Published: 2012/11/17

Pete Seeger, Harry Belafonte, Jackson Browne and More to Play Benefit for Activist in NYC

Pete Seeger, Harry Belafonte, Jackson Browne and more will play a concert to bring attention to the struggle of Native American activist Leonard Peltier. The event will take place at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on Friday, December 14. Tickets go on sale Saturday, November 7 and can be purchased here. Former boxing champion Rubin “Hurricane” Carter will also make an appearance at the concert. Carter was wrongfully convicted of a triple murder in 1966, and was released from prison in 1985 after years of support from various musicians, including Bob Dylan (who wrote his song “Hurricane” about Carter).

Leonard Peltier was sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of murdering two FBI agents during a conflict on the Pine River Indian Reservation in 1975. His case has been the subject of controversy and a number of musicians have taken up his cause, including Rage Against the Machine and U2.

Comments

clotilde sofikitis November 17, 2012, 02:39:17

Thank you all for working to free Leonard Peltier. Wish I could be there! Please help us with speaking up to free Leo Peltier
Mitakuye Oyasin.
Clotilde’ La Kote’ It does not require many words to tell the truth

Jack Magee November 17, 2012, 11:19:03

Thanks to the great Pete Seeger and Harry Belafonte for keeping this concert alive. Leonard Peltier has never received justice or anything resembling a fair trial. He has waited in a steel cage for 37 endless years. Unthinkable. Thanks to all who are making this long overdue event happen. And prayers for Leonard for freedom soon so he can go home and heal among his own people and with his family.

soul stu November 17, 2012, 16:47:30

Amen.

Dawn Blake Souza November 17, 2012, 21:07:25

Join the chorus of voices
from around the world in singing,
“Freedom for Leonard, Justice for Indigeneous People,
Compassion for our brother.”

jesus salgueiro November 18, 2012, 08:07:00

Leonard Peltier is the the Nelson Mandela of American Indians

Wyndd Drummer Woman November 18, 2012, 09:32:59

Aho! May freedom for Leonard be soon!

Brian O'Connell November 19, 2012, 12:19:42

It is an extreme miscarriage of Justice that this great man has sat in prison so long. www.whoisleonardpeltier.info

ruth housman November 21, 2012, 07:52:40

I am trying to buy tickets. Can anyone give me a link that works for the concert so I can do this? Leonard is a friend. We have communicated by letter over the years, and I really WANT to be there. Please let me know, if you get this. I just went to The Site, and you cannot click on the links to get them to open. Maybe this is a temporary glitch. ruth

Bilal Ali November 25, 2012, 04:30:16

We will probably plan something in Los Angeles around this event on the same date…maybe skype something. We have worked on Leonard’s case and getting awareness out there about him over the years. We are committed to the work of freeing him and other political prisoners.
bilal ali – co-chair, Occupy The Hood LA Action Assembly

Glen Douglas November 26, 2012, 18:07:14

FROM NIIJII,
FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW!!!!!!!

Lauri de Temmerman November 27, 2012, 14:13:32

This is a mockery of the American judicial system that this man has been wrongfully imprisioned at all, let alone this many years. I am hoping the concert will get the creaky,stalled wheels of justice in motion at last. Bless the people that are taking action in this event. May Leonard be freed at last!

Rachel December 1, 2012, 20:16:10

Leonard was NOT convicted of murder at all – the charge was aiding and abetting!

Stefan White December 3, 2012, 08:17:04

Rachel, you are absolutely correct but that doesn´t change the circumstances. Almost all evidence provided by the FBI was conjured, coerced or perjured. And they ruined/are destroying the lives of many innocent people in doing so.

Jane Mazzone December 3, 2012, 10:58:48

I have two tickets that are 8th row orchestra for the Beacon Theater for the 14th. I am unable to attend so I am going to sell them. I paid $262 for them but will take any reasonable offer. Please email.

Bob Stika December 3, 2012, 22:00:07

For those of us unable to attend the concert,but have worked over the years to write letters to the Whitehouse to get Leonard released,is there any plans for a video? I wish
there would be..I would love to have one.Free Leonard Peltier!!!!!!

dlig December 11, 2012, 08:21:23

free leonard! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRB3YS1YCQM&feature=plcp

Susan McLucas December 14, 2012, 20:10:48

I thought I heard the concert would be live-streamed. I can’t find it. Am I missing it or did I hear wrong or did you all change your minds? I’ve been looking forward to seeing and hearing it all week. I hope it’s a rousing success.
Free Leonard Peltier!

Per Olsen, Denmark January 3, 2013, 16:01:31

In his “Holiday Greetings” Leonard wrote: “I am grateful to all those who came together to drum and sing and play and speak for me in New York City. I have heard that it was a wonderful evening of love and music and that the audience was both multi-cultural and ranged in age from 8 years old to two women from Massachusetts in their 90’s. And of course I say Thank You to the
ageless Pete Seeger and Harry Belafonte who stayed with this idea and finally made it become reality. And a personal Thank You to all who were there for me. The names are too many to list and I am afraid I might forget someone so I will just offer my thanks for all you” Source: contact@whoisleonardpeltier.info Free Leonard Peltier – not guilty in murder not really guilty in aiding or abating (other than in self-defense) – and with a parole long overdue even if guilty. Love those VIPs who can see more than just their own nose :-)

James Simon January 17, 2013, 09:18:54

For a different take on the “Bring Leonard Peltier Home” concert, see aimmythbusters.com

James Simon April 10, 2013, 16:18:16

Why is Leonard Peltier still behind bars? And what about the concert? Read some of the answers here: aimmythbusters.com