Published: 2013/01/16

Warren Haynes Will Honor Jerry Garcia with the Boston Pops

The Boston Pops will celebrate the music of Jerry Garcia this summer. The orchestra will perform a selection of Garcia originals, Grateful Dead songs and other associated material at Stockbridge, MA’s Tanglewood on June 22. Warren Haynes will join the esteemed symphony for the performance, which has been dubbed the Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration. The Boston Pops usually perform with a non-classical act every June. Past collaborators include My Morning Jacket, Ricky Skaggs, Guster and others. There will be a few more cities and orchestras announced shortly for Haynes’ Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration.

Comments

Seriously January 16, 2013, 16:16:45

This will be great. Lets not be totally insane and compare the Boston Pops to the Marin Symphony, that’s like comparing Bobby Hurley to Michael Jordan

peacesignguy January 16, 2013, 12:42:45

Um… is it just me, or does this seem kind of odd? Might be fun though!

Marci Eversole January 16, 2013, 13:55:04

It is going to be great. i saw bobby do something like this with the Marin Symphony last year and it was bone-chillinly awesome!

Glenn January 16, 2013, 19:13:49

Please let this come to NY. Trey with the philharmonic was one of the best shows ever.

Doug R. January 16, 2013, 20:03:29

This is gonna be GRATE!! I got to get a sdb patch for this.I told Warren WAAAY back in 97 he should be the guitarist in …what was THEN going to be “The Other Ones”.He just laughed & shook it off.When he joined the DEAD I reminded him & he shyly admitted the previous conversation & laughed again.Well Warren…........????

Dana January 17, 2013, 18:18:33

@Seriously, Are you suggesting that the Marin Symphony is a superior organization to the Boston Pops, or are you suggesting the reverse? Anyway, if you think the Boston Pops is some kind of Mickey-Mouse operation than you are sadly mistaken and poorly informed. The Pops is a celebrated and revered American institution. I’m not sure I can say the same about the Marin Symphony.

Robbyz January 19, 2013, 16:26:39

@Dana checkout some basketball stats and compare Bobby Hurley to Michael Jordan and you see that seriously is saying exactly what you said

BjC January 19, 2013, 22:07:21

Thank warren and the Pops..

BjC January 19, 2013, 22:08:02

Thank you Warren and the Pops..

bluedevil January 27, 2013, 13:18:00

Yea, Bobby Hurley only played in 3 NCAA Finals and won 2. How many nets did MJ cut down in college? Then again, the only time the dream team lost was with bobby at the point.

Dana January 29, 2013, 16:35:44

The Boston Pops’ annual July 4th concert is televised live nationally every year on CBS in prime time. John FREAKIN’ Williams was once the conductor of the Pops. He created some of the most iconic film scores ever created. Wynton Marsalis, Yo Yo Ma, James Taylor play with the Pops. The Pops have existed since 1885. They have sold more records than any other classical music organization in history. You just read that correctly. The Pops made the first ever full-length recording of Rhapsody in Blue. I’d say they are an American Institution. I’d say Warren is in great company.

Matt January 31, 2013, 11:27:27

I’ve always thought the Boston Pops playing Tchaikovsky 1812 Oveture reminded me the Dead doing Terrapin Station