Published: 2014/07/25

Mike Gordon Joins Gov’t Mule in Charlotte

Photo: Heath Robson

Ahead of Phish’s show at the PNC Music Pavilion in Charlotte tonight, bassist Mike Gordon came to town early to sit in with Gov’t Mule during their show at the Uptown Amphitheatre in downtown Charlotte. Gordon replaced bassist Jorgen Carlsson during part of the second set for a special drums and bass jam that also featured a “Cactus Dragonfly Jam” with Craig Sorrells, who also guested throughout the show.

Sorrells, who is head of the Craig Sorrells Project, also lent his instrument to “Stratus” in the first set as well as “Silent Scream Pt. 2” in the second set following the jam with Mike Gordon. Next up for Mule is a slot at Alpharetta, GA’s Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre alongside longtime pals The Avett Brothers.

Here’s a look at the setlist as it appears in our Box Scores section:

Gov’t Mule
Uptown Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC

Set I: World Boss, Blind Man In The Dark, Streamline Woman, Inside Outside Woman Blues, Broke Down On The Brazos > Tributary Jam, Captured, World Gone Wild, Stratus*, Bring On The Music

Set II: No Reward, Funny Little Tragedy, Beautifully Broken > Breakdown > Beautifully Broken, Lively Up Yourself > Drums > Flash Jam^ > Cactus Dragonfly Jam^^ > Silent Scream Pt. 2*, Time To Confess, Thorazine Shuffle

Enc: Break On Through (To The Other Side)

Notes: *with Craig Sorrells ^with Mike Gordon ^^with Craig Sorrells and Mike Gordon

Source: www.mule.net

Comments

40acres July 25, 2014, 14:40:02

Phish would be blessed to have Warren return the favor tonight!

tenn jed July 25, 2014, 15:24:07

Some of you guys on this site are boring with your pushing of Warren. Give it a break please. I like Warren and believe he is good , but some of you guys think he jams on water.

bill July 25, 2014, 16:09:14

Dear ted jed , no were in your ramblings did you have a logical point . Blaa blaa i like warren but i dont really like warren. We are now stupider for reading your post. Were you drunk when writing it?

me July 25, 2014, 16:17:57

Warren is great… musician and person… but to each his own… and I think a guest appearance with Phish tonight is a possibility (even if Phish guest sit-ins don’t happen too often and don’t always hit the high note)... if you’ve never heard the great Ritz Power Jam stuff that Warren did back in the day, one of which included most (all?) of Phish along with many other great musicians, it’s worth looking up… a taste of that tonight with Warren and Trey trading licks would be cool!

Pine Trees July 25, 2014, 16:33:04

This was and still is a great show! Plus my first!!! 12/11/1995 Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME Soundcheck: Dog Log, The Wedge, Funky Bitch, Poor Heart Set 1: My Friend, My Friend1 > Ha Ha Ha, Stash, Prince Caspian, Reba2, Dog Log, Llama, Dog Log, Tube, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, Julius > Cavern Set 2: The Curtain > David Bowie, The Mango Song > Taste That Surrounds, Scent of a Mule, Harry Hood, Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, Funky Bitch3
Encore: While My Guitar Gently Weeps3
[1] No “Myfe” ending.
[2] No whistling.
[3] Warren Haynes on guitar.

tenn jed July 25, 2014, 17:12:41

Dear Bill I think maybe you should read my post over – it all made sense all the way through and by the way my post NEVER said” I did not like Warren”. I am sure you did not catch on to the “jam on water” line. As for people reading the post YOU sound like an uneducated “stupider” (nice word) person.
Also – “were” is a past tense word. I would have used “where”. Then again you used the word “ stupider”.

Phish Baiter July 26, 2014, 05:37:10

Gordon should have performed a rendition of “Good Morning Little School Girl”.

augustwest@comcast.net July 26, 2014, 12:16:03

Is there nothin’ without all these people bitchin and moanin ? It is similar to a womens beauty shop with all the nit pickin,name callin all of the above. How does this sound people, go to the shows that have all the bands you dig and hear the music you dig. I only go to check out maybe 4 live acts these days i just can’t digest most of these bands coming around. I check sum of my tix stubs frum deadngarcia shows back when and find $ 6.50, $ 6.00, price tags the service charges were change on the dollar. Best band and best guitarist? stp the fightin cause there isn’t 1. Whatever moves me and adds to the overall good feelings thru out the day that is the best for me. How is it people argue forever about this topic. We were fortunate to catch the lions share of our 400+ shows before brent passed because after Brent the Grateful Dead was Over and it went south at an alarming rate. Thank God we caught all we did while it was real. This FURTHER nonsense is just that NON SENSE

augustwest@comcast.net July 26, 2014, 12:16:05