Published: 2014/04/26

Phish Make Triumphant Return to Jazz Fest

Phish made their return to the Crescent City with their first Jazz Fest show since 1996. The first set saw a relaxed, well-rehearsed band tear through a selection of familiar cuts such as the opening “Kill Devil Falls,” “The Moma Dance,” “Rift” and “Wolfman’s Brother” before Page McConnell (who performed with The Meter Men the night before) serenaded the crowd on “Lawn Boy.” Trey Anastasio dedicated the song to the people of Jazz Fest and McConnell reiterated Anastasio’s previous sentiment on how special it was to return to New Orleans.

The lone cover of the show would come in the form of “Funky Bitch” while “The Line” would be the only Wingsuit song to appear in the opening setlist of the year, serving as the penultimate song of the first set. “Character Zero” brought the first frame to a rocking close.

The second set included a variety of improv-heavy staples, kicking off with a “Down with Disease” that would eventually segue into “Birds of a Feather” after the band’s first true improvisation of the evening. “Twist” would continue its recent trend of featuring quirky, call and response sections from the band before giving way to the fun “Sparkle” and more standard “Free.” “Light” headed a trio of heavy instrumentation with “Sand” and “Harry Hood” following after.

Phish closed their set and show with a heavy dose of their rock influence, including “Cavern,” the a capella “Grind” and the closer “Julius,” ending their Jazz Fest set. Next up for Phish is the start of their Summer tour on July 1 in Mansfield, MA. Before that, Trey Anastasio will hit the road with his band for a trio of dates beginning May 23 in Cleveland, OH.

Here’s a look at the setlist:

Phish
April 26, 2014
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival New Orleans, LA

Set I: Kill Devil Falls, The Moma Dance > Rift, Wolfman’s Brother, Lawn Boy, Party Time, Ocelot, Funky Bitch, 46 Days, The Line, Character Zero

Set II: Down with Disease > Birds of a Feather, Twist, Sparkle, Free, Light, Sand, Harry Hood, Cavern, Grind

Enc: Julius

Comments

Dave the slave April 27, 2014, 10:34:05

Trey is a Jedi and I’m still trying to put my face back together after seeing this setlist. WOW. Absolutely stunning. It makes me want to get all up inside that dude’s dress and roll around on a wrestling mat covered in chocolate syrup. Afterwards we would lick each other clean. It’s literally THAT GOOD. I see the DJ is still a reformed man, but I can’t hide who I am. Whether it’s transsexual truckers or unwashed, obese trailer park queens at Insane Clown Posse shows, I have to be true to myself. Phish is wonderful. Phish is grand. Phish is the GREATEST BAND TO EVER GRACE THE PLANET. The end.

Trey April 26, 2014, 21:27:12

#get dude to it

MarZaPhiGar April 27, 2014, 01:28:18

Possum
Halley’s comet
Icculus
Sand
Heavy things A song i heard the ocean sing
Reba
Esther Piper
Harpua
Ac/dc bag
Golgi apparatus
Simple

DJ Damage April 27, 2014, 07:19:07

Laddies and gentlewomen, I am proud to introduce for your dining and laughing pleasure, my good friend and a true American wit in the vein of Walt Whitman, Dave the Slave! Take it away D the S!

drasticjasper April 27, 2014, 07:50:44

For Dj Damage, Dave the Slave, and the Dave the Slave clones: and yet we still don’t care! Tee Hee cat bat rat a b c look we just wrote a phish song too :P

drasticjasper April 27, 2014, 07:52:31

I will admit to cranking the shit out of wolfman’s brother in the forest speakers occasionally however just to piss off the neighbors :)

drasticjasper April 27, 2014, 08:02:46

also I left a secret troll powerup in a diffy thread for the clones…they get hungies

Triumphant disaster April 27, 2014, 10:21:44

What a fucking terrible show. First set was offensive and second set had a couple high points. They clearly were rusty and confused. They horribly botched multiple songs had two good jams and the first set was certainly in the top 5 worst 3.0 sets, so yeah down here in NOLA it was not triumphant at all. They played nothing jazzfest related but they sure thanked us like insecure teens after and before almost every song. Thanks for the good Down with Disease, but you can hold that horrendous Harry Hood for a 19 year old fisherman in a boat to warn him that whales are in the area.

John Horsecock April 27, 2014, 11:08:20

No Phish apologists can really do much for that show. What do you say? I wasted thousands of dollars to have Phish highlight my jazzfest experience and they played a set list full of less challenging songs of theirs that they still can’t get through without flubbing. If they are so high on that dogfood they fed us in AC where is it at? A 5 minute Line with a pathetic outtro, is all we got. It all changed for the worst after Dicks 2012. Not one show has approached those shows since. We all know that. This made me extremely embarrassed to be a Phish fan. Santana made them look like a garage band. A little practice and a reasonable set list in the first would have been appreciated. Then again it’s jazzfest, they made a ton and didn’t even need to bring CK5 or their stage setup. We should celebrate the bands profits not their music. It’s over. I thought this last Summer and this Fall during the Glen Falls show, but last night was one giant embarrassment.

MarZaPhiGar April 27, 2014, 12:02:18

Sorry in advance for the hackneyed comparison, but face it-the Grateful Dead, at their worst and most addled STILL was WAY better than these clowns on their best night. Sad but fuckin true. At the very least, the Dead’s songs held up, even if the performances were iffy. That garbage Phish has been slingin for 30 years will be forgotten. I remember the good old days when the mere mention of Phish amongst certain people would be immediate grounds for a bitch slap.

Harold Houdini April 27, 2014, 12:15:23

If I saw four characters who looked like Phish do in that picture wandering around my home I would call 911.

lisa LA April 27, 2014, 13:01:05

My girls and I were stoked to not have to hop on a plane to see Phish as LA residents. The last localish show we made it to was 1999 Pelham, which was the best show ever compared to last night. We have all seen plenty of what you call 3.0 Phish like Superball and Boardwalk Hall. We all were actually worried about the band during the first set. They were like a pinball game bouncing around but eventually losing every time they tried. Down with Disease had some awesome danceable jams that flowed ajd Trey sounded his best of The night on Birds of a Feather. Nobody was even remotely into set one so set two started nice. They faded hard into what seems to be noted as a pretty awful Harry Hood. Anybody worried this band is in big trouble? Anybody notice last night was kind of a disaster show? My girls and I all said we will never travel to see Phish again unless something changes. Jazzfest saved us from Phish, but we love the band and were pretty darn sad about that show. Nothing victorious or triumphant went on and grind isn’t a classic rock influenced acapella song as the article reads.

dave the slave April 27, 2014, 13:28:59

Thank you DJ Damage. What more can I say. Even Phish fans are waking up and smelling the coffee. Maybe the strength of the drugs is down or their tolerance has become so great that no amount of drugs can make Phish sound good. Looks like it is going to be a weak summer tour from a burned out bad band. If they were smart they would only play covers as their own songs are just so much garbage. Stay strong Phish fans stay strong.

Bill April 27, 2014, 13:58:59

When you start doing things for money and not because you honestly enjoy it, the end product becomes shit. Case and point Phish 3.0.

Jason Casady April 27, 2014, 14:16:07

I knew Jazzfest was going downhill once they started booking bands like Phish and their ilk.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 14:46:15

Haters be hatin!! 11/1/13 was one of the best 3.0 shows or any show for that matter. Maybe after 4 months off they were rusty. If u don’t like phish stay the F home

Kyle April 27, 2014, 14:52:09

Oh and how fast the jaded ones forget about fall 13. Oh and if jazzfest went down hill bc of phish then it went there 20 fin years ago

well practice? April 27, 2014, 15:09:46

Honestly Kyle Fall 13 is totally overrated. Not one show is as good as the worst show from Dicks 2012, and Trey cant even come close to attempting Fluffhead in Hartford without an epic fail and that’s a fact. Anybody else think they maybe practiced for a couple hours, mostly that peice of shit song the line, and played their easiest and most familiar songs to avoid problems like we saw in Hood and throughout the first set? It had a solid 30 minutes out of 3 hours. I was there were you? The crowd was like a funeral during set one and from Light on, and there were a thousand heart attacks during Harry. I feel like the band may go full circle and be at Higher Ground with a 20 year old crowd in less than two years.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 15:25:09

Omgdicks 2012 was great but I’ve been on tour or seein shows since 93 and i thank god they have changed and set 2 of 11-1 was better than any dicks 2012. If u don’t like it why waste time posting. The age old question bc u have nothing better to do lol find a new band already.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 15:33:54

In 2 years they will sell out MSG just like every year. Then they will take a year off and sell out every tour like 09. You are delusional.

Not Really April 27, 2014, 16:21:35

Kyle they will keep as heavy a touring schedule as it takes to keep the lonely few like you defending them. 20-30 shows a year, an album or something they call an album every 7 years and a break after this year. It’s like the Eagles. They are huge too. It’s just what you like. I am a newer fan as well. I caught 3 shows on Horde tour back in High School. I don’t recall when that was. Nonetheless I love them for what they did, but making triumphant claims about 2013 and 2014 Phish or the album we are all just dying to hear makes you look depressed. Have some self respect brother. Critiquing your favorite band you have seen hundreds of times is ok by me. Lots of miles and lots of cash to see them, but nowhere near what they raked in last night with zero practice, effort or road expenses. Listen to last nights first set or second half of the second set then go read your posts out loud in the mirror and see if the mirror breaks ok? We’re you there buddy? Feel good about Hood bro. MSG is their little gold one. Maybe they will toss a few gamehenge songs in a set this year so you can say it was a henge set, or they will get on a truck for you and make sweet love. Either way they know it work$ and haven’t done anything good at MSG since 2011.

Dangerous Dan April 27, 2014, 16:58:00

After coming home and hearing the soundboard I now am quite positive I heard a historic show. Upon seeing and relistening I can confidently say that I believe we caught the worst set of Phish first set and the worst version of the Phish staple Harry Hood in their long history. I like stats so getting bust outs and total dogs count! On a serious note, first set is disturbing. I have never heard worse sounds come out of Trey. It’s unthinkable but that first set is probably not better than half the Coventry sets. The soundboards never lie. Phish get better guys please. When will they announce the break after MSG. No need to keep up what went on at the Fairgrounds.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 17:03:24

@notreally wow jaded is jaded I spend maybe $100 a year on phish. Like I said find a new band stay off the threads if all u have to say is negative for real they are all almost 50 when u still perform
At a pretty hi level at 50 plz call me 315 636 8932

JonnyGoodTimes April 27, 2014, 17:07:46

Are you guys fucking kidding me? I had a great time watching a band kick some ass. Were they on 100% of the time ? No. Its called searching for the sound and they did grab the power line on more than one occasion and other times they were looking for it and just didnt find it. Sometimes you hit home runs all night long and sometimes ya dont. They hit plenty enough for me and i still cant wipe the grin off my face. Too bad your life depends on waiting for a great fucking band have their best show ever to have a good time. I HAVE BEEN ALL AROUND THE WORLD AND NEVER SEEN A STATUE OF A CRITIC

Kyle April 27, 2014, 18:09:17

You all take this WAY TO SERIOUS. Ya bad show. So was all MSG 11/12 and look what happened after that. It’s like sports you win some you lose some same with phish. I can certainly say I’ve won WAY more than I’ve lost even in 3.0!!! And I don’t hate my on my fave sports team after 1 bad game. They are 50 and I know some of the names on this page were very sad after Coventry and very happy after Hampton. And if u paid 4k to see phish at jazzfest I’m sorry bc their is sooo much music that I would gladly pay that much for. The prob is some peeps just went to see phish. That’s there prob. Also same peeps who hate on phish and u check their iPod and its phish top to bottom.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 18:20:48

You said it good times exactly what I mean. I saw a 41 year old grown man cry b he didn’t get eat a peach on Halloween. He left his kids wife and family paid 700 on stubhub plus 900 on air I mean that’s just asking to be disappointed. Stay with ur kids. He missed his kids first Halloween for a rock band and literally cried and threw popcorn get a life bro

MarZaPhiGar April 27, 2014, 18:35:15

What constitutes a ‘triumphant return’ anyhow? Just cuz they showed up? What, did they ride into town on an ass or something?

Kyle April 27, 2014, 18:59:39

@not really I don’t spend$$ on phish an to compare em to the eagles. Ah I remember the dead at age 30. Jerry died but b4 he did people like u were sending death threats!! Then he dies you cry and think furthur is the gd. My god get a life my mirror doesn’t break I play music I know when they are off and when there are actual flubs. Do you? Last night was rough no question but I bet I could put a disc of all jams 96 or 13 an u wouldn’t be able to tell me which is which. Trust me I’ve fooled five jaded fools already. Wanna place $ on it

Ok April 27, 2014, 19:33:43

Kyle you are very rationale. People that do not give good reviews to atrocious Phish shows= People who sent Jerry death threats. Kyle see how hard you are trying to like Phish instead of honestly critiquing the band? Lots of ifs and buts and excuses but really nothing concrete to back up your claims. Listen to that first set and if you can’t say it’s their worst set probably ever, you sparked a water bong with gasoline in the bong and don’t realize it. I can see how persuasive you are. Frankly I am stunned you don’t at least call this guy a Nazi for posting his thoughts. We all realize he probably sent death threats to Jerry though. That is a totally realistic assessment.

@johnny April 27, 2014, 19:35:15

Johnny what band do you speak of that you saw kicking ass? I’m very interested in hearing that band. Thanks.

Honestly April 27, 2014, 19:41:04

@kyle you may be a functioning drug addict if you cannot identify a track from 1996 verse 2014 and are a Phish fan. Wake up sister. Treys tone sounds like a bull horn with a mic inside it and while Mike is ten times louder in the mix than 1996. With all the loud extended flubs and horrible harsh tone Trey had at the Fairgrounds you honestly think you could hold up 1996 Vegas or NYE or the Clifford Ball and not tell the difference from yesterday? Do you drink pain thinner on Sundays? The band is having big issues. It’s unfortunate. I feel terrible for people who spent money to travel to see that show. Don’t you? Wait you weren’t even there.

Ron April 27, 2014, 19:56:20

Just listened to the show…1 word-awesome.
Don’t feed the trolls.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 20:41:04

I’m straight edge bro and I’m a he take the challenge. And just keep hatin bc if u hate on some random rock post your life must blow. Try being positive and if u can’t move one. And no one critiqued this show it was either hate or love. I thought it sucked but that sure as hell doesn’t mean phish will play the higher ground after one bad gig after a 4 month layoff. I know all about treys tone. You are holding on to 97 move on homes

MarZaPhiGar April 27, 2014, 20:46:31

If Phish was a race horse they would have put up a screen and shot them last night.

@kyle April 27, 2014, 20:47:25

To be fair you just asked him about 1996 and he told you and now you are telling him he is the one holding on to the 1990s? He did not actually mention the 1990 era until you did. Go ahead.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 21:02:13

Fair I was just saying I can take a jam from both years and they prob won’t know the difference that’s all. Trust me I have 2 discs from random eras and only 1 person could tell the diff. I was just saying a good jam is a good jam it doesn’t matter the year. Lots of people think if it’s not 90s phish it’s no good. I’ve found ways to prove people wrong tone or no tone. There is no need to hate and I know this is the uncool thing to say but Tahoe tweezer was all that and a bag of chips. 11-1-13 was sooo fun. Last night not so much but people stop taking it so far when it comes down to it just like the dead it’s a band an people treat these grown men like they owe us something. As far as critiquing all that has been said is last night sucked. People were expecting Clapton even tho he plays next week!!! I expected a non phish festie set from a band that hasn’t played since December give em a break. I got exactly what I expected half the people there it was there first show. It’s jazz fest not phish fest

timmy April 27, 2014, 21:12:27

ALL of you are taking one show way too seriously. Jesus Christ, calm the fuck down. It was one bad set. That’s it. Nobody died. BTW summer tour last year had some borderline epic shows. Second night of Dick’s was incredible too. Hate all you want, but they’re still capable of occasionally bringing some serious heat.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 21:19:58

^^^^exactly they don’t owe is anything one bad show at a non phish fest where half the fans have never seen phish after a 4 month layoff shouldn’t even be discussed. Take a listen to the first show after the Clifford ball in lake placid. It sucked balls!! It’s a rock band people are acting like they killed their dog. Oh an I love how all the hate goes to trey a four man band and trey aborts all jams even tho mike and fish ripcorded one last night

Kyle April 27, 2014, 21:32:47

Oh one last thing for the person that mentioned I hope they throw u a forbins or whatever. Not even a fan of that stuff. My set goes as follows carini>ghost>mikes>hydro>slave>hydro>paugh>makisupa, waves>Reba >salley encore meat>xeyed

Dave the slave April 27, 2014, 21:42:59

Kyle, I feel like you and I would have a blast at the Gathering of the Juggalos. You going this year?

@kyle April 27, 2014, 21:47:05

“People were expecting Clapton even tho he plays next week!!! I expected a non phish festie set from a band that hasn’t played since December give em a break” Eric just played. What are you on? You keep defending your band and calling everyone crazy or a troll and you do not know what you are even speaking about.

Meat April 27, 2014, 21:49:20

I fell off my chair and shattered my pelvis when I saw someone toss Meat in the encore spot of their dream set. Holy shit. My pelvis hurts and I can stop laughing.

Kind Ticket Guy April 27, 2014, 22:39:55

Don’t fret guys this summer Fish will be groovy. Get your experience on through me. I have tickets for every east coast show with reserved sections 10 rows out and in ONLY. If you do not want to stand behind Vip and need to become a VIP. SPAC starting at 399. Dicks Sporting Goods Park in Colorado VIP starting at 299 for a limited time. It will be their best tour ever. 1-866-488-7386 24/7

Kyle April 27, 2014, 22:53:44

Omg I was off on Clapton kill me lol and meat in the encore I would love just to mix it up. But not just meat but meat into something groovy and funky. Just something unpredictable but I really want mikes>slave>hydro>slave. I love hydro and slave. So tired hearing this has to be a first setter or this has to be a second setter. Give me a dam meat as an encore lol man you guys are serious people. I’m down for juggs but not juggelos

Kyle April 27, 2014, 22:57:52

Lol at the scalper

TuneMeUp April 27, 2014, 23:02:45

These one off huge festival shows taking place when the band is not touring, when the band is not practiced and playing with mostly their own hardware/crew, are almost always downers. That applies to Phish as well as any other proficient LIVE band, where each member is integral to its success. Phish needs to be a well oiled machine at proper operating temperature to perform effectively. So I did not expect much from the JazzFest performance. And that was the result.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 23:05:19

I know exactly what I’m about never used troll all I said its one god dam show lighten up!! And there are 5 heads sitting here right now vets if u will and would love a meat encore. People bitch about things being predictable then something as an unpredictable as a meat encore people. Hope your hip is ok bro bc if you fell out of ur chair bc of that u have an inner ear problem

Kind Ticket Guy April 27, 2014, 23:06:10

Not a scalper, just a guy that gets tickets early trying to help the fans out who need tickets and sells them my tickets. I even go sometimes if I cannot sell them all locally, but definitely not a scalper. I am a big CSN fan from back in the day.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 23:15:51

Hey I read every post and def never said troll. Just people take phish WAAAAAY to serious. I love em but my fave band the band. Just sux I can’t see em

Jimmy the Freak April 27, 2014, 23:31:13

I don’t know what the hell was going in yesterday. I had been up since early Thursday morning. The space time continuum may have been interrupted at times but we were amply armed to keep awake. It was such a bad first set we went hooker hunting in frustration at the beginning of Harry Hood, because it was like we were putting effort into watching the band fumble and futz through almost every song. Phish was a close second to last on the list of experiences this weekend. First goes to hiding in a hotel closet while my cousin crushed a hooker. I came out and found an unopened box of Trojan extra thins. I looked at my cousin and asked what was the box of rubbers? He said he had no clue because he was not wearing one with the hooker. I just laughed and handed that dude a towel for his bloody nose.

Kyle April 27, 2014, 23:48:36

That funny. At first I was thinking ultra thin with a hooker lol then no rubber lol. One thing I think I agreeable is that was def a rough show. But I never worry like usual they will be just fine

JohnnyGT April 27, 2014, 23:50:33

If i keep reading this bullshit yall are going to convince me that i didnt have a good time. Was i the only one enjoying a sunny 80deg day in my favorite city watching one of my favorite bands. guess it was all in my head???

JohnnyGT April 27, 2014, 23:58:30

I also thought Anders Osborne was pretty fucking good also. Anyone bummed out about his set?

Antelope Greg's Knee April 28, 2014, 00:03:37

Jimmy that is awesome. Johnny I am sure everyone had fun. I did. I will agree that it was the worst 3.0 show I have heard though. I am actually not looking forward to hearing it again. That is a first for me.

timmy April 28, 2014, 01:24:58

I know this thread was about Phish at Jazzfest, but those of you who have been down to one know that it’s all one big show. It’s not a Phish fest. The best music you will hear will be some old school NOLA jazz-funk at a packed bar at 3 in the morning. Phish are just guests for a weekend.

Elasticity April 28, 2014, 01:57:54

Just back from that weekend. So much fun in New Orleans. Santana was incredible. Marcos show was great, but I am not sure why the fashionista came out on keys. After Phish, which was shameful, we enjoyed PL. Phish was no guest or side act as some are excusing. They actually have the longest time slot at Jazzfest. Longer than Eric Clapton. They are what you would call a headliner making half a million bucks for their time or more A guest to me is more the guy jamming the fuck out of Cissy Strut in a bar for 200 bucks where I can try to get aids in the bar bathroom. While that is fun to do after I have been up for days, it’s insulting Phish was so sloppy and mailed in a bunch of their pre stamped tunes, which mind you they still botched the crap out off. Listen to this guitar player. Who the hell is he? Did he write this music? All are reasonable questions. People have a right to be disappointed. I wasn’t at all. My only shocker view was that something may be wrong with Trey, his rig or something else leading to something totally new. Are these reworkings of the songs or just disasters? That’s a reasonable question too. Timings on many songs changed, but that seemed to be to help out that guy on guitar. Off to bed, and back on Thursday. It’s disgusting actually to know SCI will show up more than Phish. We were all saying how pissed off that made us. Goodnight. Wake me up Wednesday. I hope no rashes or boils develop!

phishislame April 28, 2014, 09:18:06

they didn’t do anything special to New orleans no special covers etc. LAME!!!! They just go thru the motions! Paycheck please!! LAME!!!!!!

3.0 festivals April 28, 2014, 09:54:26

I will leave out the Phish only fests. 1. Manchester 2009 Latenight
2. Outside Lands
3. ACL Fest
4. Manchester Sunday set 2009 Help me if I am missing any feats in the rankings where it’s not SuperBall or Coachella Halloween. The boys just didn’t show up. I think we all get it. Comparing these other festivals, where Phish is a guest as the apologists say, makes you recall the band isn’t an egg laying machine at festivals. So this poppycock about them just being guests of NOLA and Jazzfest when they have the longest time slot and are the only two set band can stop now. They literally didn’t practice and played all blues based jam tunes for the most part. 333,546. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

"Play" April 28, 2014, 09:57:05

And by Play that is used loosely when referring to Trey. His guitar playing was flat out embarrassing to this musician fan. 46 days anybody? Anybody?

timmy April 28, 2014, 11:03:06

I don’t apologize for any band. They answer for themselves.3.0 is a shell of there former selves. I don’t give a shit if they got the entire night to themselves. Jazz Fest is so much bigger and older than any one band. Phans are some of the most closed minded music lovers I’ve ever seen. They think the music world started and ended with Phish. If you go to Jazz Fest to see the “headliner” you have no clue what Jazz Fest is about. Bitching about one band’s performance proves how clueless you are about the spirit of Jazz Fest.

lots of mad phish fans April 28, 2014, 11:10:37

Wow, i started off reading a few of these and just couldn’t stop. This Kyle kid^^^ is literally the most butt hurt person ive ever heard of. I havent even heard thw set and i alrwady hate it. Stop smoking out of bongs with gasoline brah, “OK” that had me.dyin laughing… oh i cant wait for panic tour to start… a band who never disappoints

dogg April 28, 2014, 11:40:58

LOL at all the haters. Sucks you can’t enjoy Phish at Jazzfest for what it is. It always needs to be the “best evar” or it sucks and is embarrassing. Good God people lighten up a bit and have fun ffs. For the record, this was my 112th show since ’95 and my 9th jazzfest, and me and all my kids all had a blast.

Snoop dogg April 28, 2014, 11:49:51

Dog-
Fun is different than people critiquing Phish’s performance. I have not seen one person say they didn’t have fun. They said the band didn’t practice and it was a very bad Phish show. There is nothing wrong with that. I didn’t go, but have heard the show. I can say I wish I was in NOLA, even for Phish, but this is definitely one of the worst shows I have heard in the past few years. Is that ok? Is it ok for me to review the music in isolation? I didn’t have my kids or crawdads and Hurricanes flowing in NOLA, so I can only listen to this show. The context is merely the music, not the surroundings. I was just hoping for a good show to pump me up for the two shows I can hit this Summer. I am still sure I will have fun. I’m not so sure Phish will contribute to that more or my friends at the show at this point.

Patrick April 28, 2014, 11:50:30

You all are fucking idiots. Did anybody honestly expect Phish to bust out a show like night two of Lake Tahoe? Hello, IT’S A FESTIVAL.. WHICH MEANS THEYLL PLAY A FESTIVAL SET. Not unexpected. Phish wasn’t the biggest band playing y that weekend . I thought they did a great job. Trying to gain new fans while catering a little to followers. They did exactly what they needed to do.

Stayphishy April 28, 2014, 12:31:16

Music is about appreciation, no one can hate on a band.. I do not see any of you playing in thousands of fans every night sold out shows… It is simple if you do not like the artist playing don’t see them… If you haven’t notice their fall tour 2013 was unbelievable… They are rusty so what it happens to the best of bands… Music is about connecting the fans with the band and being one big family… If you do not want to be apart of Phish family than just don’t see them… People you cannot simply hate on a band for one bad show.. They create music for our pleasure, so why go out of your way to talk them down. If you don’t like them don’t see them it is that simple…

Kyle April 28, 2014, 12:31:32

@ all mad Phan maybe you should Learn to read. I said it was a bad show but listening to all the haters is getting fin old like real old. I hope they retire and blame it on jaded db’s. like u fools. Oh and I’ve seen panic so many times and walked thinking I only go bc they are in town. Why post hate on a thread makes no sense and maybe you should worry about your own butt before someone kicks it

dogg April 28, 2014, 12:47:34

@Snoop Dogg, I get what you’re saying. And you can say whatever you want. Don’t know why you felt the need to ask me. But it also kinda proves my point though that some people take this shit way too seriously. If that was the “worst show of the last few years” then it only confirms why I love Phish. They can play the “worst show of the last few years” and someone like me who has really enjoyed their music for 20 years can have a blast no matter what the setlist, no matter how many or how few jams, etc. And by the way, not for nothing but I feel like I’ve seen much worse shows than that in 3.0. For example, 6/18/09 was godawful, 6/19/10 pretty rough, 5/31/11 with a completely fucked version of Divided Sky. A bunch of clunker sets along the way… I’m frankly not a fan at all of first sets from 9/1/12 and 9/2/12, but Dicks is considered one of the best runs in 3.0. So it’s all relative. Obviously it’s all good. Obviously phish rocks. Obviously when people want to complain they can and should. But let’s also accentuate the positive (some pretty decent jams at jazzfest fairgrounds is a positive in my book) and look to the future. That’s what I call “going with the phlow”, know what i mean? No hard feelings at all to anyone who thinks it was bad. I just wish people would keep it real and keep it positive. And one last thing, sorry to ramble… but just like I still listen to highlights from my “worst shows” list (ie 6/18/09 Tube, 6/19/10 R&R > Free, 5/31/11 after midnight, etc), I will definitely be cranking this Nola set and its highlights for years to come, and every time I hear them, I’m sure that big-ass shit eating grin I wore all weekend will come back. And that’s why I go.

@dog April 28, 2014, 13:21:35

If you are cranking anything from set one or Hood or Light then you are a much better man than I. I almost ran my car into a phone pole but kids were in front of it as the band crawled gasping through 23 days upon listening. Realistically it was half as good as a practiced version of 46 days, thus 23 days. I am happy I get to see them this summer, but when the glow of jazziest depletes I am pretty sure nobody will dust this off in their archives for more than the time we have between now and when they start touring. It is just so obvious they didn’t practice and played or attempted to play tunes they can mail in. Rift is really the most difficult tune they attempted all night. Hilarious with their catalog. What’s wrong with Treys tone the entire show besides DWD and Boaf? He certainly sounds like he did 10 years ago, but that was 2004.

Phishmonster April 28, 2014, 13:23:39

Holy shit!!! You guys all suck!!! Phish is Phish. Not every show is going to be a ripper. To say it sucked is just naive. Tell me how bad you want to see them when it’s all over and they are not touring. Get a life you bunch of whiners!!
That is all.

Andrew Goodwin April 28, 2014, 14:05:25

2014 JazzPhest poster

MarZaPhiGar April 28, 2014, 15:34:08

The only thing dumber than Phish is arguing about them (he said, without a hint of irony).

MarZaPhiGar April 28, 2014, 15:34:10

Dirk Jirky April 28, 2014, 17:02:55

That was my first show in 13 years. I remember seeming the band a few times back throughout the mid 90s. Yeah, it was a little disappointing. I was expecting more, especially for the occasion of Jazz Fest.

GRATEFUL April 28, 2014, 17:53:34

Old fans complained that 90’s Dead wasn’t as good as the early years. And then the torch was passed…. Phish…good times, bad times, whatever…the torch will eventually be passed on again to the next kings of the jam scene. If you feel the need to post a response to defend your anonymous, cyberspace ‘pride’, then go crazy and ‘argue’.
Or you could do something positive in the real world, which would be better for you and your fellow man…like starting your own jam band. Peace

Kyle April 28, 2014, 19:50:53

Lol run your car into a pole what a joke. Glad some people came to the positive side. Treys time who cares maybe he was trying something new. Who are to tell a genius yes a genius what to do and how to do and when to do it. Phish owes you nothing. They all have families pushing 50 and they owe only their loved ones. And to compare this to anything to 2004 just shows how foolish and ignorant you really are and how you know nothing about playing music bc I u think that you are deaf. You certainly don’t play anything and hardly have enough knowledge to even listen. Go take a bong hit full of gasoline bro and I agree with the other Kyle meat would be great to get as an encore. Jaded vets have ruined this once positive scene. I remember my first show and thought it was over and a nice vet said no bro that was just the first set. Now it’s noob this noob that and that nice man was 1995! And I’ve paid it forward since 12-16-95 what do u do. I have a career a degree you smoke bongs with gasoline go find a tank and run tht car into a pole

Mike4life April 28, 2014, 21:39:07

Just so you fools know there are 2 kyle’s in this thread. One is a sick accoustic guitar player the other just a kid I know

I agree April 28, 2014, 22:48:37

Nobody should compare that Jazzfest show to 03 or 04. It was actually worse than every 2.0 show sans last night of Coventry to be fair

Betty Boop April 29, 2014, 00:37:38

Omg that show sucked but it was better than any of the Vegas 04 shows. Take a listen to those bad boys so almost all of 04 SUCKED pretty much like jaded male phish “phans”!!!

Suzy April 29, 2014, 00:47:28

For realz jambands has become the worst site ever and the people that read it know shite about music who cares about a bad live show. Y’all need tinge a life maybe check out one of the other 100 bands at the festival y’all really suck!

MarkEMark April 29, 2014, 00:57:05

Ok so here is how it is people that critique shows (lol) but the only thing they can do is bash other comments and insult people are just losers. Second fall 2013 rocked. Third nye rocked. And fourth pretty sure 2014 will rock. If you don’t like the “new” phish even though its more like 92-93 than ever stay the F home. Been seein phish and many other bands since 91 and I would rather hear a out people crapping on the venue lawn then read so called “critiques”. Oh you can read my articles in Guitar Mag if you don’t think I know about music.

LizardShit April 29, 2014, 02:37:51

I didn’t think it could get worse than Coventry. I was wrong… I realize the kiddy-creeper is busy with Esquire interviews, where he is making world changing revelations about his new wardrobe and hairstylist, but wtf? Maybe BAND practice before a show? “The Line” is the worst song off the worst album ever. Where the hell is Tom? Surely he has some new lizard material, or something pointless and random lying about. Fucking hell….. Hiatus continues forever #jazzfest

Guitar mag April 29, 2014, 11:21:16

Don’t pat yourself on the back pal. Guitar Mag ain’t the The New York Times, and frankly you guys are busy covering Kirk Hammet. Seriously, that makes your view no more valid. You are just a fan who got a job writing about music. You have read those articles. You tell me all those folks know music?? Hahahahhaha

Frank C April 29, 2014, 22:46:40

I did not see the show but… OMG... what a tough crowd!!! Having been to nearly 40 Phish shows I can safely say that I have been to my fair share disappointing ones.. I know it sucks, I HATE BAD shows, I’m super critical.. I get upset because Phans spend a lot of money to see their favorite band at one of the coolest festivals in North America and when they stink up the place it’s offensive & embarrassing. Now I find myself continuing to defend something I love ..
With that said, it’s okay to be critical as a fan, because I am, but come on!!! Can everyone please RELAX !!! They had a bad day- shit happens!! You people who love to hate can continue to listen to your bands play the same songs the same way and never challenge themselves while I’ll listen to my band create a sound that’ll put your DMB or Dispatch disc to shame.. I can guarantee that not one of you crushing this band has seen a good show or you would know better to judge from a festival set list. BTW.. How is this any different than your favorite football or baseball team getting smoked at home? Do Peyton Manning and the Broncos suck because they forgot to show up to the Superbowl? Are they dog-shit? Has the NFL “sold out” putting a bad product on the field? Do yourself a favor and go see a couple fucking shows this summer tour and come back and write your hateful trash on this forum after. Bottom line- there is not a more talented foursome out-there today. Clapton said it himself.. “Trey is the best guitarist to ever play”.
Your ears are most likely prude, and that’s okay… You do not know better, but try to get a grip thou. Thank you.

MarkEMark April 29, 2014, 23:41:08

Ya guitar mag has more readers than relix almost every other music MAg except RS COMBINED!! I got luck at nothing pal. Worked hard we t to school and got a job writing mostly about accoustic musicians opinions and rig set ups so do yourself a favor and open your mind I’ve interviewed Santana buddy guy and Michael houser and those heavy metal guys know their shit they just play what the love. I love jealousy I feed off it. That’s why go back stage while younsmoke dabs on the lawn lol clown

Not really April 30, 2014, 10:29:01

Guitar Mag sales guy. Luckily no dabs on the lawn for me. Meth and DMT in the backstage area or VIP section. My best friend is one of the largest agents in this here scene, so rarely do I pay or stand in the crowd. I’m glad you get perks for the job. Beats the shit out of pay right.

Markemarm April 30, 2014, 12:46:37

@notreally yes the sales are better by FAR and I love relix. You are nothing more than I show you mine you show me yours kinda guy with you always winning. See mee I go to all the scenes bc well you can have your one while I have them all clown. Oh and this is my fav scene but variety is the spice of life for those of us that don’t just have “ friends” in the scene but rather ARE IN THE SCENES CLOWN

TREY April 30, 2014, 12:34:32

yo this is trey anastasio and relix knows its turf

MarkEmark April 30, 2014, 17:56:10

@not real yup the perks are great an i get to and get paid to go to almost any show I want as long as there is a rig or guitar involved. The pay is great. Oh and bashing and the metal guys just shows your ignorance. One o the best artists we have ever had in our studio was SLASH!! Lick after lick jam after jam. They put him in a room closed the blinds and we had to guess who it was. A very famous jam band bassist was there guessing too. I won’t name drop but NO ONE GUESSED RIGHT. It was unreal. Guesses ranged from Clapton to Robbie Robertson to warren Haynes and it fas fin slash. Best day of work to this day. He just jammed and jammed he had a loop making it sound like a guitar duel with a slide and it was so sick the man can do anything. Just like Jerry trey Clapton bb buddy so just bc he plays metal rock means nothing him and this east coast Philly based bassist threw down all day while our editor at the time jammed on drums. At times it sounded like the Clapton allman out takes Yup I love me them perks while making a living. I’ve never worked a day in my life.

Joe May 2, 2014, 12:22:54

Blah fuckin’ Blah, Blah, Blah

don May 7, 2014, 13:27:46

BUMP

women high heels June 23, 2014, 23:58:14

I really enjoy the blog.Much thanks again. Fantastic.
women high heels http://www.qfxxt.com/arc.php?aid=3770