Published: 2014/07/02

Gregg Allman Checks Himself Into Hospital; Tour Postponed

Gregg Allman reportedly checked himself into a hospital on Monday, a day before canceling three shows, according to The Oregonian. While no details have been released as to why Allman decided to check himself in, his show in Seattle scheduled for tonight is cancelled and his July 5 show in Spokane, WA has been postponed, the venues announced.

Peter Dammann, the Waterfront Blues Festival artistic director, recounted the story to The Oregonian. “This morning I called up his agent and said, ‘What’s going on?’ They said, ‘We’re evaluating, we’ll get back to you.’ A couple hours later, I got a note from management that said, ‘We’re canceling the whole tour.’ They didn’t give us any specifics on what’s happening with Gregg.”

This is another chapter in a long line of health issues for Allman this year. He previously had to pull out of the Allman Brothers Band’s Beacon run due to a battle with bronchitis and also injured his wrist during the band’s set at Wanee, forcing additional postponements.

Along with his scheduled solo gigs, Allman also has several appearances with the ABB remaining including slots at the Peach Music Festival, Lockn’ Festival and the remaining Beacon Theatre gigs in October.

Comments

Voracious Stegosaurus July 2, 2014, 11:01:34

I hope he’s OK, but it’s time to hang it up I fear.

Peach4Peace July 2, 2014, 11:28:55

Gregg’s livelihood depends on his physical presence, and due to his wealth of money, health resources, and tour responsibilities I very much fear he has been propping himself up for a while now on extreme treatments. This man deserves to age gracefully and if staying off the stage can see that through, than I’m in full support.

Terry Mulvey July 2, 2014, 11:32:19

Take Good Care Of Yourself …...Gregg….Hope Your Up & Running Again Soon…....Keep On Rockin…..All The Best….T.

taterrific1 July 2, 2014, 11:41:50

It looks like Gregg’s health is deteriorating more rapidly than we thought. He has had a great run, but it may be time to “hang it up.” I would rather see him retire, have time to relax and spend some of his money. Wherever he decides to retire, he could play an annual gig or two to keep his juices flowing while not having to suffer from the strain of being on the road. I want to go to Lock’n and see the ABB one last time, but if it’s a choice between Gregg retiring now or dying early, I would much rather see him retire now and have the rest of the band do tribute shows with special guests for the remaining ABB gigs.

Frank S, Piazza July 2, 2014, 11:43:47

Get you self healthy Brothah’ Gregg. The road will be there for you & your fans will understand. Take care, Rest lots & may God continue to Bless you brother.

Catherine July 2, 2014, 11:48:23

Prayers for returned good health and speedy recovery! Hope we see him back on tour if that what he wants.

Joshua Katt July 2, 2014, 11:56:32

You Locken people are F’ed as I predicted months ago…

john July 2, 2014, 11:57:27

BEING KIND TO OURSELVES AINT AS EASY AS IT SOUNDS , SOMETIMES THATS WHAT WE GOTTA DO , AND MORE OFTEN , ... AND IT SHOULD START AS CHILDREN ... TAKE IT EASY GREGG ... x

Rene July 2, 2014, 12:01:08

Praying for you Gregg. Godspeed on getting well. We love you and only want the best for you.

Phineass J July 2, 2014, 12:04:16

I love the Allmans, that being said everyone I’ve ever met that knows Gregg well has the same start to every story about him. They all start with “that dude owes me money”...just saying!

Ken July 2, 2014, 12:07:02

You’ve given us a lifetime of briliant music and memories. Feel better soon brother , Love you man.

Amy in Seattle July 2, 2014, 12:09:31

Prayers for Gregg !!! Lit and candle, prayed for Gregory to get better !!! Keep your Faith my friend….. God will heal your illness….. Much Love from Seattle !!!

Andrew July 2, 2014, 12:10:42

Why does he keep booking shows? he needs to just take care of his health and then worry about potentially doing shows once his health is taken care of. He probably has more cancelled shows in 2013 & 2014 than shows actually played.

Dave the slave July 2, 2014, 12:20:08

It looks like he should follow Clapton’s lead and retire.

Jo Michelle July 2, 2014, 12:25:16

Hey Soulshine rest and take care of yourself. See you on the flipside

Aminoordin Kader July 2, 2014, 12:26:41

Get well soon Gregg from Malaysia

Blues...Man July 2, 2014, 12:27:53

Just saw him in Arizona less than 2 weeks ago. Came away acknowledging the legend, his music and his impact on rock and blues. Live while you can.

arleen July 2, 2014, 12:29:33

Take care of yourself Gregg…..speedy recovery to you!

Lisa Chesley July 2, 2014, 12:29:46

Just saw the concert in Santa Rosa Beach and he definitely still has it. The whole band sounded really tight. I did notice he had a wrist wrap on. We love you Gregg and may God bless you. Rock on!

Greg Mulehead July 2, 2014, 12:45:50

This is starting to resemble the last years of Jerry Garcia. As much as I would love to see one last Atlanta ABB show I would rather see Gregg retire than die soon. Maybe just play Wanee every year would be a good idea.

Evelyn July 2, 2014, 12:49:27

Take care from one hepper to another.

rodeoman July 2, 2014, 12:53:32

I saw Gregg perform last Friday, June 27th, at Eagle Mountain Casino in California. He did not look good, rather frail with puffy cheeks, and left the stage mid-show in what appeared to be an unexpected departure. The band played an instrumental jam for about 15 minutes, and then he came back on stage and finished the show. I must say, though, he performed and sounded good, and was gracious to the crowd with two encores. The band was very good, the horn section really rocked, and Marc Quinones gave a great performance. But I left the show worried about his health, and had a sad feeling that I might not see him perform again, and that goes back to 40 years of seeing him and ABB at concerts. Get well Gregg, we’re all thinking of you.

Debbie July 2, 2014, 12:55:53

Take care of yourself Gregg…..sending my thoughts and prayers for speedy recovery….just sit back and chill for a bit…..

Mr.E July 2, 2014, 13:02:30

I have a bad feeling about this…all good vibes and hope for Gregg.

Robert July 2, 2014, 13:06:48

Prayers and gratitude Brother.

Beverly July 2, 2014, 13:10:59

Sending my prayers!!

Sylvia VanHoy July 2, 2014, 13:11:36

Praying that this is nothing too serious & that you will soon be on the mend. You have been one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriter & musicians since the ABB cut the first record. You are a national treasure, so please take good care of yourself. Give yourself time to heal! Your fans aren’t going anywhere, we’ll all still be here when you’re healthy once again. I agree with other fans, that if touring is going to continue to affect your health, we will understand if it’s time to dial things back now. You’ve had an awesome run, maybe it’s time to stop & enjoy the fruits of your labor. Love you man. πŸŽΆπŸ’œπŸŽΉπŸŽΆ

Forrest Bishop July 2, 2014, 13:13:06

I hate hearing this. I have been a fan of ABB since day one at Piedmont Park when it was the original band. I have read that liver transplants only last about five years. I hope that is not the case with Gregg. When we lose him it’s going to be a sad day for us all.

Andrew Cavanaugh July 2, 2014, 13:28:06

Greg: Thank YOU for all these years of Great entertainment!!! I met you in person in Columbus, GA in a lounge back in the early 1980s; we drank a couple of beers together. I enjoyed the conversation we had. Take care of yourself, even if this means retirement. God Bless You, Andy C.

Mark C. in Md. July 2, 2014, 13:29:07

Gregg take good care of yourself please and thank you and the brothers for all these years of soulful, timeless music! We will catch you on the “flipflop” my man. Love ya brother!!

Judi Ottaway July 2, 2014, 13:32:34

So sad to hear that Greg is not doing well. I have loved him and his music for a long time. My brothers were older than me and they turned me onto the ABB when I was about 5 and I have loved them ever since. Have seen Greg in concert several times and he is amazing but I agree that if touring is too much for him he should retire. I would rather go on listening to the ABB band and know that Greg is retired and taking care of himself then listen to ABB and know that Greg is no longer with us. Your fans will understand. Love Ya and hope to hear you are doing well real soon.

Allan Pruitt July 2, 2014, 13:37:21

Godspeed, take care of yourself all of the many fans will be waiting…do what you need to do.
You have many thoughts and prayers with you.

James Chesnut July 2, 2014, 13:39:17

Just take care of YOU for now please. I am almost 56 years now. The first Concert I ever went to was The ALLMAN BROTHER BAND in sixth grade at The PARAMOUNT NORTHWEST in SEATTLE,. MANY MOONS AGO. Greg. You have left a legacy and played a big part in many of our lives for at least 42 years. Influenced many of us over the years. Hear one of your own songs or The All man’s and fond memories flood in. LIVE AT FILLMORE EAST.... EAT A PEACH. Classics. THANK YOU KINDLY for sharing your gift and being a part of millions of our lives. Heal up…whatever it might be. Rest. RE TIRE IF YOU MUST. I speak for many when I say from my Native American HEART, THANK YOU. THANKS FOR A LIFE TIME OF FINE MEMORIES. From that 12 year old boy That saw you at the PARAMOUNT all those years ago. BLESS YOU. I wish you the best. Love James Chesnut.

Jeff Broadhurst July 2, 2014, 13:39:44

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I have enjoyed your music every day since I saw one of your first shows at Piedmont park in Atlanta in the early 70’s.

Martha Williams July 2, 2014, 13:47:56

Take care Gregg. That is first and above all…you have lived your life with all sorts of people wanting and taking from you. I liken this to being pecked to death by chickens, it takes a toll on a person. You have given and many have always received and enjoyed your talent. Now, get better take care of your healh

Donnajean July 2, 2014, 14:06:58

Gregg take care of yourself. That is most important!! I am sad that I won’t see and hear you in Seattle or Spokane as planned. BUT I will travel to another venue when you’re back up and runnin’. In the meantime, God Bless and we’re all routin for you. XXOO

Mike Ray July 2, 2014, 14:23:15

Prayers Gregg…

Ezzulus July 2, 2014, 14:36:19

Glad Gregg checked himself, cause he already wrecked himself.

Ted Quitevis July 2, 2014, 14:45:39

Just met him backstage at Thunder Valley, CA. He was very frail but put on a great show. I have terminal cancer and he wanted to meet me when he played the Santa Cruz blues festival but I had to be taken from the show by ambulance and didn’t get to hook up. Made it to this show and I’m glad we did. Get well Gregg

Kathy July 2, 2014, 14:50:34

Gregg, sorry all these people have you dead and buried. Just take care of yourself and get well soon. Sending thoughts, prayers and love your way. You are the best and always will be!

Road Goes On July 2, 2014, 14:53:21

I would rather Gregg cut the solo stuff and we get as many ABB shows as possible!!!!

Terri Wilk July 2, 2014, 15:05:57

I agree with everyone here. We love you. I’ve been blessed to see you 11 times thru the years. Your health is more important than seeing you 1 more time. I, like most here are true ABB fans and have most if not all your recordings. Get well. You are in my prayers.

Resa July 2, 2014, 15:27:52

So sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, Gregg. Hope you feel better soon. I just saw you at Thunder Valley this past Saturday night and it was a great show. Thanks and take care.

Elizabethvgroark July 2, 2014, 15:36:14

Hey Greg take care of yourself. I too have seen the ABB mant many times. In Philadelphia and also Pittsburgh and just love the band. Take care of yourself.

Cherie Stagg July 2, 2014, 15:55:33

Best wishes Gregg. ABB has always been my husbands fav band. Better to not push now and hopefully come back next year.

Kathryn July 2, 2014, 15:55:37

I hope the best for Greg’s recovery from whatever it may be but my question is why are they saying that he checked himself into the hospital and not he was admitted to the hospital that just does not sound right. They need to rephrase that so it doesn’t sound he is in rehab or something!

Cindy Brown July 2, 2014, 16:13:21

Gregg I love you with all my heart . You have given me such comfort in listening to your music. You have made me laugh and cry.
I will be sending my prayers out to ya. I have a tiny hunch that you have pushing yourself hard these days… take good care and God willing I will see you again…playing of course… it runs in your blood ! Peace and Love.

Sheenah July 2, 2014, 16:16:22

“Retiring” and NOT playing shows..or trying to play shows would kill him sooner. That’s a fact. True fans understand if he has to cancel a show. He still performs great and is worth seeing if you can.

Michael Ryan July 2, 2014, 16:49:30

I heard Gregg say one time that he would play until they took him off on a stretcher. That time may be near my friend. Thanks for all the years of Rockin it. You touched so many lives.

steve July 2, 2014, 16:58:01

Gregg, I have seen MANY ABB and solo shows over the years and have loved everyone of them. My first ever Beacon show was postponed in March, but was rescheduled for October. As much as I want that show to happen, your health means more to a true fan than to selfishly desire one more appearance. PLEASE take care of yourself and we’ll be ready when you are!

Guy July 2, 2014, 17:13:07

...“don’t forget the pouring rain….”

Dean July 2, 2014, 17:20:23

From an “old” classmate at Daytona Seabreeze, maybe it’s time to go home. Take care and get well

jan July 2, 2014, 17:41:13

Blessed Be Gregg Allman , send healing thoughts your way…....

Sally July 2, 2014, 19:47:47

We just saw Gregg in Las Vegas and he looked frail. He still performed great but looked sick! Get Well your fans will wait for you!
If you retire for your health we support you!i rather you quit touring then die touring

Charlie July 2, 2014, 20:25:44

I just saw Gregg on June 28th at Thunder Valley Casino in Lincoln, Ca. The concert was great, but I did notice that he looked very thin, and the guy that I was standing with said the same thing. I wish him all the best, and hope he gets well soon!

LA Large July 2, 2014, 20:43:09

stop friggin touring and get better

Dane jackson July 2, 2014, 20:44:31

My first real rock concert was the ABB for a can of food in southwest Florida,and it rocked! Its been 25 yrs. ago but I was looking forward to this solo show… Please get well may are prayers be with you brother.

Becky July 2, 2014, 21:12:08

Love you, Greg. Prayers to you.

Mary July 2, 2014, 21:22:43

Wishing you wellness – please take the time to recover & rest!!! Would love to see you take some time to Enjoy your life – you’ve given so much happiness to others!!!! Get well soon & take care of YOU & again THX :) !!!!!

Mary July 2, 2014, 21:38:56

Wishing Gregg wellness -recover, rest, get strong & take care of YOU!!! Really want you to slow down & Enjoy this time of your life – THX :) for all the joy you have given me!!!

Terri July 2, 2014, 23:58:34

Prayers and peace !

Steve July 3, 2014, 00:03:22

Take care and get well Gregg. You and Duane’s music has been an inspiration to me since I first heard you all in 1970. Berry, Butch, Dickie and Jaimoe there has never been a tighter band.

rhonda July 3, 2014, 00:49:53

Hard to summarize my thoughts and feelings about Greg and the ABB.......wow….had a crush on Duane and Greg in my teens…named my son Duane.have loved their music through the years…saw ABB and Greg about a year ago in New Orleans at house of blues.our generation is aging…yes it’s the circle of life….but I think it sucks! I do hold comfort and pride of our generation…our culture…our. music….we were cool…we cared about peace and love…we listened and had a a bond in our rock and roll rebellion ! Keep rockin Greg for as long as you can your music has brought much joy to my life !

rhonda July 3, 2014, 00:50:49

Woodrow July 3, 2014, 01:05:50

Gregg, Sharing your talent around the world, you have helped bring many people together. Was truly pumped to see you this Sunday at the Waterfront Blues Fest in Portland, but will catch you the next time around. Today I received ‘Live at Fillmore West’ CD in the mail. Right now listening to one of my all-time fav’s, ‘Whipping Post’ as I type this. Thinking of you brother. Fight on!

valerie July 3, 2014, 02:29:20

Get well soon Greg, and thanks for being apart of my life for over 40 years. Saw ABB in Saratoga NY last year..what a great show!!! Steve Winwood opened. Had to see you one more time in Phoenix, so glad I did. You and your band rocked! If I was still living in the Seattle I would have been very disappointed. Thank you for all the great music

anita miracle July 3, 2014, 07:06:37

Karma

Mr. X July 3, 2014, 07:34:53

Get well soon Gregg. Thank you for the music and wonderful experiences at shows both with the ABB and your band.

phkbell July 3, 2014, 07:42:11

Yes, yes, I support this drift. Gregg, some time along it’d be wonderful for you to fulfil that extra dream of writing an album of songs, an energy drain in itself, but touring is so demanding for anyone. We all love you anyway. Take care of that beautiful human being with that ethereal blues voice inside. Get well ;-)

pat kleckner July 3, 2014, 08:43:17

Praying to the big guy for you ..Your not just some artist ..your a part of my soul ..please ..stop and sit a while ….β™₯

Bill Harriman July 3, 2014, 09:15:21

It’s nice to see all the love for Gregg being posted. He deserves it. Get well soon Brother Gregg and do what’s best for you.

Ted Diamond July 3, 2014, 09:40:48

Get well, Brother. Was looking forward to seeing you in Seattle, but, oh well, best laid plans. Just get well.

Martha Becker July 3, 2014, 10:22:50

I saw ABB in June of 69 in Boston. So, I’m old and beat. So, Greg, I know. Easy to say but, be a little selfish and put yourself first.

Malcolm Berger July 3, 2014, 17:32:54

from the guy who is sitting next to the guy who yelled out with and post on the live at the Fillmore album we hope you get well real soon

marcus July 3, 2014, 18:22:32

TO A BROTHER FROM ANOTHER
SAD WE MISSED YOU IN SEATTLE..
You are THE MAN....“oh those neighbors they be talk’n bout things that they don’t know.”
Feel better Brother.!! Eat a Peach

Patricia Eggman July 3, 2014, 18:30:00

I saw Gregg and band at Eagle Mountain Casino in Porterville Ca. June 27th. Hope the trek up that mountain didn’t stress him out. concert was great and his voice was good. Get well soon and keep on rockin

Steve July 3, 2014, 22:44:27

IF this illness that you are suffering from Mr. Allman is as serious as I fear, then why not bring Dickey back to the final Beacon shows? Everyone one of us is fighting father time and life’s too short. PLEASE bury the hatchet and bring Dickey back for one more run!!! Maybe you guys can reconcile your relationship…I think Duane would want that.

Deadman July 4, 2014, 11:18:18

I certainly hope Gregg gets well soon! Why do they keep scheduling more shows when they know he is not 100%? I’m not a doctor, but the goal should have been to honor his ABB commitments for this year. He has the rest of his performing career to worry about solo shows. We keep going out and paying big bucks for these final 2014 ABB shows and we don’t even know if he’ll be able to perform. Where do the fans figure in this? I’m not that excited to see the ABB without Gregg. If this is the final year of the ABB,that should be their #1 priority as far as performing goes.

EJ Davis July 4, 2014, 12:05:02

Gregg I am praying that you will feel stronger soon. Feel better, get some needed rest and you’ll be rock in’ in no time!

Elyce July 4, 2014, 22:56:38

Dearest Gregory, I’m praying my heart out for you.Begging God to keep you well. I don’t know you but I love you very much. Your a sweet man.And have given this world so much pleasure w/ your music. You have helped me with it. God bless you and take it easy! Elyce O,Leary. Luv us.

Patricia Eggman July 6, 2014, 12:39:53

It was 110 at the Eagle Moutain Casino June 27th. Wait until Fall and try it again. too good to Quit. Love ‘im my Georgia anti-Angel. He’ gonna make it. Go away nay sayers. The band is terrific. Gregg is still sexy from where I was stairing.

Bobby July 7, 2014, 03:11:07

Can’t we get through one story about Gregg Allman without the idiots asking for Dickey to rejoin the ABB? Is that too much to ask?

DC July 7, 2014, 10:12:25

Not sure Gregory’s been taking his own advice, as noted toward the end of his book, about watching his health and keeping in balance with his desire to work

Debi B July 7, 2014, 19:31:19

I have so many years of wonderful music,by Greg Allman,going all the way back to 1970,when I first heard that voice..We all gettin’ old,brother,REST!

gregg fan July 8, 2014, 19:07:50

Get well Gregg. the hell with touring ,get your talented solo band in the studio to record those songs you have wrote.

dk70 July 9, 2014, 09:12:24

Get well Brother Gregg! I DO want you to keep performing live because that is what ultimately keeps you ALIVE. Non musicians will never understand that.

Jim July 9, 2014, 11:42:17

I’m not as old as Allman but I know if I have to drive a long way to a show then I’m all stiff and stoved up for a day or so. I know he has multiple health issues but at his age just the amount of travel needed for touring and setting there cramped up for hours going to gigs has got to take it’s toll. I’m guessing something like the Beacon is much better where you are there for a while and don’t have to travel long distances back and forth every day. Maybe he can do more of that stuff.

dmoney July 13, 2014, 09:35:03

Stop fucking playing.Give it up.Its over.