Published: 2014/04/21

Boyd Tinsley Reveals He Has Arthritis

Dave Matthews Band violinist Boyd Tinsley revealed he is battling arthritis in his hand, the violinist said on Twitter after questions about his performance on the band’s recent Australian tour. Word came in via various channels that Tinsley was having trouble holding onto his bow, forcing the band to change the setlist on stage on several occasions. During Boyd’s recent guest spot with Phil Lesh & Friends at the Capitol Theatre, he also dropped his bow during the show. Tinsley says, however, that it is “being treated” and he will “be fine.”

Next up for DMB is the start of their annual US Summer tour, which kicks off May 16 at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands, TX.

We caught up with Boyd following the band’s recent South American tour to talk about the upcoming Summer tour which will feature an old format, as DMB will play two sets of material for the first time since their early days together. Read the interview here.

Comments

Handjobs? April 21, 2014, 10:20:53

SSIA?

Sharyn April 21, 2014, 11:25:00

I did notice Boyd dropping his bow many times at the Phil shows. I just thought it slipped out of his hands from moving so fast or that his hands were slippery (from sweat). Too bad and hopefully he’s in good hands :)

jennifer April 21, 2014, 11:49:41

The band would never be the same without Boyd. Love that man. Love his hugs and I hope he heals fast.

Jesse Salcedo April 21, 2014, 13:43:07

Hang in there Brah, You are the Man. Time to slow down and enjoy what you already have accomplished, you are a Bad Ass, Brah. You will always be a Bad Ass. I’m 65 and hurting all over, but I proudly look back, and I’m pretty damn proud.

Matt Byrnes April 21, 2014, 15:57:13

I don’t think the setlist change is accurate at all. I was looking at the printed setlists on the almanac and I think I noticed one encore change, which is quite common. :confused

Bobby Jae April 21, 2014, 19:22:59

Maybe they were making the setlist, then boyd was like “can someone take this solo?” or “can’t do nancies tonight, my hand is killing me” I really hope he can get better in time for Summer2Sets

David Ralston April 21, 2014, 21:58:45

They are doing two sets one electric n one acoustical a show if ya didn’t know. Best wishes to Boyd and band.

Mel K June 8, 2014, 20:48:13

I went to 3 of their Oz concerts and all 3 times he dropped it and I was more concerned for him and was hoping he was alright as all of us adoring fans knew something was not quite right. None the less Boyd rocked it as great as any other time I have seen them and I along with many other fans will adore his musical talents for many years to come.
I must add the roar and applause from all of the fans just shows we all love him!!