Published: 2014/07/17

Paul McCartney References Phish in Interview

Paul McCartney referenced Phish in a new interview with Rolling Stone. The legendary musician and former Beatle name dropped the band after being asked if he ever felt like “tearing up the setlist” and playing whatever he wanted, saying:

Yeah, we occasionally do that, just for the fun of it. But it’s not like I’m Phish, you know. Certainly, there’s a load of people in the audience that would want us to do that, but I have to be a bit conscious that there’s a load of people that wouldn’t. Last night at the show, I said, “I know what you think of new numbers.” Because when we do the old numbers – something like “And I Love Her” – I see all the phones come out. You see all the little lights, ding-ding-ding-ding-ding, like Disneyland. And why did you just get your phone out? “Because it’s my old favorite.” That’s reality. And like me and the Bill Haley concert, I don’t want to cheat those people. So we mix it up occasionally, but mainly we hope we’re pleasing the various facets in the audience.

People say, “But why do you care, man?” Someone like Bob Dylan doesn’t necessarily care – he’ll just do what he wants, and that’s cool. I say, “Yeah, but I have these memories that haunt me of these concerts that I went to and these records that I bought.” I don’t want those people in my audience thinking, “Hey, we came for big hits, and you played a bunch of shit.”

As previously reported, McCartney is currently gearing up for the remainder of his Out There Tour, which will make its next stop at Target Field in Minneapolis.

Comments

Rick July 17, 2014, 13:02:07

People are paying big money for Paul McCartney tickets obviously they aren’t paying this money to see him do anything other then his big hits. I’d be pissed if I paid that kind of money to see him play solo stuff that I had never heard. As opposed to Phish who charge 30 dollars and have fans that WANT to hear them play an obscure song that isn’t played much once in a while.

Clive Bigsby July 17, 2014, 13:06:56

His new album is fantastic.

Gabby July 17, 2014, 13:10:33

@Rick $30?!!! – Try $60+

Bill July 17, 2014, 13:13:37

Haha, I wish Phish tickets were $30. Maybe in 1996.

Lizzard July 17, 2014, 13:20:53

30 $ ??? Maby back in the 90’s !! Don’t say 30 $ when you have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Ashley .Nicole July 17, 2014, 13:23:54

Ive never paid more than $40 for a phish ticket, and the last show I was in 2013. Depends on the venue and event as well, new years can be pricier for example

JKuss80 July 17, 2014, 13:28:41

Lawn tickets to Phish in Chicago are $40. Just sayin.

runlikeanantelope July 17, 2014, 13:29:49

Yeah ive gotten em for $40-$50 but not off sites.

Peter July 17, 2014, 13:35:54

Last weekend at Randalls Island NYC was $60 or $150 for all 3 nights as a package. Lets not forget the fees though. My first Phish show in 88 was 9 bucks.

Drew July 17, 2014, 13:53:03

Paul’s New album is really good. And the new tracks he plays from that album seem to fit seamlessly into his shows with his older beloved material. The solution here is for Paul to please the fans of his solo work by playing a couple small shows of SOLO PAUL. I understand that fans come to his concerts wanting to hear Beatles songs and the best Wings songs but he’s released a wealth of great albums since the late 90s — Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation, Run Devil Run, Electric Arguments, and his latest New — and it’s a shame that we never get to hear most of that material live.

ronnie July 17, 2014, 14:25:30

This is an interesting comment. I suppose it is a compliment if he brings up two bands and one is Dylan and one is Phish. Mike, Fish, Trey, Dylan and Page. It’s interesting how similar they all are. For what it is worth I couldn’t see Dylan filling up SPAC three nights in a row in 2014 but I’m not here to throw stones. Dylan is good, Paul is good and Phish are good.

Mat July 17, 2014, 14:29:39

I just saw Paul in Chicago, paid big bucks for it, and would have very much appreciated him switching up his song selection at least a little bit. All the setlists are looking (almost) identical so far. The Beatle’s catalogue is so well-loved top to bottom that virtually every song is a smash hit to a majority of the fans. Admittedly, I was aiming for deeper cuts solely out of the Beatles catalogue and not so much Wings or solo material, but I feel that is a safer venture off the somewhat static approach he’s taking. **A Magical Mystery Tour < Fool on the Hill < Flying trio would be really cool, though very unrealistic. Would have loved/hope folks on this tour get to see any of the following added in: Why Don’t We Do It In The Road
Oh, Darling!
Getting Better
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I’ve Got a Feeling I was happy he played 4 songs of New, though. Overall, great show!

ben July 17, 2014, 19:05:08

I paid 120$ for all 3 nights at northerly island… thats 40$ a night. Phish is still afordable….depending on the venue you choose to see them at…

ben July 17, 2014, 19:08:36

my 120 was for 3 nights of FLOOR tix…. gotta sign up for the lottery tbe day they release the tour

Dreadiewookbitch!!!! July 17, 2014, 20:03:39

I just give knobbers in the parking lot for tix or whatever I want or floor space or whatever. So much love to give and not enough mens to please. Free shit is awesome(:

js July 17, 2014, 20:17:42

You can find tickets laying on the ground at most shows these days…

lamont sanford July 17, 2014, 20:32:22

Gas prices have doubled in 5 years…phish tix doubled in 20. I prefer the latter rate of inflation. Cool that paul mentioned the boys though.

bill July 17, 2014, 21:43:21

I know a girl that traded head to see the dead play red rocks only to find out it a fake. Like mr. K West says its better to be dick than a sucker

Bob July 17, 2014, 22:36:30

Ben did not purchase 3 floor tickets for $40 each thru Phish tickets by mail. He’s mistaken

phish phan July 18, 2014, 00:36:11

Why must you go to every public mention of the greatest band in the world, and then find a reason to be negative to others with your comments? WOW he thought tickets were 30$... what an insult?
And btw, the greatest show in the last 5 years TAHOE, (both nites) i watched people selling tickets for under $30 at the gate, and some given away for free.
Turns out those ticket sites are good for something. I love it when scalpers get whats coming to em.

Pappy shaps July 18, 2014, 11:03:09

I predict a Paul or Beatles cover at an upcoming Phish show

Mockingbird July 18, 2014, 20:10:47

So… basically he’s saying that Phish play a bunch of shit that most people don’t want to hear.

JR July 21, 2014, 20:05:59

No Mockingbird, he’s saying he doesn’t completely mix up the set list every night. Don’t read more into it than that.

Taxin' July 22, 2014, 01:30:40

Every time Phish hit some sort of milestone in the early ’90s I found myself elated to see the home team…the band I thought would always be some sort of underground weirdness…getting places. Its been a while since iv had this feeling. Exactly, Paul…its not like you are PHISH!!!

Wilson November 24, 2014, 13:38:58

Astounding that ANYONE pays to see Phish!
Sure they have many musical skills (getting a guitar tone is NOT one of them), but the songs are as goofy, dumb and bad and no one can sing!
I think it’s a great representation of how so many Americans have ZERO taste in music.