seen all good people turn their heads each day I’m on my way. eat sweetbreads and get your glow on man. peace out fellow, be mellow yellow.

sup2u January 30, 2014, 16:57:45

let’s hope he’s referring to whatever came to pass between steve kimock and phil. kimock is the gunslinger whom the rest of the boys, and hornsby, would rally around.

Shut up wookies January 30, 2014, 16:58:20

I knew this story would be like gold for stupid wookies. We don’t need you and the hate you are pedaling DJ. Bury the hatchet all the way around. Bring out everyone for a great run. The core 4, TC, JK, Bruce, Kimock and even Donna. Ain’t no time to hate, barely time to wait.

Okay January 30, 2014, 16:59:10

Gotta laugh at the douche-nozzles who will write endless crap about the bands that helped invent this music (the Dead & the Allmans), and then forgive every tired old Phish jam.

rob January 30, 2014, 17:01:42

whatever happens, I will not attend any shows if warren or john K are playing the role of jerry. Kimock is the only guy I want playing Jerry’s parts

Jerryhickman January 30, 2014, 17:05:10

Warren will play Jerry’s parts before the 2009 tour the Dead said Warren is a official member ..I think they ought to take over the Swannne music park for a week and do one big run with a crap loud of sit ins talk about a party !!!! Well one can dream

Jairam January 30, 2014, 17:05:18

They already have their lead guitarist and keyboardist – just gather the drummers and open up with a four-night run at Bill Graham in SF. Would love to see Kimock in there somehow.

Terence January 30, 2014, 17:14:16

I too hope he is referring to kimock and Phil getting past their differences. An old guy like Phil should know that holding a grudge for too long is very, very bad for your liver

Lucky Jiverson January 30, 2014, 17:15:28

Kimock Or Haynes would be my guess for Jerry

jeff morris January 30, 2014, 17:15:43

warren is the man steve kimock is good but not better than warren by no means they need to bring back mickey and bill back for the 50th or its not worth doing the same ol thing then

lillypad January 30, 2014, 17:32:32

First of all Bob needs to reunite before any of this can take place, right?

spikenyc January 30, 2014, 17:39:34

Finally – at least he is up for it and acknowledging it. Like I’ve been saying since Jerry died, they should do a big show with the core 4 and have a revolving cast of players for Jerry on guitar and vocals.
Not necessarily having someone mimic Jerry, but some artists that can do the music justice. Kind of like when Freddie Mercury died and Queen did that show with other artists doing the vocals. Maybe Peter Shapiro can step up to the plate and make this happen?

MusicLover January 30, 2014, 18:08:08

I know that some haters are gonna hate on this but…John K should be the lead guitar player if The Dead come back. Warren makes it too Allman Brothersy, and Kimock doesn’t sing. John K has been playing Jerry’s licks since he was 12 years old. He hits the right notes in the right order at the right time. I don’t want some other guitar player to interpret what Jerry did with The Grateful Dead in his own way, with some Fender Strat, whammy bar, Wango Tango kinda crap. I want the groove to be the groove. Because he plays like Jerry, and sounds like Jerry, the band would be much better around him in the same way that Phil and Bobby were better in Further than either of them are in their own projects. Familiarity breeds cohesion.

dubs January 30, 2014, 18:35:26

So, do the drummers not care for the other two ? Exactly, what is the problem ?

Peachhead January 30, 2014, 18:37:50

No thanks Jairam, I’d much rather have Bruce or baracco rather than chimenti

DEAD 12 January 30, 2014, 18:46:16

no Jimmy Herring love,what up with that??

Joshua Katt January 30, 2014, 18:58:46

They should just stick with Furthur, the best thing since the GD. Actually better, they polished and put new energy into some of the old tired songs and brought back countless others.

norma stitz January 30, 2014, 19:33:39

still a cover band no matter what. i cant get that picture of bob lying on the stage playing out of my
head

john January 30, 2014, 19:48:10

Warren cannot lead this band. He doesn’t know all the licks. His lead lines were aimless in 2009 and he deserves to be replace by Kadlecik, who can actually lead this band to where it needs to be in order to be tight and efficient. John K. for lead guitar!

Team Jill January 30, 2014, 20:57:49

As long as Jill is making the set lists. The idea of you do one show, I’ll do one show, didn’t work last time. The set lists that Billy and Mickey put together are boring. I would be happy with a huge Furthur tour myself.

paul January 30, 2014, 22:11:24

john k

pm January 30, 2014, 22:12:00

Its all B.S. Jerry’s dead MOVE ON

pm January 30, 2014, 22:12:13

Its all B.S. Jerry’s dead MOVE ON

Deuce January 30, 2014, 22:26:49

BREAKING NEWS!!! Jerry was The Grateful Dead and when he died so did the band. Move along, that is all…

Deadicated January 30, 2014, 22:28:26

While I am a big fan of Warren Haynes I really think that Furthur with John Kadlecik has a sound more like the Grateful Dead than the band that was touring as “The Dead” with Warren on leads. I also like Steve Kimock but you can’t just have a guy who is a great improvisational guitarist sit in for Jerry. John K really gives the most authentic Jerry-like interpretation of the songs in my opinion.
And there are Dead songs that no one will ever properly capture the feel of the song like Jerry did no matter their musical skill. Stella Blue comes to mind.

Lady Luck January 30, 2014, 22:29:24

Maybe Bob will take the stage celebrating a 50 year anniversary without that mangy beard. Makes him look like something out of a 50’s zombie movie. Still love ya Bob.

dertyhippie January 30, 2014, 22:35:03

I really hope the core 4 can work things out and pull this off. This would be an amazing treat. You know our love will not fade away!!!!!! Forever Grateful!

dead January 30, 2014, 22:45:07

John K brings the vibe of the dead .. Warren makes it sound not like the dead …kimmock hajaha blah Furthur bring furthur forcthe fiftyth with the origianl drummers cant deny the beautiful sound

Michael Fabbri January 30, 2014, 23:08:29

Sounds fucking epic , just like the grateful dead ! kimock plays Jerry’s parts pretty awesome ( even tho he’s a total d bag ) , but Trey and Phil really connect , I hope big red can make a couple of those shows ! Either way , kudos to The grateful dead !

DJ Damage January 31, 2014, 01:02:30

Newsflash! The DJ got a call from Buttfuckles Mc Twatt and was asked to sit in on sitar. So it looks like we will be doing a little Ravi Scenker (Michael Schenker’s uncle) during “Space”. Personally, I can’t wait. A little rap dity I’ve worked up will be morphed into from “Sugaree” about my prowress in the ol’ chronic masturbation dept.! So, see you in the sheds this summer freakos, doing your crazy twirling, Jerry channeling and rancid grilled cheese boogies. Rock on!

Jdog January 31, 2014, 01:11:43

John K.

Winterland Willie January 31, 2014, 01:14:31

Hey DJ did you ever here of the adage if you can say anything nice don’t tell anything at all I think you are in need of some perfessional help and need to deal with your anger issues. My heart hurts for you and many of my best friendfs are odor challenged people with gray ponytails and dental isses but i don’t discriminate and neither shuld you. I suggest we get a recall campaing to kick you off the site unlessyou apologize th all the Jam Heads. Peace to you

Grateful M-Dawg January 31, 2014, 01:15:06

EVERYONE! It’s no secret, bobby announced back in like nov. or dec. that Kimrock would be filling the role of lead guitarist. Unfortunately I can’t make it to any of the shows but it makes me happy to know it’s going to happen

WhereHaveUbeenInAcave? January 31, 2014, 01:40:05

There is no question that John k will be playing. Who are you people? and what cave or planet did you get lost in and or hit your head on?. If the purpose of reuniting as the grateful dead and trying to play the songs like the grateful dead then John k is the only person on the planet that knows how to play the songs the way they were intended and evolved into to be played, like the grateful dead and Jerry who put countless years passion and energy into creating the songs detailed to perfection to make the songs what they are and true to themselves.not someone else’s distorted fantasy of how they perceive them and and only know how to play because they cant play all the parts the way they are designed to be played.

Johnny O January 31, 2014, 02:30:12

Wow Dj ,chill , I still miss them all even though some are still around ,some of the best years of my life revolve around the Dead , come on People now smile on your Brother everybody get together try to love one another right Now ! I spent 13 years in Prison & during Jerry’s death 1995 ,do you know how hard it is to cry in Prison ! Bring the band back !

Ted January 31, 2014, 03:58:54

John K. is the choice for the mission, but not “the only one on the planet.” Jeff Mattson would blow minds wide open with that line up… and still others lurking and waiting for their chance to carry the music futhur. The spirit of the dead is like Menudo now. Only Jerry hit the mark, just try to enjoy it.

bekemp January 31, 2014, 05:10:26

One big show, revolving lead guitars: Kimock, Haynes, Kaukonen, Hildago, Rosas, Larry Campbell, Paul Barrere, John Scofield, Derek Trucks, Jimmy Herring, make it celebratory fun.

Frisby January 31, 2014, 06:58:14

God I hope it’s not Kimock. He is seriously overrated. He had a 70-minute break in one of his shows in Japan. The dude from DSO is much, much better.

No! January 31, 2014, 08:27:20

Jeff pevar is the man. No one ever remembers him. Kimock would be my first choice. He would probably be Jerry’s first choice.

Bill Harriman January 31, 2014, 09:02:17

It’s going to be the core four with Jeff Chimenti and John Kadlecik. Doesn’t that make the most sense?

Orange January 31, 2014, 10:16:18

How about the guy from the Ham and Eggs Band in ‘Cuse?

ak. January 31, 2014, 11:03:09

Stu Allen! Vocally and musically Jerry. Get him on board!

Brian January 31, 2014, 11:25:14

John k way better than kimock. WTF. You guys are way off

Ramie January 31, 2014, 11:27:45

Josh Kaufman is THE MAN! Looking forward to the cowboy songs record!

me January 31, 2014, 12:07:18

Not the biggest fan of even the original GD but I do appreciate them and what they mean to the scene… from my point of view, and after seeing Dead shows and all the incarnations that followed, I love Warren but his style is not that of Jerry, Kimmock is a great guitarist and can reach the Jerry feel sometimes but JK is the closest to really reproducing the sound and feel but sometimes to a fault which is why I think some peops like to call Furthur a cover band. I would vote for JK but as I said, I’m not the biggest fan this is just my observation as a neutral party… as for DJ Damage… while he does come across as douche for all of his cheap shots… you gotta love a guy who connects Ravi and Michael Schenker… if only the Scorpions had Ravi sit in with them they may have never sold old writing love ballads and stuck with their early years of psychedelic hard rock!

pm January 31, 2014, 12:50:21

At least half of the surviving members have some integrity and Warren should stop wasting time playing with Phil Hesh.

MalcolmO January 31, 2014, 13:27:16

The best music would be the core 4 with Hornsby and Kimock, the most creative and inventive music to blow thru yer mind like a tie-dyed breeze. Wow. But Chimenti and John K. are the most likely probably. Kimock is a transcendental player. The right choice for the setting. It’s not about filling Jerry’s shoes; it’s about a lead guitarist bringing his own shoes into a setting which is otherwise the Grateful Dead (or the Grateful Phoenix, as I often characterize it).

Rather have Furthur January 31, 2014, 13:45:27

I am going to say something that some will think is blasphemy. I don’t like drums and space and never have. I always thought it was a poor excuse for a bathroom break and a weird novelty. Billy and Mickey will always be great in my mind, but I think Russo is a better drummer for the sound in 2014. I hope they bust out a short, nostalgic run that includes everyone possible and then bring Furthur back in full. I was bored to tears during the “We Elected Obama” tour of 09 and I have never said that at a Grateful Dead, Furthur or PL&F show. See you in Vegas for 4/20 Phil!

Afro January 31, 2014, 13:48:31

Kimock please!!!

Luke January 31, 2014, 15:22:22

Somebody finally said it…thanks MalcolmO!

Doc January 31, 2014, 15:45:47

As a veteran of 100+ shows with Jerry I personally despised the idea that they would go on without him. For that reason I did not attend any Dead related shows for about 4 yrs. after his passing. When I did start to attend various Dead projects it seemed to me they were floundering. No one was taking a song by the balls so to speak. I’m a huge Warren fan and I liked what he was doing in ’09 as far as putting his interpretation on the songs, which I like to think that’s the way Jerry would have wanted it, as opposed to someone playing his licks note for note, but that’s just me. With JK, Further seems like any other dead cover band I see, with someone mimicking Jerry, only with much less spunk. Not being a hater, but for me personally Further sounds slow and sloppy…Not taking away from their personal accomplishments over the years by any means. I REALLY dig the fact that Mickey and Billy are the 2 hold outs. They both have moved on and are doing new interesting things with their own projects….I would have much more respect for Phil and Bobby if they focused on new and different things. I know, for the folks who never had the chance to see Jerry, this is all you’ve got and I appreciate that fact. If it’s workin’ for you thats awesome! Let the songs live on…I go to these shows now to see and hang with old friends and occasionally a song will really grab me, but for my musical fix there are alot of great bands out there playin’ alot of great music…...Sidenote: for musiclover…. I read an in depth interview with JK back when he was with Dark Star and he grew up idolizing progressive rock guitarists. Alex Lifeson from Rush was his very favorite. He learned all his leads and licks note for note and modeled his playing after him. He didn’t hear GD music til much later.

Funkjunky January 31, 2014, 17:05:02

Well this kinda blows. Best lineup they had was the current lineup. Russo is the man. John K has been my favorite in Furthur as well. This lineup was fresh. My favorite lineup to date is the current. Hope this changes. I’d grately miss John K in the lineup.

blah January 31, 2014, 17:25:40

I know the reunion potential is the big story here, but is anyone else really intrigued by this project with Josh Ritter and the Yellowbirds dude?

Mook a locka January 31, 2014, 20:41:27

I think either Jorma or (and I am serious) Lou Edmonds who is currently with Public Image Limited.

Mook a locka January 31, 2014, 20:51:27

Sorry, Imeant Lu Edmunds. He would be great for the GD reunion, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLJGpiQlQU

DEAD 12 January 31, 2014, 21:11:50

How about Gregg Allman on keys? If we are going all out!!! Jerry is gone

MattyB January 31, 2014, 22:19:50

Gregg Allman?? What? Have you heard him lately….he would never work in the Dead…I love him but he is not GD….also John K clearly is the best choice For Jerry’s part…I mean damn….dude does everything except look like Jerry….my hope would be if they did do a reunion tour of some kind and switched out the drummers we would have Bobby, Phil, John K, Billy K, Mickey, and Jeff On keys…then maybe they could do a couple nights where Hornsby would sit in…but the Furthur project is by far the best GD since Jerry passed. As much as Warren is a rock god and my all time favorite musician he doesn’t fit like John K does. Gregg Allman on Keys in a Dead reunion….that is ridiculous….:) Just my 2 pennies worth….all I know is I hope Furthur comes back soon!!!!

Sixftr February 1, 2014, 10:24:01

I’m gonna sing, a hundred verses in ragtime
I know this song, it ain’t never gonna end
Gonna march you up and down the local county line
Take you to the leader of the band!!! W Gr8 enthusiasm the followers of the band yearn for what they cannot have, Jerry, Live!!! Yet, imitation is the gr8test form of flattery. A 50th Anniversary celebration w 4 n whomever, will b the heart of gold band. All one will need is to close their eyes n feel the vibes, of those all around, then get up n fly away fly away. I can hardly wait :))))

gypsydavey February 1, 2014, 20:15:38

Last time they toured as the Dead was way lamer than any Furthur show I saw. I liked Warren with Phil & Friends,but somehow he doesn’t mesh with Bobby. Also, Russo acts and drums like he wants to be there, not so sure about Billy and Mickey

Bdjr February 1, 2014, 23:00:42

Obviously it will be done with “hologram” jerry

Michelle Rosenbrough February 2, 2014, 02:22:00

I’m just a fan from birth I snuck off and started seeing the Grateful Dead when I was in high school I was so fortunate to see Jerry bc I graduated high school in ’95 My first show was at 14 I continued to see Bobby with the Other zones and was on stage and Phil whispered something into Bobby’s ear and he obviously said something about me bc Bobby looked at me and smiled and Phil winked then next thing I know some big guy put me in the front row. Whenever the tour s if I can work as a roadie I will put stuff together carry amps whatever and I can sell ice to an Eskimo so any product u want sold I bet I can sell it and sell it out. I have always wanted to go on the road with the Grateful Dead as a roadie but I was too young I am still young ky sweetheart and whoever is in charge plz give me a chance to go I won’t disappoint. I can do anything a man can do and more so whoever is in charge please Facebook me Michelle Rosenbrough or call 6066157372 not married no kids plz plz

Sheila Pinion February 2, 2014, 12:41:55

Please please please everyone joined together

Bosco Morgan February 2, 2014, 23:48:24

I will say from the get go I just can’t dig what is furthur. I paid my dues checking out the band from when Jerry had black hair and stood between phil and weir. I have never thought of going to see furthur and never will. Phil and weir as well as billy and mickey are musicians that is what they do pretty fucking good i might add.I saw phil and some people open for Dylan in ’99 and all they did was jam but with no form at all. So i backed away until Phil and larry campbell his wife ,jackie greene ,molo and i really dug what they were doin. This cat that does an imitation of Garcia is pretty pathetic. Play Garcia’s music in YOUR WAY NOT HIS. I find not even a little enjoyment from what i have heard on tape it sounds so fucking plastic. I thought after Brent passed Jerry fell even deeper into boredom and you could hear it that is if he turned his guitar up so you could hear it. I think the best move would have been after brent passed take a year or two off and after that come back and if it felt good keep it up. I gotta say the last show i saw that was pretty fucking great was when clarence showed up at shoreline in ’89. The Grateful Dead just fell apart when brent died and garcia’s could not leave that persian alone and you know what i cannot blame him. That stuff just puts you in a place that you never ever wanna leave and jerry being who he was, there was nobody gonna give him a hard time about anyfucking thing.

Bosco Morgan February 3, 2014, 00:05:37

! more thing Who are these people that are saying this guy or that guy should play jerry’s parts. DO YOU PEOPLE HEAR YOURSELVES? NOBODY CAN PLAY GARCIA’S PART’S. WHY IS IT EVEN TALKED ABOUT?

Joshua Katt February 3, 2014, 10:59:56

@Rather have Furthur He said it all, perfectly…

earl hopkinz February 3, 2014, 16:41:48

Yawn. just another money grab aimed at all those crusty, jaded deadheads to have something to complain about. I will be on phish tour where some new music is being made and not some rehashed, tired garbage again.

Classic February 4, 2014, 01:15:53

And no one gives a shit about the article they are responding too. Getting a symphonic orchestra to improvise…and none of you know-it-alls even read past the first paragraph.
Every one is so concerned about their own opinion….while something more historic than a reunion could be happening.
A friggin orchestra improvising….and none of you give a hoot.
Good night!

heady jedi February 4, 2014, 12:53:23

Jimmy Herring filling in for Jerry would be a real treat.

heady jedi February 4, 2014, 12:56:02

Jimmy Herring filling in for Jerry would be a real treat.

Barry February 4, 2014, 15:57:11

How much to get in.???, other then G.D tix.. Come to New England..

Otto February 4, 2014, 17:56:16

“...Ravi Scenker (Michael Schenker’s uncle) “ LOL...this made me laugh! Good one!

Otto February 4, 2014, 18:02:15

How about they really mix it up? Let’s say James Hettfield, Scott Gorham or Steve Jones maybe?
Or maybe they can fore go guitar all together and get someone like Eddie Jobson to play electric violin instead?
Now that I have you outraged, who has my miracle for this tour?

jerky smith February 5, 2014, 16:36:45

You guys should see my band. We are called “Slow Jerry”. We only do Jerry songs that come in at or below 60 bpm: Stella Blue, Must of Been the Roses, Ship of Fools…We come in with our T shirts and CDs and pack the place! Slow Jerry! Yeah man! Remember the name: Slow Jerry. htttp://www.slowjerry.com

The Truth February 5, 2014, 23:32:45

If this is going to be a real depiction of The Grateful Dead – John K. cannot be denied this role. If you close your eyes, it’s hard to make the distinction between him and Jer Bear. Throw in his similar vocal style and it’s a no-brainer. He’s earned it.

dk70 February 6, 2014, 10:42:08

John K does a pretty good job imitating Jerry and Jeff Mattson does it even (way) better. Having said that though, it strikes me as odd to replace a completely unique player like Garcia with someone who is trying to sound almost exactly like him.

dekan February 6, 2014, 11:28:28

so can anyone supply a link to what this issue is between the 4 core? or just explain it? as for a 50th, i’ve seen further a few times. not a jk fan, either with my eyes open or closed. he just…bores me.

gratefulted February 6, 2014, 15:41:40

One of my least favorite Dark Star shows was at Lehigh U. when Steve Kimock sat in. Even John K told me ahead of time it was going to be different.

912-8-7e-273-4 February 6, 2014, 18:32:55

Id like to see bobby bury the hatchet into DJ Damages skull… now that’d be a show

speedlimit February 7, 2014, 12:30:03

Core 4 plus Kimock and Hornsby

hasbeen February 7, 2014, 18:07:18

I can’t wait to see the shit hit the fan when they poach Mattson away from DSO after doing the same thing with JK lol. ( Does JK run back to DSO and ask for his old job back?).....@Doc- You’re right…Further is slow and sloppy. Give me a DSO show, with Mattson out front, any day.

wookin shady February 8, 2014, 16:30:01

Im telling youpeople we need a robot jerry…think of how mucth more spending cash weir and his brats can pocket if they dont have to pay jk KIMMOCK!!

Rockin Chuck February 9, 2014, 22:40:20

It’s got to be John K. He can do it like Jerry and mix is own style in the solos. Billy & Micky or Joe, Jeff & Hornsby on keys, hell yea I want ticket.

Brian Martin February 10, 2014, 10:38:35

Lesh,Weir,Hart,Kruetzman,Chimenti and Kimock is the only choice:)

jin Bin Jin February 12, 2014, 12:29:03

OK How about- Bobby Bingo and the Run-n-see, Sugaree, Might-as-well-be-me, Stagger Lee, Bobby McGee, Yes-it’s-me, Price-for-bein-free, Cass-idy, don’t-worry-about-me, Heros.

Dick February 14, 2014, 15:08:37

No one likes Barry Sless as part of the extended family?

Derek February 18, 2014, 15:11:48

I do not know what to think of this 50 year thing. Is it really an anniversary? No – The GD has not played a show as The Grateful Dead since Jerry died. So it really is the bands name that has lasted 50 years. I was fortunate enough to go to plenty of shows 89-95, but have not seen any other of the boys projects. I have heard some shows, but they seemed to have no energy and nothing really stood out. I do not think no matter who “plays Jerry” this will not hold up to real fans expectations or the vibe. Celebrate in Golden Gate with a free concert and celebrate the home for jamband music.

Peter Corcillo February 25, 2014, 15:00:27

They should get.one of the few people on this planet who.could play jerry’s guitar,mr eric clapton. He can play anything

Gaia417 March 19, 2014, 22:44:58

Warren can kiss my ass. Hopefully they get it together.