Published: 2014/03/26

You Can Intern For Relix

Relix Magazine is currently seeking editorial interns to work in its New York offices this summer. Though internships are unpaid, interns will gain valuable hands on experience working on Relix Magazine, Relix.com and Jambands.com. All interns must be able to commute to Relix’s Manhattan offices 3 days per week. The internship can be used for college credit when applicable.

Interested candidates should email our Relix Interns account at interns@relix.com with the subject Summer Internship.

Comments

willie the pimp March 26, 2014, 17:13:07

I went through several lengthy interviews, (phone and in-person), and was hired for the gig contingent on passing their drug test. Guess what? They said I failed the test and they took the job away from me! They said I tested “negative”.

Bob Moore March 26, 2014, 20:51:35

Seriously,RELIX has drug tests??Sure wouldn’t want anyone high reporting on festivals and such.

Blah March 26, 2014, 22:31:11

To any prospective interns out there: Relix does not require drug tests. I know this for a fact. Pretty sure willie is just making shit up.

blah March 26, 2014, 22:32:15

Oh haha, I’m an idiot. Didn’t catch the joke willie was making, my bad. For what its worth, I’m pretty sure they don’t require you to smoke weed either, but it seems more likely than the other way around.

Sirtripsalot March 26, 2014, 22:33:51

Well this is interesting news. First thing, if you are worried about flagging a test stick to liquid or pure DMV extract. Trust me, I had an internship for a government agency with ransoms and based the sweetest deems literally an hour before a test and had swam in liquid daily for weeks. Now, I consider myself an unhinging rabid dog and when I get a story I will do what it takes to get that info. We need to delve into these artists who we pay so much money. If the music sucks, I want to straight up ask them why they suck or that show sucked, period. Why hasn’t someone mentioned to Mike the angst so many have about the bogus new material puked on us at Boardwalk hall? It’s not a one way love fest. We aren’t simply neutered animals accepting our fates and cutting checks for garbage. Sometimes I tell my lady that I honestly would rather watch blood relatives molest each other than deal with the fascism that exists in jam journalism. I want to buck the trend. How has Gordeaux never had to answer for the photo session in the boathouse at P and F? Why don’t you ask the tough questions. I will.

Sirtripsalot March 26, 2014, 22:36:05

Sorry should read pure DMT and random tests

Byoc March 26, 2014, 23:23:09

Yeah I wrote for a college Christian publication. Journalists of the upper echelons like at this publication or a music manuscript express themselves differently. To unleash creativity the public usage of powders, patches and hard liquor was interesting. Everyone has vices, I am just happy I don’t like climaxing with quadrapeds.

On Tour Reporting March 27, 2014, 00:30:42

It would be cool if there was an imbedded journalist on Phish tour who could get a couple minutes post show to relay a quick video tweet on the nights performance. We could tweet questions the whole show and the journalist could ask what matters. If we pay for the stream we deserve this type of access. Let’s say they play a great show we could ask what was motivating them that night. If they are flubbing songs this imbed could carry our anger and put them on the spot as they leave stage. He could probe them about personal matters, social fetishes or substance issues. Backstage is a quiet scene so this imbed from Relix could really provide access. These guys get lots of vacation time, so when it’s tour time it’s our time. We are the bosses if I am not mistaken. Reporters keep those with powers over us in check. I like to think I lose control of my being for six to eight weeks a summer as tour engulfs my reptilian brain. I want someone on the inside who is decoding the cuneiform the Red Baron and Cactai Satyr are etching on our souls from night to night during that formative period. This reporter could do this for us. Just trying to share good ideas with those I love.

willie the pimp March 27, 2014, 08:16:45

Oh boy, look what I’ve done. Satire is often lost.

Good Idea March 27, 2014, 09:44:25

That is the next step. Cameras and journalism have gotten so cheap, we should pretty much get unfettered access to the band during tour. I would love it if they wrote a bad setlist or were having a sloppy night if a kid jammed a camera in Trey’s face and saying, “what’s the deal loser, you just made a few hundred grand, you can’t even play Fluffhead anymore,” or “Gordon, you Hello Kitty scarf rectus, you don’t have the stones to say no to Trey when he says ‘let’s close with Julius and encore with Character Zero.” Imagine if Page played an emotional Lawn Boy first set, we could get video at setbreak live of someone asking him if this was as emotional a moment as the Coiventry Wading, or if he was just being a little Cranked out harlot crying because he wanted more Ice. These kind of guys get away with so much and make even more so why not? Our President is on the television 24/7 he makes 400 grand a year. These guys are worth over 50 million a piece, I think some scrutiny is in order for the fans.

dk70 March 27, 2014, 10:17:12

Maybe they don’t owe you ANY glimpses into their personal lives. You buy a ticket,they rock out and you go home happy .If they play great music – job done. If the show is lame – oh well. You can choose to buy more tix or not.

phish March 27, 2014, 11:11:29

i love how all music in your heads = phish. get a life and turn on your fm dial

analvag March 27, 2014, 12:50:48

First off this is about Relix, so if you are telling someone to turn on the FM to hear bands Relix covers you need to put the 2CB down. Second Phish is the biggest band regularly covered by Relix so valid ideas are being shared. I’ve toured for 20 years with Phish. Would it hurt to put them on blast about the new tunes Trey presented in AC to us PAYING faithful? Why not choose the songs he has written with Tom instead? Where is the album? Did you realize how egomaniacal that was on Halloween? Did your producer tell you it was crap which is why you went on long solo tours? What was Gordo doing taking pics of kids at Phil and Friends? Do they share their ladies? Are you married to your cousin? Why/ why not?

me March 27, 2014, 14:27:17

First test will be the proper spelling of Vaughan… second test will be to prove you know how to enable spellchecker, as well as recognize when said spellchecker has flagged a typo… lastly, you will be required to read all posts on each of your article pages w/o creating a fake handle to respond with, crying, quitting or looking up the sender’s info and hunting them down… Good Luck interns!

me March 27, 2014, 15:59:08

hey me March 27, 2014, 16:27:41

You can’t defend those songs played in AC. At first I shared your sentiments of it being creative. Now it sounds awful, as do versions from MSG of an album tentatively called Wingsuit that has been likely shelved or totally changed. I mean Fuego and Monica LOL we were had and that is fine. We were just being loyal, now people should ask them what happened since the novelty is long gone.

me March 27, 2014, 16:39:13

NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TO MY LAST POST... Okay… I say if they have to take the juvenile BS questioning to some type of live feed immediately after the show, answering dumb ass questions like “why would an improv band, known for taking chances and doing stuff outside the norm, deliver a set full of new music?” or “why did you play that lame ass song >>insert WTF Phish song here>insert your “high fives” song here

me March 27, 2014, 16:39:29

@hey me… I’m not sure I’d use the word “defend” and I respect your opinion seeing as it’s one of the few that is honest w/o just being a douche. If you feel they suck and that you got boned on Halloween, that’s fair… I wasn’t at Halloween, but watched it on the feed and taped the feed and have listened to it several times… I was at NYE and I think Wombat is fun, in the vein of Meatstick, I think Fuego was great even if I do think the Diego/Fuego wording might have some room for improvement (but I feel the same about Prince Caspian and Wading in the Velvet Sea… as far as lyrics could have been worked a bit better)... and I agree with you about Monica, not really a fan. But with that said, I think what they did on Halloween was great, not saying that something else couldn’t have been great too, but I have no problem with what they did (and it has nothing to do with not standing in the venue). It was a risk, it was trying to do something different. Plus, even if you want to call it a failure, then great it failed but you can’t have a band you love put things on cruise control and just coast along, or at least I don’t want that for the band I love. Throw the spaghetti, some will stick, some will turn elastic %^)

fair enough March 27, 2014, 17:04:20

I hear ya…plus I dont care to know that much about Gordos photo deal jk.

trey March 28, 2014, 09:47:36