Published: 2013/01/31

Trey Anastasio and The Dude of Life Share "Edie’s Dream"

Steve “The Dude of Life” Pollak has shared an original song he co-wrote with Trey Anastasio on SoundCloud. Dubbed “Edie’s Dream,” the song was inspired by one of Andy Warhol’s “cinematic superstars” Edie Sedgwick. Both Pollak and fellow Phish scribe Tom Marshall have shared their unreleased recordings on SoundCloud in recent months.

Pollak says the following about the song:

Trey & I wrote “Edie’s Dream” as a tribute to the beautiful and charismatic Edie Sedgwick, best known for being one of Andy Warhol’s cinematic superstars in the mid-sixties. Back in our high school days, Trey and I were intrigued by the Warhol Factory scene, which included musical artists such as Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground.

In September 2011, Trey and I met up at Rubber Jungle Studios. He and I collaborated on the lyrics and he played acoustic & electric guitars, bass and drums while I played a single note on the triangle.

After a few hours of recording, we sat down for a late lunch and split an olive loaf sandwich and drank some of the finest Kona coffee.

Pollak wrote the lyrics for classic Phish songs like “Suzy Greenberg,” “Fluffhead,” “Dinner and a Movie” and “Sanity,” among others. More recently he worked with Anastasio on “Show of Life,” “Architect,” “Dr. Gabel” and a few other Phish/Trey Anastasio Band originals.

Comments

Missypoo586 February 1, 2013, 16:22:17

I love this. Really captures the timeless beauty of Edie Sedgwick. Not every song has to wail and melt my face until I break out in convulsions. This song makes me smile and float, and that’s not a bad feeling. Looking forward to see where this song will go, would love to see it live one day. Strong work.

phil z February 1, 2013, 16:09:33

the recording may be a bit unrefined but the song has potential and i look forward to seeing it on stage this summer. nice work!

Mark Daniel February 1, 2013, 16:33:37

I really dig this! The recording sounds great and should be appreciated by all! The rawness of the recording adds to the coolness if you ask me.Think about how lucky we are to be able to have these guys share their musical genius with us. Thanks Dude & Trey, it would be cool to see this tune surface again down the road. Keep posting these rarities as us old phans cannot get enough of it! Edie’s walking down!!

AZN February 1, 2013, 16:38:21

Beautiful song! I really hope I get to hear it live. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Todd S February 1, 2013, 16:52:50

I dig this tune & I could see a big outro jam in the live setting. more than anything i think it’s great that Trey and the Dude release this stuff to the fans. This is a track that they hammered out together in a couple hours and it comes complete with some narrative…keep it coming guys!

Thomas February 1, 2013, 17:11:08

This song is awesome. Great subject matter…can’t wait to hear this one live… Keep ‘em coming!

Michael natiello February 1, 2013, 17:14:47

A great collaboration! I would love to hear this evolve into a live version with many layers—there is a geat amount of movement and could only imagine it with more atmosphere. Great storytelling and song writing combo!

Oakbro74 February 1, 2013, 17:27:46

The sky is always blue….never gray
Even if the clouds get in the way
Too true. She was beautiful.
Thanks for sharing this guys!

sneekinsally February 1, 2013, 17:54:40

I love these lyrics! And i love that Steve & Trey are Edie fans.

Phish Phan February 1, 2013, 18:30:30

I got inspired and put this video together: http://youtu.be/bd5VIOjF7WE Hope you like it! Nice job Dude & Trey!

Oakbro74 February 1, 2013, 19:29:35

The sky is always blue never gray
Even when the clouds get in the way
Sweet!

noah phence February 5, 2013, 22:36:39

For a wimpy phish song it still sounds better than Crowd Control or Brian And Robert. Keep the jams coming guys!

Carissa Lynelle February 17, 2013, 23:37:59

Hello. I currently am raising funds for my film, “Edie,” on kickstarter. My trailer for it is up on the site. My film is based on the life of Edie Sedgwick, muse of Andy Warhol and famous 60’s socialite. My campaign ends in 25 days so I need all the support I can get. Let me know.. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andywarhol/edie-sedgwick-tribute-film