Published: 2014/04/05

Trey Anastasio Joins Mike Gordon at Tarrytown Music Hall

Trey Anastasio sat in with Mike Gordon and his touring band last night at the Tarrytown Music Hall in Tarrytown, NY. The Phish guitarist joined his longtime bandmate at the end of the first set for a cover of Talking Heads’ “Cities” that was followed by the Overstep track “Tiny Little World.” Mike Gordon’s guitarist Scott Murawski, who has been covered “Cities” for years with his band Max Creek, supplied lead vocals. Anastasio lives in Manhattan and keeps a home in nearby Palisades, NY.

Last night’s show also featured renditions of The Beatles’ Revolver tunes “She Said She Said” and “Tomorrow Never Knows,” as well as The Flaming Lips’ “Are You a Hypnotist?” and The Civil Wars’ “Barton Hollow.” The show wrapped up with a “Soulfood Man” that segued into Gordon’s tour debut of Prince’s “Alphabet Street.”

Here’s a look at last night’s setlist as it appears in our Box Scores page

Mike Gordon
Tarrytown Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY

Set I: Ether > Cruel World, Yarmouth Road, Different World, Pretty Boy Floyd, Spock’s Brain, Face > Peel, Cities*, Tiny Little World*

Set II: Long Black Line, Crumblin’ Bones, Barton Hollow, Angatta, Spiral, Jumping, Traveled Too Far -> She Said She Said -> Tomorrow Never Knows > Are You a Hypnotist?? > Tomorrow Never Knows -> She Said She Said -> Traveled Too Far, Say Something

Enc: Soulfood Man > Alphabet Street

Notes: *with Trey Anastasio

Source: Phish.net

Comments

Phishy Flo April 5, 2014, 14:38:14

Choice covers from REVOLVER. Tarrytown Music Hall is a cool venue, lucky you who were there.

Glenn April 5, 2014, 16:00:47

Pishy Flo: Mule covered those same Revolver songs in 2000 and earlier…

thirsty birds April 5, 2014, 18:36:12

and in other news, lake champlain is still completely frozen over.

Cactaiaddict April 5, 2014, 21:35:11

I guess it was cool to see this band in Tarrytown. Trey was typically overrated and under done for this segment of his career. Murawski was laughing at him like what happened to you man you are a mess. Mike has the ability to write songs I imagine a bisexual Lowell George would. At some point we will start to have standards as fans. Until we do expect this garage band acceptability.

Phishy Flo April 6, 2014, 05:40:19

Glenn, Mule covered those songs yes, I’m not going to debate. The comment was about Beatle covers by Mike Gordon & band with Trey sitting in. Two different acts.

TimmyPlugger April 6, 2014, 10:49:35

I think Mike Gordon Band is essentially like Eric Clapton in Blind Faith. He has so much talent emanating from his being he needs outlets to stick his throbbing talent in. I’ve seen 8 shows this tour, and the band has gone from a side project to a band with the musical gravitas to headline Coachella or Electric Forrest festival. The band has transcended my earliest hopes and become a two headed satyr with Mike pushing he and Scott with his stumpy legs into epic territories. Seeing Trey was met with mixed emotions. There were as many loud boos and jeers in the crowd as claps. He he just barely played the guitar and looked confused like he just put on a used condom and didn’t even realize it. Cities was one of the worst versions ever played as Trey tried to steal the thunder, but this was a Mike crowd so he was not even welcome. We have come to sesire Scott’s professionalism,over Treys careless whimsy. As I have seen the band in many towns, I keep hoping Mike cancels Phish tour and takes this band where it needs to go. I think Trey was upset or just had been up for a few days. He kept mentioning how he thought it was weird the crowd was mostly black. I thought it was racism, but it was probably the meth talking. He needs to go take some lessons so he doesn’t make a fool of himself on another summer tour.

Eugene McCarthy April 6, 2014, 13:25:26

Timmy/Plugger , pretty harsh comments on Trey. I wasn’t there but is there anybody out there who saw this show?.

madcrunchy April 6, 2014, 14:08:59

lol the trolling is heavy here.. show was awesome! place went nuts when trey came out. lots of fun.. jazziest & summer can’t come soon enough!

Lol April 6, 2014, 14:20:29

It went nuts, including one half full beer thrown directly on stage. There was a lot of tension in the air all night. I’m not really into The solo stuff but I go because I love The fish. I did see one pretty decent fight after the show down the street from the venue. It was pretty even and fun to watch.

GOODS April 6, 2014, 20:44:28

Check out this sick version of golden age!
PHISH

Fluffer April 6, 2014, 22:27:48

There have been new heights reached in 3.0. I don’t care what people say. My wife thinks I’m a loser because I think mikes band is good and put effort into liking the new songs The Lord gave us in Atlantic City. She just wants more attention than the hammer I drop nightly after I’m don’t making matrices and ripping up that shatter after putting the kids down. She says that this is what Wingsuit is at it’s very best.

analvag April 6, 2014, 22:44:53

Well, Mike is certainly the band leader and new tour captain. There will be a time when this tour is essentially comparable to the genesis of The Jerry Garcia Band. Even as Scott baby sat a clearly confused Trey, with cloudy glasses dripping sweat, Mike traversed the space time continuum into the reptilian realm and showed us our own frail mortality during Cities. As we saw the uncertainty of one man who is a mere shadow of the past, another entered into the purgatory of ultimate creative responsibility. I think in the next few years we may see a Treyless Phish that is a side project of the Mike Gordon Band.

Ron April 7, 2014, 03:03:34

I wanted bigger scarfs and more of them and all I got was Trey wankery?
haha, jk Citied rocks and the show looks like it is off the tizzsle of shizzle my dizzleesss. MGB, must see tv.
Read on PT he is going to be in ESQUIRE>?
Typical PT trolling or the truth?
Only time will tell! But one thing is for sure, best looking bass player in the jamband scene (even though Phil is a very sexy man and those chad’s from UM are pretty tight too) Mike takes the cake and puts the jimmy on for this category of wankery. Thank you for listening.
Mike for president!
You know I’d vote “yes” for that! The Mike Gordon campaign slogan, “just say yes”. And know, this is not a copy pasta.
I post tight shit all the time that people take credit for.
Give red credit where credit is due or at least a gift card to the Red Lobster or something! Cheddar Bay for life baby!
Throughout the struggles and success food stays the same and quality never goes away. cheers

hey Ron? April 7, 2014, 09:05:09

Ron are you african American? I ask because Tarrytown seemed to bring in a crowd of a rainbow of acceptability and you seem to be writing in eubonics?

TCinNYC April 7, 2014, 10:09:47

I think its Great!! And I love seeing Scotty boy out front!! Good action.

wading river jeff April 8, 2014, 07:13:52

trey seems out of it, uncomfortable and out of tune.
He’s getting sloppy again. Saw mike at MOCA.- some good grooves, some ruts….overall b+

yelnick mc wawa April 15, 2014, 17:34:21

I was not at this show timmyfluger or whatever but i just don’t see trey coming out to boo’s and not knowing what to play or how to play it. Lesson’s? I am not a phish lover or hater but i gotta say I think phish’s songs don’t say much at all but those cat’s have a whole lot of talent. They cover other bands music really fucking good. I have seen a whole bunch of music that most people if they could would pay big cash to have seen. Just The Grateful Dead and Garcia shows that i was fortunate enuff to have seen,back when garcia really did have black hair and you could understand what weir was saying without asking him 5 times to repeat himself. And you can’t overlook how much better the drug’s and the people whole sold them were.

macmakeuponsale July 8, 2014, 05:59:26

oakley bolt debrecen oakley budapest airport transfer oakley in foothill ranch www.sagazette.com/mac-mascara-c-16.html TongFitflop www.macmakeuponsale.com/mac-makeup-mascara-c-1.html vibram fivefingers bikila ls black Tods Scarpe Donna Mac Makeup Wholesale Hogan Stivali Donna
macmakeuponsale http://www.cessnapersonalaircraft.com/images/mac/201462616465539859.asp