Published: 2014/07/06

RatDog Play Without Bob Weir in Las Vegas

While Bob Weir & RatDog were supposed to perform at The Palms in Las Vegas, the frontman was reportedly under the weather and did not take the stage via a tweet from the venue. RatDog would soldier on without Weir and perform a one-set show with Jay Lane on vocals. Full refunds were offered to ticketholders.

Highlights from the unique show included the first “Hey Pocky Way” since February 9, 2005, or 360 shows. The band also dug into an instrumental version of “Stella Blue” as well as takes on “Not Fade Away,” “Dear Prudence” and “Shakedown Street.”

The audience was told Weir was ill and had been advised not to perform. No further information on the guitarist’s condition was made available. Weir and RatDog will play Humphrey’s Concerts By the Bay in San Diego, CA tonight.

Here’s a look at the setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Bob Weir & RatDog
Pearl Concert Theater, Las Vegas, NV

Set I: U.S. Blues, Hey Pocky Way, Big Boss Man, Loser, I Need a Miracle, Stella Blue (instrumental), Not Fade Away, The Music Never Stopped, Dear Prudence, Shakedown Street, Ramble On Rose, Minglewood Blues

Notes: Show played without Bob Weir

Comments

Barkeep July 6, 2014, 14:51:55

Maybe you had to much to fast (rumor is drunk at the bar all afternoon) and just overplayed your part! Say what you want about Jill Lesh, she wouldn’t let that crap happen on Phil tour.

DJ Damage July 6, 2014, 15:17:14

WWWHHHOOOAAA!!! Finally a reason to actually go to a Ratdog show! This will go down in history as the best RD show since their inception…Hittin’ the juice a little early, heh Buttfuckles Mc Twatt??? Come on, the question isn’t why did this happen, rather when. And now we know the answer. Even the most faithful of followers have to be cynical now, no? So spin away fruitcakes, the party is finally over (unless you’re BFMcT of course) and find another piper who pipes (not the crack pipe of course…). Oh Buttfuclkles, we hardly knew ye….BFMcT is a disgrace to his craft and unless he gets himself into rehab post haste someone else will have to wear the beard and boardshorts….Could it have been the “Loose Lucy” given to BFMcT by Bill Walton ON STAGE?!?!?!?!? We’ll probably never know….Freak the drums Jay and get back to an outfit that can hold their booze and steers clear of the oxies…Such as The Freaky Executives????

Jerry's Kid July 6, 2014, 15:22:34

Usually I think DJ Dumbass is a total dickhead, but he hit the nail on the head this time. Staff at the Palms reportedly warned Bobby to hold back, and apparently he hit on a cocktail waitress and was slapped for doing so. I cry when I read this and only hope Bobby can do the right thing, dedicate himself to his craft and family and go down the road feelin’ good. Thanks DJ, you are for once the voice of reason.

Nelson Munch July 6, 2014, 15:44:09

HAAAA-HAAAA!!!!!!

drasticjasper July 6, 2014, 17:00:04

I personally think DJ Damage and Dave the Slave are hilarious…I don’t always agree but they are usually pretty damn funny…I really have lost interest in Booby and Phil because they play so god damn slow it’s like seeing a dead show on a handful of quaaludes…yeah E bobby go to the E it goes to E next wait for it damn only 1st song and my paont is dry and time to mow the lawn again…meanwhile Widespread Panic have been destroying entire cities the last few tours…moe was ok at the potfest but too many new songs…I live right near sweetwater and terrapin crossroads and we don’t even go because it’s sooooo fucking boring

Punch line please July 6, 2014, 17:05:49

So Bob Weir and Carrot Top walk into a bar…

Joshua Katt July 6, 2014, 17:06:17

Let’s all give this living American Legend the benefit of the doubt since these are just rumors. And even if true, so what, he deserves a break and a misstep every so often, we all do. I was there the night of the Capitol stumble and 2 nights later in AC and the man is still a god among singer/guitarists/songwriters

funkyriddims July 6, 2014, 17:52:57

Thats a shame. Hope Bobby is ok.

Joshua Kat July 6, 2014, 18:35:48

“I really have lost interest in Booby and Phil because they play so god damn slow it’s like seeing a dead show on a handful of quaaludes” I’m going to agree with you on that one except when they play together in Furthur. For whatever reason, they both get swept up by the rest of the band a play along…

timmy July 6, 2014, 20:04:45

I will defend Bobby and Phil till the day I die. Are they past their prime? Yes. But so what? The Music Never Stopped. I hope them and Bob Dylan keep playin until they die. It’s all about performing in the moment, and outliving all their haters. Fuck all you whiney bitches.

Mike July 6, 2014, 20:05:36

This happened in San Diego as well a few years back. People pay good money to see a show, not an old drunk falling down. Wake up, the road does not go on forever. 30 Minutes from the Sd show tonight, and don’t give a sh#t

Ol' Henry July 6, 2014, 20:55:18

The story gets more sordid. According to a Palms insider Bob allegedly groped the cocktail waitress and was on his way to the drunk tank when the waitress decided to have mercy upon him and decided against pressing charges. Police were called, a report exists and the rest, as they say, is history. Looks like Bob wants to join the Mike Gordon “Club of Sexually Related Infamy”. Please Bob, get help. The last thing we need is a legacy that includes charges and potential OD without the possibility of redeeming oneself. I for one will boycott all shows until an attempt at cleaning up is attempted. Get well Bob.

Daniel the dingo boy Morris July 6, 2014, 21:19:03

meanwhile back @ the ranch….
Lost Sailor
see you in September in Cincy with CRB

TCinNYC July 6, 2014, 22:05:41

I feel bad for Bobby. Get better Ace.

KB July 6, 2014, 22:37:35

I have read several posts lately that mention an artist being too old and they should hang it up…you never hear that about Willie Nelson. I wonder why that is? I love all of the musicians involved so I don’t have a dog in this fight…just a thought that came to me.

MarZaPhiGar July 6, 2014, 23:07:22

Remember a few yrs ago when Furthur played NYC (the Beacon? Too lazy to look it up) right before the Vibes & Bobby had to be helped off the stage after totally losing his shit during El Paso? An anomoly, they said. Saw it on youtube; only time I had ever heard rampant boo-birds in the house at any show…an anomoly they said…

Das Singley July 7, 2014, 00:38:41

Bobby grabbed a waitresses ass , and you’re surprised ? That what rock stars and men do! And they drink, and raise a ruckus , you go Bobby , that’s why I dig the. Dead, and all you purists can go see Widespread Panic , they’re the ones who suck!

Bill July 7, 2014, 09:07:45

I agree with TC.

Phil July 7, 2014, 12:03:46

New speedway boogie

Noodles July 7, 2014, 12:16:29

Bobby is not looking great we all know. Mixing booze and pills is the easiest sign of poly abuse issues to identify. Who knows what is going thru his brain?? These substances can change the brain, over time. On the other hand, these same medicines used correctly will allow one to remain gainfully employed if under proper care and NOT abusing. They allow one to single out the root issues causing the shoulder pain connected to a neck per example. Bobby is by no means out of it, he is well aware of his legacy, his business, venue issues be it the sound, lighting or enjoyment comforts- the biz of the biz. If he could get in some RnR he will quickly once again look his age, increase energy and be capable of the road trips. We all know these are hard even when only a few cities for multi night runs. Normal hard core business travelers must rest up, rock stars times two. The root cause for him not to, money obligations and ego has taken over the brain. BPI injuries are about the hardest to ID and patients remain on Meds and therapy forever – managing these Meds and learning how to live in peace with it, takes time.

JB July 7, 2014, 15:53:39

Bobby is not worth seeing anymore, but Steve Kimock is! I’ll be there as long as Kimock’s crushing it! Take me away Steve, far far away…

DancinFool July 8, 2014, 01:05:21

Although I was disappointed and concerned about Bobby, I was so impressed with his band. They stepped up and delivered a decent 2 hour plus of music for the fans. The could have easily just cancelled it altogether, but they rose to the occasion and rocked the place without him. They crowd was super high and it would have sucked to be turned out to the casino in that state. The band rocked. Stella w the pedal steel was soulful, awesome and sad. Bobby’s boys delivered. I wouldn’t have wanted to suffer through seeing Bob too high to deal either, give him a break, everybody fucks up once in a while.

Marko July 8, 2014, 13:22:13

Sad, yes, whatever happened in Vegas—but I gotta say Weir sounded fantastic on 7/6.

Wrecking krew July 8, 2014, 15:25:36

Damage we r coming for ur life

notjoes July 8, 2014, 22:24:28

Saw last nights show and all I have to say is it was MEH at best.

Gari Lynn Barber July 9, 2014, 18:45:29

Saw the whole band the two nights previous to Vegas and they were STELLAR ! The Band was strong,yet I did notice Bob seemed tired. Tired…that was all. No Drugs,Booze or inappropriate behavior.
I find it hard to believe that a musician such as himself who has a lovely family and runs a rockin studio like TRI would behave in such a manner that some of you posters have eluded to.I wish him well in health and peace in life.

Grateful Dill July 10, 2014, 19:47:21

Back off Bobby. If I had a million I would get my own personal show. We would smoke drink and do whatever he wanted. All the years worth of entertainment he has given us he has free pass in my book.

Grateful Dill July 10, 2014, 19:47:23

Kshoes July 12, 2014, 00:11:02

It appears Bobby is an alcoholic, most likely also a drug abuser. Once you admit that, the rest if the story is fairly ordinary. For his age he is resilient in the addiction and others of his time either have quit or are dead, not gratefully. It’s anybody’s guess if he will live to see 70, Jerry didn’t make 53 and he died in rehab. Phil has AA meetings in the lobby for a reason. Maybe Bobby will go to one, then we might get to see another chapter in the long strange trip. Otherwise it’s just a long slow decline with an “accident” always around the corner.

Sean July 12, 2014, 11:43:18

Are you people for real? Who fucking cares. Bobby didn’t make the show. Get the fuck over it. Anyone that had a ticket could get a full refund. He’s a human being, he didn’t make one show.

Tbeers July 12, 2014, 12:08:34

Widespread Panic? Suck so bad!
Bless Bob for playing at all. He doesn’t need to. I love Bob Weir and hope he does what he needs to do

Pam July 14, 2014, 01:37:54

The bartender at the humphreys pool bar where they played in San Diego worked backstage at the show. He said Bobby missed the show because he was hanging out with Sammy Haggar. And any real deadhead forgives him. Of course he deserves to sit one show out. Anyone who thinks otherwise aren’t real lovers of the dead. Not family. Doesn’t matter what they think anyway.

johnnyshowgoer July 18, 2014, 22:53:12

I was going try to make Ratdog and Chris Robinson in NYC in August, but after hearing of Bob’s behavior recently, I am going to pass. I don’t want to waste money and be let down. Bob get help brother, we love you, but you are crumbling. Trust me, I have been loyal since 1982, please get “help” I hope it is on the way man.