Published: 2014/03/12

Butch Trucks Misses His First Allman Brothers Band Show

Photo: Dino Perrucci

As the Allman Brothers Band resumed their annual Beacon Theatre run last night, they would do so without the familiar contributions of drummer Butch Trucks. Warren Haynes announced during the show that Trucks was feeling “under the weather” and would miss the first show in his tenure, becoming the final original member to miss a show. (Gregg Allman sat out the final night of the Beacon run in 2012 and fellow co-founder Jaimoe was fired from the band for a period in the early ’80s and also missed a stretch of shows in the ’90s due to back problems.)

Filling in throughout most of the show for Butch was his nephew Duane. Percussionists Marc Quinones and Jaimoe also assisted Duane on the drum kit during various points in the show. Bobby Allende, a frequent collaborator with Quinones, also appeared several times during the show to aid in the drumming and percussion effort.

While the lineup was certainly different, once again the band relied on very few guests as Beacon mainstays The Juke Horns sat in once again for the closing stanza of the first set as well as the middle portion of the second set which featured a cover of “The Weight.” The group also pulled out their first take on “Please Call Home” since The Allman Brothers Band’s 40th anniversary show on March 26, 2009.

The band will take the stage tonight for the fourth show of the run before a pair of shows this weekend.

Here’s a look at the setlist from last night:

Allman Brothers Band, March 11, 2014, Beacon Theatre, New York, NY

Set I: Don’t Want You No More, It’s Not My Cross to Bear, Done Somebody Wrong, End of the Line, Who’s Been Talking, True Gravity, Every Hungry Woman, Please Call Home*, Stand Back*, Same Thing*

Set II: No One to Run With, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Come On in My Kitchen*, The Weight*, Les Brers in A Minor

Enc: One Way Out

Notes: *Juke Horns

Comments

Joshua Katt March 12, 2014, 11:07:37

Gone are the days of 3 hour plus shows without a break! Glad I am missing these short shows of obscure songs…

Mack Enack March 12, 2014, 11:27:07

Hate to say it, but last night’s show was a disappointement. They definitely missed Butch, but the band seemed lacluster, as was the set list. Long intermission, short second set. Not a great way to say goodbye to the Beacon.

Matt March 12, 2014, 11:27:25

Too many people sitting down. Always has been a problem at Brother’s shows. C’mon now, stand up & rock out y’all !!!

deadbugman March 12, 2014, 11:32:30

glad you’re not going Joshua that way your seat can go to someone that appreciates this great band

Michael J Phillips March 12, 2014, 12:39:19

If you aint standing up and showing your respect to these legends, you are either dead,dumbasses or should go back to Boston. ABB Lives forever. Run what you brung or go home. No rightful minded ABB lover would say such crap. I saw in 69,70 5 or 6 times in small clubs that only held about 250 people and I beeen in love ever since, So kiss my ABB loving ass and quit ye whining.

hashtag sativa March 12, 2014, 13:00:31

according to alan paul, author of the latest book on the allman brothers, butch missed a gig on a double bill with the grateful dead. apparently bill kruetzmann had to fill in when the dead road crew dosed butch w/o his consent. hate to bone the relix crew on this but is alan paul wrong?

kim d. March 12, 2014, 13:03:22

I’m hoping Butch makes it tonight. Real ABB fans aren’t there for the “hit” songs and we are up on our feet all night long! We don’t need or want anyone there who isn’t absolutely thrilled to be there! I can’t believe this is the end of the Beacon shows and that I was only able to score tix for one night. Desperately wanna be at the last show!

Soul Stu March 12, 2014, 13:11:54

All you folks hating on this show & setlist don’t know shit! Duane sounded fantastic & Derek was definitely vibing off his Lil Bro’s energy. They busted out Please Call Home which was awesome & first Les Brers of beacon run. It was a good show.

Alan Paul March 12, 2014, 13:21:57

Happened to see this. I didn’t say butch missed that show. I said he couldn’t finish it because he got dosed. Bill k sat in down the stretch.

Alan Paul March 12, 2014, 13:21:58

Laf March 12, 2014, 13:46:25

I was at the show last night….....and it was fantastic! Duane Trucks did a great job…......was a long intermission and then my buddies car got towed…...didn’t get home til 3 am…..but the show was worth it!

Benny Leonard March 12, 2014, 14:35:30

The show Alan Paul is commenting on I believe I once read an interview with Butch where he stated Bill K. looked like Jesus to him,unaware at the time he had been dosed.Butch thought it was a good idea to give up his seat to that guy.

RK March 12, 2014, 15:21:25

Joshua Katt, It wasn’t a short show, it was over 2 1/2 hours. The ABB rarely played a 3+ hour show without a break even in their prime. As far as obscure songs go, I guess you aren’t overly familiar with the ABB’s discography.

jambandguy March 12, 2014, 16:16:27

Jesus H! Bitch bitch bitch. Don’t friggin’ go then! Maybe then I can get ONE ticket to one of 11 shows even though I tried 1 second past 10 o’clock 1rst day of sale. That sucks…and hey. I’m old. I have to sit down once in a while…although I have no idea what that has to do with being form Boston. We love ABB and apparently they love us…every year…and best DVD show. And if you want to see ramblin’ man or sing along with the show check out the next Buffet show. Otherwise LEAVE MY TICKETS ALONE!

Pat March 12, 2014, 16:20:48

Paul: what do you mean by ‘dosed?’ I thought they got past all that mess years ago…

Tim March 12, 2014, 17:14:24

The ABB doesn’t know the meaning of a bad show. Of all the times over the years that I have seen them never once did the word bad come to mind. If you are a dedicated fan nothing is too obscure. Warren and Derek could play Jingle Bells and I would be amazed!

Tim March 12, 2014, 17:14:26

Ann Clifford March 12, 2014, 17:27:59

Absolutely AWESOME concert last nite!!!!! Great to hear tunes not played as frequently as others!!! LOVE ABB!!!!!!

Shaun March 12, 2014, 19:36:43

Pat, if they’re talking about a show that was on a double bill with the Grateful Dead, it’s pretty safe to say it was “years ago.” As in, the early 70s?

John Murray March 12, 2014, 20:37:28

I’m going next Tuesday and Wednesday. Totally psyched! I’ve been to maybe 30-35 shows at the Beacon over the past 15 years. But, i have to agree with Joshua Katt, in that I don’t want to hear obscure, lame songs. I want the old tried and true songs from Beginnings, Live at Fillmore East, and Eat A Peach, et al.

RK March 12, 2014, 21:58:57

John Murray, They played 7 of the 17 songs from those 4 albums you mentioned (if by Beginnings you mean their first two albums combined) and the rest of the songs aren’t that obscure and definitely aren’t lame. They aren’t a greatest hits band, especially when they are doing 14 shows in the same building in month. Funny how people complain that they don’t mix it up enough and some complain that they mix it up too much. You can’t win on the internet.

Angelo Ruiz March 13, 2014, 10:20:46

Is there still hope that Dicky Betts will show for guest spot or is that just a dream that will never come true???

BRIAN COSMAN March 13, 2014, 11:45:12

We were at the 3/11 show,my wifes first show.Duane filled in nicely,Derek and Warren looked like they were having a good time.Some of the songs we didn’t know,but what the hell, I am happy that she got to see the ABB!!!!

Humprey Bogart March 13, 2014, 14:15:15

Angelo,70 year old Dickey is enjoying watching them limp to the finish line.

Doug March 13, 2014, 16:41:58

People that call some songs “obscure” are probably the same ones that sit next to me at every show yelling WHIPPING POST..

Steve March 21, 2014, 14:56:40

I was not there, but so happy to see the setlist. They can do no wrong. As for those burnouts- Matt, Michael Phillips, and I’m sure there were others- we don’t pay our hard-earned money to look at the backs of your heads while you block our view. This is not one of those pathetic general admission standing shows, nor is it by a dance music band. Simply put, the tickets are for seats. Seats are for sitting.

Keef fan March 22, 2014, 14:23:43

Michael J. Phillips. Guess what pal … here in Boston we love the ABB. Of the 15 or so shows I’ve seen over the last 25 years ( since ’89 ), none have evr been less than packed. Insult Podunk, or Peoria, but read Alan Paul’s book. Boston has been big on the ABB, and vice versa, since ’69 when they stayed at Don Law’s house. We love our Allmans, and hope they let us enjoy them this summer for on elast bash …