Gregg Allman Agrees to Drop Lawsuit Against Midnight Rider Producers
Gregg Allman has agreed to drop his lawsuit against the producers of Midnight Rider. Allman’s lawyers and the attorneys for Unclaimed Freight Productions told a Savannah judge that they had reached an out-of-court agreement today, though no details about the pact were revealed.
As previously reported, Allman sued the producers of Midnight Rider—a biopic about his life—in order to halt production of the film after camera assistant Sarah Jones was killed in a tragic on-set accident in February. Allman contended that the production company no longer held the rights to his life story for a variety of reasons. The lawsuit was filed in Chathan County Superior Court on April 28, a week after the Allman Brothers Band singer urged director Randall Miller not to resume production on the film.
“I am writing to you as one human being to another, and appealing to you from my heart,” Allman said. “I am asking you from a personal perspective not to go forward.” Allman went on to say, “When the idea of you producing the film first came about, I was genuinely excited about the possibility of sharing my story with fans around the world. Unfortunately, all of that changed for me on February 20 of this year. While there may have been a possibility that the production might have resumed shortly after that, the reality of Sarah Jones’ tragic death, the loss suffered by the Jones family and injuries to the others involved has led me to realize that for you to continue production would be wrong.”
Allman was not present in court this morning, and his attorney told the judge that he remains in poor health.