Features

Published: 2013/02/20
by Mike Greenhaus

Butch Trucks: Beacon Bound

Another event that you are involved in outside the Allman Brothers this year is the Roots Rock Revival. It is an instructional fan-friendly weekend featuring you, Oteil Burbridge and the North Mississippi All-Stars Duo. How did you come up with the idea for this weekend and what will your role be onsite?

I came up with the idea. I went up to this place called The Full Moon Resort up in the Catskills last year. A friend of mine had come across it, and he and I went and spent two or three days up there. I think what’s left of King Crimson was doing a similar type of event and it was totally different from anything I had ever seen. Luther and Cody Dickinson from North Mississippi Allstars, Oteil Burbridge and myself are the basic skeletal band for the weekend. We are going to play every night and have different people play with us. Marc Quinones has agreed to come play with us and we are trying to get several other people, too.

We are going to have different workshops during the day. The first day I’ll be giving a drum workshop—a master class or seminar—and then the next day Cody will give one. Maybe the next day Cody and I will do one together with two sets of drums. And then Oteil will be giving a master class on the bass, and Luther will be giving a class on playing on the guitar and songwriting, the things that he excels in. Every night we’ll have a concert for everyone up there.

[The four of us] haven’t played a whole lot together, and we were wondering when we’d get time to rehearse. Then it occurred to me that these kids who are coming might really enjoy is to see how it all happens. So what we’ll do is have a rehearsal during the day for the show we’re going to play that night and invite all the kids at the camp to come watch the rehearsal—they will get a feel for how the whole thing works and how it operates. Also, we’ve got our manager coming in to give a talk on how not to get screwed in the music business. I’m serious.

There are all kinds of things we are going to do. I mean, right now we’ve got a general idea of what we’re going to do but it’s a long time until June, and I’ve got the whole of May off. What I’d really like to do is to get people coming to our website and start getting people joining in on the conversation, telling us what they would like to see. Someone might come up with an idea and say, “I’d like to see you do this.” And we will try to come up with a workshop where we explain how we do that.

One thing I want to do is put together anywhere from a 1-3 hour talk about Duane Allman in the early days of the Allman Brothers, complete with a Powerpoint presentation with pictures and videos that people have never seen before. I’m talking about things that we’ve been holding back that we won’t put on the internet but that we’ll use in this type of situation. We’re only going to sell like 100 tickets because we don’t want this to feel too—we want everyone to feel like they’re part of an intimate setting.

Part of what we’ll do everyday is hang out with all the kids. The one thing they have at this camp is a gourmet chef. The way this Full Moon Resort works is they make his money by doing weddings on the weekends, and then do these rock and roll camps during the week. So they need a gourmet chef for the weddings, and he’s kept around for the rock and roll camps.

So this is a rock and roll camp but you’ve got fine china, silver and everything else. They serve gourmet food for breakfast, dinner, lunch and munchies. We’ll all be hanging out, we’ll all be eating with everyone that comes in. We’ll be hanging out and talking to them and interacting. They call it “beyond backstage,” a way of coming and seeing how it all works. You can’t do it by going to concerts or even coming backstage. We’ll be there together for 24 hours, and we can cover a lot of ground in that much time.

In the past few years, the whole rock and roll fantasy camp idea has really moved to a new level…

Yeah, I think people will be really blown away by this, I really do. I think this is going to be a lot of fun and these are going to be diehard fans who are really, really interested in knowing all there is to know about The Allman Brothers. They’re going to learn a helluva lot they don’t know at this camp.

Have you had a chance to listen to the new Duane Allman box set Skydog that’s coming out?

No, no I haven’t. I have not received a copy yet. I mean of course I’ve listened to it—I’ve played on all the recordings—but I haven’t heard the box set and I’m really, really looking forward to getting a hold of it and reading what Galadrielle [Allman] has written about her father. I’ve had several conversations with her about Duane and she’s brilliant, brilliant—I mean she’s just like her dad, smart as a whip. This is her exercise—or whatever you want to call it. It’s the way she gets to know her father. He died when she was an infant so she never got to really know him.

He was such a spectacular human being and she knows that, but now she wants to know what made him so spectacular. And she’s finding out—I’ve had a couple of long conversations with her and I’m curious to see what she came up with. Apparently, she wrote quite a long piece that’s part of the package.

She’s kept a low profile for years but I remember seeing her in photos with The Allman Brothers Band at last year’s Grammys when you received the Lifetime Achievement Award.

She’s a brilliant young lady and I know that what she writes is going to be spot on and I just can’t wait to read it.

Comments

T February 21, 2013, 09:37:18

I love the Allman Brothers, but Butch is an arrogant ass. You didn’t play on all the tracks to the new Duane box set. It is overwhelmingly Duane’s session work with other artists.

dk70 February 21, 2013, 09:55:17

Butch rules. I met him at DTB w Susan gig and he was totally cool. Plus he never gets his due as one of the greatest and well rounded drummers ever.

Luke February 21, 2013, 14:34:43

Reality is that the Allmans are phenomenal now and they were also astoundingly great in the 90s. Great to know Gregg is, seemingly, ok, that they may be doing a new album, and may be touring a bunch this year and next. Rocknroll

Whats done is done February 22, 2013, 05:32:33

I hope Butch is right and their is going to be new music.

Craig Ruskey February 22, 2013, 06:53:42

Arrogant? I don’t think so. I don’t think Butch is saying that he played on every track. I think he’s referring to having played on all the Allman Brothers tracks that will be included in the box set.

D February 22, 2013, 17:21:07

Couldn’t help himself-still had to take a swipe at dickey a decade later…love the ABB, but these days Butch is an angry little man with the stink of moogis’ failure still wafting from his bike shorts.

Bab's Uvula February 25, 2013, 12:16:57

“In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,” written by Dickie Betts, is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written in the rock era. I wonder what Butch is thinking these days as he’s playing it? Is it, “Man this sucks, I HATE playing Dickie’s shitty tune!” or is it, “I wonder what color I’m gonna paint the walls in my chalet in France?” You know, the chalet he can afford because people are still paying him to play Dickie’s tune?

Rocco Walsh February 25, 2013, 13:54:07

I’m not old enough to have been able to see the original lineup, so I take what I can get whatever lineup ABB is. They are one of my favorite bands ever, it will be great to get out hopefully this year and check them out again. One thing I think that is so cool, is the whole family of great music that has grown as a result of ABB. Derek and Susan (Tedeschi Trucks), Devon Allman, Govt Mule, Warren’s solo work. Jaimoe’s got some cool stuff.

Peter Geromini February 26, 2013, 13:52:39

Great read here,the life of a rock and roll band has its turbulance for sure, Im Greatful Greggs health has improved and they are still putting their fans FIRST, much love and respect for Mr. Trucks

dk70 February 26, 2013, 17:56:25

Butch is thinking “Liz Reed is an awesome tune, too bad the guy that wrote it was an intolerable drunk, or else he would still be standing center stage.”

Rich Boehme March 1, 2013, 12:35:25

I’m going March 5th to t’he Beacon.I can’t wait for that special night. The Brothers have been the music of my life for 42 yrs.

Rich Boehme March 1, 2013, 12:38:43

Rich Boehme March 1, 2013, 12:38:50

Rich Boehme March 1, 2013, 12:38:54

JE March 1, 2013, 21:18:41

Rich is going March 5th to t’he Beacon.He can’t wait for that special night. The Brothers have been the music of his life for 42 yrs.

tpc March 2, 2013, 12:40:00

fukin unions crap all over everything

rocket1air March 3, 2013, 15:23:36

As many people already know, ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed’ was a collaborative effort of the original lineup even tho Mr Betts got the writing credit. The song is what it is today because of the contributions of the entire band. Peace, brothers & sisters.

JKD March 4, 2013, 11:29:06

I don’t know Butch or Gregg or Dickey and it’s safe to say no one who has commented on this topic does. I only know that they haven’t played together in over 10 years. I haven’t gone to see the band since that split happened and I first saw them in 1974. Doesn’t mean that the band all of the sudden stinks. For me without ALL of the surviving original members on stage it’s not the band I want to see. No knock against Warren and Derek, who are outstanding guitarists.

Tom March 8, 2013, 15:13:28

Dickey should replace him on drums…

Hotlanta May 26, 2013, 21:54:41

I am very excited about attending this. I hope there is a two drummer seminar as that would help me alot. I can’t wait to get the opportunity to play beside Butch! Ready for some Trout fishing too!