Published: 2010/08/27

The Saga of the Phish Jumper Continues

As we’ve previously reported, on the final night of Phish’s Summer Tour at Wantagh, NY’s Nikon at Jones Beach Theater, a 25-year-old fan jumped from the venue’s upper balcony during setbreak. An AP story now indicates that Luke Duplessis, who landed in a lower section of the venue will be charged with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct. Duplessis was set to be arraigned on Friday in Hempstead, N.Y., with no additional details yet available.

Comments

Bobby M. August 27, 2010, 16:51:38

Good!

shea August 27, 2010, 17:24:07

Maybe they should open up fall tour with either Limb By Limb or Bouncing Around the Room in Luke’s honor. But still, he’s an idiot!

Cleeetus August 27, 2010, 18:09:44

He pleaded not guilty. His lawyer said he didn’t jump, but fell.

Kelly August 27, 2010, 18:12:18

He’s 30, not 25.

Joe August 28, 2010, 03:07:28

The trajectory path corroborates the charges. One doesn’t fall “out”; one falls “down.”

Marco August 28, 2010, 12:50:11

Actually, If one were to tumble from a higher in the aisle and while trying to balance you make matters worse by gaining momentum, it is quite possible that he fell and is just terribly clumsy and uncoordinated. I mean who here hasn’t fallen off a balcony at a show before?
I like the bouncing around the room idea.
I blame the state of New york, that place blows.

Frank August 29, 2010, 17:44:21

You guys are all losers! People don’t just jump face first off of a 25 ft. balcony. That kid was spun on L is what I have heard. Total accident you punks!

Daren August 30, 2010, 08:04:17

When someone decides to do LSD, there should “free pass” when a person can’t handle their drug intake and decides to puddle themselves on the section below charges should get pressed! Charlie Manson and those girls murdered Sharon Tait on acid but I never heard anyone call that an accident, “I was just losing face hanging out with this knife and then I fell over on Roman Polanski’s first wife, oh no!” This person was no “kid” when your 30 doing L at a Phish show you’ve been beating around the bush for awhile! This dude probally thought he was back in college taking some bush-league white blotter from the 90’s, but the banker said I don’t have that, but I sure got some powerful pills!

Daren August 30, 2010, 08:20:28

Should “ NOT “ have a free pass, my bad!

Mike P August 30, 2010, 08:41:28

As the great comedian Bill Hicks once said, “if he thought he could fly, why didnt he try taking off from the ground!” Its people like that that ruin it for the reast of the recreational drug takers !!

Ben August 30, 2010, 13:01:53

I was at a Panic show on New Years, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Can’t remember exactly. A guy fell out of the balcony above us a few rows in front of us. He landed in some open seats (it was the start of second set I think, no everyone was back sitting down). He landed kind of sideways, stood up, dazed and confused and walked out into the concourse. The guy sitting next to us was right there when it happened and asked the kid of he was alright. he said the kid was really flying on something. I’ll bet the fall was about 20 feet or so. Pretty nuts.

brandon August 30, 2010, 16:52:23

@Daren, I agree somewhat. But you’re misuse of the expression beating around the bush is pretty funny

Concert Confessions August 30, 2010, 18:36:35

We all know this dude jumped because he was depressed that Phish has not properly toured the west coast since getting back together.

tractorboy September 1, 2010, 11:29:32

He probably couldn’t stand the sound of Trey’s wanking and had to jump.

shred73 September 2, 2010, 09:11:34

Hope he gets charged and whacked with the financial penalties of bringing all of those emergency medical personnel on site who actually should be responding to emergencies. This is some kid who had a bad first experience on something. Its a 25 years old who has obviously been making bad decisions the first 7 years of his adult life. He ran and jumped and landed 10 rows past where he wouldl have fallen. He took whatever he took that night and it’s on him now.

Bagman September 3, 2010, 16:01:00

Does anybody know if this is the same guy who was trying to book/promote shows in a room in central Maine a few years back?

Catapult September 6, 2010, 07:27:11

Isn’t easy to see he thought he was the famous mockingbird?