Published: 2014/03/29

Alana Rocklin Plays Bass As STS9 Debut New Material at McDowell Mountain Music Fest

STS9 returned to the stage last night for the first time since they cancelled their winter tour following founding bassist David Murphy’s departure from the band. The group was joined by replacement bassist Alana Rocklin for the duration of the show, which took place at the McDowell Mountain Music Festival in Phoenix, AZ. Rumors had been circulating for some time that Rocklin, who sat in with the band for a few songs during their most recent New Year’s Eve run at The Tabernacle in Atlanta, would be taking over bass duties for the upcoming tour, though last night’s show was the first time this information was confirmed.

In addition to utilizing a new band member, STS9 also debuted two new songs during their set at the festival. The show opened with a brand new tune titled “New Dawn, New Day,” and the group introduced another new track, “World Go Round,” a couple songs later.

As previously reported, STS9 have been in the studio working on their next album for some time. No release date for the record has been set as of now.

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist

Friday, March 28, 2014, STS9, McDowell Mountain Music Festival, Phoenix, AZ

New Dawn, New Day*, Rent, World Go Round*, Wika Chikana, Kamuy, Vapors, Golden Gate, 20-12, Circus, Inspire Strikes Back, When The Dust Settles

(*) Debut

Comments

Tellsemlikeismellsem!!!!! March 29, 2014, 12:26:49

I’ll bet they still suck donkey balls. Good excuse to eat some jaw grinders an dish out back rubs to unsuspecting randos though.

WookMaster9 March 29, 2014, 13:18:38

Please take your negative bull shit else where. Some of u people are truly sad. Wasn’t there but show sounded great. Bass was thumping and they jammed a lot more than any show I have heard in the last few years. Fuck u haters I’m happy to tribe healthy and can’t wait for the furture

Oldskooltribe March 29, 2014, 13:39:20

Wook, love tribe and not sure about the future. That said this was a funny comment
“Some of u people are truly sad. Wasn’t there but show sounded great.” I’m pretty sure there were no soundboard streams, so were you reviewing this show through a buddies droid stream or a phone call? I’m not sure that’s a great measuring stick to say last night was better in any area than shows from the last few years. Sounds a little forcefully optimistic. Maybe slow that roll and see how it pans out. Alana is going to need lots of time to migrate into the music and hearts of fans 16 years into the bands career.

denvermadhatter March 29, 2014, 14:42:09

There was a stream posted this morning… check out “church of sts9” on fb (I think the stream and article were on treehugger.com)

puckhead March 29, 2014, 14:43:04

@Tellsemlikeismellsem!!!!! Really Dude? Suck monkey balls? youre like one of those ppl that go to phish shows just to buy drugs and not go to the show. Get a life you effing loser

WookMaster9 March 29, 2014, 14:43:35

I didn’t say it was a better show than recent area shows. I said they jammed more. There was more improv than a lot of the recent shows Iv been too. Your right it hard to get a good interpretation through a phone stream but they sounded together in the moment and there was a good deal of improv which to me is a good indicator that the future is bright.

WookMaster9 March 29, 2014, 14:45:20

The stream I watched was on a mounted phone and it sounds awesome for what it was. Thanks Amy!!!

MarZaPhiGar March 29, 2014, 14:47:11

STS9 has been sucking the hind tit forever. The mayans predicted it. Btw, is ‘tribe’ a verb?

tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!! March 29, 2014, 15:46:46

@puckhead you are an idiot…. you don’t need drugs at a Phish show since their music is actually good and displays real talent….. what does phish even have to do with my above statement? you brought it up… time to dislodge the parking cone you sat on when you woke up this morning…. besides, you’re going to have to anyways to plug all the pressies in your butt that you’ll need to have fun at a soundcheck section 4 concert…. nuff said

ihadfunlastnight March 29, 2014, 20:41:47

@tellsemlikeIsmellsem!!!!
You do realize your the kind of guy who trolls a bands news section that you dont even like and then shit talks when they come back on tour. Do you ever feel hollow? let me guess like 21ish something years old?

BathsaltBrian March 29, 2014, 21:31:19

It was my third STS9 show yesterday. I just thought Dave Murphy was a cracked out show clown that happened to be a good bass player., but then this big Momma was there last night. It was different as she shares the same beauties as the girl in Treys band, yet was still front and center. As the set went on there was a strange energy between fans and the band. We were drinking since early in the morning so we needed to wake up so my step Dad and I split a quarter of fungus and did a few bumps in the bathroom and got our groove on. I’m not sure if it was the fungus or an actual painting, but I swear the fretboard of the new bass players guitar looks like a giant penis. Perhaps it’s just an artistic thing. We met some high school girls and got them just shitfaced. My step dad was grinding two of them during Circus while I was working the cherry bag. The music was throbbing, I was throbbing but we had to leave during the last song since my Mom was picking us up. We ended up walking about six miles looking for a ride, because my Mom got nailed driving in on a suspended license after her last DUI. I think the future for the band is undetermined. I’m heading to spin some wax at a party and go pig hunting.

cosmicbein March 29, 2014, 22:09:46

I agree with and feel Bathsalt Brians vibes.I raged it last night at the park too.Met a girl named Molly and danced well past dawn.

ISBinChief March 29, 2014, 23:55:43

Last night was fun even though security was oppressive to my pregnant wife. We didn’t know who would be on bass, so we were excited and apprehensive. At the gate, they found a butane torch in my wife’s bag for my rig, and they said throw it out or leave to her. She called that bluff and said she would rather hit shatter in the car than throw the torch out, and succumb to their draconian efforts to rob her. I made like I didn’t know her since I had sugar in my pocket and tincture. I knew she could chill and hear the tunes with the shatter in our van. On to the show. As I walked in they were on and this dude at the gate said I looked like Gandolfini from Sopranos, except for me being black. It must have been that comment, but for half the show I kept telling everyone the new bass player was Janice Soprano Tony’s sister. It sounded bumping, but visually quite different. It was only one set and I was preoccupied worrying if my pregnant wife had enough shatter for the show. The highlight was Vapors, on to the next one gangsters.

Dave the slave March 30, 2014, 15:21:06

You have to take massive amounts of drugs at Phish shows. It you didn’t you would realize just how much they suck. Stay strong Phish Phans.

Ryan March 31, 2014, 08:51:37

This breakup was ugly. The first song that they play post Murphy is called “New Dawn, New Day”? Ouch.

Bizzy April 15, 2014, 23:17:35

Lol Ryan. On the other hand that song is fresh….if that’s what this dawn looks like I’m stoked. see y’all a red rocks.

TK May 7, 2014, 23:14:02

Life is a constant change. Shit happens. People just need to accept what’s up and quit hating. Murphs gone. Quit dwelling on the past before ya miss something. Damn straight New Dawn, New Day! Be grateful that they’ve stayed together and found such a great musician to bring the Tribe sound back. She’s no better than Murph and vice versa. They all got something good to bring. Listen to World Go Round. You can’t tell me something special is coming for everyone. If you want to listen to good music with cockamamy vocals then go Phish. Two totally different styles of music. Both unique in their own right and danceable. Both accomplish laying good grooves and having fun. Moderation and don’t do meth. Paranoia and fear will just lead you to a corner of a lonely room. Don’t drive under a suspended license. Get wise. Have fun but listen to that conscience thing and enjoy life!

TK May 7, 2014, 23:15:03

TK May 7, 2014, 23:21:43

And she can play upright bass http://www.bassplayersunited.com/2013/01/alana-rocklin/ I think she knows her shit

the north face resolve September 16, 2014, 11:45:52

It’s not whether they may win or not, but it is in their best interest not to show their Joker, who incidentally is also their least undocumented and studied weapon. This may not work for weaker teams, but when you have Vaas and Murali in the attack, you can take these chances. In comparison, Australia, is psychologically weaker in the spin department – with the exit of Shane Warne, the big match player. Hogg, who is kind of a similar unexposed/ undocumented weapon on their end, doesn’t exactly categorize as a “different” bowler in terms as Murali on Malinga would.
the north face resolve http://www.space2south.com/