Published: 2014/05/13

Gregg Allman Agrees to Drop Lawsuit Against Midnight Rider Producers

Gregg Allman has agreed to drop his lawsuit against the producers of Midnight Rider. Allman’s lawyers and the attorneys for Unclaimed Freight Productions told a Savannah judge that they had reached an out-of-court agreement today, though no details about the pact were revealed.

As previously reported, Allman sued the producers of Midnight Rider—a biopic about his life—in order to halt production of the film after camera assistant Sarah Jones was killed in a tragic on-set accident in February. Allman contended that the production company no longer held the rights to his life story for a variety of reasons. The lawsuit was filed in Chathan County Superior Court on April 28, a week after the Allman Brothers Band singer urged director Randall Miller not to resume production on the film.

“I am writing to you as one human being to another, and appealing to you from my heart,” Allman said. “I am asking you from a personal perspective not to go forward.” Allman went on to say, “When the idea of you producing the film first came about, I was genuinely excited about the possibility of sharing my story with fans around the world. Unfortunately, all of that changed for me on February 20 of this year. While there may have been a possibility that the production might have resumed shortly after that, the reality of Sarah Jones’ tragic death, the loss suffered by the Jones family and injuries to the others involved has led me to realize that for you to continue production would be wrong.”

Allman was not present in court this morning, and his attorney told the judge that he remains in poor health.

Comments

Doc Holliday May 13, 2014, 10:57:08

Money Talks.

Blooby May 13, 2014, 11:06:05

“Allman was not present in court on Tuesday, and his attorney told the judge that he remains in poor health.” I thought he was better since canceling the Australia dates due to his wrist. Did I miss something?

Debbie Downer May 13, 2014, 11:18:22

I don’t think you missed anything. It is impossible to keep up with Gregg’s health and well being. Mentally and physically. He is constantly contradicting himself (as shown thru the Warren/Derek departure) and every time he cant finish a show there is a new excuse. As much as a fan that I am, I cant wait for this circus to be over. Instead of tarnishing a great name by over charging people to see concerts that the lead singer cannot perform at, let the name live on thru some great studio and live performances.

PM May 13, 2014, 11:56:14

I read the book and didn’t think it was so interesting that it needed to be made into a movie.

PM May 13, 2014, 11:58:26

I agree debbie, he was supposed to be at the Dr. John tribute show 5/3 in New Orleans but he was a no show

Caro May 13, 2014, 12:10:24

It’s Chatham County. With an M.

M May 13, 2014, 12:15:26

One of the OG ABB’s need to pull him aside and now out gracefully. He’s not doing his legacy any good by all these announcements, cancelled or unfinished shows etc. I love the ABB but maybe it’s time to hang it up?

todd May 13, 2014, 12:26:34

You mean it is not obvious that Derek and Warren are trying to get him to let the band bow out gracefully? Of course when your aces tell you to bring it to an end it is time but Gregg is not exactly capable of logical thinking at this point. The current fiasco is EXACTLY what Warren and Derek were hoping to avoid but they could not make it happen in time as they had only hoped Gregg could make it through this year..

Donna Reeder May 13, 2014, 14:10:00

Best wishes to Gregory, always. The road goes on forever.

dk70 May 13, 2014, 14:25:33

Muddy Waters, Albert King, Levon Helm, Frank Sinatra, etc. all played to the very end. So will Gregg Allman, live and let live.

Inez May 13, 2014, 14:35:24

Gregg has been seriously sick for a long time, and I think it would be really nice if all of us who have loved and enjoyed his music, would pray for him. I was Blessed to see him this past summer. There is much that some of you do not know about Gregg Allman. If he were able to only stand on that stage and sing, one song…..I would gratefully pay to see him again. God Bless You Gregg !!!!

Peach May 13, 2014, 15:37:51

Seems to me Gregory is using again…

Jimmy Ellis May 13, 2014, 16:28:44

PM, I also read the Allman book and wasn’t that impressed but that is just my opinion ok. To me a film based on that book would be one of those movies my wife likes to watch on THE LIFETIME channel.

Joshua Katt May 13, 2014, 18:40:41

And ABB is the ultimate headliner at the Locken Festival this year? Anyone foolish enough to pay the ridiculous VIP and SuperVIP prices best be prepared to be disappointed come that Sunday. Oh, wait, they’ll make it up with a “special acoustic performance” on the Triangle stage after a 3 mile walk because the promised golf carts won’t materialize again!

anon May 19, 2014, 16:39:23

Gregg could not make court, but can preform on tour, wonder how long excuses will hold up with the judge ha

Richard Hertz May 26, 2014, 02:10:26

Gregg got My Momma with child… back in the 1980’s…. and we are twins…look both like him… he’s our Big Daddy…
Sasha and Meghan