Published: 2014/03/09

Phil Lesh Covers Phish at Terrapin Crossroads

Phil Lesh continued a four-night stand at his own Terrapin Crossroads last night with a select group of Friends including Jackie Greene, Furthur’s John Kadlecik and Joe Russo along with Jason Crosby. Celebrating the second anniversary of the Lesh-curated venue, the band dug into an extensive cover repertoire including Phish’s “Free,” which debuted in the second set.

Guitarist John Kadlecik handled vocals on the tune, which he also does when the band that bears his name covers the song. Additional cover choices throughout the show included an opening pairing of “Hard to Handle” and “Second That Emotion” before the band dug into more familiar Dead material such as “Althea” and “Beat It On Down the Line,” among others.

Lesh of course has a long history with Phish material, covering “Wolfman’s Brother” and “Ghost” with various iterations of Friends as well as curating the Phil Lesh & Phriends project featuring Trey and Page.

Here’s a look at the setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Phil Lesh & Friends
Terrapin Crossroads, San Rafael, CA

Set I: Hard To Handle, Second That Emotion, Sitting On Top Of The World, Althea, Beat It On Down The Line, Foolish Heart, Midnight Hour

Set II: Cryptical Envelopment > Dark Star > Free > Drums > Space > Dark Star > Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain, Morning Dew > I Know You Rider

Enc: Sugaree

Band: Phil Lesh, Jackie Greene, John Kadlecik, Joe Russo, Jason Crosby

Source: Philzone.org

Comments

Phil Z. One March 9, 2014, 14:57:43

Wow what a great write up, the reviewer really knocked this one out of the park…

jonny March 9, 2014, 15:21:58

phil has officially jumped the shark covering that frat shit band

Wtf March 9, 2014, 15:32:36

First Phil feeds us spoiled milk like the FamiĀ£y band but now he starts trying to be cool with some Phish after seemingly crapping on the Rythym Devils for the run. I have had enough of Midnight North and some ramshackle lineups to satiate a prepaid contract of the type a high end street walker would verbally agree to. At what point is the art just a digital currency for him to convert to bit coins for Graham’s inheritance. It could be argued Terrapin Crossroads is just a vehicle to dodge taxes and promote Phil’s kids. Support your local Dead coverbands because this has Shit Open and Melt.

rob March 9, 2014, 16:19:51

hard to believe everyone is shit talking on phil for doing what he has always done.

dax March 9, 2014, 16:47:24

Why so many haters? They’re just having fun.

Tom March 9, 2014, 17:01:09

God bless Phil Lesh—keeping it going in his 70’s. I’m sure the crowd there got a big kick out of the Phish cover. Now jonny and WTF get back under your rock!

Joshua Katt March 9, 2014, 18:27:56

Yeah, I’d be more upset about the Resurrection of Drums and Space. But God Bless Phil for doing what he wants and does after 50 years…

SK March 9, 2014, 18:34:23

WTF, chill man…find the spirit, let the man do what he wants, you don’t have to listen. Anger run amok.

Black Peter March 9, 2014, 20:24:52

I was at all the shows. I can’t tell you how good the music was, besides drums space and that Phish crap. The crowd was very kind, besides a fight in the parking lot after night two if I recall properly. Apparently some deal went down with a tire iron over some claims about the potency of something a guy bought. Don’t stick your neck out and make claims you cannot back these days. I seriously think I drank all the goddamn cognac and sprite in that sob this weekend. We were out back nipping some high end special edition Seagrams live gin out of a band members flask pre show. Tasty stuff. I didn’t even recall the drive home any of the nights which to me expresses a kick ass time. I’d say I have a good recollection of the first sets and the sound was great. I’m furious at Phil for the symbolism of the weekend. I felt like a walking ATM at the shrine of the Corporate elephant. I saw things I never have before after 25 years on the road actively. There was something going on this weekend in the water and I don’t know why I was even born anymore. The music really took me to a very dark realm that will take months to climb out of. I am not sure I will make it around.

Great article!?! March 9, 2014, 23:03:03

Who was the percussionist?

Percussionist March 9, 2014, 23:13:14

Hey keep your mouth shut was his exact name got it buddy. You’re asking questions you don’t even want the answers to. Let’s all pretend this drum space fiasco never happen this weekend and Mickey Hart is the drumming God we all believe he is. If you want to find out the other drummer is maybe you need to get on midnight North’s Facebook page and like them first.

Wharf Rat March 10, 2014, 09:35:55

Well it was a caustic time the other night at the Roads. I ran the Wharf Rat lot team for quite a while in the 80s and early 90s and was really looking to hook up with our friend who just got out of Passages. We thought what better way to spend your first day out of Passages than at a loud tiny show in a bar with all of your friends. We got deep into Cryptical Star and we all split up for some dancing room. This herky jerky guitar line came through the mist like an African Silverback and Free erupted from Jerry’s guitar. It was honestly confusing, and represented a sharp turn in the night. The mood of the room got downright furious. This guy was booing all of free right near us and as we had split up for dancing room I had no real solution to knowing if he had a weapon or was alone, so I didn’t immediately attack him. As the set wore on tempers flared. I saw a drink get thrown at a pregnant lady and then through the dark I saw my buddy sleeping on the ground. I know it had been a long month after Passages. I walked over to him and I just saw shot glasses all around him and he smelled of DMT. I guess we should have maybe gone out to dinner, but we all love Phil even when he plays Phish. My friend left the show with a guy to go see his photo collection. I should probably check in on him. His tolerance was that of a teenager I guess post Passages Malibu. Phil is going strong, but there was something weird in the air.

burning_beard March 10, 2014, 09:59:21

the whole scene has jumped the shark.
it’s way too cool for school now.

Chill The Fuck Out March 10, 2014, 11:02:39

Haters gonna Hate. God forbid Phil play a song by some friends of his.

GR8TPHL March 10, 2014, 11:53:00

Got hate in your heart? Let it out! Geez.

Geo March 10, 2014, 12:04:40

Phish rules

Jkid March 10, 2014, 12:09:22

Thoughts on previous posts- Phil has the right to play whatever he wants (ABBA, Beastie Boys, Led Zep, J-Z, Prince, etc). The man is in his 70’s, was a founding member/survivor of a band that has influenced numerous people over the years (mid 60s- present), and it his show/restaurant/bar. Expect to spend money when you go out. I don’t go to a show/bar/restaurant not expecting to pay for the services rendered. Warf Rat ur buddy who had just d/c from addiction treatment was already in the relapse process knowing that he was going to a show where there is a bar/other substances readily available even before he left the facility. Having worked in the addictions field I truly believe in the the idea of triggers (people, places, things). His chances of maintaining sobriety were slim to none once he entered the concert environment. Just my two cents and have a Grateful Day!!!

Cosmic charlie March 10, 2014, 12:56:12

Funny to see all these haters. Im not even the biggest phish fan. You’ll be a lot happier of a person if you let go of all your expectations.

Chuck March 10, 2014, 12:59:06

LOL at everyone hating on Phish while seeing a GD cover band. I love Phil don’t get me wrong but you deadheads are so pathetic, sorry we still get to enjoy Trey cause he could get his shit together unlike Jerry, who was a drug addled scumbag

Dude March 10, 2014, 13:13:30

I’m shocked by the level of ignorance on this comment thread. Isn’t one of the best parts of the scene surrounding either Furthur of Phish the community aspect of it? I know we’re all judgemental douchebags when it comes to the music, but there’s a whole other level of hate going on here.

Free March 10, 2014, 13:41:42

Rock on Phil! Phil is not the only 70+ year old covering Free these days https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xxDAk3vjO7c

Jesse March 10, 2014, 14:43:00

i saw Phil and Friends play Sample in a Jar back in like 2000 when they toured with Bob Dylan, so this isn’t something new for y’all to whine about. Just some good players playing some good tunes and having a good time.

Richard Widmark March 10, 2014, 18:33:00

Tire irons, drinks thrown at a pregnant lady, a guy smelling like DMT etc, etc.! WTF ever happened to going to a show to enjoy the music anyway??

Elvis Parsley March 10, 2014, 18:42:25

Black Peter, I hope you were not the one who drove home after your kickass time.

Hey Richard March 10, 2014, 19:53:35

Don’t judge man or you may end up smelling like DMT

Richard Widmark March 10, 2014, 20:34:26

Not judging “Hey Richard” just commenting. You must have been the guy with the tire iron.

Hey Richard March 10, 2014, 22:02:07

I just don’t think anybody should bad mouth DMT. It’s not that guys fault his buddy was a drunk. The DMT has pluses and minuses like the smell. They counterbalance like a pendulum on an eighteenth century Dutch clock. He probably could have used a quick pop of yak or some liquid to be straight.

Pregnancy Excuse March 10, 2014, 22:07:09

I don’t think any of us have sympathy for the angry pregnant women at shows who are jonesing for a tug of liquor or a spike of smack. They get this bullshit attitude like, “Don’t bump into me I’ll get you kicked out.” A thrown drink to straighten out a situation is a nice way of doing something, when you can’t legally just beat a guy or gal through the floor. She probably took it from a few guys backstage and felt bad about possible damage from the pounding.

Nottreehuggin wasteoflife March 11, 2014, 02:39:38

Ya’ll are pathetic

Wally Gator March 11, 2014, 08:06:10

Whatever happened to going to a show to enjoy the music and commenting on this website about that??.

mb March 12, 2014, 22:07:03

wow. What a weird thread. Always amazes me to hear Dead fans bashing Phish or Phish fans bashing the Dead. They are both awesome in their own way. Free is a good song. Why shouldn’t Phil play it. He’s still having fun. People need to lighten-up.

larry! March 12, 2014, 22:39:46

If you are taking any of this seriously, the joke is on you.
Y’all be cool now,
larry!

Noodles March 13, 2014, 14:16:52

When the fake posters start trashing a pregnant gal you know it’s all just one big prank. Oh gosh. The weirdos must all be from the middle of nowhere any of the runs will be. And as to spending cash – you folks in San Fran pay 1mm for a broke down palace … Bedroom. So I think you all can afford a night out? Thanks. Feel so much better now, keep up all the BS for the ad revs. I guess it’s no longer 1984?

tube row March 15, 2014, 09:32:35

funny thread everyone. even though i’m a full out deadhead, i’d usually rather have spikes thru my eyes than hang out with stinky jambands folks like y’all. but a saw a tweet about another thread here that mentioned Bob Forrest of Thelonoius Monster and John Doe of X and next thing i know i surf to this. y’all are very entertaining. too bad you’re such mellow hippies and haters, all at once. like if sean hannity took acid and followed phish around. anyway, my .02 is that phil playing phish makes sense – he covers everything. what would make more sense would be if phish covered the dead or zappa on one of their halloweens instead of avoiding it to keep their originality cred up. i met the guys in rancid once and they answered my obnoxious snarky question about how they could possibly look at themselves in the mirror making money doing such a blatant buzzcocks ripoff and two of them said simultaneously ‘we never listened to the buzzcocks’. liars. all of them. oh no. i’ve become a wookie hater like the rest of y’all. time to go back to the ween forum for some brownness. peace and love, peace and love.

Joe Schmoe from the Alamo March 16, 2014, 04:13:37

People are crazy…
And times are strange…
I’m locked in tight…
But out of range…
I used to care but…
Things have changed! Hey Chuck! You must leave now!
Take what with you…