Published: 2011/04/01

Butch Trucks To Retire Dickey Bashing After Next Beacon Run

Founding Allman Brothers Band drummer Butch Trucks has confirmed that will offer his final rehashed criticisms and ad hominem attacks of Dickey Betts at the close of the group’s 2012 Beacon Theater Run. As previously reported, the legendary group has performed 200 shows at the New York Theater. Trucks—who has been at odds with Dickey Betts in the media since early 2000—will tour behind his Betts insults this summer. When asked about the Allman Brothers Band’s 200th show at the Beacon, Trucks replied, “We hope to break out some of our favorite Dickey jabs before bringing this thing to an end—have I ever described how he eats a danish?”

Comments

Butch Trucks July 16, 2011, 11:34:54

I just came across this. All I can figure is that it is either someone posting in my name or an April Fool’s joke. Sure as hell isn’t anything remotely like what I did or would say. Enough already.

jim May 18, 2012, 07:51:29

Dont even know this guy. but at the grammys. he talks way too much. he believes he is the star of th show….Gregg always the star…. this guy has the big head,,, needs to come back down too earth.

Dave April 6, 2011, 16:16:54

I really hate Butch Trucks. He can’t give this thing a rest. Dickey, though has had his share of problems IS still the man. Little does realize that a Dickey reunion with the band would satisfy most ABB fans. No disrespect to Warren and Derek of course, but Butch can suck it. And your Moogus is a fuckin rip off. Good luck with getting subscribers.

Chip April 8, 2011, 16:44:09

Butch needs to stop acting like a teenage girl. Who publicly announces a year in advance that he will stop talking shit after 20 years??? Regardless of Dickey’s transgressions, that’s retarded. As for Dickey, he has had his problems in the past, and those of us who saw him play live know that HE was really the soul of the ABB after Duane died, though many would argue that Gregg played that role. No disrespect to guitar legends Warren & Derek, but the ABB hasn’t felt right since Dickey was kicked out. It seems almost unfathomable that the ABB would continue to tour for a decade without Dickey. Jimmy Herring, the ultimate hired-gunmen to replace legendary guitarists, eventually walked away from the ABB because he said it felt wrong to be playing in place of Dickey while he was still alive and well. The greatest thing any of those men could do at this point in their musical careers is to bury the hatchet and reunite the Allmans with Dickey. Some say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one…

Chip April 8, 2011, 16:45:43

rapscallion April 11, 2011, 16:10:01

I’m guessing Chip, Dave and Darren don’t and didn’t realize this was an April Fool’s joke. What a buncha tools.

Icenine April 2, 2011, 10:36:07

Pete Best Trucks ought to shut the fuck up.

Angelemerald April 1, 2011, 14:51:47

Hysterical. Love it. And I love Butch and Dickey too. :-)

Darren April 1, 2011, 10:34:54

Butch should really grow up. I’m sure they don’t like each other but why make it public. It was nice that he didn’t plug Moogis though…must have been tough for him

Darren April 1, 2011, 10:36:27

Butch should really grow up. I’m sure they don’t like each other but no need to make this public again…even if it is a joke. Dickey isn’t the same player but he did carry the band through eat a peach and brothers and sisters….two greats. It was nice that Butch didn’t plug Moogis though in each sentence…must have been tough for him

darren April 1, 2011, 10:37:34

PS…April Fools back at you!

CircleLimit April 1, 2011, 13:24:00

Is it really bashing if it’s the truth?

AIP April 1, 2011, 14:23:55

well played

HARRY PALMER April 1, 2011, 17:06:50

Dickey Betts after being out of The ABB for a decade as far as I know has never resorted to Butch Bashing. I am certain Dickey could relate some stories from the past that would make Mr. Trucks cringe if he really wanted to.